Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791017 times)

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
Re: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!
« Reply #2550 on: November 25, 2013, 02:34:38 PM »
About the solder issue--it wasn't because of the lead-free soldering was used, it was more or less operator error.  Lead-free was new and operators weren't trained to tell the difference between a good joint or not. 

But the main cause for "bad" joints to fail was the GPU heat issue which caused warpage and stress to badly solder joints.   

-----------------------

Just about all electronics is using lead-free even the WII which never had an issue.

-----------------------

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: November 25, 2013, 04:11:30 PM »
Exactly. You can overclock a PC processor - you cannot overclock an Xbox 360 processor, especially through a game.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: November 25, 2013, 04:16:58 PM »
About the solder issue--it wasn't because of the lead-free soldering was used, it was more or less operator error.  Lead-free was new and operators weren't trained to tell the difference between a good joint or not. 

But the main cause for "bad" joints to fail was the GPU heat issue which caused warpage and stress to badly solder joints.   

-----------------------

Just about all electronics is using lead-free even the WII which never had an issue.

-----------------------

Lead-free solder causes this to happen quicker, and it certainly is not operator error. You're not using your console wrong by playing games or watching movies on it. I've fixed *thousands* of RRoD systems, it's not because people are doing anything wrong.

If you mean operator as in the assembly line, that is patently wrong too. These are BGA chips, with hundreds of solder joints under the chip that you can't even look at to determine if it's a good joint or not - and again, this isn't (most of the time) occurring on the assembly line (or your console would be DOA.

The Wii doesn't have this issue because it has better heat management, and better overall design, and it's weak as hell.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: November 25, 2013, 04:21:21 PM »
Having said that, millions of RRoD systems is better than millions of lead-poisoned kids.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: November 25, 2013, 04:26:02 PM »
Having said that, millions of RRoD systems is better than millions of lead-poisoned kids.
I doubt that would happen.  Honestly think at most it be 10's of kids.  You have to open and interact with it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: November 25, 2013, 04:38:30 PM »
Ok, well 10's of kids isn't that bad. I'd probably be dead now though.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: November 25, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
As long as there aren't any "flipper babies."

Anyone who gets that reference is my new best friend.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: November 25, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »
The problem with Lead is not that kids are eating the stuff wholesale out of electronics, it is the end of life disposal problem. Unlike a lot of other toxins, it doesn't break down, so each kilogram of the stuff we dig up and free has to be handled effectively indefinitely. This is made worse by our terrible disposal of electronics which sometimes entail dumping it off in third world countries to be salvaged by the locals.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: November 25, 2013, 10:55:47 PM »
You'd think that this kind of solder could be improved upon with time, like basically anything. Microsoft might have been putting it under too much stress, but it seems like the kind of thing that the tech just wasn't there yet for what they were trying to do.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: November 26, 2013, 07:48:42 AM »
It's not really that, they use more or less the same design that high end GPUs have been using for years (decades?), it's just poor console design choices that made it happen. It's not that it was being put under too much stress, it's that the console wasn't properly designed to handle the normal every day stress (or late-term "push the console to the limits"-strees).

There are many factors that lead to it, lead-free solder certainly did not help, but it's essentially a requirement to sell their console in many countries. Not having proper standoffs like a PC (and the original Xbox), terrible cooling design (way too small of a heat sink for the GPU, which was basically a passive heat sink anyway how the fans are placed), having the GPU and CPU heatsinks mounted to the chassis. Bad choice after bad choice. This changed when they finally released the Jasper (45nm-based GPU) consoles in late 2008.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: December 01, 2013, 12:13:15 AM »
I was thinking about this but I find microsoft's episodic method toward some of their games pretty interesting.

Quantum Break while not truly episodic will be similar to Alan Wake where each of the level's are aimed like a TV series with openings and endings. Sam Lake even teased that Quantum Break will be able to work with the One Guide's app channel to simulate weekly play sections. He also said that they might take a Destiny style route to DLC's and sequels with a every other year deal if they do a sequel.

-Quantum Break (Season 1 and Live action segment)
-Quantum Break season (think of it as a mini series)
-Quantum Break 2 (Season 2 and live action setting.

D4 from Swery will be fully episodic running for a undetrimed set of episodes.

Killer instinct is being delivered in Seasons with the Story mode coming next year along side Fulgore and Season II featuring eight new charcaters and new Modes and story stuff coming out next fall.

I'm not sure what Lift London is working on but form their website's art it looks like its going to be a point and click adventure game.

Last year/earlier this year Microsoft put out Adera for windows 8 is a point to click adventure game that ran for five episoides.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: December 02, 2013, 11:28:44 AM »

So does Best Buy finally have playable Xbox One units on display?  Whenever I went there before launch, they just had a dummy console and a looping video.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: December 02, 2013, 08:54:54 PM »
not sure.

Peggle 2 is a launching next Monday.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: December 02, 2013, 10:33:48 PM »
Can I just go to someones house and start swearing at the xbone so they get banned...

http://www.infowars.com/microsoft-denies-monitoring-skype-calls-after-banning-users-for-bad-language/

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: December 15, 2013, 08:31:30 PM »
I got a chance to try the Xbox One controller at Toys R Us while I was driving around to various Nintendo Zone locations (Toys R Us isn't one but was on the way). I like it. It's comfortable and the D-pad is much improved though it's clicky which I wasn't fond of. Having the battery inside the controller as opposed to bulging out like the 360 controller is a welcome change. I don't mind that it accepts AA batteries, but if Microsoft insisted, it would have been nice if they dropped the price since they're selling rechargeable batteries separately.

Both PS4 and One controllers are major improvements over their predecessors though PS4 is a much greater improvement in my opinion. Compared to each other, I think I give the edge to the One controller. The left analog stick is where I prefer it and it has a much longer battery life even if it isn't lithium ion. I still prefer the Wii U Pro Controller over both.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: December 16, 2013, 10:58:43 PM »
Xbox One is the new PS3?

Not sure how these links will work for you guys

PS3 = out of stock online (including all bundles) and at every store locally
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-ps4-500gb-console/8240103.p?id=1218866963585&skuId=8240103&cmp=RMX&ky=28oPyDFv0KHcisHwQcZfO0qg5PUU1VPjs

Xbox One = in stock online (system by itself and all bundles) and at every store within 100 miles
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?id=pcat17006&type=page&sourceId=1219013502542&sourceType=product&skuId=9008182&productId=1219013502542&itemId=2051276&pageMode=searchmode

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: December 16, 2013, 11:21:27 PM »
I've been on the road a lot the last few weeks in the Portland/Salem, OR corridor, and I've been keeping my eye out for a PS4 in hopes of scalping one for a few extra holiday bucks, but I haven't seen a trace. XBONE has been in stock 3/4s of the time, and in the last week I've seen in on shelves everywhere. It'll be interesting to see if this due to more efficient production by Microsoft or just underproduction by Sony. There are definitely plenty available, though, for all comers.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2567 on: December 16, 2013, 11:31:16 PM »
I'm thinking MS might just be keeping better instocks. The sales were pretty comparable, no?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2568 on: December 16, 2013, 11:33:12 PM »
Sony's trying to stock every major market that isn't Japan, while Microsoft's strategy is US, UK and the rest of y'all can suck it.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2569 on: December 17, 2013, 12:45:58 AM »
Which might be a good strategy.

Saturate the market that has the most likelihood to buy one during the holiday season, and the market that most of the launch games are geared for.  Next year, they can release for Japan and other markets when a few more games that will interest those countries are out. 

I hope both systems do well...and really that is what we should all be hoping for. 

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: December 17, 2013, 05:58:30 AM »
Speak for yourself. MS never should have entered the market in the first place. Their exit would allow far more competent players to enter the market and allow existing players to reduce their risks as they no longer have to compete against an infinite, unproductive money pit.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: December 17, 2013, 02:41:19 PM »
Speak for yourself. MS never should have entered the market in the first place. Their exit would allow far more competent players to enter the market and allow existing players to reduce their risks as they no longer have to compete against an infinite, unproductive money pit.

Why shouldn't they have came into the market. Becuase you have some weird hate hard on for the comapny. I loved my Xbox and my 360 and fun times were had.

No new players would come into the market becuase the industry on the hardware side this isn't the best industry. The closet thing your going to get to new players is next year when Apple, Amazon, and Google decide to enter the market with Oyua style set top boxes.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: December 18, 2013, 07:31:18 AM »
It's simple really. MS never gave a crap about videogames. They had always seen it as a means to an end to get their box into your living room in order to monopolize that space. Their goals disgust me on a philosophical level. Evidence: Xbone.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: December 18, 2013, 10:11:13 AM »
Who gives a ****. At a base level all every company cares about is profit anyway. A good game is a good game regardless. Obviously they had to give some crap to stay in for three generations now.

What do you think Sony's motivations were when they entered the gaming Market in the 90s. Plus corporations as enties can't give a crap anyway.

Your edvidence being Xbox One doesn't even make any fucking sense

Dead Rising 3
Ryse
Killer Instinct
Locoycle
Halo Spartan assault
Max and the Magic Marker
D4
Sunset overdrive
Kinect Sports Rivals
Below
Super Time Force
Fable Legends

That's a alot of games to not give a crap. But than again despite grabbing a PS4 first I much rather have the Xbox One minus DRM future. I think a gaming only device is a bit  dumb these days.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: December 18, 2013, 10:52:51 AM »
It may also be the way Microsoft has prioritized profits over releasing a satisfactory product. The marched out a console that was littered with design issues just to beat Sony to market. Microsoft cares enough not to release an already broken product but not enough to delay a product they know will eventually be broken. Sure, while they paid for it later, that was still a sheisty move. By the time 360 consoles started failing, people were too entrenched in the ecosystem to give it up.

Each company wants to make money. I prefer an approach that prioritizes customer satisfaction. Repeat customers are earned through quality and good will.