Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791081 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Re: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Check-In atleast once every 24hrs!
« Reply #2525 on: November 16, 2013, 02:27:04 AM »
Well I'm team games first and foremost, but to be honest Xbox one is showing more stuff that appeals to me tbh.

I'm getting a Wii U next month and the PS4 seems a bit like an all gamingbmachine something I don't want two of.

I'll probably be going all digital on both consoles as well. The more I think about it but both the PS4 and xbone and to a lesser extent the Wii U are made for digital products.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: November 20, 2013, 09:30:42 AM »
Reviews are out and the gaming press is giving it a bit higher or lower than the PS4. The mainstream tech and regular press are loving the ever living **** out of the thing however.

I do find it interesting that no one is reviewing on specs and instead taking about the potential of the system. Seems like people are giving the XONE left **** than Microsoft since the XONE was being more ambitious than being a better improved PS3. You can easily tell where each company decided their focus.

Xbox One review: This is the console of the future - Fortune

Xbox One Is a Slice of the Future - Rolling Stone

The Xbox One is the closest thing to the future of television we’ve yet seen - Hollywood Reporter

Xbox One a great game player _ and more - AP

Xbox One review: The gaming device that goes far beyond gaming - Consumer Reports

Xbox One: A family-focused console that goes beyond gaming - Washington Post

Xbox One review: Compelling console with a strong lineup of games - NBC News

Some mainstream sites were really definitive in saying the Xbox One was definitely the best choice this holiday:

Only real problem I see is Kinect is still borky as hell but that's voice controls in general. It seems odd that watching all these people fail at voice commands like on the gamespot stream do these guys use stuff like Google Now or Siri. They seem to be igonoring that you have to "Xbox" let it buffer than the command, I was surprised when Kinect would react to the whole mouthful.  It seems that they didn't even attempt to calibrate it or use it like a normal person would. Even Google Now which I sprobably the best first party voice app thingy is Janky as hell when I try to go "OK Google play songs by Hall and Oates" usually I have to say OK google pause and than my voice command.

Just found it funny they had a harder time with the Xbone Kinect than I do with my Kinect for 360.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: November 20, 2013, 12:10:07 PM »
Those kind of reviews are going to kill it for gamers.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: November 20, 2013, 06:06:44 PM »
Not sure why it should, but I do think gamers want something only for games. (ironic how they ignore the Wii U though)

Boogie2988's video comparing both

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIZiA_qzYA4

His breakdown is pretty much

Ps4: For gamers, by gamers. The ultimate game console and gaming system. its awesome. Whether its AAA titles like Second Son or Indie games like Contrast and Rezogun, these guys have an amazing GAMING console.

Xbox: A wonderful entertainment console... that also plays games. Enhanced tv watching, enhanced music/video streaming, built in skype, snapping a web browser onto your screen while you wait to matchmake your online games. Just a great entertainment experience (but you sacrifice somewhat on the video quality for games)

Pretty much you can't go wrong either way. It was pretty telling about target audiences that he like's the PS4 a bit more while his wife could live without it but was enamored by the X1.

My only real worry is indies on the XONE but after the ID program is going I see n reasons for indies to target the Xbox One unless they're dumb. I can stand a Q1 indie drought next year on the One but things should even out in the summer. Rumor is that Micorosoft is waiting to announce the first indie games because they got the Super Meat Boy Guys back.

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: November 21, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »
Just thought I'd mention, as I did in the PS4 thread, for anybody picking up an Xbone.  Battlefield 4, for many people, is an unplayable mess across all platforms so far.  They have disabled features, sent out patches, and sacrificed virgins, yet the game is still quite unstable.  I believe that Conquest/64-player mode is still disabled for the PS4 version, and that was one of the biggest bullet-points for next-gen.  Of course, EA and MS have their "historic partnership", so maybe it'll work fine for the Xbone(which would cause a shitstorm of epic proportions; EA worst company in America three years in a row?).

If you decide to pick it up anyway, the game is excellent when it is working(multiplayer, at least).  Just be prepared for frequent crashing, and various other bugs.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2530 on: November 21, 2013, 07:45:27 PM »
magicpixie:  Did you get BOTH new systems?  And the same game on both?  Are you made of money?

Offline magicpixie

• View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: November 21, 2013, 09:43:14 PM »
Nah, I got the game on PC, but since launch has been plagued by bugs and crashes, I was curious if the experience would be better on PS4.  Turned out, PS4's experience is probably worse, since there's a widespread bug that corrupts your single-player save file, and makes it impossible to play the game at all without reinstalling.  And the highly-touted 64-player Conquest mode is currently unavailable.  There hasn't been much about the game's issues from the gaming media, so I figured I'd give everybody here a heads-up in case they were wondering.

My stance on the Xbone is softening rapidly, and it'll probably end up being what the PS3 was for me last-gen: my secondary console behind the PS4 as long as MS delivers the quality exclusives.  Between now and Christmas is going to be all about Zelda, Mario, and Tearaway(finally, something new for my Vita!).

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2532 on: November 21, 2013, 09:55:42 PM »
Ruh roh raggy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpIi59IXH9A

I know Microsoft wants you to go digital, but sheesh. (Also, can we mock the guy for shooting the video like that?)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: November 23, 2013, 12:47:22 AM »
I saw an XboxOne in person today. Non functioning display model.

The new Kinect is fucking HUGE!! like the size of a box of saltine crackers.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: November 23, 2013, 12:49:55 AM »
I saw an XboxOne in person today. Non functioning display model.

The new Kinect is fucking HUGE!! like the size of a box of saltine crackers.

It's not much bigger than the first Kinect actually.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: November 23, 2013, 01:49:18 AM »
Never realized the 1st Kinect was that big. I knew it wasn't small, and it was kinda long, but the new one is a box.

It's a little thicker than a Wii, about 30% longer and about half as deep. and that's just the single camera box that is Kinect 2.0.
That is big.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: November 23, 2013, 02:15:29 AM »
To give an idea of how big the XBone is you can put the Wii U and normal Wii on top of the console with no over lap.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2537 on: November 23, 2013, 07:09:24 AM »
Saw my first Xbone live demo unit yesterday. Going back to the same store today so I can yell "Xbox Bing Bangbus" and run.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: November 23, 2013, 08:11:32 AM »
Awesome. The Xbone is fucking huge - AND it still has an external power supply, which is baffling. It also runs 15 degrees hotter on average (or at least outputs air that is 15 degrees hotter). SONY has already moved onto the slim PS4, at least in terms of form factor (only 10mm bigger than a PS3 slim) and Xbone is bigger than the original Xbox 360 model.

So, to sum it up...PS4 packs more power (simply by having GDDR5 RAM, and another ARM processor with 256MB RAM), has an INTERNAL power supply, weighs 3 pounds less than the Xbone, and all around looks about 40% smaller. Crazy.

http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/000027cbc/26db/Next-gen-console-size-comparison.jpg

Comparison photo ^

Offline magicpixie

• View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: November 23, 2013, 12:50:22 PM »
Thanks to modern journalism, I only understand size comparisons as factors of Rhode Islands, or refrigerators.  If any of you could rephrase your comparisons to include those, that would be great!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: November 23, 2013, 10:58:20 PM »
Over 9000.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: November 24, 2013, 02:58:14 AM »
Awesome. The Xbone is fucking huge - AND it still has an external power supply, which is baffling. It also runs 15 degrees hotter on average (or at least outputs air that is 15 degrees hotter). SONY has already moved onto the slim PS4, at least in terms of form factor (only 10mm bigger than a PS3 slim) and Xbone is bigger than the original Xbox 360 model.

So, to sum it up...PS4 packs more power (simply by having GDDR5 RAM, and another ARM processor with 256MB RAM), has an INTERNAL power supply, weighs 3 pounds less than the Xbone, and all around looks about 40% smaller. Crazy.

http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/000027cbc/26db/Next-gen-console-size-comparison.jpg

Comparison photo ^

The only reason why Microsoft made the Xbox One so big is so it had plenty of airflow, and to fit that huge cooling fan inside it. They're making sure the RROD fiasco doesn't happen again, ever.

And there will be an Xbox One Slim coming in a few years (guaranteed), just like there were slim versions of the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: November 24, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »
PS3 has better airflow, and better heat sinks. This is why the PS3 runs (apparently) 15 degrees cooler - that's WITH an internal power supply.

Those slim Xbox 360s still get the RRoD = it's rare, but it does still happen. Yes, technically it's a single red dot, but you get the secondary error code the same way, and they have the same problem.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: November 24, 2013, 09:56:39 AM »
Regarding air flow, size isn't everything. It's all about the volume of air moved over the heat sinks and out of the box. Having a big box can actually make it harder for air to get out of the box which means you are recycling hot air over already hot heat sinks. The WiiU heat solution is basically one big wind tunnel.

Because the bone exhausts directly upward, its boned if something gets put on top of it. The fan does nothing with only natural flow coming in and out the sides. The design is pretty much your standard American brute force and Microsoft's infamous lack of awareness as to how people use things.

There is enough space in there to place an internal power source and change the cooling solution to a front and back wind tunnel. But nah, just blow 100 Million on a new controller instead.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: November 25, 2013, 02:32:32 AM »
With the Wii U being a "big wind tunnel", was that a genius design move by Nintendo?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: November 25, 2013, 02:35:42 AM »
After what happened with the 360, I'm absolutely sure Microsoft did everything they could to make sure it wouldn't overheat.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: November 25, 2013, 02:57:11 AM »
Actually the RROD happended because developers pushed the Xbox passed it's designed specs (175W was the supposed limit for fat xbox but certain games ran up to 200w).

For this generation the WII U really doesn't have to worry about heat--70w at full loadout while the xbox 1 is running around 120 and the ps4 is at 140w.  I really don't think heat is going be much of an issue unless developers try to "unlock" more power out of the systems. 

===========

My biggest gripe is why stay with slot disc drives.  They tend to wear down to quick IMO compared to tray drives but I would love it if they went back to top-loaded systems--the less moving parts the better.

My current PS3 drive is dying (again) and this is going be the 2nd replacement I needed--granted it has over 2000+ hours of use easy but I still hate replacing them because the little plastic gears wear down.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: November 25, 2013, 08:33:03 AM »
Actually the RROD happended because developers pushed the Xbox passed it's designed specs (175W was the supposed limit for fat xbox but certain games ran up to 200w).

That is 100% not true, and completely impossible to do. You can't make the system use more power than it can consume. The RRoD and Yellow Light of Death on the PS3 are due to cold solder joints under the GPU, which are caused due to the design of the consoles. You can get the RRoD or Yellow Light without ever playing a single game on your console - the constant heat/cool cycle of the system running and shutting off causes the lead-free solder to expand and contract and over time it becomes brittle and cracks. It has nothing to do with game X or Y or any developers.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: November 25, 2013, 12:13:04 PM »
"You can't make the system use more power than it can consume."

Overclocking?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: November 25, 2013, 12:38:05 PM »
What h
"You can't make the system use more power than it can consume."

Overclocking?
What he's getting at is that the Power Supply can't take in more power then its rated for or it will pop.  So 175w power Supply can't take in 200w.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.