Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791005 times)

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
Re: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Check-In atleast once every 24hrs!
« Reply #2075 on: June 19, 2013, 09:10:31 PM »
This is HUGE.  We won.  MS got rid of it before it even came out.  The buying public didn't reject the concept for it never was tested with them.  The negative reaction at E3 from just a small chunk of the target market was enough to make MS change their minds.

Thought I'm not immediately going to jump on the Xbone bandwagon because of this.  This affects the Wii U pretty significantly as it seemed that Nintendo was going to finish at least second by default but now that isn't the case.  Nintendo would have benefitted greatly from MS trying this and having it fail miserably in the marketplace.

The public may have rejected this.  Pre-orders have been available for one week and most retailers were probably given extremely small launch numbers.  They probably expected retailers to start calling and asking for larger launch numbers and no one has. 

The majority of the public doesn't look online at this news and probably never knew the mess that the xbox one could have been.  But this is still really damaging to me.  It makes me think that as soon as Microsoft can switch on the DRM they will.  It also makes me think they will think of another way to make the DRM work but sneak it in so it's not so abundantly clear what they are trying to do.  I'm still likely to get a PS4 and not an Xbox One.  Maybe exclusives and time will convince me, but I'm more wary of Microsoft and their plans than before. 

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: June 19, 2013, 09:17:39 PM »
something about this seems off... idk something doesn't feel right for them to announce this a little over a week past e3

something seems fishy

I'm guessing it was the feedback from the armed forces. You can't be the America box and not support the troops.
The UI looks cool I guess.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: June 19, 2013, 09:20:54 PM »
but microsoft could have made some arrangement with them,

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: June 19, 2013, 09:21:27 PM »
something about this seems off... idk something doesn't feel right for them to announce this a little over a week past e3

something seems fishy

They didn't have a choice.  They were getting universally panned. 

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2079 on: June 19, 2013, 09:29:12 PM »
There were (anecdotal) reports of 8:1 ratios of PS4/Xbone preorders at major stores. That probably did all the talking.

Still, the Xbone isn't as powerful, is $100 more, and it comes with its own Ceiling Cat functionality. NO BUYS.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: June 19, 2013, 09:38:02 PM »
this news makes my thread title change behind the times....

gonna have to come up with a new one.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: June 19, 2013, 10:20:32 PM »
All hail the Pope.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: June 19, 2013, 10:35:58 PM »
this news makes my thread title change behind the times....

gonna have to come up with a new one.
just add "nah just kidding"  at the end

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2083 on: June 19, 2013, 10:43:54 PM »
* Shaymin looks at Shinji's post

... f**k it, I got nothing.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: June 19, 2013, 10:52:55 PM »
The packages look nice at least,
You can sign up for the project Spark beta here.
https://joinprojectspark.com/

I think some of the Kinect and Smartglass integration is cool but can become annoying. Dead Rising 3 uses Kinect to alert zombies to movement it heres in your home. So if you have kids or pets consider yourself fucked. The smartglass integration is kind of cool since it turns your real phone/Tablet into what would be the in game Phone.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: June 19, 2013, 11:36:59 PM »
This is pretty damn surprising. They announced this stuff vaguely, got pounded on it, revealed the specifics at E3, got pounded harder, and then turn around on a dime. I assumed they were taking the PR hit because this was the plan, locking that **** down.

I mean, they must have had most of an infrastructure in place to track the DRM/sharing/used sales stuff, both on a hardware and software level, not to mention getting all of the systems in place for retailers. They must be taking a fucking bath on this.

And then there's the publishers. You know most of them wanted it. Who caved first?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: June 20, 2013, 07:14:56 AM »
While I did hate the DRM, there are aspects of this that are going to keep us in the status quo instead of looking too the future.

-No more Quick Game switching unless you download all your game. (similar to PS4)
-No more game sharing with 10 people of your choice
-No more disc based purchased being counted as downloaded purchases like steam.

So while the DRM did suck for most of the audience, it did have tangabile benefits for a industry that will eventually go mostly digital in the first place. Microoft gambled with being the first to try and steamafiy the console space but made miss calculations (if there would be a internet check it should be a month like steam), fortunately the gamer consumers made their complaints heard and its going to be a better product for 90% of the market, however it does have some negatives that kills the adoption of digital content for gaming, whears were seeing other mediums growing due it.

So in conclusion a step back for the Industry, but a step forward for consumers which is a better thing in the long run.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: June 20, 2013, 08:46:02 AM »
If Microsoft wanted the original scheme they shouldn't have half-assed it.  Should have went Digital only and lengthen the check-in.  Just a quick phone home for long term offline to lock your account from use on other systems till your back online.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: June 20, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »
Can Microsoft potentially reverse the DRM features down the line? For example, in 2015 when there are millions of One units in homes, can they just switch all this stuff back on and require a system update or you can no longer access Xbox Live? I feel like in the fine print of the Terms of Use, there's going to be some vague clause that allows them to do this.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: June 20, 2013, 10:54:44 AM »
Can Microsoft potentially reverse the DRM features down the line? For example, in 2015 when there are millions of One units in homes, can they just switch all this stuff back on and require a system update or you can no longer access Xbox Live? I feel like in the fine print of the Terms of Use, there's going to be some vague clause that allows them to do this.
Yes.  Yes they can.  Its all Software.  MS has shown they have no problem changing the Consoles look and Feel with the 360 and it looks like they put an out in there contract.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: June 20, 2013, 11:00:33 AM »

Most definitely. Would they? Doubtful, considering the shitstorm that would ensue would make this one look like a tea party.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: June 20, 2013, 11:53:47 AM »
Most definitely. Would they? Doubtful, considering the shitstorm that would ensue would make this one look like a tea party.

Microsoft will let go of some of these ideas, but I could see them introducing some new drm in 3 years that works with new games. I also believe they will go digital only with some big releases during this gen.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: June 20, 2013, 12:42:54 PM »
Pretty sure Killer Insitcnt is going to digital only with a retail copy probably coming with the Mad Catz fightstick for the One.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: June 20, 2013, 01:10:07 PM »

i could see them finding an excuse to bring one or two things in down the line... but not the whole deal...

the UI does look nice... it also looks like the exact same one i could get on my desktop if i were stupid enough to put windows 8 on a PC that is well over 8 years old.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: June 20, 2013, 01:15:43 PM »
stoIntroducing all the DRM features years into the future on existing Xbox One users would be a PR disaster.  They would be insanely dumb to do that.  I honestly feel it would poison the Xbox brand.  All the reasons to have backpeddled here still apply for introducing it later.

The whole thing is pointless becaues the used game "problem" is going to go away anyway as the industry moves to digital only which will happen because the general public will want it.  Microsoft's whole initial plan showed a lack of patience.  There was no point in all this bad PR because they were just forcing that which will come naturally in time.  Once the public embraces digital only and demands it they will lose their rights to used games and not even notice.  Why push it on them when with some patience they'll eventually ASK you to do it?

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: June 20, 2013, 05:04:12 PM »
Pete Dodd's For Your FYI podcast brings up a good point.  All of these "features" that MS had built to offset the negatives of their online DRM don't have to be completely scrapped.  Family sharing could(and, imo, should) still be a feature for digital downloads.  Used sales can still be implemented for digital games.  There is some sentiment of anger toward the No DRM movement for forcing MS's hand in removing these features, but, ultimately, it is entirely MS's decision to remove them.  If they kept some of these features for digital, they wouldn't lose all that hard work they put into building the system's infrastructure, they would just need to rework it.  Keeping those features for digital would provide an incentive for people to purchase online, which is presumably what all platforms want anyway.

Anyway, oddly enough, this announcement has swayed me away from a PS4 @ launch.  Now, I'll be sticking to my PC and "last-gen" for about another year.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: June 20, 2013, 05:30:18 PM »
Looking around other game sites there is a surprisingly large amount of people upset that MS has changed their tune.  Since that isn't the case here I was quite shocked to see that.

Ultimately the argument in favour of this stuff is that the individual likes the new features these restrictions permitted and they feel that losing some consumer rights is a worthy tradeoff.  My beef with this argument is that we're not talking about YOU giving up your rights, we're talking about EVERYBODY.  Just because those rights don't matter to you doesn't mean they don't matter to others.  Is it even remotely fair to ask everybody to give up their rights for a feature that you specifically want?  It is insanely selfish and I wonder if the pro-DRM people are even realizing exactly what they're saying.

The fact that this forum is pretty unanimous in its dislike of the original restrictions makes me respect the members of it all the more.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: June 20, 2013, 05:55:41 PM »
ian can you get us a link to one of those sites, I wanna play fallacy bingo

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: June 20, 2013, 08:30:53 PM »
GiModo
Verge
Ads

Just to name a few. Tech sites will also get hard at the concept of the one and they probably explode if you slap a apple logo on it. Those guys don't ezisit in the same technological reality as the rest of the world does.