Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 790995 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Also why do people seem to igore the fact that gamers aren't the only market and in the long run were a pretty small one.
Hmmmm... Now where did i hear this argument before?..

The tables has turned.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Still interested to see pricing models for XBox One and PS4. Any bets on XBox One going via a subscription/monthly payment plan instead of a straight sale? Will that information be out at E3, or will they (probably) save the new for closer to release to help stave off sticker shock?

I don't own a 360 so am probably not the target market, but have to say this presentation really turned me off from ever owning an XBox One. Reactivation fees for disc-based games, no backwards compatibility, always online being pushed (although not required), more focus on services than games, XBox Live fees likely to increase...  The only good news seemed to be that gamer scores would carry over, but (again) I'm not a 360 owner so that doesn't help me much.

Nope, this isn't what I want from a gaming console and isn't the direction I want to support for the industry.
NNID: ejamer

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
"This "second install" fee is pretty baffling. Like, if this was just a wrist slap charge, $5-$10, tons of people would just go in on a game and pass it around, paying a deeply discounted price. So I'm guessing the fee will NOT be trivial. That, and how much will games cost in the first place? "

Hense why MS requires an internet connection--it's going check and mostly likely ban consoles that have the same games installed on them.  If you sell your game you'll going have to remove it from the HDD otherwise risk being banned when the other gamer activates it at the same time you do.

actually its been confrimed it doesn't require online. I guess the disc is stamped with DRM after you first put it in. bleh

Also why do people seem to igore the fact that gamers aren't the only market and in the long run were a pretty small one.
Hmmmm... Now where did i hear this argument before?..

The tables has turned.

Huh?

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
I wonder how long until people hack the OS to remove the DRM registry key.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
No  shingi_70, Xbox One requires internet, it doesn't have to be on 100%.  Kinda like Steam, you can install the game then play in offline mode. 

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile

MS is the odd one out since Sony confirmed that their ps4 games don't have used-DRM. 

I thought they were much more evasive on that point, something along the lines of "well, the developer doesn't have to implement DRM" or some such.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Things that I have learned from the Xbox One reveal:
  • The name "Wii U" is not the dumbest name for a video game console.
  • When EA claims to have an unprecedented partnership with you it might be a sign that they will double cross you in the future.
  • Most consumers will think that "Xbox One" refers to the original Xbox system.
  • Nintendo Land was a better presentation that motion captured dogs ( and that is saying a whole lot).
  • Sales will be slower due to DRM.
  • It makes me more confident for Nintendo and the Wii's future.
  • Microsoft will probably go bankrupt.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
No  shingi_70, Xbox One requires internet, it doesn't have to be on 100%.  Kinda like Steam, you can install the game then play in offline mode.

Isn't that if your only buying games online?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-installs-friend-list/

The Xbox One's 50GB Blu-ray discs will automatically rip to your 500GB harddrive, Microsoft tells us, and it looks like you won't have to wait 'til they're done to get going. That's according to the Xbox One landing page on Xbox.com, spotted by our friends at Joystiq, which says, "With Xbox One, you can start playing immediately as games install. And updates install seamlessly in the background, so your games and entertainment won't be interrupted."

I thought always online meant the system wouldn't be able to turn on if online?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Things that I have learned from the Xbox One reveal:
  • The name "Wii U" is not the dumbest name for a video game console.
  • When EA claims to have an unprecedented partnership with you it might be a sign that they will double cross you in the future.
  • Most consumers will think that "Xbox One" refers to the original Xbox system.
  • Nintendo Land was a better presentation that motion captured dogs ( and that is saying a whole lot).
  • Sales will be slower due to DRM.
  • It makes me more confident for Nintendo and the Wii's future.

-Actually one can be used in marketing as if refers to one box for everything. Both crappy names but one is far less marketable.
-EA only double crossed nintendo because they were butt hurt for Origin.
-Isn't it hard to compare a dev focused video to late confetti
-Sadly if anything the Mass Market has shown they don't care about anti consumer progress
-Ironically the One will probably have more third party support.
-You can't be serious?

Still looking forward to all three consoles.

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Ugh... The worst part about the conference was all the "WOOOOOOOO" going on for what seemed like the most mundane announcements.  It felt so forced.

Personally, the most exciting gaming news of that last few days came when I decided to order a racing wheel for all the games in my Steam account.  In my opinion, the MS and Sony reveals were fairly similar.  Both seemed more focused on the non-gaming aspects of the systems.  To me, where they truly diverged was where they each decided to place their focus when they actually spoke about the games.  Sony's biggest splash came when they demonstrated how much they were working to get indie devs on board.  MS seems to be doubling down on AAA games.  I don't think either is a winning strategy on their own.

That said, how many people are going to buy either console at launch?  Obviously, price will be a determining factor, but I bought my first 360 maybe 6 months after launch.  That's right, my first 360.  I'm on to my fourth 360 thanks to the infamous RROD.  Has anybody forgiven/forgotten the MS's past sins?  I won't be purchasing for at least a year to see if there are any design defects with the new consoles.  I'll probably cut Sony some slack, since I still have a functioning launch window PS3 with backward compatibility and all.

Also, for all the **** that Nintendo takes, Microsoft really picked a crappy name for their console.  Can we please stop letting the biggest tools in the company's marketing department name these things?

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
Ugh... The worst part about the conference was all the "WOOOOOOOO" going on for what seemed like the most mundane announcements.  It felt so forced.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile

Personally, the most exciting gaming news of that last few days came when I decided to order a racing wheel for all the games in my Steam account.  In my opinion, the MS and Sony reveals were fairly similar.  Both seemed more focused on the non-gaming aspects of the systems.  To me, where they truly diverged was where they each decided to place their focus when they actually spoke about the games.  Sony's biggest splash came when they demonstrated how much they were working to get indie devs on board.  MS seems to be doubling down on AAA games.  I don't think either is a winning strategy on their own.

That said, how many people are going to buy either console at launch?  Obviously, price will be a determining factor, but I bought my first 360 maybe 6 months after launch.  That's right, my first 360.  I'm on to my fourth 360 thanks to the infamous RROD.  Has anybody forgiven/forgotten the MS's past sins?  I won't be purchasing for at least a year to see if there are any design defects with the new consoles.  I'll probably cut Sony some slack, since I still have a functioning launch window PS3 with backward compatibility and all.

Also, for all the **** that Nintendo takes, Microsoft really picked a crappy name for their console.  Can we please stop letting the biggest tools in the company's marketing department name these things?

The whooing was from microsoft employees and felt so unprofessional. Honestly as cool as the moment was I dislike people whooed and got all up in arms about the Twilight princess reveal. Clapping is okay but anything seems lame.

Its odd the gamers seem to hate this press conference but i'm seeing a lot of positives coming from pure tech and mainstream media. Reading the comments on gaf (Uber negative) vs the comments from the verge (positive) is pretty interesting.

I would have went with Loop or Infinity with the name myself.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Its odd the gamers seem to hate this press conference but i'm seeing a lot of positives coming from pure tech and mainstream media. Reading the comments on gaf (Uber negative) vs the comments from the verge (positive) is pretty interesting.

Maybe it depends on what you want the console to be?  For straight gaming, some of the decisions (and focus of the show) really aren't that appealing -- but for an all-in-one living room tech solution it might seem more exciting?

I'm not really in the market for an integrated entertainment solution though.
NNID: ejamer

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile

Maybe it depends on what you want the console to be?  For straight gaming, some of the decisions (and focus of the show) really aren't that appealing -- but for an all-in-one living room tech solution it might seem more exciting?

I'm not really in the market for an integrated entertainment solution though.

But there shouldn't be a console with only straight gaming these days.  Looks like a non removable 500GB hardrive that can be expanded with external HDDS.

Offline magicpixie

• View Profile
Ewww...

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

Have to connect once in a 24 hour period to play single-player games...  I don't like that at all.  I'm not sure I'd ever be in that situation, but I just really don't like the sound of that.  As far as I know, Steam offline mode is indefinite.

There also seems to be some confusion regarding this used-game fee.

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-is-not-always-online-but-seems-to-block-used-509077987

FTFA:
UPDATE: Microsoft says in an official Q&A: "We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later."

There was some stuff out there about different stories from an MS exec and MS support.  Seems like a bit of a clusterfark.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:12:11 PM by magicpixie »

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
No confusion, the fee is actually the full price of the game.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.

EDIT: And you thought Nintendo was once draconian? With this move, Microsoft now essentially controls the used game market on their console. So either they or the developers get to set the prices for used games people sell online.

Microsoft! It's the future of gaming!

EDIT #2: Sorry Pixie, I thought you were linking the same story I was. http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:22:52 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
With the Wii, what really pissed me off is that Nintendo's casual focus felt like Nintendo saying to me "Thanks for the years of patronage.  Go **** yourself."  Looking at the PS4 and XB1 reveals, I feel like the entire industry is telling me that, Nintendo were just ahead of the curve.  The PS4 interests me the most entirely by coming across as less shitty but I'm not at all excited about it.  It seems that no one wants my business.

But the sad thing is that I don't think it matters.  I care about stuff like used games and being able to play single player games when your internet goes down or 10 years after the console is obsolete and having responsive controls.  They're not looking at someone like me.  They're looking at a crowd at least ten years younger than me who has grown up in a world of disposable entertainment and does not have the same values as me.  They're looking at middle aged casual gamers who are too ignorant of games to know that stuff like Kinect and the Wii Remote control like complete garbage.

I don't give away my personal privacy for free on Facebook.  I don't update my cellphone unless my old phone ceases to work.  I do not follow fads or trends.  I'm effectively marketing-proof and openly mock advertisements.  I have self-control and vote with my wallet.  I'm the WORST kind of customer - someone who wants a good product at a good price.  AAAHHHH!!  Last gen Nintendo showed that you can sell a lesser product if you target it at rubes with low standards.  Sony and MS were busy killing themselves last gen with big expensive blockbusters and I think they have both realized that they should target dumb marks instead with an inferior product that offers more restrictive consumer rights.

So while you might say "Locked used games?  The **** with this!", Microsoft does not care.  If you're savy enough to be turned off my that you are not the type of customer they want.  They want a sucker and they're hoping that the suckers outnumber the savy consumers.  I feel like the videogame industry very specifically does not want me, or anyone like me, to be their customer anymore.

Though the Wii U isn't doing so well and I don't think the PS4 or XB1 are looking much better.  Maybe they'll just all crash and burn.  Either way I'm concerned that console gaming as a I knew it is gone for good.

Offline magicpixie

• View Profile
Yeah, sounds like they're trying to couch it in weasel words.  As long as you sign into your account, it will be free.  What does this mean for households with multiple users? 

And lulz at the people watching the event on their 360s having issues with their Kinects responding to the demonstrator's commands!

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Really wonder how the used sector is going to respond to this. It's got to piss off Gamestop, Best Buy, WalMart, etc.

Also, what did Sony actually say about their own policies about used and DRM and such? I'm betting it's nearly as weasly as Microsoft. Can't imagine that Microsoft would pull some of this without Sony fundamentally marching to the same tune. Otherwise PS4 would have a pretty crazy advantage in the eyes of a lot of early adopter types.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile

That won't happen any time soon. Heck they're even making money off of Android phone sales.

Oh snap!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
After everything that's gone down, it's going to take one hell of an exclusive to get me to buy one of these. Given the state of Microsoft's internal studios and the current way third parties operate, it doesn't seem likely I'll be picking one up anytime soon.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
hey guys, the Xbox one has been out for quite a while

seriously xbox one...
somebody explain why that name is better then the wii u

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Xbox (all in) One. Name makes sense.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I don't mind the name "Xbox One." It's fine. Plain, but I think that's the point. It's meant to gets out of the way. You're not supposed to think about it. "Want to play Xbox?" It's like back in the day when people said, "Want to play Nintendo?" No one is getting Xbox One confused with the original Xbox because Microsoft dumped it like eight years ago. They're not going from Xbox directly to Xbox One. I know this sounds like a double standard, but this is nothing like Wii U. The problem with the name "Wii U" is that the Blue Ocean people, presumably the entire reason Nintendo stuck to the Wii name, didn't and probably still don't know what a Wii U is because they were conditioned not to. Besides Live, Microsoft generally doesn't call things Xbox-something like Nintendo did with Wii (e.g. Sports, Play, Fit etc). Really, Nintendo should just call their next console "Nintendo."

The box itself is also plain. It's a rectangle. The end. If I have to nitpick: the glossy finish is lame. It doesn't look like a 360. Not that the 360 looked bad, but Microsoft is doing themselves a favor by avoiding that mess.

Ultimately, I don't see myself getting an Xbox One ever. It looks fancy, but I just don't play video games frequently enough for it to be worth the money. It just made sense to buy a Wii U because it's the only home console that Nintendo makes games for. I'd gladly buy third party games if they were available, but I'm not giving up Nintendo first party games. No matter what Sony and Microsoft release, what deals they make with third parties, Nintendo consoles will always have more exclusive content that I want.

Quote from: Phil Harrison
No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
I wonder if Sony will throw in the DRM now that Microsoft have made the first move.