Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791058 times)

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Xbox 1 confirmed as name.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Let the raging begin? Bold by me.

There’s one feature of Xbox One from which we can infer quite a few conclusions: You can install any game from the disc to the console’s hard drive, and then play that game whenever you like without having to put the disc in. Wired asked Microsoft if installation would be mandatory. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” the company responded in an emailed statement. Sounds mandatory to us.
What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.
Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.
But what if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing – and without paying extra? In other words, what happens to our traditional concept of a “used game”? This is a question for which Microsoft did not yet have an answer, and is surely something that game buyers (as well as renters and lenders) will want to know.
And what of the persistent rumors that Xbox One games will be “always online” – that is, that single-player games would require a constant online connection to function? As it turns out, those rumors were not unfounded, but the reality is not so draconian. Xbox One will give game developers the ability to create games that use Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing service, which means that they might be able to offload certain computing tasks to the cloud rather than process them on the Xbox One hardware itself. This would necessitate the game requiring a connection.
Are developers forced to create games that have these online features, and are thus not playable offline? They are not, Xbox exec Whitten said to Wired — but “I hope they do.” So the always-online future may come in incremental steps.
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-analysis/
Maybe sorta anti-used games? Passing the "always online" buck to developers.

My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
This presentation was amazing.

I haven't laughed this hard in weeks.

PS4 presentation just made me go eh at most reveals, what little reveals Xbox presentation had just made me laugh.

EA is showing their sports games engine. No gameplay footage.
Quantum Break game. No gameplay footage.
You know something is wrong if the most exciting and honest game reveal in entire presentation is Call of Duty. Activision (Activision!) was the only good part of this conference.

No details on Xbox Live, no clarification on always online thing.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
I thought the tv features and use of Kinect was really cool. But I wonder in practice will it be that good?

The graphics are better I assume from what they tell me. But just like with the Ps4 reveal I don't see a major leap, as a matter of fact in my eyes the graphics have taken the smallest leap ever. Deep Down is not a thing yet. Still at the same time I fully expect some game to pull a Gears of War on us eventually and I expect the Wii U to get close to that.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 02:14:35 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
"Xbox One" is almost but not quite as stupid of a name as "Wii U", kind of like how "Xbox 360" was almost but not quite as stupid of a name as "Wii".  The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?

Better than just calling it "Xbox" but this is still going to cause a lot of confusion between the Xbox One and the regular Xbox.  And this sure is a total switch from the Xbox 360 using a bigger number to not look inferior in comparison to the Playstation 3.  So now I guess it does not matter that Xbox One is a lower number than Playstation 4?

Sounds like locking out used games is in, so I will never ever buy this thing even if Nintendo went third party and became an Xbox One exclusive developer.  You had to know that Microsoft's refusal to deny the rumour was a confirmation.  If someone accuses you of something that is clearly negative, you would only refuse to comment if you were guilty or a huge moron.  Otherwise you would just say "No, I did not kill those people!  That's ridiculous!"  There is nothing to gain by being coy or obtuse if the honest response will close the topic immediately.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
I thought the tv features and use of Kinect was really cool.
I am actually pretty excited on Kinect 2.0! Just reduce the lag and ship good games (or even "experiences" such as Double Fine's Happy Action Theater) and i'm there!

E3 should (and probably will) deliver more on games, because i feel zero attraction from what i've seen from both Sony/MS so far.

Sports and tv stuff -- i won't hate on it, i will just ignore it, not only because for me as not american this completely alien, but also because i'm sure these services will only work in US (and probably will be behind paywall to boot).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
That was worse than Sony's press conference by far. I guess we will see what both do at E3.

Microsoft is envisioning this taking over the living room, but I smell flop.

The problem with all this media stuff is most of it is already available elsewhere.

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Definitely not crazy about the reinstallation fee or lack of backwards compatibility.  Also, I couldn't believe they were actually hyping up splitscreen!  They already have Smartglass for a second screen, why is this supposed to be exciting?

Offline Soren

• View Profile
-Xbox One not backward compatible (Wii U the only one of the big 3).

-SE says Thief reboot coming to XBOX1.

-Steven Spielberg making a Halo tv series on Xbox1.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
So with Xbox monetizing on used games (they're not blocking it, but they include "online pass" like fee to activate already used disc), i think PS4 will have a similar system.

I think this is the real and main reason why EA ditched Wii U.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
The big Halo announcement is a TV show? Good heavens...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
So whats the reaction of the various nerds around the internet? I'm at work so viewing is limited.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
So whats the reaction of the various nerds around the internet? I'm at work so viewing is limited.

Gaf is down.

The 3 most read articles on Kotaku right now: 1)The article revealing Xbox1 blocks used games may not be always online, 2) a summary of what was announced, 3)the Xbox not being backwards compatible.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
The big Halo announcement is a TV show? Good heavens...

You do realize the announcement was made in conjunction with Microsoft Studios LA ran by Nacy Tlman and is similar too Netflix's internal studios.

Still people keep saying this was worst than the PS4 but how so?

It sucks about the used game thing but its a good thing as used games are bad for the industry as a whole. Though this by proxy unfortunately kills rental market. (does that even still exist?)

Kind of hope this system when the next generation just to see gamers want to kill themselves.

Also i'm guessing Sony plans to do something similar with their system
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
Not buying ONE--get it :0.

Requires Internet to verify installs, fees on installing game more than one (means no sharing games without paying fee).  Can't rent games.  MS is the odd one out since Sony confirmed that their ps4 games don't have used-DRM. 

Not much was talked about in terms of power other than it matched 8GB of ram as PS4 but they didn't state it was using DDR5 which would led one to think it's using DDR3.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, my money is still going to Sony's PS4 next generation.  Sony's stock rose today so it looks like others see it too--the PS4 will win because MS got to greedy.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
I am not impressed by anything it is offering and will not buy One.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
It sucks about the used game thing but its a good thing as used games are bad for the industry as a whole.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
I thought the 500gb HD was cool until it was mentioned you have to install all games. That could fill up fast.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
I am not impressed by anything it is offering and will not buy One.

I may look at it next time I shopping for a DVR. OH SNAP!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Hey guys, do you like racers, shooters, and sports games? Well, you probably already own a 360, but take a look at the Xbox One! Innovation at its finest!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile

I'm not a big Sony fan, but the PS4 announcement had better tech, better games, and better people talking about the system.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
This "second install" fee is pretty baffling. Like, if this was just a wrist slap charge, $5-$10, tons of people would just go in on a game and pass it around, paying a deeply discounted price. So I'm guessing the fee will NOT be trivial. That, and how much will games cost in the first place?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile

I'm not a big Sony fan, but the PS4 announcement had better tech, better games, and better people talking about the system.

WHy would say they had better tech when microsoft went prety i depth about the tech behind the system and is current doing a hardare roundtable.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-architecture-panel-liveblog/

Sony showed preety much the same thing trailers for sequels to stuff. (Knack and Killzone were awesome)
Eh Cerny was the only real compelling speaker from SOny. Other than him you got I want to **** a car guy, 9/11 superhero dude, and please be excited sqaure. But Sony did had Ono which is like having 10 people.

Still i'm not sure what people were expecting. They were up front about this being a hardware/feature reveal and the games were going to be at E3.

Also why do people seem to igore the fact that gamers aren't the only market and in the long run were a pretty small one.

Still e3 is the place to make your decisions on.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
By the way, Dual OS seems like a bad idea. Maybe it will work well, but I guess we will find out.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
"This "second install" fee is pretty baffling. Like, if this was just a wrist slap charge, $5-$10, tons of people would just go in on a game and pass it around, paying a deeply discounted price. So I'm guessing the fee will NOT be trivial. That, and how much will games cost in the first place? "

Hense why MS requires an internet connection--it's going check and mostly likely ban consoles that have the same games installed on them.  If you sell your game you'll going have to remove it from the HDD otherwise risk being banned when the other gamer activates it at the same time you do.