Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791008 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
You know I really like that one game on the Xbox :D :D :D

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
That one game being Kinect Star Wars.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
That one game being Kinect Star Wars.
All i know is that it was on a system called the 'Xbox'.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
You guys make fun of this but weren't we pitching the same thing with Nintendo?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
I wanted Wii motion plus lightsaber action adevnture not Just Dance with stoormtroopers and slave Leia.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Polygon posted some stuff that sounds like marketers wet dream for achievement
http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/26/4268782/next-xbox-drm-achievements-live

Another thing developers and publishers will have more control over with next-gen Xbox games is the way achievements are used and updated.
With the next Xbox, developers and publishers will be able to add more achievements to a game after launch, without the need to add DLC. This is designed specifically to allow developers to tweak player behavior, perhaps urging players to check out specific areas of a game or get past a difficult spot. Next-gen achievements can also be tied to broader events, like a weekend challenge or a communal goal, like contributing a set number of kills to the bigger goal of 10,000 kills over one weekend. Companies can also create cross-title achievements, like awarding points for finishing the first chapter in two different and unrelated games published by the same company. Some of these bigger, cross-title, communal achievements will be a requirement for all titles.
Microsoft is playing around with cross-platform achievements as well. Ideally, these achievements could be earned by playing a game on the next-gen system and then using a companion app, a website or maybe even by playing a specific game, like a prequel to a next-gen title, on the Xbox 360.[/qupte]

On Video sharing
Like the recently announced PlayStation 4, the still-unnamed next Xbox will include the ability to capture video highlights of gameplay and then share them through networks like Facebook and Ustream.
In February,  during the official PlayStation 4 unveiling, Sony officials detailed the heightened importance of sharing game experiences. The ability to share a snapshot from a game or show off a gameplay video is so important that a "share" button is incorporated into that upcoming console's new controller.
Pressing the PS4's share button allows players to begin capturing their own gameplay in real time and then broadcast it to their friends using social networks.
Microsoft is also trying to come up with a system for video sharing though all of the details are still being locked down. According to our sources, currently the next Xbox will capture your gameplay as if it were a DVR, allowing you to go back and select highlights. That function can be turned on or off, or a player can set up the console to automatically capture a recording when certain in-game events occur, like a headshot or collecting a specific achievement. Auto capturing those "magic moments" will be a feature only available on next-gen games.
Those videos can then be uploaded directly from the console to social sites, like YouTube, for sharing.

On Always on
Sources tell Polygon that the next Xbox will indeed have some form of an always-on requirement. That will be both to support the suite of non-gaming entertainment applications that will be launched alongside the console, like streaming video services, but also as a possible anti-piracy tool. Currently, the console will support digital rights management and anti-piracy checks using an internet connection. Under Microsoft's current guidelines, which may still be changed, the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection, will be left up to individual publishers.
The next Xbox will allow publishers to decide if their games should require an internet connection to be played.
The fact that offline gameplay, always online and one-time checks are supported, means that in the future, publishers will have much greater control over copyright protection for their games.
Another thing developers and publishers will have more control over with next-gen Xbox games is the way achievements are used and updated.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline azeke

• View Profile
You lost me after Polygon

"Sponsored by Internet Explorer 9" (c)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:27:58 AM by azeke »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
You lost me after Polygon

"Sponsored by Internet Explorer 9" (c)
How so?
Despite the whole IE deal and Gies being a dick Polygon writes some pretty good features and I would put stock in most of their feature and news reporting just based on the reputations of their sister sites Vegre and SBnation.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
The ideas are pretty bad. It continues the gross perversion of what games are about. It getting less and less about simple escapism and having some fun and more about how to trap players into hamster wheels.

If a game is that good in the first place, you wouldn't need all these tricks to keep them playing.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
The ideas are pretty bad. It continues the gross perversion of what games are about. It getting less and less about simple escapism and having some fun and more about how to trap players into hamster wheels.

If a game is that good in the first place, you wouldn't need all these tricks to keep them playing.

Agreed. Gaming used to be about having fun and escaping from reality, but now it's become a sea of microtransactions, DLC, online connectivity for EVERYTHING, social networking, blah blah blah.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
I never understand when people whine about Achievements. You do realize they are OPTIONAL? They don't impact the game itself, so ignore them if you don't like them. Most people do like them, they make the game more fun and encourage people to try stuff they might not have (for example, it's encouraged me to try different modes I normally would have ignored).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
I never understand when people whine about Achievements. You do realize they are OPTIONAL? They don't impact the game itself, so ignore them if you don't like them. Most people do like them, they make the game more fun and encourage people to try stuff they might not have (for example, it's encouraged me to try different modes I normally would have ignored).

I just hate the achievements that show you how far you've progressed in a game. They're pointless. Story progression is the main point of a game, I don't need a notification for that.

"Achievement Unlocked: You beat the first boss!"

"Achievement Unlocked: You reached the third level"

"Achievement Unlocked: You cast your first spell!"

Achievements should be earned for hidden goals or secrets discovered, not basic story progression or require tasks.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:58:59 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
I don't mind those Achievements, and they have become less common over time. There are pages devoted to stupid achievements (like ones that require you to reach the #1 spot on the global leaderboard, or basically any online-only achievement).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
I don't mind those Achievements, and they have become less common over time. There are pages devoted to stupid achievements (like ones that require you to reach the #1 spot on the global leaderboard, or basically any online-only achievement).

I don't get what achievements are supposed to mean. Does anyone actually give a **** about gamerscores? Used to be that games rewarded you for doing secret stuff/beating benchmarks by unlocking extra content. The achievements for the most part feel like crude dopamine activators designed to entangle those with completion syndrome (speaking as a recoverer).

I get that they can get you to play a game differently or check out modes you wouldn't, but I feel like these things should be their own reward without being propped up by achievements. To me the mindset behind achievements feels unsettlingly close to the mindset behind Zynga's operations.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Achievements are more meaningful than something like a high score table.

There is just something more enticing about Achievements, gives more reason to try and do certain goals.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Achievements are more meaningful than something like a high score table.

I don't know that I'd agree with this, as I think in some games beating a friend's high score feels like far more of an accomplishment. Achievements can be pretty great when they're done well, making you try new things you wouldn't have done before, with the example I always point to in that regard being Geometry Wars 2. Sure, it has a couple score-based ones, but also includes ones that include lasting a certain amount of time without firing a shot, or rubbing your ship against every inch of the border of the play field. These get you to play in completely different ways than you usually do, which I think should be the aim of achievements instead of "You beat this Dungeon" or "You used this weapon."
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I agree with Insano. Any achievement that makes you enjoy the game in a different way, is a good one. Further, anything that rewards a difficult feat, like beating certain levels without taking damage or reaching hidden areas in a level, are also good ones. Those may not be as good as secret power-ups or anything, but they're less disappointing that a 3up Moon. That acknowledgement of having done something difficult it what makes them feel rewarding.

They can backfire though. You might hit a bonus stage and get the "didn't take a hit" achievement when there weren't actual enemies. Or the aforementioned "beat level X" achievement, where beating the level should be its own reward.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Regarding the harder difficulty, that is one I like. It has made me also play some games on a harder mode than normal (for example, normally I would never try to play something like Call of Duty on the hardest difficulty).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
I just had a brilliant idea. Microsoft should do always online DRM, but allow you to play offline for an additional $10 purchase.

Forget on-disc DLC and season passes, THIS IS THE FUTURE OF CUSTOMER EXPLOITATION

Offline azeke

• View Profile
Microsoft should do always online DRM, but allow you to play offline for an additional $10 purchase
... per each gaming session.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
I just had a brilliant idea. Microsoft should do always online DRM, but allow you to play offline for an additional $10 purchase.

Forget on-disc DLC and season passes, THIS IS THE FUTURE OF CUSTOMER EXPLOITATION

I wish I could say that would not do anything, but it probably would convince some people to buy the new Xbox if they made that concession.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
At this point I don't care about always online because even if the system its self isn't always online Microsoft like Sony will allow the publishers to choose to be always online if they want.

Despite all of the microsoft bitching I've seen no one bring up the point that Destiny which will also be on PS4 as well as the current gen systems can't be played without an internet connection. Rumors are bringing up Ubisoft doing it for Watchdogs and AC4.  If all of these are successful than expect more and more companies to do this despite us not really wanting it.

Though I find it intresting that Ascend News Gods as well as Happy Wars are both Online only from microsoft.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Buried in an interesting story about Respawn's rumored Xbox exclusive game is this paragraph about a possible software drought for Durango, not unlike the one Nintendo has right now.

A reliable source—one who was not part of our reporting about the Respawn game—tells us that Microsoft is as much as six months behind in producing content for the new console, despite an expected late-2013 launch. Another tells us that Microsoft recently cancelled several internal next-gen projects because they were not coming together as hoped. These sources have told us that, comparatively, Sony is in better shape and further along with hardware and software development for PlayStation 4.

With a drought like that, Microsoft might be taking a very aggressive approach to sign games exclusive to Durango (or as timed exclusives).

http://kotaku.com/the-next-gen-xbox-is-getting-a-hell-of-an-exclusive-so-484785241
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:50:05 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Well no **** Kotaku. You expect all of these studios that have been brought up in the past two years some even as late as this year to have content ready for the console.

I'm expecting Microsoft to pull a Nintendo with few launch games ready. Only difference is there going to show software for next year and pay for a crap ton of exclusives so they won't be like LOL Nintendo has no game.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Kotaku is the worst.