Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791032 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
and then they will make xbox live gold mandatory...
i think this alone makes the Wii U, arguably the most traditional console... no forced social/cloud stuff, no always online,
and if this is true used gaming may be at a huge risk
But isn't that a small reason hy the Wii U isn't doing hot. There's just no longer a market for just traditional console these days at least in America.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Always online won't be an issue once Google spreads their free Fiber all over the country, but that is many many years away. Not everyone that wants to game or own an X720 will have access to cheap and reliable high speed internet. And if the internet happens to be down, or really slow, you won't even be able to play the damn games you own to pass the time.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
The funny thing is that as much as gamers will decry this (if its true or not) the average consumer will probably not even care.

Still taking it with a grain of salt regardless.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
The funny thing is that as much as gamers will decry this (if its true or not) the average consumer will probably not even care.

Still taking it with a grain of salt regardless.
Of course they'll care, as soon as their wifi goes out and they can't play their ****. I deal with the average consumer on a daily basis and you'd be surprised about the things they actually do care about. They aren't mindless zombies.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
*gets the firewood and smores ready*

This gon' be good.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Wow, that guy is a douche.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Of course they'll care, as soon as their wifi goes out and they can't play their ****. I deal with the average consumer on a daily basis and you'd be surprised about the things they actually do care about. They aren't mindless zombies.

There's also a lot of people who don't even have the internet in their homes or apartments.  Plus in the rural parts of America there's still a good number of people using crappy 56k dial-up connections.  I'm sure these people are going to be real happy when they're told the next Xbox won't even play at their homes because they either have no internet or a connection that won't even work.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
and then they might as well make Xbox Live Mandatory and remove the free option, they've already screwed the consumer, lets go full force... if this goes through I hope some hacktivists bring down the XBL servers so that nobody can play(and that my popcorn is ready)

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Dude used a flawed analogy but I don't really disagree. Personally I won't mind an always online based system or at least semi always online. Every other device I have is for the most part constantly connected online.
Its funny since my internet connection was messing up earlier today and I had to unplug it to get my 360 connected again.
Always online is annoying but not a deal breaker and i'm saying that right now but once I get to somewhere where I have n internet I'll probably start bitching.
when PSN went down in 11, you could still play single player games
if this goes down.... you have a nice looking paperweight there

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
doesn't really since dude has probably been fired at his point. You can see him and the bioware dude he was arguing with quickly backtrack.
Also you obviously read the tweets if your living in a rural area your obviously doing things wrong.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
Also you obviously read the tweets if your living in a rural area your obviously doing things wrong.

Check your sentence structure, I have no idea what you're saying. But it kind of sounds like what that dude was saying on Twitter.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
I have a very difficult time imagining a future where MS will let an always-online policy or no-used games policy hurt their console's chances with consumers. Either this isn't true, or MS will be changing very quickly either now or after launch. Or maybe gamers will just let them get away with it. But I'm having trouble envisioning a future where gamers are voting with their wallets against always-on DRM and anti-used game policies and MS stays the course.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile

Check your sentence structure, I have no idea what you're saying. But it kind of sounds like what that dude was saying on Twitter.

whoops.

Obviously if you read his tweets you would know living in a rural area is doing things wrong.   

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I have a very difficult time imagining a future where MS will let an always-online policy or no-used games policy hurt their console's chances with consumers. Either this isn't true, or MS will be changing very quickly either now or after launch. Or maybe gamers will just let them get away with it. But I'm having trouble envisioning a future where gamers are voting with their wallets against always-on DRM and anti-used game policies and MS stays the course.
It will be that one.  History has already proven that Gamers in General are all bark no lasting bite.  Sure in a near term future it might hurt a little but in the long run it will even out to nothing.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
It will be that one.  History has already proven that Gamers in General are all bark no lasting bite.  Sure in a near term future it might hurt a little but in the long run it will even out to nothing.

Isn't this kind of the same with all communities? Whether it's film, television, tech, no matter what a company does, we will all continue sucking their dick.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
MS won't get anywhere being the ONLY console that has these types of restrictions.  You know the PS4 will have all the same games except for first party stuff.  This is all stuff PUBLISHERS like but they aren't the ones who buy the product.  There is no advantage to customers.

MS pulls a lot of **** in the computing industry because they've got everyone by the balls.  Businesses will have decades of important files that can only be accessed on an IBM compatible computer so they can't just switch formats if MS ticks them off and there isn't any strong competitor for operating systems for the "Wintel" standard.  But with consoles, you pretty much start over each gen anyway.  You can switch vendors with virtually no negative impact whatsoever.  These days we do have digital purchases but it still doesn't grab you for life like a computer can.

Sim City's whole always-online backfired so badly that EA gave away FREE games to smooth things over.  While the game sold well it was mostly due to a lot of customers not being fully aware of what they were getting into and they sure as hell made a big fuss once they found out.  And this is just a game which makes most of its money in release day sales anyway.  But a console has to last for years and building a reputation as "that always-online console that kicks you off any time there is a network hiccup and doesn't let you play used games" won't ensure longterm sales.  Odd are a big chunk of customers would buy the thing at launch having no idea about this always-online stuff, run into Sim City like issues with it, and return the thing thinking it's defective.

I say bring it on.  I want MS to do it and I want it to fail miserably so that no one will try it again.  Every console maker seems to let success go to their heads and then they **** up HUGE.  Nintendo couldn't sell the world on $80 cartridges over $50 CDs, Sony couldn't sell the world on a $600 console.  What fantasy land does MS live in where they think that the world will accept a console that locks out used games when there are other consoles on the next shelf over that don't?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile

Isn't this kind of the same with all communities? Whether it's film, television, tech, no matter what a company does, we will all continue sucking their dick.
No not fully.  Especially Film.  TV as well.  Tech is debatable.  Just not nearly as bad as gaming.

Ian, I will argue that MS in the OS has always been pretty darn willing to bend over backwards accomodating different standards and allowing people to use the platform.  Especially compared to Apple.  Who is by far the worse offender in the OS space for arbitrarily changing things on a whim and breaking BC.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:38:01 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
Always online=live required. That means a subscription is mandatory when buying the device. This is where we see MS introducing the "pay 200 now then 80 dollars a month forever" model.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Always online=live required. That means a subscription is mandatory when buying the device. This is where we see MS introducing the "pay 200 now then 80 dollars a month forever" model.
gee thanks for repeating what I said already... live is still a rip off

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
gee thanks for repeating what I said already... live is still a rip off

I'm not repeating what you said, I'm referencing the new subscription model for 360 they've been tring out. I expect them to try to sell it very cheaply up front with a much more expensive live that makes them more money in the long run

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
I Always online was a thing for the 720 ts probably been scrapped by now or is going to be. But it won't matter a lot of rumors for next gen is that if the big three won't do it than the publishers themselves will. Heard that Destiny, Watchdogs, and AC4 will be play while online only, or at least the game will be severly stripped down if your playing offline.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
So Paul Thurrott has confirmed via an article on his website that the next xbox is indeed.

http://winsupersite.com/xbox/xbox-vnext-and-always?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I was asked about this guy’s alleged meltdown on Twitter and via email a number of times. My take-aways were simple:
                                 1) Always-on connectivity is indeed part of the next Xbox, and it was interesting to see this guy confirm that unofficially.
                                 2) He could have been more tactful, but let’s face it, people are way too sensitive online.
                                 3) The biggest issue here, frankly, was the cyberbullying that occurred in the wake of Orth’s comments. Those sensitive people aren’t so sensitive when it comes to other people, that’s for sure. In fact, that’s my exact definition of a bully.

now I have a fourth take-away.
                                 4) Microsoft is only upset about the way this feature was communicated, because it likes to present this kind of thing has a positive, not a negative.
                                 Folks, the next Xbox is going to require an always-on Internet connection. I don’t know the specifics of what that means, but as I explained on this week’s What The Tech podcast, which was recorded on Friday instead of the usual Tuesday because of my travel earlier in this week, this piece of information had been communicated to me, along with some other relevant tidbits, in January. It’s true.
                                 Will Microsoft change this requirement in the wake of early outrage? Frankly I think we’re too far along in the development process of the next Xbox, codenamed Durango, to make such a change. More to the point, I think that an always-on Xbox is directly in keeping with Microsoft’s strategy for all next-generation platforms, including Windows Phone (all versions) and Windows 8/RT, which are designed to work as if you are simply connected all the time. Yes, they do work offline, of course. But the apps platform on these systems—which will be replicated on the Windows 8-based next Xbox—assumes a connection. Microsoft’s new platforms are integrated conduits for online services.

This does make a lot of sense if you look at Microsoft's ecosystem they're probably only second to google when it comes to have every thing connected and syncing.  Still this article as well as others haven't put down a distinct difference between always on and Always online. While being similar and going hand in hand sometimes they're two completely different thing. My uncle's apple TV is always on despite not always being online with the only way to truly turn it off being to unplug the device,
Its going to be interesting how Microsoft tries to spin this as a positive.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Funny thing, this thread was one of the first things I read after my internet returned from an unscheduled multi-hour outage in which I was still able to play my games.

#dealwithit
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Someone transcribed Paul's comments from this week's what the tech.
Quote:         
"The next Xbox is code-named Durango. And we have talked for a while about this notion that there might be another version of the Xbox that was just aimed at entertainment—a non-gaming device. That device was code-named 'Yumo' and they're not making it. They may make one in the future, but it's not happening this year.

"So the new Xbox that comes out this year will just be the Xbox. And I mentioned before they're also going to sell a new Xbox 360 code-named 'Stingray' that will be $99. And you might look at that as two things: backwards compatibility, obviously, suggesting—I don't actually know this for a fact, but based on the fact that they're making one—I don't think that the new Xbox will play 360 games. But that I don't actually know, that I'm guessing. But, the other one is that, $99, that's a real coo price. And so we know that the Xbox 360 does Netflix, Hulu Plus, yada yada yada, and you can make the argument that's kind of a low cost entertainment device, too.

"Durango is going to be expensive [laughs], you know $500, $300 for the subscription, that kind of thing, but you know, Blu-ray, blah blah blah, but the thing that interest me, going back and looking at some of the stuff I got a long time ago, it actually says 'must be internet-connected to use' in the notes. And that's all I have, but it does say that.

[Is that a bad thing?]

"I don't know because I don't know what it means. You know, when you look at some of the stories that were coming out this week about, you know, I saw a headline that said something like 'Next Xbox could be okay without an internet connection for as long as 3 minutes' or something like that. I don't even know what that means, so for me, Xbox 360 is almost entirely an online experience. Most of the games I play are multiplayer, where you're playing against other people online. Or you're using it as an entertainment device when you're connected to a service like Netflix or Xbox video, so that is an internet-connected device. In this phrase, it says 'must be internet-connected to use', you know, that suggests that you can't even boot into the UI and play—I don't know, I don't know, I don't have one.

"Originally, they were going to announce this thing in April—April 24—now they're going to announce it May 21. We know there are events occuring this year where we're going to learn more about Durango.

[And it's a fourth quarter release, right?]

"Early November, yeah. E3 is going to occur. BUILD is going to occur in San Francisco in June when they're going to talk about the developer story because it's a Windows 8 device. It's going to have the same, or basically the same, developer tools and developer APIs and all that kind of stuff. So I think there's a lot information to come, but I look at all this stuff that I've seen about Durango and I think, 'it's all positive.' I don't really see any bad news here at all. Like to me, everything I've seen about this is really positive. It's amazing to me that, based on like no information at all, everyone is like freaking out about everything. Aside from this online thing, by the way, the number one question I've gotten from people is, 'What does it look like?' Who gives a **** what it looks like?

"I've actually heard from, by the way not one or two people, several people who've said, 'based on what I've seen, Sony is going to blow them away.' Based on what you've seen? You've seen nothing. What are you talking about? No, but you've seen literally nothing from Microsoft.

[I don't think that's even a possibility considering how many people use Xbox LIVE... You're not going to have this mass Xbox audience jumping to Sony.]

"The problem Microsoft has has nothing to do with Sony or Nintendo anymore, it's Roku and AppleTV. The market for hardcore video games, the market of people will always buy the next Gears of War game, the next Halo game, the next Call of Duty game, it's fairly finite. It's a decent market, yada yada yada, it's not the market for tablets, it's not the market for smartphones.
[/t][/t][/t]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
to be fair microsoft actually has the money to buy the servers needed to do this
but a server system of that magnitude could bring xbox live fees up the 3 digit mark, i can honestly see them making live mandatory because to keep the servers running would be a huge pain, i find it ironic that microsoft was supposedly looking at creating their own cable service because xbox live may have to go under that pricing scheme
xbox live, only 20$ a month(or 240$ a year)
and now instead of just cutting off games when the next one goes around microsoft can literally just flip a switch and make every 720 a brick, you are buying a liscence to use a gaming system...