Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791021 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Valve has a better first party lineup than Microsoft or Sony.

Half Life
Day of Defeat
Counter Strike
Team Fortress
Portal
Left 4 Dead
DOTA

Almost all FPS games, and that is pretty much their only games released in the last 15 years. Not a very compelling argument.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
maybe i'll sit back and blow some *puts on shades* steam

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Valve has a better first party lineup than Microsoft or Sony.

Half Life
Day of Defeat
Counter Strike
Team Fortress
Portal
Left 4 Dead
DOTA

Almost all FPS games, and that is pretty much their only games released in the last 15 years. Not a very compelling argument.

Notice how many of those games are iconic and have went down in history as some of the best games of all time.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
You mean almost none of them? Some have gotten good praise, but best? You can take out DOD and DOTA. TF2 has a small cult following for multiplayer, but I dont think anyone considers it one of the best game of all time. Left 4 Dead seems to have lost most of it's popularity. Etc.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Small cult following? It's considered to be the best FPS for online. Portal? Half-Life? Counter-Strike? I'm not a PC guy but I know that those are very very popular.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
LOL, best FPS for online. Those 3 are popular, but I dont think anyone would call them among the best games of all time (for various reasons). The original Half-Life is also highly over-rated (HL2 is better, but I still would not consider it one of the best games ever).

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
Are you a console or PC gamer?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Mainly console, but I play PC games sometimes. And from what i've seen, its really only hardcore PC gamers (i.e. people who play almost only PC games) who try and day something like Counter-Strike is one of the best games ever

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Which planet are you living on TJ? Saying TF2 has a cult following is like saying the Titanic is a rowboat. TF2 is a blackhole of multiplayer time which draws players away from other games or games like it. Even Valve's own games are not immune to it's effects. Then DOTA turns around crushes that. http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

CS and it's variants are still the premiere tactical(tactilol) shooter.

Day of Defeat has a cult following because it's so bloody old.

We could talk all day whether it's "Best" and not get anywhere, but you can't deny the influence these games have. Plus I rather no play semantic dodge ball.

Go look up a wiki before you start talking out of the wrong hole again TJ.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
If TF2 has a small cult following than online multiplayer is dead. Only brand new games of select franchises beat those numbers and TF2 has already been out for 6 years.

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
With the exception of Half-life, all of those IPs started outside of Valve.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Portal is a puzzle game, not a shooter.  Just saying.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Well, it looks like the Steam Box may be DOA. Xi3's version of the Steam Box will START at $999 (with a 128GB SSD), with a 256GB model for $1,340 and a 512GB model for $1,750. Pretty much anyone could set up a good gaming setup with their tv for far less than that. If it was $300 it ought have had a small chance of at least being popular with a niche audience, but I think any chance of it being successful at all is dead now that the cheapest model is $1,000.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Well, it looks like the Steam Box may be DOA. Xi3's version of the Steam Box will START at $999 (with a 128GB SSD), with a 256GB model for $1,340 and a 512GB model for $1,750. Pretty much anyone could set up a good gaming setup with their tv for far less than that. If it was $300 it ought have had a small chance of at least being popular with a niche audience, but I think any chance of it being successful at all is dead now that the cheapest model is $1,000.
Have a link for that?

Yeah... Asking over $600 for the top model sort of killed that.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2030479/xi3-takes-orders-for-piston-steam-box-at-sub-1000-prices.html

There is a $100 discount to those who pre-order before March 17, though it's still over-priced.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2030479/xi3-takes-orders-for-piston-steam-box-at-sub-1000-prices.html

There is a $100 discount to those who pre-order before March 17, though it's still over-priced.

Making this thing so small, it's freaking fist sized, seems like something totally unnecessary that is jacking up the price.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:40:06 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile

Making his thing so small, it's freaking fist sized, seems like something totally unnecessary that is jacking up the price.

not exactly a looker either

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile

Making this thing so small, it's freaking fist sized, seems like something totally unnecessary that is jacking up the price.
I think that is exactly why the price is what it is.  I don't know if it's DOA, but this one sure is a hard sell.
Of course, there will be many other partners for this and ones that won't require an SSD and a tiny box (that thing is smaller than a GTX Titan) that will cost significantly less I think.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
The size IS what is making it so expensive. There's a point in technology where taking something (like a computer) and shrinking it to be just as good obviously makes the price go up.

Plus, it's a just a third party SteamBox. Wait for the flaming until the official Valve one is announced.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
Plus, it's a just a third party SteamBox. Wait for the flaming until the official Valve one is announced.
Good point.  Android based tablets were considered crap until Google had the Nexus 7 made and then they started to take off and everybody wanted one.  If Valve can so something similar, there may be hope for the SB yet.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Good point.  Android based tablets were considered crap until Google had the Nexus 7 made and then they started to take off and everybody wanted one.  If Valve can so something similar, there may be hope for the SB yet.
That's part of the Reason Microsoft made the Surface.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
well the kindle fire paved the way their
but we can all agree this isn't the kindle fire

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
Not really, Kindle Fire is an Amazon product using a derivative of Android.  In order for it to be an Android product, you would need to jailbreak it and at that point, it is no longer a Kindle Fire.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Not really, Kindle Fire is an Amazon product using a derivative of Android.  In order for it to be an Android product, you would need to jailbreak it and at that point, it is no longer a Kindle Fire.
it did make smaller tablets more mainstream which is what i'm getting at

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
So could we actually make a Steam Box discussion thread and move all these off topic posts there.  Sure, I know there is nothing new to talk about Xbox720 yet...but they just seem outta place.