Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 790999 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Kinwctbwing bundled means its going to used for more than dance and fitness games a hopefully.

Though I really don't see how always online is a bad thing. (Though I'm sure they meant always on similar to a phone or tablet)
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Kinwctbwing bundled means its going to used for more than dance and fitness games a hopefully.

Though I really don't see how always online is a bad thing. (Though I'm sure they meant always on similar to a phone or tablet)
because microsoft can charge for xbox live and make it REQUIRED to use the system

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Always online is a bad thing because not everyone has a strong Internet connection, even in the US. That means, there's an entire group of people who flat-out can't play the console.

Always online with Kinect required is simply really creepy. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't like the idea of a camera potentially broadcasting my entire living room to the interwebz. Will anyone spy on me? Not terribly likely. Can they? Yeah, probably. It's far more likely with a camera directed into my living space than without. I'm sure there are security measures, but I don't like that a requirement to have a camera coupled with a persistent internet connection exists on the console therefore I would just avoid the console. I'll just stick with my Wii U that doesn't require a camera and internet conmection (it only has a really poor quality camera on the controller that needs to be pointed at things to be effective). While not exactly the same thing, it reminds me of Robbins vs Lower Merion School district. Am I being paranoid? Sure, but I don't think you can ever be too careful with your privacy.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:29:01 AM by Adrock »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Well I was twelve when Facebook came out and fourteen when twitter hit so I probably have been condtioned through that and modern day smart phones to be always online. I guess its because my Xbox is always online anyway

I do see the fear of Microsoft making live needed to use.

I also agree with the lack of internet thing hampering a lot of people.  I forget that internet penetration isn't where it should be even I. The US. I have a few family members who don't have internet for various reasons.

Also I don't think its going to inline only. Pretty sure who ever said that got it confused with Always On. Its going too be like most tablets/laptops/smartphones where they want you never then it off but have it in a sleep one.

I guess one would Argus that Always On its self is pretty useless with out an internet connection itself but that's a topic for another day.

Also it looks like Lionhead is working on their new game using Unreal Engine 4.

https://mobile.twitter.com/supererogatory/status/307035456216915970

Makes the second first party game running the engine (Eurogamer said Knack from Sony's Japan Studio was running in the engine as well)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Wasn't the Wii always connected? Wasn't that the WiiConnect24? Not that it meant anything.

But I think the whole "Kinect Required" thing is a baseless fear. What exactly would it be required for? I don't think MS can sell the idea of you having to have a peripheral connected to you system at all times, even when you don't have to use it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Voice commands and face recognition would be my guess as to why it could be mandatory.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Voice commands and face recognition would be my guess as to why it could be mandatory.
That could be it.  Can't sign in without facial recognition.  That makes a lot of sense.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
If its required its as much a peripheral as the Wii Sensor bar is for the Wii.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Not sure if it adds fire to the next gen xbox always online rumors or not, But upcoming game Ascend new gods is going to be online only even when player the game's single player component.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/06/ascend-new-gods-beta-coming-requires-online-connection

Microsoft also announced a new hub on the xbox live dashboard this one aimed at the Latin American audience called Zona Latina.
Yesterday Microsoft livestreamed a short video hour long gears of war judgement video. Game looks good but its going to be interesting how well the game will do with little marketing.

Fnally I want this bad

Had something to post about smartglass but i'll do that later.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Its says 20xx which can only mean one thing.  Rare has Acquired the Megaman license.  Now Megaman will have objects to collect and explode into Candy when he dies.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
So one of the games that Rare is working looks to be Physics based Kinect game whatever that means.
Rare's posted a bunch of job vacancies for its mysterious new Kinect project, which (given the timing) is all but guaranteed to be a next generation Xbox game. They don't tell us much that's new, but I like to keep these things ticking over.

The developer is in the market for a an experienced, passionate and highly technical engineer to help us deliver the services that will power our next amazing product." This illustrious individual will be responsible for the creation of "large scale distributed systems with a focus on scalability, reliability and maintainability" and will "[drive] continuous improvement through rapid iteration and short ship cycles". Experience with cloud based services is "desirable".

There's also a region design manager to assist with "the next jaw-dropping, never-been-done-before Rare project". Advantageous criteria include "experience of motion gaming, especially Kinect technology".

I do find find the article t be a bit hyperbolish though as only one of the job postings even mentions Kinect. Article also ignores all of the codemasters people that have been hired by rare.
Another look at the Rare bag.

Don Mattrick President of the Xbox Division doesn't see Valve as a threat.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/5/4066950/microsoft-don-mattrick-valve-no-xbox-competitor

Valve is preparing to enter the console market with its "Steam Box" gaming hardware, but Microsoft doesn't consider it as a competitor just yet. Speaking at Microsoft's TechForum this week, Don Mattrick, president of the Interactive Entertainment Business, fielded questions about the strategy for Xbox and its competition. Asked about viewing Valve as a competitor, Mattrick simply said "no" before noting Valve is "doing some innovative stuff" and creating some great experiences. "The scale of products and things that are being brought to market are probably a little bit richer when I look at Sony, Nintendo, Apple, and Google," noted Mattrick.

Also Gears Judgment comes out next week. I'm expecting it to bad compared to the other gears games but sell just enough to justify its existence.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Steam Box is not a console, it's a gimped PC. It's a stripped down PC, literally, taking a PC and stripping away everything except the ability to play PC games (specifically Steam games). It's a niche product at best, as the only people who would really be interested in it already have the knowledge to play PC games on their TV.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Steam Box is not a console, it's a gimped PC. It's a stripped down PC, literally, taking a PC and stripping away everything except the ability to play PC games (specifically Steam games). It's a niche product at best, as the only people who would really be interested in it already have the knowledge to play PC games on their TV.
Isn't it a PC in a console format. The big picture mode looks like a console interface.

But I was wondering who it is marketed towards. PC gamers will just build their own rigs, and the average consumer will stick with the big three. Also Valve doesn't have the IP like Ninty, MS, and Sony does.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Actually, I would love to have this. I'm way to lazy to build my own, or pay someone to do it. If Valve made a Steambox that could run games at a reasonable quality, plus play the next-gen stuff coming up, I'd buy it in a heart beat. I already have a computer to do other computer things. I just want a computer for gaming now.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
yeah im just going to build my own home theater based pc system for gaming.
Actually, I would love to have this. I'm way to lazy to build my own, or pay someone to do it. If Valve made a Steambox that could run games at a reasonable quality, plus play the next-gen stuff coming up, I'd buy it in a heart beat. I already have a computer to do other computer things. I just want a computer for gaming now.
if the steam box is some kind of starter kit type deal that can run modern gamess and be upgraded later then its a very interesting deal

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
Depending on the price, I may want to get the Steam box as well.  With all the Humble Indie Bundles I've picked up, it'd be great to be able to try them on the big screen.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
If u have a TV made within the last 5 years, you can stream PC games to your TV for very little money (FAR less than the rumored $300 Steam Box will cost) and use your Xbox 360 controller (which most PC games support).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
If u have a TV made within the last 5 years, you can stream PC games to your TV for very little money (FAR less than the rumored $300 Steam Box will cost) and use your Xbox 360 controller (which most PC games support).
Don't have a PC (only a laptop with less than desirable graphics capabilities) and the TV is rear projection and I don't have a 360 controller.  It'd cost more to get all those things than to just get a Steam Box. 

Steam Box makes me wonder when EA will make their own Origin Box.  We know they've been rumored to want to make their own console before.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
My main problem with the steambox is that they are trying to sell a PC in a console market. One of the big reason that people et consoles is the exclusive games. I love my Zelda/Halo/uncharted and that isn't something I think Valve can do. I just  can't see them making the next Portal or Half life exclusive to only the steam platform.

In Microsoft Studio news Matter the Kinect powered xbla game by Director Gore Verbinski has been cancelled
. http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/06/microsoft-cancels-gore-verbinskis-matter-for-kinect/

No reasons have been given for the titles cancelation but speculation was the game wasn't turning out good and was costing money that could go to other projects.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Well not to mention it takes FOREVEEEEEERRRRR for Valve to release an actually new game.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
There is one way where I see value in the Steambox.  Back when games were 2D, if you had a PC it could play games pretty damn well.  The niche element of PC gaming was more because a lot of people didn't have a computer in their house.  Now everyone has some sort of computer or a smartphone or tablet that they effectively use as a computer substitute.  But your run-of-the-mill PC these days isn't really game friendly.  They don't include fancy graphics cards with a typical email-and-word-processing computer.  So I can see some value in buying a console that plays PC games if you don't want to bother getting a decent gaming PC.

But this really only makes sense if the PC platform has sufficient exclusives.  These days there is a lot of crossover between PCs and consoles and a lot of games are designed with consoles in mind.  The PC does not have the exclusives it did in the past, when you could own a PC and a console and have completely different libraries.  Plus I imagine that a good chunk of the intended audience for this is content with smartphone games and has less need for such a device as they would have ten years ago.  Casuals are a lost cause for any dedicated videogame system.

Much of the appeal is the same appeal that consoles in general have.  So really the Steambox is just a fourth console to compete with Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
My main problem with the steambox is that they are trying to sell a PC in a console market. One of the big reason that people et consoles is the exclusive games.

That's why I think it has a chance, third party exclusives died this gen. Sony and MS just don't have the first party to carry the consoles, look at the Sony Smash clone. MS has Halo, which is a runner up in the fps arena today and ... Fable. Unless you have tons of love for Naughty Dog the Steambox is a great deal for people planning on getting these consoles.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Valve has a better first party lineup than Microsoft or Sony.

Half Life
Day of Defeat
Counter Strike
Team Fortress
Portal
Left 4 Dead
DOTA

Steam is also superior to Xbox Live

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile

Half Life
Day of Defeat
Counter Strike
Team Fortress
Portal
Left 4 Dead
DOTA

Steam IS their system seller for me building a pc

Offline Ceric

• View Profile

Half Life
Day of Defeat
Counter Strike
Team Fortress
Portal
Left 4 Dead
DOTA

Looking at that list the first thing that popped in my had was Half-Life 4 Mods 2 Games