Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791033 times)

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Rumour: Microsoft will not reveal next X-Box at E-3. It will wait until a week before PS4 launch and have its own blowout reveal press conference. Release date: June 2014.

I just made all that up. It is based on my reaction to the PS4 reveal.
Nice idea, but expect an announcement about an event in March soon.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I wouldn't really call it a ripoff either. Cellphones have been sold like that for years. It's exactly the same principle. Now, if you feel that Xbox Live itself is a ripoff, then that's a different argument.

The difference with cell phones is you need a subscription so they can fufill their primary function. You have to have airtime minutes to use the phone! With a console, you can play a video game disc with no connection. At least you used to, we will see what shenanigans Microsoft and Sony get up to this next generation.

That's true. But what is MS supposed to do? Just offer the Xbox on layaway? Set you up with a payment plan? Charge interest? Or sell you a service that you can use with your system?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
On the topic of backwards-compatibilty:

Do you think Microsoft will have full backwards-compatibility with the Next Xbox? If they use standardized PC components again, then it may very well be achievable (either through software emulation or miniaturized Xbox 360 chips). All we'd have to do is sign in with our Xbox Live accounts, and all our purchases would be transferred over. Why couldn't Sony make it that easy? It can be done through software emulation.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Sony was using a completely different architecture, and emulating the Cell would likely be a pain in the ass. The only way they could have done local BC was by including the Cell chip in the system, which would drive up the price of already-expensive hardware.

Microsoft's now under a lot less pressure to include BC, although on the flipside if they manage to make it so you can play 360 discs on the 720 they've got a leg up on Sony.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Sony was using a completely different architecture, and emulating the Cell would likely be a pain in the ass. The only way they could have done local BC was by including the Cell chip in the system, which would drive up the price of already-expensive hardware.

Microsoft's now under a lot less pressure to include BC, although on the flipside if they manage to make it so you can play 360 discs on the 720 they've got a leg up on Sony.

If Nintendo is the only one with true backwards-compatibility (Wii U and 3DS), then I feel sad for all those people who traded in their PS3's expecting to play the games on a PS4... And all those PSN purchases will go to waste, since you can't transfer them to the new hardware.

What nonsense is this? If you buy a new Android phone from a different manufacturer, you can still use all your previously-purchased content. It just transfers over when you log into your Google Account.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Android phones (and iOS phones and Macs and PCs) don't have massive changes in architecture very often. You also have the fact that with game consoles, especially late in generations, developers have the tendency to "code to the metal" and go outside the SDK and build software that depends on the specific intricacies of the hardware, which isn't possible with basically any other kind of device, and makes it that much harder to implement backwards compatibility.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Which begs the question is that wise programming.  We are getting the point in graphics and technology where that additional boost in power isn't really worth not being able to support full backwards compatibility. 

I would rather know I can continue to play my old games because the OS and hardware are designed to be compatible for future generations.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Backwards compatibility doesn't matter that much to third parties. They'd rather have the advantage of the best-looking, best-performing games that you get from coding that way. Short of forbidding developers from doing that, which would drive third parties away and give your competitors an advantage, there isn't much chance of getting rid of the practice.

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/392950/industry-expects-microsofts-response-to-ps4-in-april/

A growing number of developers and other industry professionals, some of which are Sony employees, have told CVG that Microsoft will reveal its next generation Xbox for the first time in April.
Quote:
One senior Sony official, who asked not to be named, said he was informed that the PS4 showcase in New York had "at first caught Microsoft off-guard".
"We definitely ruffled some feathers," the person said.

It is said that Microsoft will now showcase its console at a one-off media event in early April - though it is expected that discussion about future tech would be an inevitability if Microsoft engineers and developers attend GDC in March.[\quote]

Was going with late march around GDC myself but I could see them falling in to April instead.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Which begs the question is that wise programming.  We are getting the point in graphics and technology where that additional boost in power isn't really worth not being able to support full backwards compatibility. 

I would rather know I can continue to play my old games because the OS and hardware are designed to be compatible for future generations.
Backwards compatibility doesn't matter that much to third parties. They'd rather have the advantage of the best-looking, best-performing games that you get from coding that way. Short of forbidding developers from doing that, which would drive third parties away and give your competitors an advantage, there isn't much chance of getting rid of the practice.
Their is really no advantage in the Game Console arena to program for Future Compatibility.  Now that being said.  Microsoft has a little bit of an advantage here.  If you code to the APIs using the XNA architecture you get the Windows version for essentially "free."  That a developer would care about.  PC Versions might not be the initial gang banger but with Steam and like they do have some long legs.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile

GAF ninjas found d this stuff

The company Eventcore (formerly ustechs) just registered the Domain xboxevent.com yesterday (February 21th)
http://whois.domaintools.com/xboxevent.com

Eventcore plans and executes large events and meetings like 2013 AT&T developer summit (http://www.whois.com/whois/2013devsummit.com) and they only acquire domains for events they are organizing.
https://www.eventcore.com/

They also have MS in their list of references. (e.g. https://microsofthostingsummit.com/)
But especially this:
www.xboxe312.com (google cache) - official site for media registration for E3 2012 Keynote

This event is also managed by Eventcore and the domain was acquired also by them.

Now we compare both sites:

another example:

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Probably nothing but one of thew big rumors was that Microsoft had a racing game set for launch similar to drive club. There was a rumor of Rare working on a Water based racing game similar to Hydro Thunder. Turn 10 said this would be a good year but I'm just expecting a showing of Forza Motorsport 6 which won't be released into next year.

That leaves the lucid games rumor which the newly formed studio fro,m ex bizzare guys working with you either rare or turn 10 similar to how playground games worked with turn to work of Horizon.

Now Microsoft has renewed the trademark for project Gotham Racing

[Img]http://i3.minus.com/jptf6viudXdnx.png[img]

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
The associate Editor of CVG is saying the Xbox event is. April 26th

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
all kinect

Yes a because the $300 million Microsoft put down for partnerships is for nothing but Kinect games. Don't forget all of the new studios they have been developing and grabbing Phil Harrison to restructure their European branch. All for Kinect yep. Those rumors of Ryse dropping being Kincet was a lie. So was the fact that Black Tusk dropped their Kinect project

But seriously expecting all Kinect is pretty dumb. I see their studio line up split between.

Kinect Studios
Rare
Good Science Studio
Kids and Lifestyle Entertainment
Playful Learning( this is a maybe)
Soho Productions
BigPark(sharing small kinect duties)

AAA development studios
Rare
Lionhead
Turn10
blacktusk
343( i expect them to make a halo spinoff)
Platform Next Studios(maybe?)
Bigpark(rumored I believe it)

Smaller niche/arcade studios
Twistedpixel( I think they might surprise us with a big release)
big park
Lift London
Press Play

2nd/3rd Party exclusive studios

Lucid?
crytek
playgroundgames ( I can see them being purchased)
4J Studios
epic ?
Remedy
Signal Studios( I can see them being purchased)
undead labs

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Rare doing a AAA game? LOL, they haven't done a game that would be considered AAA (in quality or importance) since 2005.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
oh and windows 8 metro down your throat(if they havent already)

tbh i imagine the 720 will bring a huge focus to kinect and even using it in conjuction with the standard controller
and i doubt we will see much of an update on the controller
maybe a better D-pad among other minor things

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Rare doing a AAA game? LOL, they haven't done a game that would be considered AAA (in quality or importance) since 2005.

Wut

releases since 2005 from Rare along with the adorning meta critic scores

Its mr. Pants 73
Kameo: power of the elements 79
Perfect Dark Zero 81
Viva Pinata 84
Diddy Kong Racing 3D 64
Jetpac refuelled 73
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradsie 82
Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise 82
Banjo and Kazzoie: Nuts and Bolts 79
Kinect Sports 73
Kinect Sports 2 66

I find it weird that their is this narrative in the Gaming community (especially the nintendo branches) that rare is dead despite evidence pointing too their games being reviewed Not only that their last two games were critical success and tied to the kinect so most would consider them important.

Even if your one not liking the Studio's current output (kinect/Avatars all day everyday)the studio has gone through a restructuring this past year after Phil Harrison joined Microsoft as the head of Microsoft Studios Europe.

Rare hired Craig Duncan as its Studio head and he has been working their for the past year in that postion and Simon Woodroffe as the Creative Director in April iof last yea.

Not only that but the studo has been Hiring like crazy

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile

tbh i imagine the 720 will bring a huge focus to kinect and even using it in conjunction with the standard controller

Have you used metro because its pretty damned intuitive on the Laptop im working on right now. Plus getting a sweet Asus touch screen ultrabook this weekend. 

Only real change I want from the controller is a better D-pad. They might pull a sony and change up the center of the controller as wel.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I love that you show a list of Metacritic scores averaging in the mid-70s as proof that Rare can make AAA games. Four scores in the 80s, but three are the incredibly casual Viva Pinata and one is Perfect Dark Zero, which in no way deserves that high a score and only got it because it was a launch game.

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Wouldn't games in the 70+range be considered good and those 65 and below would be considered average to bad. Unless were grading on the Games Media retarded scoring system where 60/70 is somehow bad.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
What is a good score varies from outlet to outlet, but a Metacritic score in the 70s really isn't that good.

Rare hasn't made a great game since the N64, and that's not just the perspective of a Nintendo fan. Through some combination of loss of talent and the loss of the guiding force of Nintendo, they are no longer anywhere near a top tier developer.

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
I will admit that there out out isnt as consistent or out the gate as they were in the 90s. (though you probably couldn't name one dev who still has that kind of output)

But I would argue that Nuts and Bolts got unfairly crapped on for not being Banjo Threeie and i'd personally say that Viva Pinata is far better than any of the classic rare stuff barring Goldern eye/Perfect Dark/DKC.

At this point though who says that Rare cant make another god game since this is essntially a new era for the company. I think only a few old guard are left and the last one to leave was the former director of rare to go and become the Studio head of Microsoft's London studio.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I liked Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, but it's in no way a AAA title. I'm not saying Rare can't make good games, just that there's no evidence to suggest that they're capable of putting out anything on the level of their old hits. They could turn it around, but listing them as a AAA studio at this point is ridiculous.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile

tbh i imagine the 720 will bring a huge focus to kinect and even using it in conjunction with the standard controller

Have you used metro because its pretty damned intuitive on the Laptop im working on right now. Plus getting a sweet Asus touch screen ultrabook this weekend. 

Only real change I want from the controller is a better D-pad. They might pull a sony and change up the center of the controller as wel.
what if you dont have a touchscreen or touchpad like a desktop