Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791053 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Don't think Microsoft is going to do it. No ones wants to be the guy who kills used games despite pubs probably really wanting it. That and the rumor is from Kotaku and Super DAE who aren't exactly trust worthy.

Also at the one of the All things D events Microsoft renamed Microsoft Studios LA to Xbox Entertainment Studios.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/11/microsoft-xbox-360-premium-content-plans-entertainment/
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/features/2013/feb13/02-11Xbox.aspx

Yusuf Mehdi, senior vice president of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business, just sat down alongside Nancy Tellem, Corporate Vice President at Microsoft LA Studios, to kick off this year's rendition of D:Dive Into Media here in Dana Point, Calif. The first session of the evening is being piloted by AllThingsD's Peter Kafka, and naturally, the topic of conversation is Xbox. For starters, Mehdi affirmed that Microsoft is witnessing an unmistakable transition of the Xbox 360 "from a gaming console to an entertainment console." At present, the install base is up to 76 million (up from around 70 million at the close of September 2012), with US-based users using the console for some 87 hours per month.

In fact, he stated that 18 billion (yeah, with a "B") hours of entertainment have been consumed on Xbox, and while Netflix is obviously the driving force, it might not be that way for much longer. He was quick to claim that Sony's PlayStation 3 "isn't as good of an entertainment console" -- something he feels that "everybody knows" -- and insinuated that the next-generation Xbox will stick to "big and premium." In other words, don't expect Microsoft to kick out a $50 Roku-style content box. Mehdi wants to ensure that the future of Xbox enables voice control, interactivity, and "other stuff that's big and beautiful."

Kicking the conversation over to Tellem, she affirmed that Microsoft is going to invest in premium content -- and in fact, said that she "hopes" for some of it to actually hit end users this year. Not surprisingly, folks are going to be asked to pay for it, but she wasn't willing to talk specifics. Of course, existing Xbox Live users are technically already paying, so it's possible that this new wave of content will be bundled into that monthly cost. When asked if Microsoft was planning to fund its own shows (much like Amazon and Netflix are doing), she seemed open to the idea, but also noted that Microsoft will absolutely partner with existing studios and content creators in order to give them yet another outlet (read: not pay-TV) to get people hooked.

Finally, she noted that there's "more latitude" in what kinds of material they can produce given that console distribution isn't as regulated as traditional broadcast. And, while a good deal of it will aim to satisfy the 18-24 male demographic, we're told that womenfolk and families will be looked after, too. Oh, and as for these Microsoft-funded shows hitting other distribution outlets? According to Tellem, that's unlikely -- at least at first -- but a sizable enough check from the likes of Hulu, Amazon, Sony, etc. could very well change that. In response to a question from TechCrunch's Ryan Lawler, Tellem noted that Microsoft's desire to churn out original, interactive entertainment is a way to both "move consoles, create new relationships with consumers and to expand [Microsoft's] audience," and from a higher level, to create the next generation of TV and "have it be a hit."

Also got this info graphic

This was pretty interesting as well

On the premium content front, Microsoft is once again dabbling in producing original material. Former CBS executive Nancy Tellem talked about the 125-person production studio Microsoft has opened in Santa Monica with a goal of having its first fruits land in the living room later this year.

On the distribution front, Mehdi said that the company isn’t looking to compete with cable TV and satellite, but instead intends to be a good partner with those companies. (Microsoft does have a separate TV software business that powers services such as AT&T’s U-verse.)

Studio already has around 125 people and have its first content ready for this year.

Microsoft's previous in house live action works were the Alan Wake Brought Falls series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhlRIveyfEs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And the Halo: Forward unto Dawn series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca3Y8Ws3plI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Kotaku has a good reputation for being reliable.

Also, DaE is the person who sold a Durango devkit on eBay and is the one responsible for posting the Orbis and Durango devkit specs that many people think are real.

shingi, do you work for Microsoft? You are always shilling for them. Either you work for them or you are a MS fanboy (which is fine, but it's excessive).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Always online, locked out used games and mandatory Kinect. Microsoft can't be that stupid, can they? That's the kind of arrogance you saw from Sony leading into the PS3.

since Xbox became the new synonym for video game console, I'd say they've reached that point of arrogance like Sony and Nintendo before it. Let them learn their lesson.

Synonym for FPS, third person shooters and expensive online play.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
expensive online play.

Since when is $5 a month "expensive"? Even less if you find Xbox Live cards at a discount.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
expensive online play.

Since when is $5 a month "expensive"? Even less if you find Xbox Live cards at a discount.

Well PSN and Nintendo network are both free, so charging for a service that you already pay for in the first place is pretty shitty.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Mandatory Kinect can go to hell. It makes sense to package it with every unit so it gets used. I just don't like the idea of a machine that is supposedly connected online all the time with a camera that needs to be plugged in to function. Always online + always on motion detecting camera sounds like a terrible idea. I don't want that in my living room. I don't want that in my bedroom. I do not like that in a house. I do not like that with a mouse. I do not like that here or there. I do not like Kinect. I do not like that Microsoft.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
expensive online play.

when your already paying for internet and then have to pay again to use it with one specific device is where my problem comes from

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
He was quick to claim that Sony's PlayStation 3 "isn't as good of an entertainment console" -- something he feels that "everybody knows"
I couldn't stop laughing there.  I'll get to the rest of the post but, yeah... No.  Just No.
Mandatory Kinect can go to hell. It makes sense to package it with every unit so it gets used. I just don't like the idea of a machine that is supposedly connected online all the time with a camera that needs to be plugged in to function. Always online + always on motion detecting camera sounds like a terrible idea. I don't want that in my living room. I don't want that in my bedroom. I do not like that in a house. I do not like that with a mouse. I do not like that here or there. I do not like Kinect. I do not like that Microsoft.
But if you keep going with that story then they will eventually convince you to like it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:55:45 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Ha, true.

In all seriousness, I'm not comfortable with a required camera. Kind of creeps me out.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Ha, true.

In all seriousness, I'm not comfortable with a required camera. Kind of creeps me out.
Creeps me out too.  If you're online, does it send data back to Microsoft telling them what you are doing while playing or watching something? They are bashing Google for collecting user data, but requiring the Kinect to always be connected seems like they want to do the same thing in a different way.

Offline Do_What

• View Profile
How many of those live users are like me and don't pay for Gold? I'm a member, but I don't use any of the entertainment features because I don't want to pay to use netflix or amazon or anything. I just feel like that 46 million number may not be telling the story Microsoft wants it to.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
How many of those live users are like me and don't pay for Gold? I'm a member, but I don't use any of the entertainment features because I don't want to pay to use netflix or amazon or anything. I just feel like that 46 million number may not be telling the story Microsoft wants it to.
Yeah, I also be very surprised to find more then say 10% of PS3 owners who never used their PS3 for multimedia, pretty much anything thats not games and web browsing.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop

Not sure the current number, but in December 2010 Microsoft said 50% of Xbox Live members had Gold subscriptions. At the time there were 25 million Live members, meaning about 12.5 million people were Gold subscribers.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
That always online camera stuff really does make uncomfortable.  I just wouldn't buy the new Xbox, end of story.  But then I realized as we all become more and more connected to the internet, that I feel like becoming more of a luddite, clinging to my old technology.  Privacy does not seem to be something that the younger generation values anymore, but I do, so stuff like Facebook and Google selling my usage statistics in exchange for using their free services kind of freak me out.  I can think of younger co-workers of mine who wouldn't give two shits about always online Kinect being able to, in theory, watch them.  But for me that betrays something that was emphasized as important throughout my entire childhood.

If always-online becomes the norm for videogame systems I can see myself sticking to classic systems.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Yeah, I also be very surprised to find more then say 10% of PS3 owners who never used their PS3 for multimedia, pretty much anything thats not games and web browsing.
Why do you think this?  It's free for PS3 members to use the multimedia aspects of it.  It costs money on the 360.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Always online, locked out used games and mandatory Kinect. Microsoft can't be that stupid, can they? That's the kind of arrogance you saw from Sony leading into the PS3.

since Xbox became the new synonym for video game console, I'd say they've reached that point of arrogance like Sony and Nintendo before it. Let them learn their lesson.

Synonym for FPS, third person shooters and expensive online play.

with COD selling year after year the way it does, F/TPS and expensive online play are synonymous with video games too :P

While it ended a little weak, I still nominate this as post of the year.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Why do you think this?  It's free for PS3 members to use the multimedia aspects of it.  It costs money on the 360.
Thats why I be surprised if more than 10% of the PS3 users never used their PS3 for Multimedia.

That always online camera stuff really does make uncomfortable.  I just wouldn't buy the new Xbox, end of story.  But then I realized as we all become more and more connected to the internet, that I feel like becoming more of a luddite, clinging to my old technology.  Privacy does not seem to be something that the younger generation values anymore, but I do, so stuff like Facebook and Google selling my usage statistics in exchange for using their free services kind of freak me out.  I can think of younger co-workers of mine who wouldn't give two shits about always online Kinect being able to, in theory, watch them.  But for me that betrays something that was emphasized as important throughout my entire childhood.

If always-online becomes the norm for videogame systems I can see myself sticking to classic systems.
Glad you realize that Facebook and Google are not actually free. Capitalism at work.  Younger generation grow up with it.  I personally deal with a lot of Data in my job.  Data is only powerful if used but, somethings people really want to keep secret I don't understand.  My health records and DNA are not really anything I'm overly concerned with.  Health Records only matter to Insurance and they get all of those.  DNA you can't Clone people, its not used for any financial reason, etc.  I mean the worse is having someone tailor a virus to your DNA or finding a Child you didn't know you had.  In my case:
1) No one wants to Assisinate and if they did all they have to do is send poison laced cookies to work.
2) I only have 1 child despite trying very hard to have another.

Now Social Security and Driver license.  Alright I understand that but, those are only powerful because you can use them to identify themselves and all that entails.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:19:23 PM by Ceric »

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Ceric, if you don't place a high value on your personal health info, that's fine, you can always freely consent to its use and disclosure. But surely you realize you are in the minority here? Society in general recognizes that personal health info is among the most sensitive and deeply personal and worthy of the highest levels of protections. There are whole acts/laws devoted to just that that include stringent penalties for breaches.
It's not lways just about money...
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Your medical information is incredible sensitive to you and others around. With it you can be attacked, discriminated against, blackmailed and not to mention identity theft.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Your medical information is incredible sensitive to you and others around. With it you can be attacked, discriminated against, blackmailed and not to mention identity theft.
Besides discrimination.  How?

How can you really steal my identity with my Health information?  Remember Social Security Number is not Health information and Date of Birth and Name is part of the Public Record.

How can I be Attacked by my Health Information?  Unless you are going through the trouble of tailoring something specifically for me.  If you go through that much cost and trouble you could get that information anyways.

Blackmail in my case would not work.  I've been part of interviews for Security Clearance before.  One of the interesting things I learned is your sexual orientation didn't matter but, HIDING your sexual orientation could cost you clearance because, that could be used to blackmail you.

Discrimination I even addressed some.  Though that can happen for many reasons.

In the end I think the real reason is that we do not like someone else knowing something we consider base to ourselves and exclusive.  The usefulness of the information is not overly relevant its the idea of knowing its mine and only the ones I choose know it.

I have more to say but that broaches straight into politics.

Suffice it to say that I be more upset if someone shared naked pictures of me on the Internet because of my low self image then I would be if my straight medical history where out their.  Now the day we start using straight biometrics for more things my opinion will probably change.  Though with an always on Camera the whole naked picture thing would be vastly more likely.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:28:57 PM by Ceric »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'm also a Silver member by choice, because I personally believe the Gold service is a colossal rip-off considering all I'd want from it would be online play and download sales.  And incidentally, both of those things are available to me for free on my PS3, even if Sony's download times border on the obscene.  I pay for PlayStation Plus, but the benefits of that service are laughably greater than what Microsoft's offering and you get more than a return on your investment there in discounts and "free" games.

I'll be really interested to see if Microsoft will still be able to get away with charging for online play in the next incarnation of the XBox, considering no one else does.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:12:12 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Hey Ceric, I hear you have anal warts!

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Hey Ceric, I hear you have anal warts!

That guy has anal warts?? Toss out his resume post-haste!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
hay guyz wuts goin on in this thread

No, seriously, WTF is going on here?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
I don't know but since I accidentally posted in this thread, it will curse my unread topics page forever. I guess we were highlighting the importance of internet privacy when you use online services, such as that of the XBoxen?

Anyway, whatever Microsoft hurfs out for the next generation, it's probably a day 1 purchase for me barring any colossal fuckups. I got the 360 after I got a Wii and PS3, and ended up playing on the 360 almost exclusively, mostly due to it offering the best online play. That's the #1 thing I'm looking for and will look for in the next generation.