Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791180 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
The NeoGAF thread is quick to point out that this is the same thing that's been going on on PC for years, and yet Steam is still hugely popular.
Isn't Steam being sued in Germany right now for the used game sale policy?

The EU's a whole different ballgame. It'd be interesting to see how people would respond if the European courts struck this down but they kept on doing it in the US.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Most likely there will be a means to let a friend borrow a game.  Perhaps like Barnesand Nobles Lend a book, and that may allow rental shops to still function.  Or MS could just set up a means to download and sample every game before buying.  But I do think this is worse for gamers, but great for the industry....at least on paper.  If MS did this, but required MSRP to be 10 dollars cheaper, that would help cut the blow.  If the industry could get games to 39.99 a game, I believe itcould do better all around.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Gamestop is expected to close 500 stores this year, so if Sony and Microsoft abolish used games then Gamestop might very well go under.

http://gamercheeese.com/2013/02/03/gamestop-to-close-500-stores-in-2013/

2012 annual sales figures were recently released, and according to Business Insider, the used game juggernaut is downsizing across the country. At least 500 GameStop stores are potentially closing their doors, and there aren’t too many gamers that are sad to hear it.[/size]In the wake of subpar sales, smear campaigns by rental companies like GameFly, and a general loss of respect by frequent customers, GameStop has been slowly losing business for a while. Many major retailers like Best Buy and Target are already carrying previously owned games. Meanwhile, digital gaming is taking control, and despite the efforts to start selling prepaid Steam gift cards, most gamers are staying away from GameStop.[/color]GameStop’s future becomes bleaker when considering the next Microsoft and Sony consoles may or may not support used games. On top of that uncertainty, Game Stop also has to compete with the rise of online phone games, indie games, and a potential wave of microconsoles set to release over the next year.[/color]This would leave GameStop to the hardcore gamer wolves. The only product they would be able to move would be the Wii U, new games, and outdated titles. When is the last time anyone walked into a GameStop and they made a retro gamer feel welcome? Odds are pretty decent that 500 closed doors will mark the beginning of the death of a long line of absorbed game store outlets (including the once great EB Games).[/color]GameStop isn’t evaporating overnight, but this is definitely a huge ‘I told you so’ in the eyes of many gamers who have become increasingly fed up with poor customer service, overpriced titles, and the general lack of industry knowledge by many GameStop employees.[/color]I have come across a handful of knowledgeable, polite, and even helpful GameStop employees. I hope the stores these employees work at are some of the many stores to remain open.
[/color]
How do you feel about GameStop closing doors?[/font][/color][/size]
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Sony and Microsoft would not be stupid enough to sell consoles that have to always be online and can't play used games, like they would tank majorly and the Board of Directors for both would revolt and fire Kaz Hirai and Steve Ballmer.

And the write of that blog will never be a professional journalist since they have an obvious bias against GameStop. GameStop going under would be bad for gamers. For one, Best Buy and Target barely have any used games (Target practically has none), and GameStop carries many niche titles that electronics stores don't.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
If doing this would get Microsoft to fire Steve Ballmer I really hope they're going to do it. He has no business being a CEO.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Well, there are plenty of ways that this could happen and protect companies like Gamestop. 

1) A small fee could be sold for a used game to be reactivated.  This could be substantially less as an incentive for Game Stop, but could also be accessed for just regular gamers selling to there friends.

2) Microsoft could provide a service for authorized used game sellers to reactivate or get a new code.  This could be used to help provide rental games to players as well.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
I'm fairly certain this is coming. There've been rumbles about this for months for both Sony and MicroSoft. It's terrible, but they also know that no one's going to shed a tear for Gamestop.

Gamestop could become some authorized reactivation dealer, but that amounts to a significant tax on used games. And taxes like this pass on to the consumer, which would pretty much erode the three dollar margin between a used and new major release that presumably generates Gamestop's profit margin.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Gamers would be hurt significantly if GameStop went out of business. For one, they are pretty much the only source of used games (Best Buy and Target barely carry any), they also carry many niche games that other retailers don't.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Their being the only source of used games would be pretty much negated by the consoles blocking used games.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Most likely there will be a means to let a friend borrow a game.  Perhaps like Barnesand Nobles Lend a book, and that may allow rental shops to still function.  Or MS could just set up a means to download and sample every game before buying.  But I do think this is worse for gamers, but great for the industry....at least on paper.  If MS did this, but required MSRP to be 10 dollars cheaper, that would help cut the blow.  If the industry could get games to 39.99 a game, I believe itcould do better all around.

Well, that ain't happening.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Shyguy:  Yeah I know it isn't happening...and that is one of the biggest hurdles keeping me out of gaming.  It is just too blasted expensive these days.

Now, I personally understand why developers want to get rid of used games...it is a killer on the system.  However, MS and Sony could figure out a way of doing this without relying on the console being online all the time.  Just automatic system authorization via system being online to hooked up to the internet during first play.  Your console is automatically registered for that game and then DRM technology could keep you from playing it on another system, unless you are logged into your Xbox Live account, so you can bring it to a friends house to play.  Then Microsoft could allow you to de-authorize your system for the game and allow you to trade it in...if they so included. 

This could be used as a means to help stop pirating.  Then if your system is not online when you register your Xbox 360, you could be able to authorize your game via your computer with an Xbox Live app. 

This won't be marketed as killing the used game market, but a means to combat piracy...and if the industry is moving this direction they better do it carefully...so that consumers do not get ticked off by the system. 

Also, I do not think this would mean a large increase in used game prices if you had to re-register with MS and Sony to get a new number...solely because the used market games is fairly fixed in that it can never be higher than the new game in print...or at least shouldn't.  And, Game Stop is already charging more than they ever should for used games.   

Now, I am definitely not in favor of this idea...I think it sucks, and is the wrong direction...however I understand why this direction is happening, and I don't fault the developers or console makers at all for looking at this solution.  Unfortunately for games the profits outweigh the negatives.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
What are they even trying to achieve with used game sales ban?

Do they think they can strongarm people who buy games for 5 bucks tops into buying 60$ new? Or people who only rent or trade in "blockbuster" 4 hour movie style games?

Will that move generate new sales at all?
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
What are they even trying to achieve with used game sales ban?

Nothing, they are just greedy bastards that want to squeeze every cent out people to please their stockholders even if that means screwing with the people that buys their products in the first place.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
[size=78%]Nothing, they are just greedy bastards that want to squeeze every cent out people to please their stockholders even if that means screwing with the people that buys their products in the first place.[/size]

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
[size=78%]Nothing, they are just greedy bastards that want to squeeze every cent out people to please their stockholders even if that means screwing with the people that buys their products in the first place.[/size]

Yes because getting money for a product they made as posed to a third party is so fucking greedy.

Spare me. I use gamestop a bit and I'll even admit that  in the londrun it's a worse for devs than waiting for those sweet sweet bomba prices hence what like season passes.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline azeke

• View Profile
I use gamestop a bit and I'll even admit that  in the londrun it's a worse for devs than waiting for those sweet sweet bomba prices hence what like season passes.
Yeah, but it's not like season passes will go anywhere...

Oh wait that was a brainfart... Season passes WILL disappear if there are no used games, right?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nothing, they are just greedy bastards that want to squeeze every cent out people to please their stockholders even if that means screwing with the people that buys their products in the first place.
You just descriped Corporate America and a Capitilistic nation.  How much can they bleed you till its too much.  See Cable and Phone as good examples as well.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
The verge posted an article about how micrpapft is improving voice control for the new xbox.

Microsoft will greatly improve its speech recognition technology inside the next Xbox, The Verge has learned. Sources familiar with Microsoft's Xbox plans have revealed that Durango, the codename for the next Xbox, will support wake on voice, natural language controls, and speech-to-text. The improved capabilities mean that Xbox users will be able to walk into a room and simply say "Xbox on" to wake up the new Xbox.[\quote]

We understand that Microsoft is also investigating scenarios where a Kinect sensor will detect individuals in a room and suggest appropriate multiplayer games after a user queries the Xbox using voice. The support will include natural language detection, similar to Apple's Siri service, that will let users ask things like "what are my friends playing" to receive a friends list. Xbox will also reply back to users with answers to queries, making it an improved search service too. The current Xbox 360 console lacks natural interaction and context, we're told that's a big focus of the new speech recognition in the new Xbox.

Users will also be able to automatically resume video content where it left off simply by asking the new Xbox to play a particular movie. With speech-to-text built-in, it's likely that Microsoft will utilize this support to type out messages using the new Xbox. It's widely expected that Skype will make its Xbox debut on the new console. Microsoft will fully detail its new Xbox at E3 this year, with suggestions from sources that the company may hold a separate event to unveil its new hardware ahead of E3. The new Xbox is expected to be released later this year

**** yeah its hard enough as is too just press the big Xbox on my controller to turn the system on.

Also reading into this I think the always online edge rumor is either bullshit or miscommunication.

The next Xbox will be always on but that doesn't exactly mean it can't be used offline.  Take the apple TV it can't be turned off but runs in a low power mode when not in use.

I do find it odd that the Xbox has pretty good voice controls yet windows 8 and windows phone is lacking in this regard.

Also episode three of microsofts point and click adventure game Adera is out.

They also announced monster love candy for windows 8 which is coming soon.

Microsoft Studios, in collaboration with award-winning game developer Other Ocean Interactive, announce today Monsters Love Candy, a puzzle adventure game with innovative new chain combo swipe and match gameplay. The free-to-play game, with more than 70 levels in 5 world locations, incorporates fast-paced puzzle-matching action with the search and discovery of more than 170 unique and adorable monsters that you can adopt. Feed them colorful candy as you clear the board in under sixty seconds and watch them evolve! The asynchronous multiplayer gameplay allows you to challenge your friends, trading scores and logging achievements on Xbox LIVE.

Zen Studios announced that castlestorm is coming to XBLA and Windows 8 in April.

CastleStorm was originally announced last May and slated for digital release in summer 2012. The title is set in a medieval world overrun with vikings and blends tower defense with 2.5D graphics and a physics-based destruction system.

Players will have access to an arsenal of medieval weapons to defend castles against enemy attack, such as morningstars, apple grenades and even flying sheep. Knights, axe throwers, healers and other fighters on foot can be trained and sent into the field to prevent opponents from overrunning the castle and capturing the player's flag.

Each of the main campaign's 12 different castle environments has its own set of objectives and specific rewards for each. Players can choose to end the level by capturing the enemy flag, destroy their castle or complete certain objectives. The game also includes online multiplayer and co-op modes.

Zen Studios has also added a tower editor with which players can build their own castles. Each construction choice will determine what types of resources and soldiers will be available for combat. Winning battles will level up troops and unlock access to new weapons and soldier classes.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
You just descriped Corporate America and a Capitilistic nation.  How much can they bleed you till its too much.  See Cable and Phone as good examples as well.

The same reason why the videogame industry is going down the **** hole and towards monopolism the same as att and such companies.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
New rumors say that not only will Kinect be much improved in the Xbox 3, but also that it will be shipped with the system and be REQUIRED for the system to even function.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/11/xbox-720-to-reportedly-require-kinect-to-function-support-multitasking

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Always online, locked out used games and mandatory Kinect. Microsoft can't be that stupid, can they? That's the kind of arrogance you saw from Sony leading into the PS3.

J.P. Corbran

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Always online, locked out used games and mandatory Kinect. Microsoft can't be that stupid, can they? That's the kind of arrogance you saw from Sony leading into the PS3.

since Xbox became the new synonym for video game console, I'd say they've reached that point of arrogance like Sony and Nintendo before it. Let them learn their lesson.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
New rumors say that not only will Kinect be much improved in the Xbox 3, but also that it will be shipped with the system and be REQUIRED for the system to even function.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/11/xbox-720-to-reportedly-require-kinect-to-function-support-multitasking
I am kinda excited about new Kinect. If they will be able to eliminate lag and provide more "games" in the vein of Happy Action Theatre -- i'm in.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
see windows 8 desktop...
their 18 attempts at entering the smartphone market
zune
charging to let your xbox use the internet your ALREADY paying for
yes they are that stupid
and dont get me started on sony

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile

Isn't that one of the early rumors?