Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791066 times)

Offline Jabs

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
What i am really afraid of when both MS and Sony present their new consoles with subsidized programs (like get your xbox for 30 bucks, and then pay us 30$ every month for two years), and Nintendo won't do it.

Knowing MS they would only do that in the US then ignore the rest of the world market, they usually ignore anything on that nature that isn't on their home territory.

I don't see Sony doing the subsidy program either, just isn't how they play the game, if they do it would be purely in response to how well it works for MS. Just because such a program could exist doesn't mean it will work most people aren't stupid and won't fall for the cheap setup costs and ignore the total overall price.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
EDGE says the next Xbox will require an always-on internet connection, will block used games and will use Bluray.

Quote from: EDGE
Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox’s recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console’s hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsoft’s extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Yikes. Required always-on Internet connection and blocking used games sound like awful ideas. They're really going to hate that used game policy in Japan, but I suppose that doesn't really matter to Microsoft.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
If it's indeed true, Microsoft wouldn't do it unless they were damn sure Sony would too. And if they're both doing it, that might explain why third parties have been so quick to avoid the Wii U. Gamers would hate this, but publishers would love it, and I can see why they'd much rather support the system that blocks second-hand games.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
That's true. I wonder how consumers are going to respond. From a consumer perspective, there's 2 sides to a trade-in: the person who trades a game and the person who (potentially) buys that traded game. Not being able to trade a game in towards another game greatly affects some people's ability to buy new games. On top of that, what happens when someone buys a game they don't like or one that just sucks? The only recourse was to trade it in and get back as much as possible. So much for that.

And so much for lending a friend your copy. So, yeah, 3rd parties might love this, but it totally sucks for consumers and they're the ones buying the games. I'm curious to see how this would play out. I typically buy my games new and do not normally trade games in, but I like having the option to trade in games and buy trade ins.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
The NeoGAF thread is quick to point out that this is the same thing that's been going on on PC for years, and yet Steam is still hugely popular.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Steam also has those insane sales. If Orbis/Durango follow suit, that would make things a but more interesting.

Also, introducing that policy to an audience that may not be familiar with it is sure to be jarring for some, the-worst-thing-ever for others. While I've ready decided to stick with Wii U for the foreseeable future, I am curious I see what happens here. GameStop probably will not be terribly fond of this. What if they just don't stock those consoles?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
The NeoGAF thread is quick to point out that this is the same thing that's been going on on PC for years, and yet Steam is still hugely popular.
Theirs a flaw in that logic.  I've been a PC gamer since 90 on.  I can tell you right now sharing games between PC users just does not happen like console users.  Its a much more personal experience.  Also Steam has a way to play not connected if you know thats going to happen.

Not to mention the Wonderful sales, the scarce physical availability of computer games, the ease of use, etc.

What if they just don't stock those consoles?
Like new Wii games?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
There goes the ability to rent games from places like Hastings or even Redbox.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
If it's indeed true, Microsoft wouldn't do it unless they were damn sure Sony would too. And if they're both doing it, that might explain why third parties have been so quick to avoid the Wii U. Gamers would hate this, but publishers would love it, and I can see why they'd much rather support the system that blocks second-hand games.
Sony still might decide against it. Because as you said -- Japan. By committing to game activations they will basically give japanese console crown to Wii U.

Also, wouldn't that basically kill Gamestop and the likes? Isn't it in their own best interests just to refuse to carry no second-hand consoles and games? Retailers were quick to bury PSP Go, what will they do now?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:42:02 AM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Not a fan of DRM but I wouldn't mind an always online console.

Really don't see thus happening as its pretty at odds with what Microsoft has been doing on this front in other places.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Could also be the reason Netflix backed out of game rentals after announcing it.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
No. Even though the netflix CEO is/was on the Microsoft board of directors this has nothing to do with that. Netflix has seen more increase in their streaming accounts and want too eventual get rid of their physical stuff. It wouldn't make sense to add a big new physical branch when you can use those resources to get content deal (the recent Disney one) and to develop new exclusive content (lillyhammer, house of cards, arrested development)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
If this is true for Microsoft, I couldn't give less of a ****. Now, if this is true for Sony too, then **** 'em. I'll protest with my money. The only way I could ever see myself giving into the model is if they have Steam-like deals. In retail stores. If not, they can go to hell.

Always online also sucks, considering my internet connection is horrible.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
The lead designer of twisted pixel posted this

https://mobile.twitter.com/modeps/status/299185048610021376

If any one knew what was up with the new Xbox it would be him and he's pretty much calling the rumor bullshit.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
No used games bugs me more in the longterm.  Like years from now when Game X is out of print I can't play it?  **** that!  My NES and Genesis game collections are 100% used, simply because I didn't own those systems when they were current.  As a classic game enthusiast an always-online system is purely a machine of it's time.

And like Oblivion I don't like always-online because internet connections are fickle pieces of ****.  The **** I want to not be able to play my single player otherwise offline game because the internet is down.

If both MS and Sony do this the Wii U gets my money by default.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
No used games bugs me more in the longterm.  Like years from now when Game X is out of print I can't play it?
Digital downloads. You can still play them, just on Sony's and Microsoft's terms. I prefer physical media (and only buy digital if a game is download only like Mighty Switch Force) so obviously I don't like this at all.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
The thing is, there's basically no point to buying physical copies if this were true. You couldn't resell games and could only play them when logged into their servers. The only advantage physical copies would have is not using as much hard drive space.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
No used games bugs me more in the longterm.  Like years from now when Game X is out of print I can't play it?
Digital downloads. You can still play them, just on Sony's and Microsoft's terms. I prefer physical media (and only buy digital if a game is download only like Mighty Switch Force) so obviously I don't like this at all.

Even digital downloads have a fixed life though.  They have to offer the product and while that might work okay for some game that's only been out of print a few years it will not work on something that's like ten years old.  If the PS1 had downloads there is no way that that service would still be available by now.  Plus sometimes games are in limbo regarding rights.  Right now if I want to play Goldeneye I can get a used cartridge, put it in an old N64 and I'm set.  That is the ONLY legal way to play that game.  In an always-online model that game would just be gone for good (except in piracy).

I don't want this happen ONLY if it takes off and becomes the acceptable way to do things.  But I would LOVE it if MS or Sony tried it and their system just BOMBED.  That would poison the concept and discourage others from trying to same thing.  It would probably be better for it to be viewed as a failed idea than one with potential.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Like I said, on their terms. And I dislike it just as much as you do. I'm really glad Nintendo isn't messing that nonsense.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
I'm really glad Nintendo isn't messing that nonsense.
One of the NFC related patents Nintendo has registered had a system that tracks game purchases from retailer. Some kind of gamers card or something. I don't think it outrightly said it's to supress used games sales, but it can potentially used for that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Are they doing it right now? No? Then, it doesn't matter. The second they do is when I reconsider gaming as a hobby that I invest a bunch of money in.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
Are they doing it right now? No? Then, it doesn't matter. The second they do is when I reconsider gaming as a hobby that I invest a bunch of money in.
We'll always have PC

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Isn't Steam being sued in Germany right now for the used game sale policy?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
I think if this happened I would suddenly become a PC gamer.  Maybe grabbing  Wii U out of the bargain bin for Nintendo exclusives.

I never buy a console game without renting it first. (Nintendo first party stuff aside).  Too many times I have bought a game and never been bothered to finish it because I lost interest.  I will also only rent small games I can finish in a weekend.  I'm not going to pay full retail price for a new game that I can finish in a casual weekend.