Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791066 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Figured you would pull out Toy Soldiers. It is an amusing enough of a game, besides getting a really broken PC release that killed it. It was so broken sound didn't work right which meant the game ran at 10% speed and sounded like a crying baby seal getting club to death from the tail up with the fix being turning off DX sound. It didn't properly support the standard range of resolutions on the PC like 1920x1080, hell it didn't go higher than 8xx.

One of the upgrades to the flame thrower converts it to a chemical weapon, so yeah, it promotes human rights violations and war crimes on toys. They die awfully human looking though.

There are plenty of other ways you can interpret the rules so it would ban almost any game. The above is is just the first one that came to mind. Use your imagination and you can find quite a few more. You don't even have to be that creative about it.

That's unfortunate I've only played the xbox versions and the windows 8 version of  cold war and never had any problems. Sucks when developers screw up ports of games.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
or give the consumers a nice unified experience since more people are likely to use windows store than say steam (the average user) and no one gives a flying **** about linux on a consumer level. Also while it is part apple evny, it should be noted that apple makes next to nothing on itunes , or the app store they just get people into using the ecosystem which is what microsoft currently wants and is doing a pretty good job of building.

So far they are walking a fine line between apple and android on how they do things.
Microsoft have been really good at unifying things with DirectX, before that getting PC games to work with your hardware setup wasn't an easy task for both consumer and developer. This time around I think they've tightened things too much.

With their app rules even Photoshop can't be certified. I doubt even Microsoft's own development software Visual Studio will work under those rules.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
To those comparing this to Apple, Microsoft is being far more restrictive in terms of content than Apple is on either the Mac or iOS App Stores. There are plenty of games on Apple's services that wouldn't pass those rules.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
or give the consumers a nice unified experience since more people are likely to use windows store than say steam (the average user) and no one gives a flying **** about linux on a consumer level. Also while it is part apple evny, it should be noted that apple makes next to nothing on itunes , or the app store they just get people into using the ecosystem which is what microsoft currently wants and is doing a pretty good job of building.

So far they are walking a fine line between apple and android on how they do things.
Microsoft have been really good at unifying things with DirectX, before that getting PC games to work with your hardware setup wasn't an easy task for both consumer and developer. This time around I think they've tightened things too much.

I also agree that DirectX (in specific the Hardware portion of the standard) was a Great help to the PC gaming industry.  It could be such a pain back in the day.

With their app rules even Photoshop can't be certified. I doubt even Microsoft's own development software Visual Studio will work under those rules.
I think that's the point.  Apps are suppose to work in the pure Metro experience AKA the Phone Experience.  The heavy lifters are suppose to stay on the desktop side.  Not a good call but one MS seems to be making.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline MrPhishfood

• View Profile
The Verge have reported that Microsoft's new machine will come in 2 SKUs. One that's stripped down and its for TV viewing and casual games (probably drastically reduced specs) and the other would be for the core gaming crowd. Both will have a new Kinect. Due for Christmas 2013.

This would solve a lot of the problems I've been thinking about with their strategy this generation. Microsoft wants everyone to use their Kinect interface with TV and other services but not everyone wants to play AAA games on them and can't justify the cost of such an expensive box.

Having 2 significantly different SKUs would certainly help. However they still have the problem where they are competing with their partnered content providers and to even access them you need to be on XBL Gold.

I read some comments on a few sites and found it funny how people are saying only Sony can save the next generation now. They're going to be so disappointed when they see the hot/cold wands.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
This MicroSoft business only feeds the feeling that I have that the next gen is really going to go off the rails. How easy is it going to be to communicate to consumers that the set-top box has a Kinect 2.0 and plays some, but not all, Xbox video games? 

Combined with the generally lukewarm WiiU reception in the press (and pretty strong confirmation that it's going to be quite far behind the Orbis and Durango techwise), plus the sorry state of the Sony corporation, it's making me question if consoles need to exist. With all this convergence toward media capability (dependent upon third-party subscriptions) and cloud services, I'm thinking it would make more sense for something like the mythical Steambox to take precedence. Required minimum specs on any computer device that run whatever games are on the service. Nintendo and Sony would make their money on the software. MicroSoft would do whatever, maybe push Smartglass features. The WiiU Gamepad would be a competing peripheral. I guess I'm just not seeing what the advantages of proprietary consoles are in this day and age. I am not at all a PC gaming enthusiast, but this console arms race is getting Kafkaesque, or probably more accurately, Seussian.

Offline MrPhishfood

• View Profile
This MicroSoft business only feeds the feeling that I have that the next gen is really going to go off the rails. How easy is it going to be to communicate to consumers that the set-top box has a Kinect 2.0 and plays some, but not all, Xbox video games?
They will definitely have a challenge when it comes to consumer awareness. They can simply remove the disc drive on the basic model and include a hard drive so that you can only download specific games from the online store. I'm sure their commercials will be all razzle dazzle, showing how easy and fun it is to use this magical Kinect device.

They would have to give the 2 SKUs different names like Xbox TV and Xbox Ultimate. Games you would buy at retailers would be labelled as Xbox Ultimate so that consumers don't accidentally buy it for the Xbox TV.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
so it seems the rumors were true about the set-top & gamer sku's.
also about both coming with Kinect. If the Verge is to be believed.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile

Combined with the generally lukewarm WiiU reception in the press (and pretty strong confirmation that it's going to be quite far behind the Orbis and Durango techwise), plus the sorry state of the Sony corporation, it's making me question if consoles need to exist. With all this convergence toward media capability (dependent upon third-party subscriptions) and cloud services, I'm thinking it would make more sense for something like the mythical Steambox to take precedence. Required minimum specs on any computer device that run whatever games are on the service. Nintendo and Sony would make their money on the software. MicroSoft would do whatever, maybe push Smartglass features. The WiiU Gamepad would be a competing peripheral. I guess I'm just not seeing what the advantages of proprietary consoles are in this day and age. I am not at all a PC gaming enthusiast, but this console arms race is getting Kafkaesque, or probably more accurately, Seussian.

You do realize that the Xbox 360 and PS3 are essentially all-in-one media boxes now, right? Constant software updates and deals with media partners have led to this new era. The PS3 even has the advantage of Blu-ray, making it more up to date than the Xbox 360. There are no more "dedicated game systems" (that are only built for gaming), unless you count handhelds. Even the Wii U is becoming a streaming media box, with it's Nintendo TVii app.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 11:36:55 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'm aware, and the news consoles are taking it even further. At this point it's more like a utility situation: how are consumers actually benefiting from the competition? It's converging toward different ways to deliver you the same water.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
The Verge have reported that Microsoft's new machine will come in 2 SKUs. One that's stripped down and its for TV viewing and casual games (probably drastically reduced specs) and the other would be for the core gaming crowd. Both will have a new Kinect. Due for Christmas 2013.

This would solve a lot of the problems I've been thinking about with their strategy this generation. Microsoft wants everyone to use their Kinect interface with TV and other services but not everyone wants to play AAA games on them and can't justify the cost of such an expensive box.

Having 2 significantly different SKUs would certainly help. However they still have the problem where they are competing with their partnered content providers and to even access them you need to be on XBL Gold.

I read some comments on a few sites and found it funny how people are saying only Sony can save the next generation now. They're going to be so disappointed when they see the hot/cold wands.

Joystiq reported on something similar a few months ago. They claimed the stripped down console would be a redesign of the current Xbox 360, not a next-gen machine.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
So Microsoft Vancouver is changing its name to Black Tusk Studios.

http://www.blacktuskstudios.com/

Black Tusk Studios is dedicated to creating immersive, AAA games that push the limits of Microsoft's entertainment platforms. Located in downtown Vancouver, Canada, we are part of the Microsoft Studios family, and weare growing. Do you have what it takes to keep pace with the best talent in the industry? Do you want to help define Microsoft'snext big entertainment franchise? Let's talk.

Black Tusk has assembled a team of seasoned game industry veterans who are united in their passion to create emotionally engaging AAA gaming experiences.

We hire the best talent from Vancouver and around the world, and our global recruiting effort is reflected in the diversity of cultures and backgrounds on our team.

Our people are talented, creative, fun-loving professionals with a desire to be part of something big. Something really big.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/11/29/microsoft-opens-new-video-game-studio-in-vancouver/

While console video game companies have been shutting their Vancouver studios, a handful of Microsoft game developers have been quietly building a presence in Yaletown.

Today they are taking the wraps off the venture, which started with five people and grew to 55 before getting the official go-ahead from Microsoft’s head office to launch as a separate game studio, Black Tusk.

“It is a good news story for us,” said studio manager Mike Crump. “We’re excited about the opportunities here, we think Vancouver has a bright future.”

The launch should also spell good news forjobseekers in Vancouver’s hard-hit console video gamesector. Thedivision’s website, blacktuskstudios.com, includes job listings for everyone from engineers to designers, and Black Tusk plans to double its numbers within a year.

“We are actively recruiting,” said Crump, who added the studio has outgrown its Cambie Street location and will be moving to take over two floors on Beatty Street, where Microsoft’s Big Park studio is located.

Black Tusk had its start when Crump and four others, all alumni of Electronic Arts, took over a floor at Microsoft’s Cambie Street location about a year ago and started planning for the studio, which will focus on the Xbox 360 video game console.

Studio staff have an average of 12 years experience in triple-A games, the industry’s equivalent of Hollywood summer blockbuster movies — “big games, big teams, big budgets, long timelines,” said Crump.

“What that means is we are working on Microsoft’s next big entertainment franchise,” he said. “We’re not working on an existing franchise, we’re looking to build the next Halo here in Vancouver, for example, which is really exciting. We are building something from the ground up.”

The launch comes only a few months after Microsoft halted development of two games — Microsoft Flight and Project Columbia, a move that came shortly after announcements by Rockstar Vancouver and Radical Entertainment that they were closing their Vancouver operations.

Crump said the Black Tusk group wanted to operate in stealth mode until it recruited enough talent to reach critical mass and got the go-ahead from Microsoft head office.

“We have been officially green-lit by Microsoft executives to go ahead with the project that we’re on,” he said.

“That’s the way game development works — it’s just like making a movie, you go through pitching and concepting and then at some point you have a very large meeting with the executive team and present your full pitch with the business plan and you get the green light, so that’s happened for us.”

Crump said Vancouver’s proximity to Microsoft’s Redmond, Washington, headquarters is a factor but it is not the only attraction.

“First and foremost is its heritage, there is a history of gaming in Vancouver that goes back decades and what that has left us with is a pool of talent that is really unparalleled, I think, most anywhere in the world,” said Crump.

“And the last piece of it is — the reason we really believe in Vancouver is it’s such a great place to live that when we are going out and we’re recruiting, whether it’s California or Frankfurt, it is never a tough sell to convince somebody to move to Vancouver.”

Named for the iconic pinnacle between Vancouver and Whistler that attracts hikers, the studio is opening at a time when several video game companies have headed east to take advantage of more favourable tax credits in Toronto.

While Crump said he can’t comment on what other companies in the sector are doing, he noted that Microsoft has all its Canadian gaming studios in B.C.

“Tax credits, for sure, are a challenge here in Vancouver,” said Crump. “But Microsoft’s commitment to Vancouver goes way beyond tax credits.

“Microsoft has opened two studios in the Vancouver/­ Victoria region this year and now there is investment in Black Tusk here in Vancouver, so there is a deep commitment to Vancouver and a belief in the potential of this region, what it can be in this space.”

So this is the dead space esque fps that was rumored when Microsoft studios Vancouver was first announced late last year.  Now I'm wondering if microsoft other new studios (Victoria,london) will get proper names.

The game is also rumored to be working on Unreal 4 for the development of the game.

This is probably the 2nd next gen game microsoft is working on. It was rumored a while back that Ryse the kinect game being developed by crytek budapest was going through some changes hence why it wasn't shown at this year's e3. Among the changes were the development were transfered from budapest to Crytek's main team. Also it was rumored late last year that the game was taken away from being so dependent on kinect and being moved to next generation as well.

On this note I have one serious question for you guys after seeing this news on neogaf. Why do people seem to hate on microsoft? On gaf all I hear is people talking about wanting new ip's and when microsoft announces they are putting massive money toward new ip people complain that its a space fps and microsoft keeps making shooters.

Yet when you look at the number of games released Sony has actually released more shooters than microsoft have this generation. The only problem is that most of them have flopped in comparsion to the xbox being popular with Halo and Call of Duty.

Even at E3 microsoft showed off three new ip (matter, ascend new gods, and lococycle) yet people seem to discount XBLA as not counting toward anything.

I'm kind of hoping that Ryse is moved to being a third person  game similar to the orginal pitch of that high voltage software gladiator game. The weird kinect first person mode could be an optional mode.

Also Rare seems to be working on cloud based kinect game.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/48015/rare-making-cloud-based-kinect-game-working-with-extremely-early-prototype-hardware/

Will probably be related to some sort of cross platfrom console/windows 8/windows phone game. Really hoping they decide to go back to Perfect Dark and a make a dues ex style game in the vein of the orginal and a few of the levels from PD zero.  That or another Kameo or Banjo game or at least something in the mascot platformer style of game.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
I hate on Microsoft because I was an OS/2 user and I'm still angry about how Microsoft screwed IBM.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
I hate on Microsoft because I was an OS/2 user and I'm still angry about how Microsoft screwed IBM.

I meant on the gaming front.

WHAT did microsoft do to IBM and what's os/2? I thought O2 was a britsh telephone carrier.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile

I meant on the gaming front.

WHAT did microsoft do to IBM and what's os/2? I thought O2 was a britsh telephone carrier.
You might now OS/2 was an operating system that IBM and Microsoft were working on together.  With a lot of the Co-Developed tech being a core part of the Windows NT Kernel which is the base of Windows NT - XP.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Microsoft didn't screw IBM. Microsoft stopped supporting OS/2 after Windows became a huge success in 1990 (because Windows was bundled with PCs while OS/2 was an expensive software package. OS/2 wasn't retired until 2006 though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
So backing out of their partnership didn't screw IBM? Do you know the things Microsoft did with the Win32s code? changing and faking the memory addressing to break compatibility? Do you know how Microsoft lifted the stable components of OS/2 to build their NT line, continuing into Windows 2000 then Windows XP?

Also Microsoft leveraged the bundling of Windows with exclusivity deals to squeeze competitors, like OS/2, out of the market. Their browser debacle wasn't the only antitrust behavior they exercised

Not too mention borrowing things from OS/2 like the taskbar, the right click context menu, and the tabbed properties window.

Let's not even mention the shady licensing deal they pulled with the HPFS file system, later ripping it off for the NTFS file system.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Wow, bitter much? IBM sucked at business and failed to market a overpriced POS. And you are factually wrong, stuff like the taskbar was not taken from OS/2, Microsoft developed it as part of Project Cairo and introduced it as part of Windows 95.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
Lotus developed the first taskbar for use with their Smartsuite, and it was implemented first in OS/2. Lotus was owned by IBM at the time.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Uh-huh, if that is what you want to believe. It's not true, but tell yourself that if it makes you feel better. Just face it, IBM failed because of their lack of business sense and inability to keep up with what consumers want.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
...What the? I was there in the early 90's working on computers. The Smartsuite with the taskbar came out before Windows 95. Microsoft followed suit.

Some of us get our facts from real life, not Wikipedia.

edit: you were what, NINE years old when Windows 95 came out? Don't speak of things you know little about.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:41:32 AM by ShyGuy »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
I'm fairly sure the task bar was their in Windows 95 which was before OS/2.  Particularly because Lotus had done it.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
Windows 95 was not before OS/2. GUI based OS/2 2.0 came out in 1992 I think. OS/2 Warp 3.0 came out in 1994.

Look at the screenshots of early alpha Windows 95 in the summer of 1993 vs the fall of 1993. That's when they added the task bar. Before that is was just a command line with hot buttons.

You used to be able to read more details about this online but it was largely in newsgroups not web pages.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
So what happened to IBM's "OS/2" thing? Did it get transferred to Lenovo when they bought IBM's computer division?

Speaking of Lenovo, are their computers any good? I currently have a Samsung QX411, and I might be upgrading to a new laptop in a few years. I'm torn between ASUS, Lenovo, Toshiba, or Samsung. I've heard good things about ASUS and Lenovo, but those brands aren't as well known as HP, Samsung, Toshiba, etc.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:14:55 AM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
i have a lenovo, suggested by a friend that's much more computer savvy than I am. I've never has any issues with it but I'm not able to say much more than that
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.