Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791004 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Microsoft's not going to stop charging for Xbox Live Gold until charging for it costs them more than it makes them. If Sony or Nintendo take a real chunk out of their online market they'll be forced to reconsider it; if Xbox Live is still the most popular console online service they're going to keep charging for it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
I really really hope Sony develops their own version of SmartGlass for the PS3. It would make typing messages so much easier than using the clunky "controller and software keyboard" combo. Microsoft is really onto something with their integration of tablets with game consoles.

And no, the "PS3 and Vita" combo doesn't count. Microsoft did things the smart way by making SmartGlass an app for any tablet and smartphone.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
I think they will wait to see if anybody even cares about SmartGlass, I personally thing it will be niche at best.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
They are already testing the functionality with the Vita, but it's a more costly endeavor than making a simple mobile app. Making a mobile app is a more practical, and low-risk solution.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
They have it as a feature of the PS Vita, but they didn't make it for that purpose. There doesn't seem to be much interest in general in SmartGlass among people who aren't technophiles.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
But it's basically the same tech as the Wii U, except the SmartGlass app can be used on any tablet and smartphone. It may be niche, simply because it's not an essential part of the Xbox "ecosystem", but it is a nice feature to have.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
The only reason SmartGlass is appealing is that for whatever reason Microsoft gave the 360 an interface designed for a touch screen. The XMB, while not exactly pretty, is a lot easier and quicker to navigate with the standard controller.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
So the Penultimate issue of xbox world magazine is all about the next-gen xbox. Its an 8 page article of mostly old news and some speculation. Don't have the article but a summary on neoowin had these bulletpoints.

Next xbox code named durango
-uses Blu-ray discs
-introduces second generation kinect
-directional audio
-TV inputs as well as outputs
-It will just be called Xbox.
-hardware dev kits come with four core chipset (16 logical cores)
-8GBs of Ram (probably 4GB for the retail release)
-Unless something changes expect a reveal long before E3 2013.
-augmented reality glasses similar to google glass to be introduced later in the consoles life.

Xbox world also made a mockup of the console which looks like an apple TV on steroids.

Not sure if they would use Vapor mg on the console. While I would love as it would mean a non plastic console but I'm not sure how much more that would add to the price of the console.  Though I could be wrong since Vapor Mg is rumored to be used in microsofts surface branded phone.

The notice of a microsoft branded drive is something I'm not to hot on myself.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
On the Vapor mag the Surface phone will sell for vastly more then a console would, talking "$700" vs People bitch'n at $350, and would be smaller than even the surface so the would be practical.  For a console that will just sit I don't think it be called for for the price.

That mockup looks nice but way to generic to be it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Yeah the price using Vapor mg in the console would be a disadvantge. But I would love to have a non plastic console for once. Honestly I just want the console to be well designed similar to the wii or Xbox Slim.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
The KARAOKE Channel, a property of Stingray Music USA Inc., an affiliate of the innovative Montreal-based provider of multi-platform music services Stingray Digital Group Inc., today announced their collaboration on “Karaoke” for Xbox 360, an exciting new entertainment service that will be available for download through Xbox LIVE in time for the holidays.

“As the owner of the world’s largest licensed karaoke library and karaoke service on TV and Internet, the KARAOKE Channel will combine its expertise with the advanced capabilities of the Xbox 360 platform from Microsoft to develop the best in-home karaoke experience ever,” says Eric Boyko, President and CEO of Stingray Digital Group Inc. “Now anyone can access our vast library and sing in a fun and interactive way right from their Xbox.”

“Karaoke” for Xbox 360 is simply fun

“Karaoke” for Xbox 360 is easy to launch and makes it easy to sing. Karaoke fans will sing along to scrolling lyrics on screen while their avatar performs the song on stage with a full complement of stage props, backup band and an adoring audience. The more songs are sung and poses struck, the more moola, props, fans and fun are earned as achievements are awarded.
 Songs don’t require downloading; they play immediately via streaming for a robust karaoke experience. To keep the party going, songs can be queued via the top navigation through search, browse or SmartGlass integration, which connects a tablet or mobile device to the Xbox 360 console. Songs can be added to Favorites so they’re super-easy to find, or can be found through the History list to sing them over and over again. Other options include key change and a lead vocal track to help sing less familiar songs. To access all of the features, an Xbox 360 Headset, Xbox Wireless Microphone or an Xbox 360 compatible USB microphone is required.

Available on Xbox LIVE in time for the holidays, “Karaoke” for Xbox 360 will have a selection of free sample songs that will change frequently. Full access to the entire library is available for blocks of 2, 6 or 24 hours by redeeming Microsoft Points. Songs are added to the library on a regular basis as they are produced and licensed, giving everyone a great reason to launch The KARAOKE Channel on Xbox LIVE to discover new songs to sing.

Looks similar to the joysound stuff the wii u is doing in japan.  Makes me wonder why nintendo opted for sing party instead of something similar to this.

Also ESPN for xbox has expaneded
Today, ESPN on Xbox reloaded with a significant update. The app now includes ALL of ESPN’s live network programming through WatchESPN including ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, Buzzer Beater and Goal Line. Xbox LIVE Gold subscribers can watch all their favorite sports and shows live, including SportsCenter, SportsNation and the Mike and Mike Show, as well as ESPN’s coverage of the NFL, including Monday Night Football, MLB and the NBA.

ESPN on Xbox, now powered by WatchESPN, offers the following features:

My Sports. ESPN on Xbox allows you to choose your favorite sports and teams and designate these channels as “My Sports,” so you can jump directly into the games and content you care most about. ESPN on Xbox will automatically provide you with a personalized daily feed of live events, news and highlights based on “My Sports,” catching you up on only the teams and sports you care most about. Mini Guide. The mini-guide gives you a preview and quick access to all the sports content you care about right at the bottom of the screen. This fall it is all about football, and now the best fans don’t have to miss anything. Is another game tied up late in the fourth quarter? Instantly switch to that game. Halftime? Play the earlier highlights. Split Screen. Because true sports fans want to watch more than one game at a time, ESPN on Xbox has a split screen, allowing you to watch two events at once. Watch live events on both screens or a live event on one while you catch up on news and highlights on the other. You can even control both screens independently, pausing and rewinding each separately so you never miss a second of the action. Gesture Control and Voice Control with Kinect for Xbox 360. Focus on your team instead of looking for the remote. Navigate through the content guide, skip to the next highlight, or play, pause, and rewind that big play… all with the wave of your hand or the sound of your voice. Reminders. Too many big games to keep track of in your head? Not to worry – ESPN on Xbox now lets you tag games and set reminders so you never miss a moment. Interactive ESPN BottomLine. The ESPN BottomLine keeps you in the know with breaking news and score updates from around the world of sports. Xbox has added interactive functionality that raises the bar for fans everywhere, with live alerts and the capability to jump to different sports or skip to the next story.

Also, beginning in December, Xbox SmartGlass experiences for ESPN, NBA and SportsPicks will be available on the platform. I’ll share details once I have them.

I'm alittle miffed that to use most of the functions you have to be a cable/internet suscriber. Att which does my internet isn't on the list which sucks, gladly most of what I use the espn3 content to watch soccer is still free to use which is good by me. I've heard that those with just internet have stilll been able to get into espn which would help with freeing up the cord.

Microsoft is really making their console the best and well rounded out of the three.  I could easily see them partnering up with content providers and skipping the cable companies to intergrate it into xbox live.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:12:49 PM by shingi_70 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Well, WatchESPN the mobile app requires a cable subscription, so this makes sense. It's nice to have that option on the Xbox, but I can't really see myself watching regular ESPN unless my cable box is acting up which it is wont to do. Nice add especially for people who can borrow others accounts or want to watch Monday Night Football in HD while in a dorm setting or something.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
I'm going to make a prediction: If the Next Xbox gets released in holiday 2013, Xbox 360 will still get a large amount of software support throught holiday 2014.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Shyguy:  I disagree...it doesn't really do Microsoft any good to waste resources making new games...unless MS tries to do something where they downscale/upscale games for a year.  Like you can buy this game on the new Xbox and it looks like this...or on the Xbox 360. 

Still, I feel Microsoft wouldn't do that either.  I do feel that the new system will be out holiday of next year though. 

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Probably from third parties and Microsoft downloadable first party content. As far as retail I can see Microsoft going straight to 720 instead.
But there there are going to be quite a few games that will probably be cross platform?
Rainbow six the patriots
Project Destiny
brothers in arms furious 4
Watchdogs
Star Wars 1313
Also a few screens from the leaked  document from a while back

343 industries is also hiring for someone to work on MMO elements
http://www.gamespot.com/news/halo-team-seeking-devs-with-mmo-experience-6400414
Microsoft has put out a call for staffers with massively multiplayer online game development experience to join 343 Industries to work on future Halo projects. Two job listings at 343 Industries were posted yesterday, both for software development engineers who will work on "building the next generation of backend services to power Halo 4 and our new game saga."

These job listings follow additional requisitions posted last week that indicated 343 Industries was staffing up for mystery "incubation projects." A Microsoft representative was not immediately available for comment.

If Microsoft is building a Halo MMO, it will not be the first time the company has done so. The Microsoft-owned (and now defunct) Ensemble Studios spent three years on a Halo MMORPG codenamed Titan that reportedly held a $90 million budget before it was canceled in 2007.
Also I was poking around the Microsoft Career's site around the xbox section I found a few things.

Rare is now developing Windows Phone/Windows 8 games as well s consoles games. There are a few job postings for 2D UI artist  and 3D artist for Windows 8 and windows phone 8 development. Also they are hiring for a gameplay lead, gameplay engineer, audio engineer, and a few producer and manger postions for a console game among other things.
The Kinect Sports team just launched Kinect sports gems today which are very small downloadable xbla Kinect games. There's a good chance that this smaller team is being transferred to work on Kinect and Windows 8/phone content (as well as avatars). While the rest of team are transferred to the next gen products that were shown hinted at a while back.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/357683/rare-working-on-next-gen-free-to-play/
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/348065/rare-working-on-multiple-xbox-720-games-possibly-including-an-fps/

Lines up pretty well with what I said above one team working on free to play windows 8/phone games (one of microsofts new windows 8 games is free to play and the new London studio is also deving this game), another working on probably Kinect Sports 3, and a third and possibly fourth working on more kameo/Banjo/perfect dark style stuff.  (some new IP and maybe a comeback to Jet force)
 Good Science studios seems to be turned into a backend studio for the rest of Microsoft's services.  They did Kinect Adventures so I assumed they would be deving on Kinect but with BigPark co-developing Kinect stuff with rare (they did a lot of heavy lifting on Kinect sports 2 as well as the Joyride kart games)
Microsoft also has a new studio on the bracket called Microsoft core publishing which seems to based in Redmond and sole purpose is too work with external developers on core titles. Goes in line with a linkedn post saying Microsoft had put a nice sum of money for getting third party exclusives for the next generation. (amond which are stuff like Alan Wake, Ryse, and gears of War)

Soho productions behind the interactive TV games looks to be starting work on their next project (aside from supporting content for current TV games) as they are staffing up on artist, research leads, and Television Producers (lol).
Microsoft Studios Vancouver seems t be getting pretty serious in development of their project which is rumored to be a sci-fi horror game that's supposed to be the launch title of the 720. The studios is headed by a former crytek guy and they are currently hiring for online engineers, as well a lot of cinematic, physics, Rendering guys, as well as some artist. game must be far along .

Lionhead is looking for some basic positions of art director, programmers and tech directors.  the positions are too be a key contributor of an unannounced title. Its probably going to be the MMO like title that was rumored a while back.  iirc lionhead had some layoffs after Fable: the journey hit the market, with them probably working on this title for a while and these job postings I wouldn't be surprised if the layoffs were to get rid of guys who had that Molyneux mindset. Get more new guys in control of the studios instead of people who over hype ****

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/lionhead-developing-next-xbox-mmo/096144?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+mcvuk/stream+(MCV:+Home+Stream)
343 also seems to be hiring for some environment and multiplayer guys. Probably for the next season of Spartan ops.

Turn 10 really isn't hiring expect two that went up today one of which wanting help in developing the next version of forza. Makes sense as they wouldn't be hiring as this doesn't seem to be the type of studio to do massive hiring especially when Playground games developers of Forza Horizon are probably going to be working on the title as well. (really surprised Microsoft hasn't brought playground games to COD its racing games)

Three of the studios  MS Victoria, Bigpark, and Skybox sports aren't hiring. Skybox I think makes all of the sports apps on xbox and doesn't do any game development. Victoria was just founded this year and its been said that the game will be in development for a few years and the staff is expected to hit 150 around this time. Studio seems to have former EA and nextgen games staff among other things. Bigpark shares the same building as Vancouver but while not hiring are working on another title.

alittle surpising is that Prees Play and Twisted Pixel while being Microsoft studios aren't on the page to view content.

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
I would like to point out that developing games for Windows 8 has some restrictions concerning content:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694083.aspx

Notable rules:
  • 5.2 Your app must not contain content that advocates discrimination, hatred, or violence based on membership in a particular racial, ethnic, national, linguistic, religious, or other social group, or based on a person’s gender, age, or sexual orientation
  • 5.3 Your app must not contain content or functionality that encourages, facilitates or glamorizes illegal activity
  • 5.4 Your app must not contain or display content that a reasonable person would consider to be obscene
  • 5.5 Your app must not contain content that is defamatory, libelous or slanderous, or threatening
  • 5.6 Your app must not contain content that encourages, facilitates or glamorizes excessive or irresponsible use of alcohol or tobacco products, drugs or weapons
  • 5.7 Your app must not contain content that encourages, facilitates or glamorizes extreme or gratuitous violence, human rights violations, or the creation or use of weapons against a person or animal in the real world
  • 5.8 Your app must not contain excessive or gratuitous profanity

Now I don't think blood, gore and violence is an absolute must in games but it has its place and its uses. The real kicker is the rules concerning functionality:

3.8 Your app must meet the basic performance criteria on a low-power computer
  • The app must launch in 5 seconds or less
  • The app must suspend in 2 seconds or less
3.6 Your app must use the mechanisms provided by the system for those features that have them
  • Your app must support a snapped layout. In landscape orientation, your app’s functions must be fully accessible when the app’s display size is 1024 x 768. Your app must remain functional when the customer snaps and unsnaps the app.
  • Your app must neither programmatically close nor offer UI affordances to close it. Windows 8 Process Lifetime Management closes Windows Store apps automatically.
  • Your app must suspend and resume to a reasonable state.
  • If your app implements a bottom app bar, that bar must show up with a bottom-up swipe.
  • If your app implements a top app bar, that bar must show up with a top-down swipe.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 05:44:41 AM by MrPhishfood »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
So no real games then? It's pretty much the MS version of iOSing windows. Virtually all games that is not as sanitised as Tetris has some level of conflict that can be construed to break any of the 5.X rule set. Even Tetris has a "Bombliss" version.

What a joke on MS's part.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Well Toy soldiers is in the windows store

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-us/app/toy-soldiers-cold-war-touch/5c6a1046-5c2c-4824-89f7-bfcc3338afc3

as well as the Harvest and Blazblue among other games are slated for windows 8 releases. That and i'm pretty sure this rule isn't defiant because epic has shown interest in getting unreal onto the metro environment (think they may already have) and During the first build keynote microsoft showed off a windows store version of shadowgun.

also what's wrong with the rest of the rules. Its guidelines and certain things an app must be able to do to get into the store. It provides a robust and quality user experience across the board like ios and not a nasty wild west type of deal with horrible support like android.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
So no GTA in the Windows Store... Microsoft didn't have any of these restrictions with Xbox games. What happened to giving 3rd-party developers freedom to make the games they want?

It looks like I'll be sticking with Sony from now on.

Microsoft is the new Nintendo confirmed.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 12:24:03 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
So if Windows 8 games have all these restrictions, what are computer games going to be made for?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
So if Windows 8 games have all these restrictions, what are computer games going to be made for?

Microsoft doesn't need to be this controlling like Apple (and Nintendo of the 1980's and 1990's). They managed to win over 3rd-party developers with the Xbox 360, and now they'll piss them off with these Windows Store restrictions.

Let Apple be the controlling one. Microsoft should do their own thing.

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
Modern PC games take up a lot of resources and they need to take up a sizable portion of the screen to be functional. Think back to all the high end PC games you've played, can you launch in 5 seconds and suspend in 2? Would it still be playable at a very narrow landscape resolution? Can it all be done on a low-powered computer?

Team Fortress 2, The Witcher 1 & 2, League of Legends. The list of all the games that just won't work with these rules is incredibly long. Its no wonder Gabe Newell called it a catastrophe and started working on linux. I can definitely see it stifling innovation.

This is all down to Apple envy. They saw the money Apple were making in the home computer and phone market using their own closed system and wanted to make their own.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile

The Xbox.

Also The Verge is reporting about an microsoft set top box releasing next year alongside of the 720.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/21/3674802/xbox-tv-set-top-box-casual-gaming-streaming-2013

Microsoft is building an Xbox set-top box. Multiple sources familiar with Redmond's plans have confirmed toThe Vergethat the company plans to introduce a low-cost alternative to its Xbox console, designed to provide access to core entertainment services. The move will allow Microsoft to further increase its presence in the living room, providing consumers with a choice between a set-top box or a full next-generation Xbox console.We're told that the set-top box is part of a two-SKU strategy for Microsoft's next-generation of Xbox hardware that will be unveiled in 2013, with a release date ahead of the holiday shopping season. The device will run on the core components of Windows 8 and support casual gaming titles rather than full Xbox games typically found on a dedicated console. Although hardware specifications aren't fully locked down, we understand Microsoft will use a chipset to enable an "always on" device that boots quickly and resumes to provide near-instant access to TV and entertainment services.
Microsoft's Xbox set-top box work is said to be part of a broader effort to ensure its core architecture for the next-generation Xbox is scalable enough to be put together to runon a number of devices. We understand that the company could opt to combine its core system for the next Xbox with a phone stack to deliver a phone capable of running a full version of Microsoft's Xbox Live services. It has also investigated providing this functionality to TV OEMs, who could include the core services as part of a licensed Xbox television set.
I remember hearing speculation about this kind of model as defense against the Wii U. The break down would be similar tp this
Xbox Set top box
-All of the current video options of the 360 plus what ever new ones the next platform will have.
-Kinect support probably using kinect 1.0 from the xbox 360
-Supports IE, smartglass, and integration with the rest of the microsoft ecosystem.-Will be capable of playing XBLA games and maybe on demand 360 games.-will be priced from $99-$200 based on how much memory is there Durango (next Gen xbox)The Full Fledged xbox successor that most rumors have been about.Having a set top for around $99-$100 dollars allows Microsoft to more quickly phase out the current xbox 360 and that could threaten the Wii U. The Durango was always going to have the problem of most likely being more expensive than the Wii U and most people are comfortable with their 360s (on the casual side) this allows them to still put out a monster of the system that outclasses the Wii U on the games front while releasing a cheaper box that will still be better than the wii U on the media front. With this effective replacing the xbox 360 and if Microsoft is able to get a good adoption on the set top xbox (with a modest as expected one on the Durango) Microsoft could force developers to quit deving for the 360 instead focusing on the 720 for high end and the set top xbox on the mid range downloadable games. seeing as wii u will probably get the 360/ps# versions of games that will be cross generation with durango and Obris they could prematurly cut off a bit of nintendo"s third party support.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Figured you would pull out Toy Soldiers. It is an amusing enough of a game, besides getting a really broken PC release that killed it. It was so broken sound didn't work right which meant the game ran at 10% speed and sounded like a crying baby seal getting club to death from the tail up with the fix being turning off DX sound. It didn't properly support the standard range of resolutions on the PC like 1920x1080, hell it didn't go higher than 8xx.

One of the upgrades to the flame thrower converts it to a chemical weapon, so yeah, it promotes human rights violations and war crimes on toys. They die awfully human looking though.

There are plenty of other ways you can interpret the rules so it would ban almost any game. The above is is just the first one that came to mind. Use your imagination and you can find quite a few more. You don't even have to be that creative about it.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Modern PC games take up a lot of resources and they need to take up a sizable portion of the screen to be functional. Think back to all the high end PC games you've played, can you launch in 5 seconds and suspend in 2? Would it still be playable at a very narrow landscape resolution? Can it all be done on a low-powered computer?

Team Fortress 2, The Witcher 1 & 2, League of Legends. The list of all the games that just won't work with these rules is incredibly long. Its no wonder Gabe Newell called it a catastrophe and started working on linux. I can definitely see it stifling innovation.

This is all down to Apple envy. They saw the money Apple were making in the home computer and phone market using their own closed system and wanted to make their own.

or give the consumers a nice unified experience since more people are likely to use windows store than say steam (the average user) and no one gives a flying **** about linux on a consumer level. Also while it is part apple evny, it should be noted that apple makes next to nothing on itunes , or the app store they just get people into using the ecosystem which is what microsoft currently wants and is doing a pretty good job of building.

So far they are walking a fine line between apple and android on how they do things.