Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791006 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
So do you guys think Microsoft will integrate Kinect and SmartGlass together in some way?
Yes, they've shown that off since before it was called SmartGlass and was going to be anything other then a Kinect Game Addition.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
I've always wanted a game like Forza or Gran Turismo on a Nintendo platform. Especially now, as I think the GamePad could have a lot of neat applications for one.
Isn't Project Cars that game? I assume it is still a thing.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I've always wanted a game like Forza or Gran Turismo on a Nintendo platform. Especially now, as I think the GamePad could have a lot of neat applications for one.

It may be, but I don't think they've gone too much in depth into what kind of modes and features it's going to have beyond just the racing.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile

It may be, but I don't think they've gone too much in depth into what kind of modes and features it's going to have beyond just the racing.

But the graphics and realism more than make up for the amount of modes it may or may not have. Forza is awesome too. I can't believe there are now 5 Forza games in 10 years, when it took Sony twice that long to make 5 GT games (not counting the PSP version). Why did GT5 take so long to make again?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Why did GT5 take so long to make again?

I chalk that up to Polyphony Digital's search for perfection. Though that didn't help Gran Turismo 5 from getting a mixed reception.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
But if Microsoft and Turn 10 Studios can churn out 5 Forza games (6 if you count Horizon) in less than that time, then surely Polyphony can speed up their development as well? It really shouldn't take a team of hundreds 4 years to make a driving game, especially since GT5 Prologue was released on disc 2 full years before the final version of the game. They didn't need to release an incomplete game (GT5 Prologue) on disc when we have downloadable demos for that.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 10:54:36 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
So microsoft is reportedly working on a surface branded phone next year. Its supposed to be the equilvent of what the nexus line is too android, and what the surface tablet is too windows 8.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204712904578093680117917590.html

Now its reported that microsoft is also testing a xbox surface 7 inch tablet.

Its supposed to be a 7inch tablet that's supposed to have a focus on gaming and media and running a version of the windows RT tablet.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/11/6/3608432/xbox-surface-xbox-tablet-7-inch

This was also rumored around back with this somwhat dubious spec sheet.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
I didn't know 22.2 Surround sound was a thing but I guess it is.  Though why would you use 800mhz memory if your putting 12 cores worth of processor in there and a 10k Disk Drive?  Seems like you opt to just go ahead with the faster memory.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
I think I really want to see crazy arcade open world racing game. 

I think it would be nice to have a racing game, focused on getting from point A to point B as fast as you can...and not about laps or anything. 

The skill comes from 2 things.  Driving well, and mapping out your path well.  Mapping out the path can be done one of two ways... first by actually using a Map (for Wii U on the screen...and taking to time to look and Map out a route to take...Or you can try your luck at racing without a route and reading the map on the fly.

This could be a fun game like Crazy Taxi...and you have a large city and you must really know how to go.  Add in real time traffic that changes and you have a compelling game.

That's what this is:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m24BQwYLcng[/youtube]

As you can see in the video, they even have a mode where you have to a hit a checkpoint to know where you are going next. I think that makes it even more intense.

I wonder when it comes out because it is looking like the Game of the Year for me.

EDIT: It's already out? Time to go get it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:08:45 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
So microsoft is reportedly working on a surface branded phone next year. Its supposed to be the equilvent of what the nexus line is too android, and what the surface tablet is too windows 8.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204712904578093680117917590.html

Now its reported that microsoft is also testing a xbox surface 7 inch tablet.

Its supposed to be a 7inch tablet that's supposed to have a focus on gaming and media and running a version of the windows RT tablet.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/11/6/3608432/xbox-surface-xbox-tablet-7-inch

This was also rumored around back with this somwhat dubious spec sheet.

Yeah that Xbox handheld/tablet hybrid is going to be insanely expensive (think iPad pricing). It's about time Microsoft made a mobile Xbox device. People have been predicting this ever since the original Xbox launched in 2001.

EDIT: On second glance, this looks more like Microsoft's version of the Wii U. It states "tablet computing device", and "stationary computing device". I'm guessing it will be a mini-console with a tablet as the primary controller (sort of like an Apple TV and Wii U put together).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:11:45 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
I've said this time and time again, Microsoft really needs to beef up their 1st-party portfolio. They did rather well during the early years of the Xbox brand, with games like Conker Live and Reloaded, Jade Empire, Geometry Wars, Hexic HD, Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo, Gears of War [as publisher], etc.

But ever since they released the Kinect, Microsoft seems to have completely switched focus. The Xbox has become an all-in-one entertainment/media hub, with Kinect being the center of it all. This has (inadvertently?) resulted in a lapse of 1st-party gaming content.

I guess in a sense, Microsoft is the new Nintendo. They went from fully supporting the dedicated gamer, to releasing a camera peripheral to cash in on the Wii's motion controller success. The problem is, no one expected (or asked) Microsoft to do this. Kinect is a laggy, unresponsive technology that makes the Wii Remote look like a godsend in comparison. No amount of bodily flailing or pantomiming will improve the gaming experience if the hardware can't keep up with your movements.

Microsoft now has only 4 main franchises to rely on: Halo, Forza, Gears, and Kinect Sports (I know Gears of War is an Epic Games IP, but Microsoft publishes it). Where's the diversity? They can't compete with Sony on the 1st-party front, because they aren't showing the effort to match Sony's output.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:01:50 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
After the financial success of the Wii who could blame Microsoft for chasing the casual market. The Xbox doesn't just sell games now, its now a platform for Microsoft to sell us ads, movies and music. It also allows them to push Zune and Bing. Its also a tool used to garner marketing information to target specific ads.

By going after the casual market they can establish a such larger install base that will allow them to make all the more money from their various other services.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
To be honest does sony having a bigger first party line up really means any thing when the majority of its releases are bombas.

That and I don't think microsoft is going to need to worry about new IP with all its new studios.

Also there was some want for kinect seeing as it was a commerical success. I mean it had its problems but you have to realize that it was a gen 1 product that was further gimped to get it for commerical release. Also calling it laggy and unresponsive is a pretty general statment seeing there are tons of game play videos (giantbomb quicklooks) show the oppsite for a lot of games.

The Kinect fusion stuff is pretty cool.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf-9Sh47l5A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

But like Phish said Kinect was just an ends to a means. It was one of the first steps in getting xbox as a brand to mean more than games and to get non gamers into the ecosystem with entertaiment and casuel games.  Because going forrward unless your nintendo you won't be able to get buy with being just a games company and not having a somewhat mature ecosystem which makes me fear a bit for sony.

Also smartglass worked with yeserdays election hub where microsoft teamed with nbc to livestream the brain williams election coverage with an interactve portion. They also did the same thing for each of the debates as well as each parties convention.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/10/2/3439482/future-of-polling-microsoft-election-2012-xbox-live-hub-interactive-tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqgDEUfQYhk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH-TBTYWiV0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df06T0tZRP4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Speaking of Kinect, have you seen this new patent regarding it?

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220120278904%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20120278904&RS=DN/20120278904
The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.

So all you people that like to watch movies with friends or have large families may want to use something other than your Xbox720 w/ Kinect or hope the camera can be disabled.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Speaking of Kinect, have you seen this new patent regarding it?

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220120278904%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20120278904&RS=DN/20120278904
The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.

So all you people that like to watch movies with friends or have large families may want to use something other than your Xbox720 w/ Kinect or hope the camera can be disabled.
MS is going the big brother route here it seems.  Hopefully they never actually implement this or there will be a huge backlash.

Offline MrPhishfood

• View Profile
Who knows. Their next version of Kinect may be very accurate, it may even have a chip that translates movement within the unit itself instead of off-loading it to the CPU.

I don't envy the guys that have to do the programming for this. To differentiate between a badly dressed authentic user and 2 kids in an overcoat with a life sized picture of your face.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
Kinect has potential, but without any form of tangible control, it's basically like miming. There's nothing to hold in your hands, no buttons to press, no screen to tap (though SmartGlass changes that).

PS Move had potential too, but Sony essentially gave up on that tech before it had a chance to mature. The Move works really well for shooters, dancing games, and arcadey sports games, but it hasn't gotten much use in other genres. I'm actually glad Nintendo is keeping the Wii Remote around for Wii U games, because aiming with the pointer [in shooters] was so fluid and precise.

Now I'm hoping for a Metroid Prime Trilogy HD. But I know it will never happen... (Then again, we said the same thing about reviving the Donkey Kong Country franchise, and look what Retro Studios gave us)

In a way, it seems Microsoft is being more forward-thinking here. They are really pushing for complete integration with all their products. From the unified "Metro" interface on Windows Phone and Windows 8, to Kinect functionality built into the Xbox 360 OS, to making SmartGlass a second window to your media/game content. Microsoft is really going all out this time.

Hopefully it all works out for them. I guess they were inspired by Apple's ecosystem of software/hardware integration, because it's obviously working for Apple.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 11:18:10 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
I don't envy the guys that have to do the programming for this. To differentiate between a badly dressed authentic user and 2 kids in an overcoat with a life sized picture of your face.
I can't find it but I know Kinect has a depth camera that paints people by the distance they are away and I thought it also has a heat sensor in it as well so it can differentiate a person from a mannequin.

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
I've heard rumors that Microsoft is building up a bunch of first party studios again. A lot of talent that leaks from bigger developers and lots of people that have been laid off in the past are winding up working at Microsoft it seems. But those are just rumors.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Yep microsoft has quite a few studios now.

There are more than this But I picked the ones that are mostly development studios for games.

America
343 Industries. (Halo series)
Skybox Sports
Good Science Studios (Kinect adventures, kinect fun labs)
Microsft Studios mobile Gaming (illomilo windows phone)
Turn 10 Studios (Forza Series)
Twisted Pixel (the gunstriger, splosion man, lococycle)
Xbox live productions (south park xbla games)

Europe
Lionhead (Fable series as well as unannouced next gen game)
Microsoft studios London (new studio that's working on windows 8/windows phone 8 games)
Rare LTD (viva pinata, kameo, banjo, perfect dark, also rumored to be working on two next gen games.)
Soho Productions (seasme Street TV)
Press Play (max and the magic marker, tentacles)

Canada
Microsoft Studios Vancover (rumored to be a sci-fi horror game headed up by the crysis 2 dirctor, was also working on microsoft flight and a kinect project which both have been cancelled to put more resources into the next gen horror game)
Microsoft Studios Victoria ( headed by Christopher Robertson)
BigPark (Joyride series,kinect sports season 2)

that and the combat designer director and A.I lead from Irattional games (bioshock and bioshock infinte) joined an unknown microsoft studio along with a level designer from Naughty Dog.

Then there are also a few non first party projects that microsoft has in the works like

Ryse by Crytek has been rumored since september of last year to be moved to next gen which is why it wasn't show at this year's e3.

Alan Wake 2 has been hinted and teased by Remedy for a while now. 

But I think were going to see the first glimpse at the next xbox and maybe some games next motnh at the Spike VGAs. 

There are usually 7-10 trailers coming out of the VGAs. We already know at least one of them is going to be the next last of us trailer. The majority of the games are coming next year are hitting in the Q1 and Q2 part of the calander year so far. Nothing after that has been announced which is odd as most games announced during E3 and for the holiday season.

Taking into account that Nintendo doesn't particpate in these things it makes sense that a few of the games announced will be next gen products. A Grand Theft Auto 5 trailer is out of the picture with one coming this week.

After that I'm guessing more leaks and teases into we get some more at GDC, and then. Microsoft is going to host an event the last week of may, with E3 being about the games.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
I'm guessing a majority of Microsoft's new 1st-party developers are in-house (like Nintendo), while most of Sony's studios are external companies that were bought by the company. Is that right?

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Who knows. Their next version of Kinect may be very accurate, it may even have a chip that translates movement within the unit itself instead of off-loading it to the CPU.

MS essentially did with the Kinect what Nintendo was originally planning for the wiimote.  It was originally going to be an add on for the GC.  Because of a lag issue, they scrapped that idea and made a slightly stronger system that could handle the wiimote and GC level games at the same time with no lag.  Kinect has lag problems and a few other problems that a bit more power could possibly solve.  I have a feeling the 360's successor will be similar to the Wii U in terms of power but slightly more due to the extra year of development it'll have.  The Wii U can run the gamepad and wiimotes together with no problem and the games look better than 360 games.  The 720 will be able to run the Kinect 2.0 and smart glass with no problem and have games that look only slightly better than Wii U games.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
TheVerge is doing a series of articles about the battle for your television that's heating up. The first article was about the xbox 360.  Kind of sucks they didn't wait a few more weeks to test out the Tvii stuff as well.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/11/13/3633038/microsoft-xbox-360-trojan-horse-living-room

Microsoft may be the tech industry’s most dramatic story of 2012. The company has been in a constant state of flux / transition / reinvention /evolution (the proper descriptor depends on whom you ask) and all the fruits of all its labors seemed to have been realized within the span of about two weeks starting late October: an overhauled Windows with a heavy focus on touch-friendly interaction. A first-party flagship tablet (Surface). The departure of the man most responsible for these two projects. A rebooted Windows Phone platform with a trio of major OEMs. A music subscription service poised to take on both Spotify and iTunes. A brand new Halo title spearheaded by a newly-minted, in-house developer.

Yet for all its change this year, there has been one constant: the Xbox 360. Microsoft’s set-top box (née gaming console) launched in 2005 and has served as an anchor for the company’s "big screen" plans ever since. Microsoft has been evolving the "Xbox" brand from something focused on gaming to all entertainment and media content. For many, the console was their first foray into Netflix on TV, and the company has gradually made it a centerpiece of the Microsoft universe.

The one thing I'm confused about is the espn app. I've heard other people claim you need a cable sub to use but all I have is the Uverse internet and it still let's me use it for free.

Offline MrPhishfood

• View Profile
TVii is Nintendo's free service that doesn't require a paid subscription and does not sell any content provided by Nintendo.

Whereas Microsoft is the exact opposite, its a paid subscription service, where Microsoft also provides content and thus is a competitor to the other service providers on the system. In the UK there is a service called Sky that provides satellite TV, their content is available on 360 too, but you need to be on Xbox Live Gold and you need a subscription to Sky. It makes sense you still need to pay Sky for its content but I can't see why you have to be on Gold to access it. Surely the bandwidth is coming from Sky.

I can't see the next Xbox dominating the living room unless it has an easier to use Kinect and Xbox Live Gold as a free service. It may likely end up as a service that core gamers use as an added convenience.

Microsoft's approach is a mixed bag. Its like they are trying to draw in many different groups of people but is flawed in the execution. Run after 2 hares and you'll catch neither comes to mind.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Well it is working already. Its been said by microsoft a few times now that more people are using the xbox for entertaiment than services.

I do agree that microsoft has to something about xbox live Gold going into next gen. I'm guessing that for the 720 all of the entertaiment stuff is going to be free to use while their is still a barrier for online gaming under gold.