Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791009 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Promoting their browser didn't cause the lawsuit. It was Microsoft forcing any OEM that wanted to include Windows would also HAVE to include Internet Explorer as the only installed browser. And since Windows PC's were like 95% of the market (they still are like 90%), it would be financially disastrous for a manufacturer to try and sell a PC without Windows installed because consumers would likely pick a different computer..

Exactly. It wasn't bundling the browser that got them in trouble, it was using their monopoly in the PC market to force other companies to do something. If Microsoft made their own hardware they would have been perfectly within their rights to bundle Internet Explorer and tie it into the system the way they did.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
So played with a Windows 8 Laptop over the weekend and got a chance to mess around with the Xbox stuff for a bit.

The actual xbox app is pretty similar to the current dashboard. It shows your profile as well your friends list and the games you've recently played. The app also allows you to buy games and start software on your xbox.

Messed around with three games and the most gamish of the three rocket riot 3D was pretty intresting. One of the things I liked was the turorial of the game changed depending on the form factor i was using. When playing with a laptop it gave me controls for the keyboard (move with wasd and aim and shoot with the mouse/touchpad) and on a tablet it gives you digital controls.

The next game i tried was a point and click adventure game called Adera. Seemed to be pretty well made but really couldn't tell as I skiped though most of the story parts.  One of the bonus in the menu options were a soundtrack of the game and artwork that gives you the option to make your windows lockscreen.

The last game i tried was wordamont.

All windows 8 games have 200 gamescore and when getting an achievment you get a small notfication in the top right hand corner.

Didn't get a chance to try smartglass since it wont launch until this friday.

Going to post some more impressions once i have windows 8.

Also xbox live was down a bit this morning.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
I have a old as dirt Lenovo X61 tablet laptop and windows 8 works decently well on it. The screen is resistive though, so it's not perfect. It does work, though. I like it quite a bit. I can't wait to get a new laptop. I'm stuck with lenovo so there's a 60% chance I'll end up with that thinkpad edge twist thing they announced recently.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Microsoft is expanding the $99 xbox program they started eariler this year in terms of skus offered as well as retailers particpating.

Regardless of which you choose your going to be paying $14.99 a month for the next two years.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/10/23/3542196/xbox-360-250gb-two-year-contract-subsidy

Microsoft also updated the xbox smartglass application for windows 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBGkSuaqWEE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Xbox SmartGlass will also be available later this week when Windows 8 launches on October 26th. When the Xbox SmartGlass app launches on tablets, PCs and smartphones, it will include key foundational experiences for interacting with your Xbox 360, such as dashboard and app navigation and Internet Explorer control, like text input, scrolling and pinch and zoom. Additionally, you will get SmartGlass experiences with Xbox Video and Xbox Music starting this week. Xbox SmartGlass will be a free downloadable app that takes your Windows 8 tablets and PCs, Windows Phone 8, iOS and Android devices, and converts them into a smart second screen for the entertainment you are enjoying through your Xbox.

The current smartglass enabled apps and games are

Games
 Ascend
 Dance Central 3
 Forza Horizon
 Halo Waypoint
 Home Run Stars
 Karaoke
 Kinect Sesame Street TV
 Prima Games

Sports apps
 ESPN
 NBA Game Time
 UFC

Entertaiment apps
 Elections 2012
 HBO GO
 MSN
 NBC News
 NOW TV
 Slacker Radio
 TODAY
 Univision
Internet Explorer
Xbox Music
Xbox Video

Also added is a xbox sports hub into the main dashboard.  It takes all the infomation from the various sports apps and puts all of the info for upcoming games and sports scores into one place. To commerate that the NBA Game Time app. Launched today. Guessing the NHL one is delyed for obvious reasons. Really hope next spring microsoft can get MLS Live.

Lastly microsoft is kicking off showing its ecosystem.  The font page has a menu item that's decidcated to the all the new xbox stuff.

Not sure if I should make a seperate thread but anyone here getting Halo 4? Would love to get a group to play sparten ops with.

Also first Windows 8 reviews are up

The verge gave it an 8.8

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Buying a video game system through a contract subscription to Xbox Live? That's a terrible idea! Why doesn't Microsoft just drop the price of the console like everyone else? And now they're overcharging you for monthly Xbox Live payments ($14 a month does not equal $60 a year).
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Smartglass does indeed sound impressive (on paper at least) and seems a cleverway for Microsoft to try to ensure those of its existing X-Box customers are not tempted away by the promises of Wii U. The launch date for SmartGlass is clever as well.
Gotta say, well played by Microsoft here.

Still won't get me to cancel my Wii U pre order nor to buy an X-box but that is likely no big deal to Microsoft  ;D
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Do_What

• View Profile
Because there are a number of people for whom $100 up front and a monthly payment fits their lives more than dropping $250 up front and also paying for XBL anyway. Just like cell phones, but no one blinks at that.
Well, I do. Cause I haven't been on contract in four or so years and just buy my phones outright, but I'm one of a very small number of people who do that.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Because there are a number of people for whom $100 up front and a monthly payment fits their lives more than dropping $250 up front and also paying for XBL anyway. Just like cell phones, but no one blinks at that.
Well, I do. Cause I haven't been on contract in four or so years and just buy my phones outright, but I'm one of a very small number of people who do that.
I do. 

In fact I had an argument with AT&T about that Yesterday.  Saying I was saving money because I wasn't paying the $700 "Retail Price." Then they had the nerve to try to sell me a $10 a month "Insurance" which was really just a scam to pay $10 a month for the right to Re-buy the phone at the actual price of $199...

Its a racket.  People like to say we are getting ripped off by the $350 for the Deluxe Wii U.  That I feel justifies it price.  But $700 for any phone... Yeah... That's a Crock.  Unless said phone can fully replace a computer...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Do_What

• View Profile
yeah, I'm not paying $600 for a phone. I spent $350 on my current phone and that's as high as I will ever go. But I'm paying about $55 a month after taxes for unlimited data and texts and way more than enough minutes on some extinct t-mobile plan.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
So here's some infomation of all the smartglass content annouced so far.

At launch

Dashboard Navigation

Navigate through the Xbox 360 Dash using the familiar gestures that you use throughout the day on your smartphone and tablet computer. Selecting something is as simple as tapping the screen.

Text Input

Use the virtual keyboard you’re most familiar with-the one you use everyday on your smart device. Typing text and numbers into Xbox SmartGlass is as simple as writing a text message.

Browser Control

Xbox SmartGlass is the world’s greatest remote control for Internet Explorer and the only way you will ever want to surf the web. Use Xbox SmartGlass to navigate, scroll, pinch and zoom, and launch hotlinks on your IE browser right from your smart device.[/auote]

Xbox Video Guide

Use Xbox Video Guide to discover more about the actors on screen, jump to the exact moment you’d like to watch, or find other videos you might enjoy next, when you watch TV or movies with Xbox Video on your Xbox 360.

Xbox Music Guide

Use Xbox Music Guide to read about your favorite artists, control the music that’s playing on your Xbox 360 and discover great new content related to your favorite tunes.

Dance Central 3

Use your touchscreen mobile device or tablet to control your Party Time playlists on the fly, update settings like difficulty and play modes, set and track fitness goals, and more…all without interrupting gameplay, or having to navigate in-game menus.

Forza Horizon

Explore the open roads of Colorado with the Forza Horizon Xbox SmartGlass Experience. Explore and interact with the complete map of the Forza Horizon game world through intuitive gestures on your tablet or mobile device while seamlessly playing the game on your TV screen. No pausing required-keep the pedal down no matter where your destination lies.

Home StarRunners

Step up to the plate and swing for the fence in Home Run Stars, featuring Avatar FameStar! Progress through the League mode through all three unique stadiums. Each one features a vast number of spectacular targets to aim for and earn big points. Compete with your friends in multiplayer for the highest score. Use your device supported by Xbox SmartGlass to compete in a Duel with a friend!

Upcoming apps

Slacker Radio

Slacker has more personalized content than any other radio service, featuring over 200 expert-programmed stations of music, ESPN Radio, ABC News, comedy and more! Listen to millions of songs from thousands of artists, customized just for you.

Kinect Seasme Street TV

Children are invited to experience the world of Sesame Street alongside their favorite characters, such as Big Bird, Grover, Cookie Monster and Elmo, like never before. Learning has never been so much fun.

Now TV

NOW TV, powered by Sky, provides instant-access to Sky Movies, through your XBox. Offering easy and flexible access to the UK's most popular subscription movies service with up to 600 exclusive titles at any one time – NOW TV comes with no contract, set-up costs or installation. New customers can also take advantage of a free 30 day trial of the service.

NBC News

Watch NBC News for the latest business, politics, entertainment and health videos. The #1 source for news videos online is now on Xbox.

Karaoke

Bring the party home and sing more than 8,000 songs from the latest hits to the rockin’ oldies! Build your own personalized stage and back-up band as you directly stream any song from the entire playlist. Use the SmartGlass app to quickly and easily pick songs and add them to the queue. Enjoy Karaoke like you’ve never experienced it before! Coming later this year!

MSN

MSN Companion allows you to control your MSN viewing experience. Browse the latest news, sports, original programming, and more, all on-demand from your device while using the MSN app on your Xbox 360.

Ascend: New Gods

Ascend: Oracle is the premiere companion experience for Xbox LIVE Arcade’s Ascend: New Gods. The first of its kind, this game-state-aware strategy companion provides just-in-time player-boss stats and comprehensive dungeon maps with real-time player location automatically while you play the game.

UFC

With video on demand, an interactive fight card with Fight Picks, and easy Pay-Per-View, UFC on Xbox LIVE gives you the fight your way!

ESPN

ESPN on Xbox LIVE® is the most powerful way to get your daily sports fix! With thousands of live events, highlights and replays in HD, and rich personalization features, you will never miss a moment of the action!

NBA Game Time

Follow your favorite NBA teams and players on your Xbox 360 with NBA Game Time. Dig deep with daily highlights from around the league and up to the minute stats.

Today Show

NBC News’ TODAY, America’s number one morning news program, provides the latest news, entertainment and lifestyle stories.

HBO GO

With Xbox SmartGlass get rich, immersive details on selections from over 1,400 of your favorite HBO® shows, including HBO original series, hit movies, sports, comedy and more with HBO GO®.

Univision

The UVideos SmartGlass social experience will allow users to sync with their favorite shows to discover exclusive content, join spoiler-free Social TV conversations about Univision programs with other fans and Hispanic America’s biggest stars, and share videos via Facebook and Twitter.

Halo Waypoint

Stats is the perfect complement to your Halo 4 experience with new features that track your entire Halo 4 Career, connect you with friends and keep you current on all the latest Halo 4 news.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Whenever I get tempted to buy non-Nintendo hardware, it's always because of Karaoke.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
wow on the smartglass stuff
definitely competes directly with WiiU, arguably does TVii better
Nintendo's advantage (if you choose to charcterize it that way, as I do) is that the system is holistic: the Nintendo version of Smartglass is part of the Wii U system. Also, Nintendo has its own tricks like MiiVerse and its own Nintendo developed game titles.

But still, If I am an X-Box user, I really have next to no reason to swith to Wii U at this point.

Microsoft is definitely throwing its muscle around here. Nintendo will own Japan; North America, maybe not so much.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
The problem with smart glass is that you can't use it to play Halo 4. You still have to use a regular controller because of the lack of buttons, joysticks and most importantly, latency issues. It's neat that you can track things you would normally have to pause and see, but this does not compete with Nintendo (at least not yet).
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
The problem with smart glass is that you can't use it to play Halo 4. You still have to use a regular controller because of the lack of buttons, joysticks and most importantly, latency issues. It's neat that you can track things you would normally have to pause and see, but this does not compete with Nintendo (at least not yet).

Yeah this strikes me as similar to the 3D TV at home problem. People don't actually want to wear the glasses. With smartglass, it sounds cool in the same way as the Wii U, but you'd have to have a tablet on your lap or whatever and constantly take your hands off the regular control to interact with the tablet screen. Another similar distinction I think is the 3DS, which is basically the only palatable 3D consumer product out there because you don't have to take the extra step to wear glasses.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
stogi and magiccow, good points. The Wii U gamepad is a controller as well as the screen. Hadn't thought about that.

I was thinking more about smartglass seeming to take a bit of the wind out of the TVii sail.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Well I would say as far as the non gaming stuff Smartglass is on par with the Wii U. As far as games go microsoft has smartly not tried to make smartglass a main control method rather then a optional companion device.

I was talking to a friend who used smartglass on an asus vivo tab he got early (he works at staples). He used it while playing Forza Horizon and the smartglass app becomes a GPS system for the game.

The map is touch enabled and shows where you are is touch wnabled to select events or set GPS points. It also shows in real time you as well as where other players are at on the same, so your constantly seeing a few blimps going across the screen. He never goes into the map menu while playing the game anymore. It seems like it would be pretty useful when playing multiplayer when doing the free roam races. Instead of making a blind jump you can just glance to side to see good routes to take.

On the Halo front it will probably be similar to the Halo Waypont application on phones and tablets now. Its prett much a Halo Hub that aggerates all your Halo stats and has new and videos (its pretty much like COD Eltie for halo). It also lets you see an overview of the game map while playing and lets you see where every one is at (red and blue blips on the map) as well as weapon drops. It really jsn't that great for straight deathmatch games but I've found it useful for objective game types like CTF or Invasion.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
You know, I'm really liking the direction Microsoft is going with their gaming and computer products (aside from Kinect, which I still think is a laggy piece of ****).

This SmartGlass thing is very intriguing, even though it appears to be a direct copy of the Wii U. Either way, the more innovative tech gets out there, the better!

So do you guys think Microsoft will integrate Kinect and SmartGlass together in some way?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
That map made me realize...why hasn't somebody used GPS technology and Google Maps or some Maps app...to make a racing game that uses real roads and such? 

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
That's actually a good idea.

So is Forza Horizon a simulator in the vein of Gran Turismo and the older Forza games? Or is it more arcadey like Burnout, Midnight Club, or Need for Speed?

I wonder if Forza will now branch out in two directions, with the main series remaining a racing sim with individual racetracks, and Horizon being it's own open-world spinoff series?

I'd love to see more open-world racers (Gran Turismo!), but only a few pulled it off well: Midnight Club, Burnout Paradise, and (supposedly) now Forza Horizon.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:45:32 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
    • View Profile
So is Forza Horizon a simulator in the vein of Gran Turismo and the older Forza games? Or is it more arcadey like Burnout, Midnight Club, or Need for Speed?

It's more arcadey. Not totally arcadey like Burnout Paradise, but certainly more so than Forza Motorsport.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I've always wanted a game like Forza or Gran Turismo on a Nintendo platform. Especially now, as I think the GamePad could have a lot of neat applications for one.

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
The best way. To describe forza horizonis to call ita project gotham racing game.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
Yay! I love arcade racers like Burnout and PGR. Hopefully Need for Speed: Most Wanted (the Criterion reboot) brings back that Burnout Paradise feel.

I still think it would be a good idea for EA to merge Burnout and Need for Speed into one game. No need to have Criterion make two distinct racers when they are so similar in design. Need for Speed: With Insane Crashes is pretty much what I'm getting at.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
I think I really want to see crazy arcade open world racing game. 

I think it would be nice to have a racing game, focused on getting from point A to point B as fast as you can...and not about laps or anything. 

The skill comes from 2 things.  Driving well, and mapping out your path well.  Mapping out the path can be done one of two ways... first by actually using a Map (for Wii U on the screen...and taking to time to look and Map out a route to take...Or you can try your luck at racing without a route and reading the map on the fly.

This could be a fun game like Crazy Taxi...and you have a large city and you must really know how to go.  Add in real time traffic that changes and you have a compelling game.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
This year's Need For Speed game looks like it's that. Made by the guys who did Burnout Paradise, and it looks like it borrows a lot of elements from that game, including the open world. 

J.P. Corbran