Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791041 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Actually, being able to control the software makes them a monopoly. If anything, Apple is far worse because if you buy a Mac then you have no choice as to what OS or browser you get (you HAVE to have OX X and Safari). With PCs, you can buy ones with Windows and without Internet Explorer. Microsoft was attacked because they dominated the OS market. What Apple does though is much more of a monopoly, and if Macs become bigger then there is a higher chance that anti-trust regulators will FINALLY go after them for their un-competitive practices.

And under your logic, if Microsoft made the PCs themselves, then they wouldn't have done anything wrong by having Internet Explorer be the default browser.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Incorrect TJ. Internet explorer is an integral part of Windows, had you tried to uninstall it, you either breaks the operating system or it falls back to an internal copy of it since it forms the basis of the Windows GUI. Deleting Safari would only break the "Search with Google" Context menu item. Macs can also run Windows and Linux if you so desire via bootcamp that walks you through the process.

MS got fined for leveraging their monopoly in the OS market on to the browser market. Had Apple done the same, they would have been fined. The important distinction is that Apple doesn't have a monopoly and hasn't actively disallowed other browsers by integrating Safari into the core operating system.

The only Monopoly Apple has is on hipsterism and that in itself is enough of a penalty.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
I am not wrong at all.
Macs can't natively run Windows, you have to trick it into doing so. You can do the same trick to run Mac OS X on Windows PCs. Apple DOES have a monopoly on Macs, they just get away with it because Mac has a very low marketshare (about 10%). Nobody WANTS Safari anyways, Apple would have to beg OEM to even use it. If Macs ever get significant marketshare, they will get busted for their monopoly. The EU is bitching because when someone buys a Windows PC, they are not presented with a "Select your browser" screen. Apple doesn't do that either, when you buy a Mac, you don't get a choice as to which browser to start with. Apple fanboys don't see that Apple is doing the same thing that got Microsoft in trouble.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
So looks like Microsoft is creating another hardcore studio. Irrational Games (bioshock and bioshock infinte) combat design director and A.I. Lead have left to joing microsoft.

https://mobile.twitter.com/supererogatory/status/256281600344596480

They are joining a former Irrational producer who also left for microsoft.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/joseph-faulstick/4/42a/702

As well as a former level designer from naughty dog who left in may.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/alex-liu/2b/1a9/14

Really no indication its a new studio other than the fact that all three are working directly in Redmond at microsoft headquaters and not any known studios.

This studio will probably be core focused and join MS Vancouver (headed by the Crysis 2 lead designer and rumored to be working on a space horror game) and MS Victoria (headed by a former ea blackbox guy) as well as all the current core and casuel studios.

Aruther gies also said on twitter that it was inline of what he had heard about microsoft renewing first party efforts since last year.

Also an article from engadget about how microsoft is evolving the xbox brand ro be more than video games.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
The reason why you have to use Bootcamp and the tricks to get OSX installed on PCs is that Windows doesn't fully support EFI(Extendable firmware Interface) which is basically next gen Bios which was an Intel initiative.

The browser select screen is the end result but not why MS was fined. If you paid any attention to what I said earlier, IE was/is integrated in the the operating system as part of the windowing element of the GUI. Had you tried to completely uninstall IE, you would break the operating system since it would involved removing core elements. It meant IE was literally uninstallable.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Regarding the first point, you have to use tricks to get OS X to work in Windows too.

The reason Microsoft was fined in 2009 was because because of the browser select thing. How can you not agree that what Apple is doing is illegal too? They get away with it because Mac's marketshare is puny.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
Regarding the first point, you have to use tricks to get OS X to work in Windows too.
I know about the trick(s). I am using them right now to type this out. My computer is a non-apple Mac. The trick is basically a bootloader. The only hacks I had to use was custom drivers for the network and a description file for the graphics card. Everything else works natively.

The browser select window is the solution, the final compromise, but not the reason they were fined. OSX comes with Safari, but it isn't dependant on it, that is the difference. OSX actively supports other operating systems Via bootcamp and developing drivers so they work on a IntelMac. Windows doesn't have this and doesn't have to because Windows is software only. Bootcamp is why Apple isn't being prosecuted for an anti-trust violations.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Apple is in no way a monopoly. There is nothing illegal about making your own hardware and software and tying them to each other, and calling them a monopoly because only Macs run OS X or because Macs only run OS X shows how ignorant you are of what antitrust laws are supposed to do. Boot Camp has nothing to do with that; Apple didn't have to officially support dual booting like they do. What is illegal is abusing your monopoly position in the market to unfairly influence other companies or markets, which is what Microsoft did.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
So the new xbox dashboard update should be going live for everyone.  The update features

-Refreshed Xbox 360 Dashboard. We’ve updated the UI with a few things, including an updated layout with more tiles, a combined TV & Movies channel and, in the US, a Sports destination. -Internet Explorer for Xbox. With Internet Explorer on Xbox, you can easily find and view internet content on the biggest screen in the house, including HTML5 videos. -Recommendations and Ratings. Recommendations will allow you to discover new favorites, generated based on a number of variables including the content you previously viewed, what your friends are consuming and what is most relevant and popular with our Xbox community. You can now rate content yourself and also see Rotten Tomatoes ratings. -Pinning. Pinning lets you personalize the dashboard by saving your favorite movies, TV shows, games, music, videos and websites right to the home screen. It’s as easy as opening an app or a favorite movie and clicking “pin.” -Xbox Video. Formerly called Zune Video Marketplace, Xbox Video offers hundreds of thousands of TV shows and movies for buying or renting in instant HD streaming. -Recent. Previously called Quick Play, the Recent view gives you a list of movies, games, apps or other types of content that you most recently accessed on the console. -Enhanced Search. The last Xbox LIVE update brought Bing voice search to Xbox so you could use voice to search for movies, TV shows, actors, directors and artists. This year we added genre search to the list, so now you can search for action, comedy, romance, drama or sci-fi. Bing voice search now includes results for video across the Web, including YouTube. -International Expansion of Voice Search. We’ve expanded our Kinect voice search capabilities to 9 new countries –Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Mexico, Italy, Spain, Austria, and Ireland.

What about Xbox SmartGlass? That’s coming too, but not until Windows 8 launches on October 26th. When the Xbox SmartGlass app launches on tablets, PCs and smartphones, it will include key foundational experiences for interacting with your Xbox 360, such as dashboard and app navigation and Internet Explorer control, like text input, scrolling and pinch and zoom.

Yesterday, we shared all the details about Xbox Music, our brand new digital music service. Xbox Music begins rolling out today on Xbox 360, it will launch with free streaming on all Windows 8 PCs and tablets on October 26th and Windows Phone 8 as devices arrive in market. Xbox Music combines all the different ways people love to enjoy music, creating the ultimate all-in-one music service.

Also microsoft has announced pricing got the surface RT tablet.

Really think it would have been better to cut each model by $100 so the entry level would be $399.

At this point $600 for a 32GB RT tablet makes no sense for around that same much HP will offer the HP Envy X2 for the same amount and that will be at 64GB and running a clovertrail processor letting you also run X86 applications.

Sucks as the device and keyboard looked really good in the commerical that premired yesterday. Still expecting the device to sell moderately well but not at ipad levels. Not really important when there are a ton of other form factors to choose from.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Apple is in no way a monopoly. There is nothing illegal about making your own hardware and software and tying them to each other, and calling them a monopoly because only Macs run OS X or because Macs only run OS X shows how ignorant you are of what antitrust laws are supposed to do. Boot Camp has nothing to do with that; Apple didn't have to officially support dual booting like they do. What is illegal is abusing your monopoly position in the market to unfairly influence other companies or markets, which is what Microsoft did.

Your whole post made me laugh, especially since you can't see the illegality of what Apple is doing. Whatever, part of this makes me want to see Macs get a larger marketshare so the DOJ and EU will finally go after them.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Thats a shame on the Surface pricing.  I would have started $399 max and the covers I price at 60 and 70 respectively.

Though no one on this board will get one because over $250 is way to much to pay for electronics. :P:
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile

Your whole post made me laugh, especially since you can't see the illegality of what Apple is doing. Whatever, part of this makes me want to see Macs get a larger marketshare so the DOJ and EU will finally go after them.

What is illegal about what Apple is doing? You don't seem to understand the difference between Apple, who makes their own hardware that runs their own software, and Microsoft, who makes an OS that other companies make hardware for. I also hope Apple sees a dramatic spike in marketshare, so I get better software support and you get shown that they won't get prosecuted.

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Yeah the price for RT should have been lower despite the awesome hardware and coming with office.

oddly enough im stillpumped for the proand wouldnt mind paying the 800+ it will probably cost.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Also Microsoft has announced pricing got the Surface RT tablet.

Really think it would have been better to cut each model by $100 so the entry level would be $399.

At this point $600 for a 32GB RT tablet makes no sense for around that same much HP will offer the HP Envy X2 for the same amount and that will be at 64GB and running a clovertrail processor letting you also run X86 applications.

Sucks as the device and keyboard looked really good in the commerical that premired yesterday. Still expecting the device to sell moderately well but not at ipad levels. Not really important when there are a ton of other form factors to choose from.

How are those prices bad if they are the same as (or comparable to) an iPad? The surface gives you more functionality than an iPad, with the inclusion of HDMI and USB ports. If you think the Surface is overpriced, then what about the iPad?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Also Microsoft has announced pricing got the Surface RT tablet.

How are those prices bad if they are the same as (or comparable to) an iPad? The surface gives you more functionality than an iPad, with the inclusion of HDMI and USB ports. If you think the Surface is overpriced, then what about the iPad?
Overpriced.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
As soon as MS stated that it wasn't supporting any X86 software the Surface went right off my "want" list.  Would have been killer if there was an tablet that supported existing PC software (Steam for one) but sadly the Windows RT will only support the few apps from MS store.

Compared to the millions on apps on Droid/Apple stores, MS's selection is going be rather limited.  Can't even play my XBLA games on it :( .  Pointless.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
As soon as MS stated that it wasn't supporting any X86 software the Surface went right off my "want" list.  Would have been killer if there was an tablet that supported existing PC software (Steam for one) but sadly the Windows RT will only support the few apps from MS store.

Compared to the millions on apps on Droid/Apple stores, MS's selection is going be rather limited.  Can't even play my XBLA games on it :( .  Pointless.
Congratulation!  Your the Market for the Pro which will be a fully functional Windows.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile

MS's selection will be limited because they have a brand new device coming out. Use some common sense. You really expect Microsoft to have thousands of apps ready on day 1? It took iOS and Android years to get to where they are today.

And the Surface RT tablet is meant to be an iPad competitor, not a full PC replacement. The Windows 8 version is coming out next year, and it will be like a laptop/tablet hybrid.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile

What is illegal about what Apple is doing? You don't seem to understand the difference between Apple, who makes their own hardware that runs their own software, and Microsoft, who makes an OS that other companies make hardware for. I also hope Apple sees a dramatic spike in marketshare, so I get better software support and you get shown that they won't get prosecuted.
Did you know Microsoft has a monopoly on the Xbox 360 according to TJ's logic?  They should be prosecuted because they don't allow the PS3 XMB on it.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile

I wouldnt worry about apps.  Seiing as metro apps run on every windows 8 hardware and its what consumers are being pointed too expect that number to blow up next year.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile

Fanboy in denial...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile

Fanboy in denial...

Person who is ignorant of antitrust law making baseless claims.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
On the MS Antitrust IE stuff.  I would personally label it if Microsoft didn't allow other browsers to function at the same level as IE.  Which we all know that has never been the case.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile

Fanboy in denial...

Person who is ignorant of antitrust law making baseless claims.

So Microsoft promoting their own browser to get people to connect to the internet is considered a monopoly? It's not like they block other browsers from being used. You can freely download any browser you want on Windows, and you can even set them as a default browser.

Contrast this to Apple, which blocks iOS 3rd-party browsers from using Nitro Javascript, and they don't let you change the default browser. THAT would be considered antitrust.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Promoting their browser didn't cause the lawsuit. It was Microsoft forcing any OEM that wanted to include Windows would also HAVE to include Internet Explorer as the only installed browser. And since Windows PC's were like 95% of the market (they still are like 90%), it would be financially disastrous for a manufacturer to try and sell a PC without Windows installed because consumers would likely pick a different computer..
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:57:39 PM by TJ Spyke »