Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791021 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Since day one the Xbox has been essentially a closed architecture PC. I believe it has been their intention all along to do this simply to preserve and to expand their desktop monopoly. It is no secret that with the rise of tablets and consoles, the significance of old fashioned desktop computers has diminished. They are no longer as relevant as they once were, because now other devices are starting to fill the same roles.

But anyway, 8GB of RAM is about what you'd expect on a brand new PC on the market today. Windoze is and always has been a bloated monstrosity which has been pushing PC hardware requirements for the last two decades. So it shouldn't be any surprise that this is what they are going to do with consoles as well. This is how M$ rolls.
is your sanity...

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Windows 8 is really lightweight. The minimum ram requirements are 1GB. Also the pwrtstbat would be used for the new xbox would be the metro WinRT bits which has been tested to run efficiently on low power arm chips.

And it wouldn't be running windows.  :)It would be running the Windows NT core the same as windows 8 and Windows Phone. Ghat allows for easier porting of games and apps between the three but it isn't the same thing at all.

Calling it a PC woulld be as stupid as calling the apple TV one because it runs ios which shares a lot of code from Mac OS X.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
So Lionhead has pretty much confrimed the rumors they have moved onto nextgen game development.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/fable_the_journey/news/lionhead_transition_to_next-gen_is_an_exciting_and_scary_time.html

The kinect Sports series has sold 6 million units thus far.  Meaning without a doubt rare is going to work on kinect for a long time to come.

Microsoft announced on the Playxbla blog that they. Have renewed the trademark for killer Instinct. Meaning its either Killer Instinct 3 or HD remakes of the game.

http://playxbla.com/killer-instinct-trademark-renewed/

Always wondered why Nintendo or Microsoft has never tried to make new DD installments of their franchises. Why not a new 2D metroid or a new n64 style banjo game on wiiware or 360.

Also microsoft are holding a windows 8 launch event the 25th.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
If they put 8gb RAM in the system, it will either cost a ton or they will no longer have shared RAM between the video card and CPU. 8gb GDDR5 video RAM is too expensive and 8gb DDR3 system RAM is too slow.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
If they put 8gb RAM in the system, it will either cost a ton or they will no longer have shared RAM between the video card and CPU. 8gb GDDR5 video RAM is too expensive and 8gb DDR3 system RAM is too slow.

What if they split the RAM in half? 2GB video RAM, 2GB system RAM? Like what the PS3 did with its 256MB + 256MB RAM.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 11:52:57 AM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
But didn't everybody hate Sony for setting it up that way?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
But didn't everybody hate Sony for setting it up that way?

I don't know about the hate, but it certainly made the PS3 extremely difficult to develop for, and that's why Skyrim on the PS3 is the bug ridden joke that it is.

It was a shame Sony set the PS3 up the way they did, because the Cell processor really is a beast and in terms of processing power the PS3 is the most powerful system of this generation, but because of the RAM limitations that power is bottlenecked and isn't really capable of being fully utilized, so the advantage is wasted. The 360 has a technically inferior processor to the PS3, but because they have a better RAM setup the 360 ends up taking the cake as the most powerful system overall.
is your sanity...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
8GB is too much for a console.  Most phones are at 1gb.  My laptop is at 6GB of shared ram and it rarely ever uses all of it and I multitask a lot with it.  I still think it'll end up with only 4GB.

Though prices of RAM are continuing to go down.  Maybe they think it'll be cost effective by the time they start mass producing the 720.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
8GB is too much for a console.  Most phones are at 1gb.  My laptop is at 6GB of shared ram and it rarely ever uses all of it and I multitask a lot with it.  I still think it'll end up with only 4GB.

Though prices of RAM are continuing to go down.  Maybe they think it'll be cost effective by the time they start mass producing the 720.

Maybe they're designing for a 10-year life cycle? This is another difference between MS' demonstrated goals with their console hardware vs. Nintendo. Nintendo tries for "good enough" and "profitable," but MS has demonstrated that they are comfortable with future-proofing their releases as much as possible (Didn't the 360 have graphics tech that didn't hit PCs until slightly later?) and willing to take that up-front cost/pricing hit for benefits years later in the game.

Maybe 8 GBs RAM won't look so ridiculous if the XBox 720 is intended to still be relevant in a large way in 2022?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Kairon:  But that isn't wise Business.  Nobody can predict the trends of computing and gaming in 10 years.  Nobody knows where the technology will go and what players will want to play.

I think Nintendo has proven that with the Wii, and the DS, and the 3DS...and the rise of Tablet computers which has drastically disrupted the home computing market. 

Creating good enough for 5-6 years will ensure a product that is affordable for consumers, and will allow the company to look at the market and consumer trends and find out where the future for gaming is heading.

Another thing is that 8 GB Ram is expensive and unnecessary for this market of gaming....even 4 GB Ram is probably pushing it...but whatever. 

However, in 6 years 8GB of Ram might be dirt cheap  (probably will be) and technology will be able to properly use it (assuming things keep on advancing to need more power.)  By then when you release your new system you could be putting in 12 GB Ram for very little cost. 

To me it doesn't make sense to do too much future proofing.  Nintendo does too little.  However, I think the PS3 was perhaps too much...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile

Maybe they're designing for a 10-year life cycle? This is another difference between MS' demonstrated goals with their console hardware vs. Nintendo. Nintendo tries for "good enough" and "profitable," but MS has demonstrated that they are comfortable with future-proofing their releases as much as possible (Didn't the 360 have graphics tech that didn't hit PCs until slightly later?) and willing to take that up-front cost/pricing hit for benefits years later in the game.

Maybe 8 GBs RAM won't look so ridiculous if the XBox 720 is intended to still be relevant in a large way in 2022?

& MS has yet to even see the light at the other end of the tunnel when it comes to being profitable on the Xbox brand. Only someone like MS can take that massive loss leader approach in a for profit industry only to further push their living room agenda.
I'm sure MS is probably dancing on the edges of an "unfair business practices" lawsuit by using massive profits from one industry to buy it's way into another industry in a way that pushes out fair competition that is trying to make a profit.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile

& MS has yet to even see the light at the other end of the tunnel when it comes to being profitable on the Xbox brand. Only someone like MS can take that massive loss leader approach in a for profit industry only to further push their living room agenda.
I'm sure MS is probably dancing on the edges of an "unfair business practices" lawsuit by using massive profits from one industry to buy it's way into another industry in a way that pushes out fair competition that is trying to make a profit.

I really don't think Microsoft cares about being a corporate bully anymore. They have their Surface tablet, which will coexist with the other Windows 8 tablets. They have the Xbox, which has coexisted with Sony and Nintendo's platforms. Microsoft isn't Apple, you know. :)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
which will coexist

You mean like how Internet Explorer "coexisted" with Netscape?
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I'm not invested enough to offer an opinion either way, but tendoboy did specifically say "I really don't think Microsoft cares about being a corporate bully anymore." Anymore being the operative word. Netscape isn't really a relevant or appropriate counterpoint to what he's saying about Microsoft today because he's saying they aren't like that anymore. That's up to him to defend though.

Anyway, if I had to guess, Orbis/Durango will probably have 3GB-4GB of RAM. It's a jump, but not crazy one.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:03:52 AM by Adrock »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
What do you mean Microsoft has yet to see the light at the end of tunnel of the TV race.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/16/in-tv-race-microsoft-has-lead-forrester-says/

They are in the lead of a seperatemarket than the one they enetered and its a market that's still young and going to have massive growth. Not only that but going into their next console their fling to have a ton of partnerships from the xbox they can easily exploit.

Not only that but the 360 has been a profitable system since 2010 and that's not counting all of the kinects sold as well as the $4.8 billion that xbox live estimates to make per quarter.

And don't use the bullshit excuse that Microsoft is using unfair bussiness pratices about using money from one market to fuel another. If tthat were the case Sony,apple, and google would have been hit as well right? That's how business goes. If the other guy cant compete he is obviously playing out of his league. (Like oyua for example)

And really all I here from Chozo is crape that happened in the past. Who cares its about the now and what Microsoft has done as a forward facing company.

In other news Microsoft is starting a new studio helmed by former CBS exec Nancy Tellem who helped greenlight hits like survivor. Tellem will work to create both interactive and "linear" content as Entertainment & Digital Media president, overseeing a new production studio located in Los Angeles.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/18/3353102/microsoft-original-content-xbox-cbs-nancy-tellem

So Microsoft has a new studio under the xbox brand that doesn't even make games. From the info above it seems its going to have to functions. Developing original traditional TV style content for the xbox platform aswell as developing interactive television like Microsoft's own Soho Productions studio is doing with the seasme street TV and Nat Geo TV.

Related too that Kinect Seasme Street TV and Kinect Nat Geo TV released the other day. I was surprised to see on the marketplace it isn't a game but a TV styled app with a lot of options.  I want to say I'm surprised that the game industry hasn't reported on this but then I remember the audience is man childern and the core gamer Bates familes for some odd reason. Going to post some screen shots later.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
The only way Micro$oft could make a product that doesn't suck is if they made a vacuum cleaner.
is your sanity...

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Yet we have the

Xbox
Windows
Windows Phone
Microsoft Office
Skydrive (the best cloud service when it comes to amount of data given and cost for additional data)
Internet Explorer 10
All products that have gotten rave reviews.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
I think Microsoft makes good products, but they had nothing to do with making Skype. They only bought it earlier this year, after Skype was already uber popular and successful.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
which will coexist

You mean like how Internet Explorer "coexisted" with Netscape?

Netscape hasn't been relevant in over 15 years. And it has nothing to do with the Microsoft of today. Internet Explorer is happily coexisting with Google Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. MS Office is available on both Windows and Mac. Xbox is coexisting with PlayStation and Nintendo. Need I go on to further illustrate my point?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
is your sanity...

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
Microsoft isn't Apple, which is doing more bullying today than Microsoft did in the 1990's. (See their frivolous lawsuits with Samsung and Google)

Apple is the new Microsoft.

Speaking of Samsung, I tried the new Galaxy tablets at Best Buy, and I can't believe how people can like them. The resolution is nowhere as good as an iPad 3, which is odd since Samsung makes the screens for iPads. The Asus Transformer Infinity is closer to an iPad than a Galaxy tablet (regarding its display quality).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:21:08 AM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
Netscape hasn't been relevant in over 15 years.

Gee, I wonder why. They were relevant right up until Micro$oft bundled IE with Windoze. I guess you think that was just a coincidence and had nothing to do with their demise.

And it has nothing to do with the Microsoft of today.

It has everything to do with Microsoft. Nothing has changed. If Microsoft were able to destroy Sony and Nintendo they would do so. The only reason they haven't is because they are unable, but the desire and the intent is there. They want any given market they are in all to themselves. They are anti-competitive and monopolistic. They are spending billions of dollars from the PC OS market to strong arm their way to dominance in a new market. This is a violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act.
is your sanity...

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
And Apple is doing the exact same thing with the tablet market, their ridiculous smartphone patents, and their lawsuits against Samsung and Google.

Netscape was reborn as Firefox, so Microsoft didn't kill them off completely.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:28:33 AM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
I think Microsoft makes good products, but they had nothing to do with making Skype. They only bought it earlier this year, after Skype was already uber popular and successful.

Eh I guess so.

But using that logic apple shouldn't be considered the maker of some parts of ios and depending on who you talk too Mac os as a whole. Same thing with google buying sparrow last month. Hell google bought android.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile

Eh I guess so.

But using that logic apple shouldn't be considered the maker of some parts of ios and depending on who you talk too Mac os as a whole. Same thing with google buying sparrow last month. Hell google bought android.

Google bought Android? I thought they created it.