Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 790999 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Are you trying to sell us tablets and phones? Other than your first sentence, 95% of your post has nothing to do with the next Xbox and is only related because MS is involved somewhere by branding everything "Xbox".
I think Microsoft is going to have some serious pricing advantages. I think they are going to have a not only an on-contract model like they do with the current xbox at multiple retailers, but Cable carriers may offer the 720 as a choice as a cable box as well.
Not sure what you are getting at here. Under Kytim's scenario MS doesn't have a price advantage. In your scenario the only thing "Cheaper" is the take home sticker price, but anyone with half a brain knows at the end of the day such deals are more expensive. Also the cable offerings is very US centric. It means nothing outside of North America.

The average consumer doesn't givea **** about if its more expensive in the end. If they did the US carrier bussiness wouldn't be as anti-consumer as it is. Apparnetly the program of on contract xboxs have been doing good in the west coast testing market.

I really hope this "contract" plan won't become the only way to buy an Xbox (or any game console). I'd hate to be forced into paying an Xbox Live subscription just to own an Xbox.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
...but Cable carriers may offer the 720 as a choice as a cable box as well.
I wouldn't count Nintendo out from this aspect either...

I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
...but Cable carriers may offer the 720 as a choice as a cable box as well.
I wouldn't count Nintendo out from this aspect either...

So the future of the game console is being an all-in-one media box? Will devices like the Apple TV and Roku Box be sold this way too? They'd get a lot more units sold that way.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Maybe that prototype thing represents one of those multiple SKUs that will be available at launch? I'm thinking the high end one.
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
I thought that what that picture shows is a prototype that still requires its GamePad or Wii U Pro Controller to be wired?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Are you trying to sell us tablets and phones? Other than your first sentence, 95% of your post has nothing to do with the next Xbox and is only related because MS is involved somewhere by branding everything "Xbox".
I think Microsoft is going to have some serious pricing advantages. I think they are going to have a not only an on-contract model like they do with the current xbox at multiple retailers, but Cable carriers may offer the 720 as a choice as a cable box as well.
Not sure what you are getting at here. Under Kytim's scenario MS doesn't have a price advantage. In your scenario the only thing "Cheaper" is the take home sticker price, but anyone with half a brain knows at the end of the day such deals are more expensive. Also the cable offerings is very US centric. It means nothing outside of North America.

The average consumer doesn't givea **** about if its more expensive in the end. If they did the US carrier bussiness wouldn't be as anti-consumer as it is. Apparnetly the program of on contract xboxs have been doing good in the west coast testing market.

I really hope this "contract" plan won't become the only way to buy an Xbox (or any game console). I'd hate to be forced into paying an Xbox Live subscription just to own an Xbox.

I doubt it would be the only way to own an XBox. For example, you can buy the latest iPhone right now without needing to sign up for a 2-year contract. It'll just cost you anywhere from 649 to 849 US Dollars.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Looks like the 720 may be delayed
Just to pour a bit more oil on the uncertain waters of the next Xbox, a new report has emerged suggesting that the console may miss its expected 2013 release date.

A story on tech news site SemiAccurate claims that the processor in the next Xbox is being manufactured by AMD - a change from the IBM PowerPC chip in the Xbox 360 - and should start rolling off the production lines in December, but has been hit by manufacturing problems.

The site's sources say that the chip, codenamed "Oban", is being manufactured in huge quantities at a variety of different manufacturing plants in the Far East, which is fairly standard practice for consumer electronics. The problem, apparently, is that most of the chips coming off the production line aren't good enough to pass testing. That means a lot of duff silicon and a greatly reduced ability to manufacture consoles.

This isn't uncommon with new chip manufacture, but the numbers are apparently dangerouslybad andmaymean that Microsoft won't be able to make enough new consoles to meet the expected Xbox 720 launch date of autumn 2013. There's still time to get things sorted, says the report, but not much - if the production problems aren't resolved by November, and chips don't start arriving in big numbers by February, then we might have to wait until 2014 to get the next Xbox.

Could this be the source of Gamestop's recent suggestion that a next-gen console could arrive in 2014? Probably not, we reckon - SemiAccurate's story says that Microsoft is still clinging to a 2013 release date for Xbox 720, and Sony's still got to make a few more quid back on PS3.

Exciting, entirely unconfirmed and possibly completely made-up times. On that subject, here's our roundup of the daftest Xbox 720 rumours.

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/09/04/microsoft-xbox-next-delay-rumors-abound/

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
oh no

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
Microsoft had the same problems with the Xbox 360 launch, so its mot surprising that they hit a snag with manufacturing problems. But are they using AMD for the CPU or GPU (ATI), or both? Either way, it means that backwards compatibility will be an issue once again, relying on unreliable software emulation instead of built-in hardware.

Good thing Nintendo knows how true backwards compatibility works. The Virtual Console, 3DS, Wii, and now Wii U are all doing it right.

Now where are all the PS4 rumors?!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
aren't good enough to pass testing.

So in other words, its a typical Micro$oft product.
is your sanity...

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Lulz you be so funny.

Anywho I was under the impression that what the wii did with the vc and gamecube was emulation.

Also microsoft won't let backwards compatabilty die. They have been toughting it that for windows phone 8 and windows 8.

ï»ż

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
Lulz you be so funny.

It might seem like I was joking but I am dead serious. Do Red Rings and Blue Screens of Death ring any bells to you? It would not surprise me in the least if the Xbox420 ends up being plagued by similar issues. This seems par for the course with Microsoft products.

Watch this video and then you will see what I mean.

Something like this could easily happen at E3 2013 or E3 2014 when their new console is unveiled.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:43:01 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Oh no I understand where excatly your coming from. Just I see no point in focusing or analyyzing the negative. Its not like thwey didn't handle the rrod situation well. Eh no reason to let all thatgeton my mind when buying a product.

Will still probably be looking forward to the next nexus device from google thoughthe Nexus7 and galaxynexus willstillhave problems.

Guess I'm not as cautious as most.

Also youtube needs to fix their html5 support. Internet explorer on xbox doesn't have flash and the leanback website sucks

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
If the chip is faulty, it's AMD's fault since they designed and manufactured it.

Not sure I would call this a delay since there is no release date. Even so, I am sure Microsoft would try to get AMD to get their act together ASAP.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
Not sure I would call this a delay since there is no release date.

Well, not so much a release date as a release year. Clearly they would want to get it out for holiday 2013 both because of the better sales, and also to have a full year head start over the PS4 which was a strategy that worked out well for them in this current gen. If they miss the holiday 2013 window then they would have to do it in like March 2014, or even wait until holiday 2014 which is far from ideal.

Not to mention if they miss the 2013 that means Nintendo will have two years in a row of holiday sales completely to themselves. I don't see how Sony or MS could ever be able to catch up to that, no matter how much more powerful their systems would be. Missing 2012 is a given, but if they miss that plus 2013 Nintendo is going to dominate with like 90% marketshare and it will be just like the PS2 all over again. That's why this is crucial (for them) that they don't miss this window.

Even if the hardware is buggy and failure prone I wouldn't be surprised if they go with it anyway, because the cost of replacing RROD systems is probably less than the cost of surrendering two years of the market to Nintendo. They rushed the 360 out in 2005 before it was really ready, and it cost them dearly to get those problems sorted out, but in the end that's why they are the strongest player in the market this generation. So it was worth it to rush it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:14:06 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
The SNES was able to catch up with the Genesis even though it came out two years late wasn't it?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
The SNES was able to catch up with the Genesis even though it came out two years late wasn't it?

That's one way of looking at it. But when you consider the total dominance that the NES had, and how insignificant the Master System was in comparison the fact the Genesis was able to expand Sega's marketshare so much is nothing short of astounding.

Also, Sega kinda fumbled the ball with the Genesis with the Sega CD and 32x addons which never really caught on. That is one factor which also helped the SNES catch up. Sega was also a company with very limited resources so they couldn't do things like moneyhats and so on like Microsoft and Sony can. It was a totally different situation back then then how things are today.
is your sanity...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
I still think the PS4 has a shot at 2013 as well.  Maybe Sony finally figured out how to hide things a little better.  MS has obviously had a problem hiding things this year.  Still, it's exciting to think that the new generation is about to start soon and what will it mean in the next couple of years.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
PlayStation 4 hasn't even been officially announced by Sony, so I think there is a very slim chance at best in it coming out in 2013.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
The PS4 doesn't need to come out in 2014.  WiiU needs to make up ground.  XBox is not super popular outside of US.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
PlayStation 4 hasn't even been officially announced by Sony, so I think there is a very slim chance at best in it coming out in 2013.
Well, Xbox 720 has never been officially announced by MS either, so does that mean there's little chance of it coming out in 2013 as well?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
Well, Xbox 720 has never been officially announced by MS either, so does that mean there's little chance of it coming out in 2013 as well?

Good point. We all know all three companies are working on their successors, and have been for some time. I don't know why TJ has to nitpick about how they haven't officially confirmed it. Do they really need to? Whether they've confirmed it or not, we know it. The only way they wouldn't is if they decided to throw in the towel with the video game business. There's a slim chance Sony might want to throw in the towel, but I doubt it.
is your sanity...

ï»ż

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
So as we all know the 6th was Fashion's Night Out and the 5th-13th is New York Fashion Week.  Microsoft teamed up with Bloomingdales and showed off some cool NUI and kinect stuff.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2012/09/07/microsoft-fashion-and-technology.aspx

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=6VEC4hpAXHU[/youtube]

And this isn't the first time kinect has been used for this type of thing.

Sadly it means two things.

1) Kinect is actually useful for non gaming things and has a future.
2)Microsoft is going to take this and use it to justify shoving kinect down our throats and putting it every where to grab the non gamer.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
That's kind of interesting. Nothing for gamers, but interesting.

ï»żï»żï»ż

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Well it in directly effects us because Microsoft should be rolling out Kinect Nuads sometime later this year.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/16/nuads-kinect-microsoft/
The company’s natural user-interface ads, or NUads, use Xbox Kinect’s motion sensing technology to transform TV commercials into something you can actively participate in with minimal effort. For instance, people can vote in real-time for a product or service by waving their hand, schedule a calendar reminder for an upcoming TV show, or say “Xbox Near Me” to see a map of locations for whatever retail store just advertised to them. Microsoft first showed off its NUads project at the Cannes International Advertising Festival last June.

“During the Super Bowl, you’re watching TV, some great ads pop up,” said Microsoft manager Lyn Watts in a recent Cnet report. “You say something like, ‘Xbox share,’ it’ll share automatically, on Facebook or Twitter, whatever you like. Advertisers are really impressed by this.”

Essentially, the NUads platform has the potential to start producing commercials that “watch you” while your watching them. In doing so, Microsoft thinks it can lure people away from DVR devices that permit skipping through the commercial breaks that play throughout a TV show. Satellite television service provider Dish Network is even making new DVR boxes (the appropriately named “Hopper” box) that automatically “hops” through those commercials.

The NUads launch couldn’t have come at a better time for the broadcast television industry, which has recently spoken out about how traditional advertising is failing to keep up with audience behavior.

http://techland.time.com/2012/06/18/microsofts-kinect-nuads-will-be-even-more-in-your-face-perhaps-for-the-better/
 http://www.adweek.com/news/technology/microsoft-officially-unveils-nuads-141110

While the tech is kind of cool and this will only further microsofts grip on the living room. Kind of sucks Microsoft has effectivly made the xbox into a crazy ad driven thing on top of the live subscription.

In one quater alone microsoft made $4.24 billion on xbox live.
 http://m.joystiq.com/2012/01/20/microsofts-xbox-division-revenue-at-4-24-billion-in-q2-xbox-l/

And according to a penny arcade article microsoft makes a crazy amount of money on dashboard ads.
 http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/ads-up-games-down-the-ugly-profitable-truth-about-xbox-live-advertising