Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 790990 times)

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
You guys are overreacting with the "ads everywhere" rants. I've seen a few TINY ads in the lower right corner of the menu, the rest is space for game promotions.
I just have to laugh at this.  Your "game promotions" are another term for ad.  It is advertising the game, same way you advertise another product.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
So I should be complaining that microsoft is showing me content avaible within the device.

Smh
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
So I should be complaining that microsoft is showing me content avaible within the device.

Smh
If you want.  That's your choice.  I was just stating a fact.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
I understand. But I don't see the problem with it. There are non xbox related ads I hate, but things like telling me what new game is out or what new movie is out is a plus.

I just find it odd that people complain about that but then complain about how console makers don't market games enough.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
I understand. But I don't see the problem with it. There are non xbox related ads I hate, but things like telling me what new game is out or what new movie is out is a plus.

I just find it odd that people complain about that but then complain about how console makers don't market games enough.
Never said it was a problem.  Just stating that they are ads.  And ad does not have to be a bad thing, especially when it's in the right situation.  Without ads, most people would never know about new products.  If Coke stopped advertising, do you think it'd stay one of the top two soda products?  I enjoy seeing game commercials, but they are ads as well.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
sry thought you were implying ad's as bad.
Any who these are pictures of the new Dashboard UI. sorry for the crappy quality as I took them with my 3DS. (all other cameras were out)

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=EB6AF1AFF832E02D!211
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=EB6AF1AFF832E02D!212

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'm considering the game and content promotion as ads. For games it's not really an issue, but I get annoyed by all the cross promotion of media stuff that I am not remotely interested in. Really, I want the ability to turn that off without keeping the system offline. I paid for the console, and its the absolute last way I'd ever search for information, so I resent having ads for Battleship avatar hats and ESPN in my face. If Xbox Live was free, on the other hand, there wouldn't really be any room for complaint. 

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'm considering the game and content promotion as ads. For games it's not really an issue, but I get annoyed by all the cross promotion of media stuff that I am not remotely interested in. Really, I want the ability to turn that off without keeping the system offline. I paid for the console, and its the absolute last way I'd ever search for information, so I resent having ads for Battleship avatar hats and ESPN in my face. If Xbox Live was free, on the other hand, there wouldn't really be any room for complaint.

I understand where your coming from. You just want something tailored to your tastes. Like somehow removing all the other tabs expect gaming and stuff that intrest you. While I use all of the different hubs and don't mind those as I use all of them at somepoint during the week.
hopefully the Xbox 720 dashboard will allow for more customization like the Win8 and WP8 homescreens do.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
*Cough*Steam*Cough*.

Steam pretty much destroys the whole "Ads everywhere" idea. There is a nice Ad that pops up with specials and new releases, but you can turn it off. The only time you see an actual Ad besides that is when you head into the store, where the bloody Ads belong, advertising Games.

The more they push rubbish like Xbox Live and it's PC counterpart, the further I run. Ads in an operating system is like having a Clippy, but even more asinine. It doesn't belong. Normally Ads that get built into an operating system is considered malware or bloatware. I don't see why it is anymore acceptable on a console.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
But its all content that is on the xbox.

Its like complaining about the nexus 7 default homescreen.

Take yesterday. I turned on my xbox and one of the "ads" on the home tab was for the new mass effect dlc.  I thought it was out next month but it was this week. Threw $10 on my account and bought it.

Just think its a waste of enegry to get in a tiff about it. When I start seeing ads on windows I'll be somewhat worried, and even then the general public probaby doesn't care

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
The PSN store also has ads. I don't think there's going to be any way to avoid them. This is the future of console gaming...
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I'm sorry, but ads on the console are the best way to find out about stuff. I don't see what the big deal is. We complained about Nintendo not promoting their online wares, and the solution to that was ads. I'm sorry if you don't like what's being advertised to you, but at least you can know it's there. If you have a friend on the fence about buying a console, he might see it and buy one. I didn't even know about NFL Blitz before I saw an ad for it on my Xbox, and it because the only thing I played on the system for a while.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
I don't mind ads, as long as you leave it inside the store where it belongs. Not the first thing you see one the console when you boot up to the dashboard.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I dunno. Something has to MAKE me go to the store. Otherwise, I'll just boot up, play my game, and go do other stuff. As long as they aren't selling Mountain Dew or home mortgages or ****, I'm fine. Just a quick "HEY! Here's what's new in the store!" is all I need.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
What makes you go into the store is that every couple of days there is something new there. In the Case of Nintendo on the 3DS, you know it's every week on Thursday and all the new stuff is sorted in the "News" section. Steam is very good at this with specials in the off season, so you pop in once in a while have a look, check out your wish list and it tells you if they are running a special on anything on it.

I actually use the Steam RSS feed. Using this method, it takes me 5 seconds to skim however many items and dismiss them forever with 2 right clicks. No fuss, no muss. Quite frankly the adverting on consoles is equal parts clumsy and obnoxious, but it's somewhat reflective of the operating system.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
But the average person doesn't use an RSS feed. (Or not in the tradtional sense) or use steam for that matter.

While you may may dislke it for most people its more of a plus. But I di understand where you are coming from in that you only want to see what you have.

Eh guess I'd rather just have that stuff on my homescreen. One of the things I like about the comixology windows 8 live tile is that it currently just shows different series but after the offical launch with the store the live tile will cycle showing new comics and sales for the week.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
*Cough*Steam*Cough*.

Steam pretty much destroys the whole "Ads everywhere" idea. There is a nice Ad that pops up with specials and new releases, but you can turn it off. The only time you see an actual Ad besides that is when you head into the store, where the bloody Ads belong, advertising Games.

The more they push rubbish like Xbox Live and it's PC counterpart, the further I run. Ads in an operating system is like having a Clippy, but even more asinine. It doesn't belong. Normally Ads that get built into an operating system is considered malware or bloatware. I don't see why it is anymore acceptable on a console.
I chose to read this as Oohboy would prefer Clippit in the XBox 720.

"I see you died 10 times N00b.  Would you like some help?"
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
What the hell is this thread about?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
What the hell is this thread about?
It was about rumors for the next Xbox system.

shingi has turned it into an advertisement for Windows 8 and the newest 360 dashboard interface.  I think he does that because he believes that the next Xbox will have a lot in common with Windows 8.

Everyone else is stating they don't want ads on their consoles unless they specifically turn them on.  Shingi and nickmitch like them there because they help tell them about upcoming games.  Others will say that's fine if you choose to turn them on but there should be a way to turn them off it you want.

I prefer them off.  I always check the playstation blog for what new stuff comes each Tuesday, so having ads anywhere but the PSN store is just an annoyance.  I think that's why I prefer the PS3 interface.  The only "ad" is the ticker feed at the top right of the screen that is barely noticeable and cycles through a couple of items.  Or you can choose to click on the PS Store button to check out the new games.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
I didn't mean literally.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
I didn't mean literally.
Figuratively it's shingi's love affair with Microsoft.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Is there any worry that Microsoft may be exhibiting something similar to Sony's too-many-departments-in-one-product effect? I mean, I think one of the main criticisms leveled at Sony's hardware is that they seem to be developed to serve too many masters, and too many consumer uses. With some of the rumblings about major swaths of X720 functionality being focused on non-gaming stuff, and worries about Windows 8 really affecting the 720's setup, does anyone think the 720 might start to resemble the PS3 or Vita in the sense that a lot of it is built for reasons OTHER than gaming?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Shingi loves Micrsoft like Kairon loves crying.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Shingi loves Micrsoft like Kairon loves crying.

Or like how you love poop tacos? :P
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Not even close.