Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791008 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Nokia will continue to support Symbian until at least 2016, though they will support Windows Phone too and use them primarily. And where did I said it's a big threat NOW? All I was doing was pointing out that at one point just 3 years ago it was the most popular OS in the world and that they are worldwide (not just in Europe like you claimed).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
If Symbian really was that popular, then you'd see more apps and games on it, and not Windows Phone and Android.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
The most popular smartphones (Samsung and HTC) use Android

The most popular smartphone is the iPhone. Android as a platform has greater market share, but that's spread across dozens of phones.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
The most popular smartphones (Samsung and HTC) use Android

The most popular smartphone is the iPhone. Android as a platform has greater market share, but that's spread across dozens of phones.

I meant smartphones as in the companies making them. Samsung, HTC, LG, etc. all use Android. iPhone is just one device made by one company (Apple). All of the Android and Windows smartphones are competing against iOS/Apple, and they are competing amongst themselves.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
If Symbian really was that popular, then you'd see more apps and games on it, and not Windows Phone and Android.

Again, I said it WAS popular. This is not disputed, it had 42% of the market in 2009. I am sure app support has something to do with it, and why Windows Phone will never threaten iOS and Android unless it gets improved app support.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile

Again, I said it WAS popular. This is not disputed, it had 42% of the market in 2009. I am sure app support has something to do with it, and why Windows Phone will never threaten iOS and Android unless it gets improved app support.

Windows Phone is becoming increasingly popular, and is getting more support leading up to the big release of Windows 8. I just read an article about Symbian (now called "Belle"), and basically everyone has abandoned it in favor of Android and Windows Phone. I don't care about the marketshare from 3 years ago, that's irrelevant, and has nothing to do with how popular it is today. As far as support goes, Windows Phone has more developer support than Blackberry and Symbian/Belle. Most of the apps made for iOS and Android are also being made for Windows Phone.

You can hate on Microsoft and dismiss their achievements all you want, but they are preparing for an onslaught of marketing this fall, and they are going to heavily push Windows 8, Windows Phone, and the whole Metro interface. Microsoft is aiming for complete convergence, where apps and software are shared between devices and the "cloud" (SkyDrive).

Microsoft has the money, resources, and manpower to make Windows Phone a success. They did it with Windows PC, Office, and Xbox.

Google's advantage is that everyone uses their search engine, and they make a shitton of money from internet ads and revenue. The main problem with Android is that it's so fragmented, there is a large gap between users who have the latest version, and those that are using older versions. Google has been doing a terrible job sending updates to users, relying on carriers to do the job for them. Apple releases their updates in a timely manner, and it's easy to update just by syncing to a PC and logging into iTunes.

And pretty much everyone is calling Blackberry/RIM a sinking ship. The company is losing a ton of money, and their management is in shambles. Blackberry is primarily a business phone, but a majority of people have switched to the iPhone or an Android device. RIM lost the opportunity to fight Apple and Google with a mass-market device, and they are now facing the consequences.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:21:33 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
AGAIN, where did I claim Symbian is relevant now? All I said was that more Symbian phones were sold in Q2 (April-June) than Windows Phone. And Windows Phone getting most of the same apps as iOS and Android? iOS has over 700K apps, Windows Phone just crossed 100K. In a poll of mobile app developers, 37% said they were supporting Windows Phone (vs. 76% for Android and 66% for iOS). Can Windows Phone become a success? Sure, we have seen how in just 3 years Symbian went from 42% to about 4% while Android came onto the scene with a whopping 68%. Windows Phone is growing, but just very slowly and the most popular apps aren't on it or tend to come later than the iOS/Android versions (for example, the most popular mobile game ever is Angry Birds Space, which is on iOS, Android, PC, and Mac. But not Windows Phone).

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
AGAIN, where did I claim Symbian is relevant now? All I said was that more Symbian phones were sold in Q2 (April-June) than Windows Phone. And Windows Phone getting most of the same apps as iOS and Android? iOS has over 700K apps, Windows Phone just crossed 100K. In a poll of mobile app developers, 37% said they were supporting Windows Phone (vs. 76% for Android and 66% for iOS). Can Windows Phone become a success? Sure, we have seen how in just 3 years Symbian went from 42% to about 4% while Android came onto the scene with a whopping 68%. Windows Phone is growing, but just very slowly and the most popular apps aren't on it or tend to come later than the iOS/Android versions (for example, the most popular mobile game ever is Angry Birds Space, which is on iOS, Android, PC, and Mac. But not Windows Phone).

Do you think Blackberry will ever make a comeback? Or is that pretty much dead?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
It's declining (can't be considered dead, unless you want to say Windows Phone is too since BlackBerry is still outselling it), I don't see it improving anytime soon. RIM would have to mae drastic changes to have a chance.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
It's declining (can't be considered dead, unless you want to say Windows Phone is too since BlackBerry is still outselling it), I don't see it improving anytime soon. RIM would have to mae drastic changes to have a chance.

Blackberry may be outselling Windows Phone, but Windows Phone still has more developer support. So which is more important, consumer sales or developer support? Look at the Wii, it had the most sales this gen, but had the worst developer support.

This conversation is getting old, by the way, so just answer that last question and then I'll go back to talking about the "Xbox 720".
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:03:51 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
You know I don't understand that since XNA could be used and that can be used by Window and Windows Phone.  Heck even Xbox.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
You know I don't understand that since XNA could be used and that can be used by Window and Windows Phone.  Heck even Xbox.

The point of my whole argument was that Microsoft has A LOT riding on the success of their new Metro interface. They completely redesigned Windows 8 and the Xbox 360 Dashboard to accommodate Metro. If it fails, then Microsoft will be in a ton of trouble.

Microsoft wants users to have a similar experience regardless of the device they're using, whether it's an Xbox, PC, tablet, or smartphone. I believe it's a concept called "convergence". Apple is doing the same thing with iOS and Mac OS X.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Apple's not going as far in that direction as Microsoft is. Apple realizes that desktop and mobile are separate experiences and should be suited to their respective interfaces. Metro, or whatever they're going to end up calling it now that they can't call it that, sucks on the 360, and isn't really optimal with a mouse. On a touch device like a phone or tablet it works well, but Microsoft's trying too hard to shoehorn it everywhere.

J.P. Corbran

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
I've used Metro on the Xbox 360 and it's a lot better than what the PS3 has. The Metro interface feels lively and interactive, unlike that boring XMB **** on the PS3.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
It's not Metro, so it's wrong to call it that. For now, Microsoft is calling it Windows 8 Interface. The OS on Xbox 360 sucks now and is shitty (it's also slower than before, and things are not organized well). I don't really like the XMB either.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I've used Metro on the Xbox 360 and it's a lot better than what the PS3 has.

I could not disagree more. Metro may look nice, but it's awful to navigate with a gamepad. Conversely, the XMB may not be pretty, but it's very easy and quick to get around.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
I have the Heavy Rain dynamic theme and I think that it looks really nice. And easy to navigate.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Linux? They make smartphone OS's now?

FYI, Android is based off Linux and uses the Linux kernel.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
I've used Metro on the Xbox 360 and it's a lot better than what the PS3 has.

I could not disagree more. Metro may look nice, but it's awful to navigate with a gamepad. Conversely, the XMB may not be pretty, but it's very easy and quick to get around.
I have to agree.  XMB is Functional and works well.  Is it pretty not really but its functional and thats what a menu system should be.  Metro on Phone 7 Functional and perfectly suited.    On the 360 from what I've seen not so much.  On the PC well thats sort of mix.  My main machine was Win 8 for a month or so, that machine still is, and I can say that its functional with a keyboard and mouse.  You still have you desktop so the Metro stuff became an uber Start menu.  Which it does a good job with.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Metro is better than xmb because you can control it with voice and motion. I bought the latest episoide of the walking dead game without touching my controller. Voice search is awesome.

And I'm in the beta for the new dashboard and they fixed us usability with a controller. (Though it isn't hard just to press the rb and lb to get around.  Will post pictures later.

And nokia has started teasing its next windows phone stuff and more windows 8 devices are going to be announced at ifa berlin this week.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
I'm hoping they finally release another Slider Phone because my wife prefers the Physical keyboard.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
I hate Metro. I get why it would be an effective design for a phone/small tablet interface, but its brazen disavowal of negative space creates a jumbled eyesore on the 360 dashboard. Can't imagine it's not going to be similarly obnoxious on a desktop. It also just strikes me in general as a design solution that answered the question "How can we differentiate ourselves from Apple while also jamming advertisements in every which way?"

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Yeah, I don't know why the didn't fill the screen edge to edge on the 360 version as the do on Phones.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
You guys are overreacting with the "ads everywhere" rants. I've seen a few TINY ads in the lower right corner of the menu, the rest is space for game promotions.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Well quite a few windows devices and news were announced.

First off Unreal Engine 3 has been confrimed to be working with WinRT and the metro development cycle.

http://m.engadget.com/2012/08/29/nvidia-epic-unreal-engine-windows-rt/?icid=eng_latest_art

Samsung also announced a few devices starting with the Windows Phone 8 Ativ-s.

Inside the crazy-thin 8.7mm brushed aluminum chassis is a huge 4.8†HD Super AMOLED display made from Corning Gorilla Glass 2 (read: tough to break, but still light)and a rundown of killer specs: 1.5Ghz dual-core processor, 1GB of onboard RAM, and an 8MP autofocus rear camera and 1.9MP front-facing camera. You’ll have the choice of two storage capacities – 16GB or 32GB – and both models have a MicroSD slot for expanded storage. Backing all of this up is a massive 2300mAh battery to keep you rocking all day.

Ativ PC and PC pro

The difference between the two tablets lies in the processors inside: the Smart PC runs an Intel Atom chip, while the Smart PC Pro uses the more powerful Intel Core i5 processor. The Pro also has more storage (256GB SSD vs. 128GB flash memory), more RAM (4GB vs. 2GB), and a USB 3.0 port in place of the Smart PC's lone USB 2.0 port. The Smart PC is slightly thinner than the Pro — 9.9mm vs. 11.9mm — and it gets 13.5 hours of battery life compared to the Pro's eight hours. Both tablets come with microHDMI ports and miniSD card slots, and the keyboard docks include two extra USB 2.0 ports.

The Ativ Smart PC and Smart PC Pro run Windows 8 and support Samsung's S Pen input device with 1,024 levels of pressure sensitivity. They come preloaded with Samsung's S Note app that works with the S Pen and support 10-finger multitouch on their HD displays.

Ativ TAb

the product is officially named the Samsung ATIV Tab. In terms of specs, we've learned that the device will be powered by a 1.5GHz dual-core processor and 2GB of RAM, with a mid-size 8,200mAh battery keeping everything going. Its 10.1-inch display will offer a resolution of 1366 x 768, and users will have a choice of either 32GB or 64GB of internal storage.

Alongside the standard Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0, the ATIV Tab will provide connectivity through a USB 2.0 port and NFC. The unit as a whole weights in at 570g and measures 0.35 inches at its thickest point.

As well new windows 8 versions of their current laptop line up.

From Asus we got

The Vivo tab and VivoRt

Asus has revealed today that it has renamed its Asus Tablet 600 and Asus Tablet 810 models into a new Vivo Tab range. The Tablet 600, which runs Windows RT and includes an Nvidia Tegra 3 CPU, will now be known as the Vivo Tab RT without any specification changes from what was announced at Computex earlier this year.

The Tablet 810, which includes an Intel Atom processor and runs Windows 8, will now be known as the Vivo Tab. Again, Asus hasn't tweaked the specifications here. Both tablets will include a Transformer-like dock that features keyboard, trackpad, a second battery, and room for two USB ports. Asus isn't revealing pricing or availability for either models

And a new Zenbook

Asus has expanded its Zenbook laptop line in more ways than one with the announcement of the U500VZ, a large model with a 15-inch screen and full numpad. Featuring an Intel Core i7 processor as standard, the U500VZ offers a number of customization options, with users able to choose between dual SSDs with a capacity of up to 512GB or a combination of a 128GB SSD and a 500GB HDD

From Sony we have

The sony vaio 11

It's got a pressure-sensitive digitizer with a choice of two pen tips for writing feel, an 11.6-inch 1920 x 1080 "OptiContrast" panel, 4GB or 8GB of RAM, and a 128GB or 256GB SSD stuffed into a shell that measures 17.85mm when collapsed and weighs 1.3 kilograms (about 2.9 pounds) — a little heavier than the Surface for Windows 8 Pro's 1.99 pounds.

Speaking of Windows 8 Pro, the Duo 11 is a Pro device, carrying an Intel Core i7, i5, or i3 processor depending on configuration — there's no Windows RT here and no sign that Sony is planning an RT variant (yet). Look for it to launch in late October, just in time to capture the first wave of Windows 8 retail launches.

The vaio tap 20

Pretty much a coffe table style panel running windows 8

And Nokia is teasing about its windows phone event next week. All bets are on a pureview windows phone.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70