Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791043 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Does Chozo Ghost want the Next Xbox to fail?

If you have to pay to play it online, sure.

I wouldn't be suprised if sony decided to charge for online next gen.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
They'd have to fix it first.

But seriously, I think the margins are getting a little thin for Sony, so adding the revenue stream is a bit of a no brainer.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
AAA is a generic buzz word, i think we had this discussion in another thread recently.

I don't think that discussion had a very satisfying conclusion on the definition though.

Edit: Context.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 12:46:57 AM by nickmitch »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Does Chozo Ghost want the Next Xbox to fail?

If you have to pay to play it online, sure.

I wouldn't be suprised if sony decided to charge for online next gen.

I hope both of them do. Then its more business for Nintendo (assuming Nintendo keeps it free).
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Sony's not in a position to charge for online. Their service isn't good enough or popular enough to ever be viable that way. Microsoft only gets away with it because they have the dominant console with the most popular online service. It's way more likely that Microsoft stops charging than Sony starting to.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I think Sony still has time to get its **** together and make a product worth paying for. It's just gonna be damn neat impossible to convince people that there won't be outages for weeks on end.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Sony's not in a position to charge for online. Their service isn't good enough or popular enough to ever be viable that way. Microsoft only gets away with it because they have the dominant console with the most popular online service. It's way more likely that Microsoft stops charging than Sony starting to.

Microsoft has been charging for Xbox Live ever since the service started in 2002. It had/has nothing to do with them having the most popular game system, because at that time, the PS2 was dominant.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
I think Sony still has time to get its **** together and make a product worth paying for. It's just gonna be damn neat impossible to convince people that there won't be outages for weeks on end.

What makes you think the PS3 isn't worth paying for? It's the same price as an Xbox 360, it comes with a hard drive as standard, it has a majority of the same 3rd-party games, it has more 1st-party games. The only thing lacking is PSN,  but that's quickly catching up to Xbox Live.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile

Microsoft has been charging for Xbox Live ever since the service started in 2002. It had/has nothing to do with them having the most popular game system, because at that time, the PS2 was dominant.

They got away with it then because of the novelty and because Sony's system was terrible and Nintendo's nonexistant. The market changed, other services began to catch up, and now they get away with it for the reasons I said. The market now is different from where it was when Xbox Live started, and it will likely be even more different a few years from now.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
If Sony charged for online they would roll Playstation Plus into it, so it would be worth paying for because you would also get the stuff that comes with plus. They could also do what Microsoft does and create a stripped down basic membership thing which excludes online play and pretty much everything else, except letting you chat with people.
is your sanity...

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
If Sony charged for online they would roll Playstation Plus into it, so it would be worth paying for because you would also get the stuff that comes with plus. They could also do what Microsoft does and create a stripped down basic membership thing which excludes online play and pretty much everything else, except letting you chat with people.

But the basic PSN service is already free, and it includes online gaming as a standard feature. Why would Sony remove online gaming from their free PSN service? PS Plus is just icing on the cake, and those "free" games are just incentives to pay for PS Plus. Sony doesn't need to change anything. People don't want to pay a subscription to play online games. That's another reason why so many MMO's are becoming free now. Xbox Live is an exception, because Microsoft was the first to charge for online gaming, and they got away with it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
Why would Sony remove online gaming from their free PSN service?

You don't get how the world works, do you?

To put it simply: Money.
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile

But SONY had basically no online system and you had to buy an adapter. Xbox Live was superior from the start.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

What makes you think the PS3 isn't worth paying for? It's the same price as an Xbox 360, it comes with a hard drive as standard, it has a majority of the same 3rd-party games, it has more 1st-party games. The only thing lacking is PSN,  but that's quickly catching up to Xbox Live.

I was talking about PSN as a product worth paying for. I actually own a PS3.

The only reason PSN is free now is to give it an advantage over Xbox Live. Next gen, Sony might not need that edge.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Xbox Live costing money is bullshit to begin with; for Sony to start charging for an inferior and far less popular service would be ridiculous. The PlayStation Plus model is working for them, and there's no reason to piss people off by charging for features that should be free.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
But is it working for them? Isn't the Vita seriously hurting their bottom line right now? They have to be looking for more sources of revenue for the next gen. I don't think they'd ever charge for PSN as it is today, but next gen could be different.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
You know I still ask the question, why did Microsoft have the best online experience? 

Fast downloads, Great connection speeds, a robust voice chat system and everything.  Sony and Nintendo could never compete with it. 

Perhaps its because that money people paid for online went to providing more server support, bandwidth, and infrastrucute to have a quality online experience.  Look I don't want to spend money to play online, but Microsoft provided a reasonable priced high quality service.  Sometimes that is worth paying for.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
I'd be fine paying Nintendo $50 a year to have a subscription based online service/infrastructure that's as well-polished as Xbox Live.

Here's my money, Nintendo. You can have it.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Xbox Live is the best, and it costs money, but it's not the best because it costs money. Its primary advantages are in the features it provides. The actual connections are almost always peer-to-peer and not dedicated servers, so it's basically the same way the Wii does it just with better netcode. Also, Steam does essentially everything Xbox Live does at least as well as Xbox Live and is free.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Steam is free except for all the games you buy on it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Xbox Live is $50 a year plus the cost of all the games you have to buy to play on it. Microsoft, like Valve with Steam, gets a cut of every game bought on the system, and should view the social features as a means of attracting gamers to the system rather than another revenue source. Steam also lets you use the social aspects of it in games not purchased through it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
But brah attracting customers is an added revenue stream.

Don't have cable currently and the Xbox allows me to view ESPN3 content for free and in the fall its going to be all espn streamed content. That alone is worth $50 to me and that's not considering the other serives on the console.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Xbox Live is the reason why MS continues to push GFWL and it's current reincarnation on Windows 8. They wish to charge for a service that has been historically free to use and community operated. MS got away with in on the Xbox by offering a service that was standard elsewhere to the consoles where there were none. That is no longer the case and at this point you are throwing free money at them for what is the lowest effort service.

As for the ESPN service, I am pretty sure that you don't need an Xbox for it. That took me 5 seconds to find. Your computer or that tablet you insist on writing your posts on has the service you want in one form or another like the app maybe. I don't know, I don't give a **** about sports, but I know this, you're pretty much paying $50 for the privilege of getting ripped off.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop

As for the ESPN service, I am pretty sure that you don't need an Xbox for it. That took me 5 seconds to find.

Not all people are OK with watching things illegally.

Xbox Live Gold is worth $50 a year because of how good it is, though if you don't play online then I can see why you wouldn't subscribe.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
I'd rather cut the cord legally instead of being one of the reasons why companies are tighting their vice grip.  Plus with that I can't look at past games and highlights as well as setting reminders for what I want and having a feed of my favorite sports.

Also I'll never get the uber nerdy thing of "hur hur" Why use an xbox swhen you can watch it on your pc or ipad. Why wouldn't I want to watch TV content on a bigger screen given the chance (ppi be damned). Also using stuff like a htpc sucks because the interface isn't desgined for TV in mind like the apps are on home devices.

Plus there is a rumor going around about xbox live getting updated again with a third teir that's $qpp. Its supposed to include a year of xbox music along with the gaming stuff and maybe a sub to a TV show.

Also Xbox live on Windows 8 is free and really good.