Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791017 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
True. And on a semi-related note, I'm personally amazed that the Wii still costs what, like $150 despite the fact that it costs Nintendo a banana and a handful of sand to manufacture those things.

It's because even though Wii sales are down from what they used to, they're still higher then what any other Nintendo system was selling at this point in their lives.  Hell, the Wii sold over 200k last month and it's in its 6th year with a successor coming in the future.  The Gamecube and N64 were both selling less then 100k per month in only their 5th year and they were less then $100 at that time as well.

Just goes to show just how much stronger Nintendo has made themselves this last gen thanks to the DS and Wii.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Yeah, the Wii's not doing so bad. I don't think it'll keep sales afloat as long as the PS2 did, but it's still Nintendo's best selling home console... ever.

I also personally think that both Nintendo's decision to continue doing pack-ins, basically ensuring each console sale is a first-party software sale as well, is keeping the price up. After all, the special edition Blue consoles last fall had no game and were at $99.

As for the $360, it's actually only now coming into its own, been topping monthly npd hardware sales, perhaps helped by momentum driven by kinect. I can see why MS wouldn't want to talk about the 720 at this year's E3 if true, it would dampen current profitable sales, and it isn't strictly necessary to do even if they want to launch the 720 in 2013. Let's not forget, this is the first time ever MS is starting to make some progress at earning back some of that money ($10 billion?) they poured into their XBox gaming division. I don't think I can blame them for wanting to keep enjoying that profitability before they commit once again to a major console investment.

With a 2013 launch, and Wii U defining features known in 2011, my wonder is how much MS copies, or even improves, Nintendo's feature set with the 720. On the one hand, this would help Nintendo because shared features might validate Nintendo and help porting between the two platforms. On the other hand, if third parties and third party gamers choose to treat their console support options as an "either/or" instead of an "and" choice, the 720 might have a clear advantage over Nintendo.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
True. And on a semi-related note, I'm personally amazed that the Wii still costs what, like $150 despite the fact that it costs Nintendo a banana and a handful of sand to manufacture those things.

*lengthy explanation*

You responded seriously to a post claiming that Nintendo currently manufactures the Wii at a cost of a single banana and a handful of sand. Bravo, Luigi Dude. Bravo.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile

You responded seriously to a post claiming that Nintendo currently manufactures the Wii at a cost of a single banana and a handful of sand. Bravo, Luigi Dude. Bravo.

I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Well played, sir.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Isn't that Kytim?
is your sanity...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
He's looking surprisingly pimp for a guy who is twice the man I am.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
I just wanna remind you guys that I had it written on a napkin (by the same person that fed me RE6 on Wii U) that X720 aka "Durango" isn't coming till 2014, and PS3 is supposed to be 2013.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg721397;topicseen#msg721397
so take that how you will, but I would suggest a spoonful of sugar salt.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:46:10 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
I just wanna remind you guys that I had it written on a napkin (by the same person that fed me RE6 on Wii U) that X720 aka "Durango" isn't coming till 2014, and PS3 is supposed to be 2013.

That would be the opposite of what I think all of us had been assuming. If that's really the case, then maybe the real danger to Nintendo is Sony unveiling the PS4 at this year's E3 and raining on their parade.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Isn't that Kytim?

I knew that I should not have posted my picture on the internet.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg721397;topicseen#msg721397

Wow, that's so opposite of what seems to me to be the prevailing opinion right now!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
It's the opposite of what I had thought too, that's why I almost didn't post it.

there might be something more to it, but we'll have to wait and see ;)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I think we won't see the NexBox but, I do think we will see a New 360 that is missing the Optical drive and is download only.  It will come with Kinect and a few Kinect games pre-loaded.  Also Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc will also be preloaded.  It may even have provisions to add your own external drive.  Maybe even Blu-Ray.  I also see the introduction of a few more Media Center items integrated in.  Maybe to the point of DVR Functionality.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
It takes an insane amount of hubris to launch (presumably) 2 years after the current market leader and a whole year after another competitor who previously launched a year after but still made a pretty valiant effort catching up in sales. There aren't a lot of advantages to launching last. All 3 consoles are going to share 3rd party support with 1st party titles making up the vast majority of exclusives.

I suppose Microsoft could launch in say March but that means they still launch last and after the holiday season when both Nintendo and Sony didn't. I'm not sure I believe it... but I choose to believe RE6 on Wii U part because that's just awesome.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
The 360 is still selling very well at its current price, so Microsoft doesn't have much reason to drop it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
There aren't a lot of advantages to launching last.

There's only one advantage I can think of, and that would be that by being last you get to make use of the latest tech which means you can have the most powerful hardware. But history has shown this one advantage usually doesn't offset the disadvantage of being last.

In many ways you could compare the NeXbox420 to the Nintendo64. Nintendo was the last to enter the 32-bit era, and actually they didn't even enter it at all, because they leapfrogged it with a 64-bit system. The Nintendo64 was the most powerful system of its day, but it never came close to catching up with the PS1 (although it did beat the Saturn at least).

From the rumors we are hearing, the 420 may be cartridge based, which is something we haven't seen in any console since the N64. So maybe the 420 will leapfrog the WiiU and PS4 and be twice as powerful as either of them, just like how the N64 was twice as powerful as its peers, and also cartridge based. Does this mean 420 carts will be priced $79.99 and that Microsoft will lose much of its 3rd party support like Nintendo did? That remains to be seen, but history may well be about to repeat itself.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
There's only one advantage I can think of, and that would be that by being last you get to make use of the latest tech which means you can have the most powerful hardware. But history has shown this one advantage usually doesn't offset the disadvantage of being last.
Especially since, as previously stated, 3rd party titles will mostly be multiplatform so even with more powerful hardware, I'm not convinced that there will be many 3rd party developers tapping into that extra power.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Of course, if Nintendo is a first-mover, there may be a wider gulf of tech you can take advantage of if you launch after them. Don't get me wrong Nintendo makes good tech, but I don't think they're likely to push the envelope so bleeding hard as MS pushed it with the 360. If there's one company I'd like to launch after on a purely technological arms race level, it'd be today's Nintendo because then I can copy their new features and they're not as likely to pace so far ahead in terms of pure brute force.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Xbox 720 = 4-6core CPU, Dual GPU, Kinect Standard and Always On Connection Required?
I swear we've heard this one before....
http://ht.ly/a1eSh <---VG24/7

VG247 has learned that Microsoft has now detailed Xbox 720 to certain partners and has internally confirmed the machine for a Christmas 2013 release.

The next generation Xbox will have a Blu-ray drive, contrary to a recent report.

Multiple sources have confirmed this morning that the machine will have two GPUs. One said: “It’s like two PCs taped together.”

We’re waiting for final confirmation of specs, but the graphics cards are thought to be equivalent to AMD’s 7000 series GPUs, but “not CrossFire or SLI”. The GPUs aren’t structured as they are in a normal dual PC set-up, in which the two chips take it in turns to draw lines of the same object: Xbox 720′s graphics units will be able to work independently, drawing separate items simultaneously.
There will be “four or six” cores to the Xbox 720 CPU, one of which will be reserved for Kinect and one for the OS.

Xbox 720 will require an always-on internet connection as an anti-piracy measure.

We’ve also been told that the next generation of Kinect will be built into the device as standard.

$599 US Dolla!?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Having a Blu-ray Disc Drive is bigger news than Kinect IMO.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I refuse to believe that they're stupid enough to require always-on internet until and unless they come out and announce it themselves. That might reduce piracy, but not nearly as much as it would reduce sales.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
I refuse to believe that they're stupid enough to require always-on internet until and unless they come out and announce it themselves. That might reduce piracy, but not nearly as much as it would reduce sales.

Well, Activision Blizzard is doing that for games like Diablo III, so Microsoft wouldn't be the first to do it. Still a stupid idea for any company though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
We're talking about Microsoft right? The only company to not have a wireless card come standard? Also, the company that asked you to pay $100 if you wanted to buy one.

They're also the company with a giant 'Ghostbusters' brick attached to their console, to trap the ghosts of all RROD machines just before they ascend to the heavens.

We're talking about that Microsoft right?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile

Well, Activision Blizzard is doing that for games like Diablo III, so Microsoft wouldn't be the first to do it. Still a stupid idea for any company though.

It's somewhat common on PC, but to do it on a console, and to require it for everything, can't not backfire, especially when your competition doesn't do that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
yeah, it's one thing to do it on a PC where 90% of games probably downloaded the game in the first place, meaning they have an online connection to their PC. Vs a home console that is at best wired in 10% of homes and maybe connected wirelessly in another 35-40% of them.

Wireless modems are becoming very common, but just like HDMI cables for your Bluray playing HD gaming machine connected to that 55" LED, hardly anyone that has the capability is aware of how to use it correctly. (I have a friend that has his PS3 connected to his 55" LED with composite cables.... not even component, but the composite cables the PS3 came with).

His Wii wouldn't be online if I hadn't bought him a wireless modem and set it up for him... as a matter of fact, he probably wouldn't have been online at all if I hadn't set up his computer for him either.