Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791091 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
A Roku box, which is about the closest equivalent, isn't that much cheaper. The AirPlay functionality is the reason to own it, as nothing else can do that, and it comes in really handy sometimes. I use it with the MLS Match Day Live app on my iPad to watch Sounders games on TV without the hassle of wiring my computer to it. The iPad 2 supports universal screen mirroring, which could have tons of uses, and if I remember correctly I think that capability is coming to OS X at some point.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Just because Apple doesn't have a good track record with games doesn't mean they couldn't make it happen. Things change, after all.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
When I said rumors about an Apple TV, I was not talking about that little box that streams content from iTunes. I was talking about Apple making an actual HDTV.

I'm gonna go dig up the rumors in a little bit and make a new thread.

I made a new thread for it.

Apple's HD iTV (would you want an Apple HDTV?)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:47:57 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Microsoft to copy Nintendo.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/02/10/report-xbox-720-to-use-touchscreen-controller

According to a report from Xbox World magazine, the controller will be "an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks." The magazine goes on to state that the controller “could be a remote control when you're watching TV, a browser when you're on the internet, extra buttons and information when you're playing a game or a portable display when you want to take your game with you."

I wouldn't be surprised at all. But if it does turn out to be true, I would have wished for Sony and Microsoft to come up with something new that was unique.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:52:58 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Already posted about it on the last page (with the original source ;)). It's what led into the apple talk.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=32855.msg718448#msg718448

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Already posted about it on the last page (with the original source ;) ). It's what led into the apple talk.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=32855.msg718448#msg718448

Upstage me will ya?!

Come over my house again! I dare you...

Edit:
Man how didn't I notice that? You win, you always win. :(

Edit again:
Now I see why I didn't notice, how come no one's talking about it? When all 3 systems come with it will all the haters just not buy anything?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:38:22 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
Microsoft to copy Nintendo.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/02/10/report-xbox-720-to-use-touchscreen-controller

According to a report from Xbox World magazine, the controller will be "an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks." The magazine goes on to state that the controller “could be a remote control when you're watching TV, a browser when you're on the internet, extra buttons and information when you're playing a game or a portable display when you want to take your game with you."

I wouldn't be surprised at all. But if it does turn out to be true, I would have wished for Sony and Microsoft to come up with something new that was unique.

This is precisely why Nintendo shouldn't have unveiled the tablet controller 1 and a half years in advance. They should have kept it secret and then only unveiled it at E3 this year. That way the competition wouldn't have had such a huge head start to start copying it.
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
They're still launching first.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
They're still launching first.

Yeah, but that means probably a 1 year advantage at best, and possibly even less than that because we don't know exactly when the PS420 will appear. At least with Move/Kinect it took 3-4 years before the innovation was copied. The problem is now everyone knows the PS420 is going to have a tablet controller even BEFORE the WiiU has launched. That's just as shitty as when Capcom announced RE4 was coming to the PS2 even BEFORE it was released on the GC. Losing exclusivity is bad enough, but its even worse when the competition announces they are stealing your thing even before your thing has hit the shelves.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I'm pretty confident that whatever other Tablet controller is put out it will not be as thought out as Nintendo's.  Though It will probably have multi-touch.

On the Flipside though If MS has a tablet controller as well you couldn't blame Nintendo on being weird with there controller.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
This makes me think that there's something special about Wii U and/or the controller that Nintendo hasn't revealed yet. Why give Sony and Microsoft a year and a half head start on ganking their ideas?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I really hoping that Nintendo was pretty confident with all their patents and that is part of the reason why they put it out there so early.
I'm hoping that they were baiting Sony & MS to follow their lead on this one only to find out that they would need to make some very serious and extremely expensive changes to achieve the same or better results.

Such as MS having a tablet controller might actually need to be a stand alone tablet which will run you at minimum $100 in manufacturing especially with an HD (720p) screen and quality multi-touch functions. vs the uMote which I'm estimating  will cost Nintendo ~$50 to put together and retail for half of MS's Xtab or Sony's PSVitab

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
The Wii U also has the Wiimote+ (hopefully Nintendo will show a new, more stable iteration this E3). Say what you want, but it is hands down better than Kinect and Move.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
If the patent system wasn't so broken I would say a tablet controller wouldn't be patentable because it is the obvious next step.  Sort of like smell is the obvious next step in entertainment tech.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
I don't know what the point of Nintendo's patents really is, because never once have they been able to come up with an innovation without Sony (and sometimes Microsoft) stealing it. We all knew at E3 2011 when Reggie revealed the new tablet controller innovation that eventually Sony/Microsoft is going to copy it. Well, not only does it look like its being copied, but its actually being copied before the WiiU has even been released. WTF? I was expecting the WiiU would at least launch and get a good solid year of life before the competition ripped it off, but this is just ridiculous.

Imagine if that had been the case with the Wii and its motion control innovation. It wasn't until 2010 that Move and Kinect appeared, so that meant the Wii had from 2006 until 2010 a period of about 4 years where they were the only motion control system on the block. But just imagine if Move and Kinect came out in 2007 or 2008. That would have been disastrous for the Wii.

Under U.S. patent law Nintendo should have 20 years of exclusivity with their tablet controller innovation. Sony and Microsoft should not be able to rip it off just one year later. If I was Nintendo I would sue the crap out of them and use lawyers to get that **** blocked. Maybe the problem all along has been that Nintendo is a push over. Did Nintendo's legal department tell Sony to cease and desist with the Move? Did they try to stop them from stealing the analog stick? No. Patents only do anything if they are enforced. Nintendo needs to take a stand and not let one more single innovation ever be stolen again. They also should sue Sony over the Move and collect the royalties from that.

Bunch of damn crooks.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:29:49 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Alot of the things Nintendo patents, they didn't necessarily invent, just found a unique way of doing it and/or applying it to videogames. And apparently when they patent that way, they forgot to patent all the other alternative ways to do what they did too just incase.

With Move, it's the exact opposite of the way the Wiimote tech worked.

Wiimote has the camera in the controller and detect the light point at the TV
Move has the camera at the TV which tracks the light point on the controller.

The good thing about Nintendos implementation is the pointer is extremely accurate as long as it can see the light source above the TV, but loses itself you you don't point at the TV.
Moves benefit is that the camera can track that ball of light everywhere and now has 3D spacial awareness as the loss of pointer accuracy.

With a tablet controller, I'm not sure how much of it Nintendo can actually patent considering that they didn't invent the tablet and aren't the only one with controllers, so they can only patent their implementation of it and hope that they cover enough of it's function that the competition can't make a clone copy but have to do some sort of clever workaround to achieve similar function that will hopefully be too expensive to be practical for a console system.

Such as Nintendo may be the exclusive licensee of this particular streaming tech for use in a videogames console, so if MS or Sony want to stream to the controller, they will have to find some rival tech to do it too and hope that that rival tech isn't violating on any patents of the previous tech company otherwise they will have to take a completely different approach (like using Vitas as your screened controller - aka the extremely expensive alternative).

Now having said all of that, it will be interesting to see what MS (& Sony) have come up with if the rumors of them doing something almost identical are true. Sony has the Vita and several Tablets they could utilze, MS has Phone7/8 (and tablets that might use the same OS), the discontinued Courier team that was supposedly reassigned to the Xbox division (i posted that in here b4 right?) and the Zune team to draw experience from in making this happen.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
the whole patent system is screwed up. Im sure no matter what they make some jackass patent troll will sue them.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
The Wii U also has the Wiimote+ (hopefully Nintendo will show a new, more stable iteration this E3). Say what you want, but it is hands down better than Kinect and Move.

You bring up a big point with this.  The Wii U seems to be built around existing Wii technology to work in harmony with it. 

Look at the Wii U tablet for instance...it can detect the Wiimote + allowing for it to be used as a sensor bar, this opens alot of options with the tablet controller that Microsoft won't have, and I think it is true for Sony's Move.

Now what is really interesting, is that the Wiimote + feels more future proof also.  Sense the camera's are in the Wiimote Nintendo could develop new sensor bars and better programming to read and decipher motion controls better.  In fact with better processors it should greatly improve alone, but add into that the possibility of a new sensor bar...and could have the best motion controls of next generation in your hands already...but will this new sensor bar look like?  I think the Wii U tablet is our clue...the additional camera on the sensor could work in conjunction with the Wiimote camera to make better computations for movement, and perhaps even 3D movement like Sony's move controller. 

We will just have to see in future...but it is important to remember that the Wii U tablet isn't the only control option, and Nintendo already has our living rooms filled with control options we will be using into the next generation.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Nintendo revealing the tablet early may prove to be bad for them but it actually better for the Wii U overall.  Nintendo were the oddballs with the Wii and that is exactly why the Wii got lame third party support.  The Wii was too different from the other systems to get the conventional stuff.  But if everyone has a tablet this coming gen then Nintendo are actually conventional while at the same time being the guys who initiated the idea in the first place.  Instead of making some unique tablet game for the Wii U that is handled by the B team and is not nearly as good as the "real" game made for Sony and MS, it will just be the same game.

Nintendo being weird and unique screws them on third party support.  If everyone copies them before the generation starts then they are unintentionally conventional.  And Nintendo doesn't have to even feel bad about being conventional because they established the convention!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Nintendo revealing the tablet early may prove to be bad for them but it actually better for the Wii U overall.  Nintendo were the oddballs with the Wii and that is exactly why the Wii got lame third party support.  The Wii was too different from the other systems to get the conventional stuff.  But if everyone has a tablet this coming gen then Nintendo are actually conventional while at the same time being the guys who initiated the idea in the first place.  Instead of making some unique tablet game for the Wii U that is handled by the B team and is not nearly as good as the "real" game made for Sony and MS, it will just be the same game.

Nintendo being weird and unique screws them on third party support.  If everyone copies them before the generation starts then they are unintentionally conventional.  And Nintendo doesn't have to even feel bad about being conventional because they established the convention!

yes Iansane is finally drinking the kool-aid!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
No Disc Drive for Durango??
« Reply #420 on: March 09, 2012, 09:25:51 AM »
NeXbox aka "Durango" to release without a Disc Drive!?
Some sort of Solid State Card to be used instead?
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/exclusive-no-disc-drive-for-next-xbox/092534
MCV has learnt that Microsoft has been telling partners that the Next Xbox will NOT include a disc drive.

The briefings have been issued under what MCV’s source describes as “the strictest NDA” they have ever encountered.

Although the console will not include a disc drive, it will offer compatibility with some sort of interchangeable solid-state card storage, although it is not known whether this will be proprietary or a more standard format such as SD.

Furthermore, a 2013 launch date for the hardware has been confirmed.

I believe this was kinda rumored before, and also matches the "anti-used game sales" rumor from before, but will Durango survive as mostly DD, or will MS be able to drive down cost on SSD/Flash cards enough to not have their games cost more than the competition?

p.s. This is more likely what UE4 was being shown off on @ GDC, but everyone was so desperate for Wii U news, I wanted to post something...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:27:40 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I don't see this happening. I'd prefer games use solid state cards because I don't like loading screens (though Resident Evil Revelations still has loading screens). Eventually, we'll probably see them in consoles (I really don't see a non-physical media future any time soon) but I don't think Microsoft will be the first. Durango is going to use a regular optical disc drive. It'll probably be Blu-Ray just for feature parity with PS4 which will have a Blu-Ray drive. That's not a confirmation, just a sound assumption. I really don't see Sony giving up on the format.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
I can't see solid state being cheap enough in the slightest.  Are they really crazy enough to make it DD only?  Didn't something like only half of 360 users connect to the internet?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
It is too soon for DD-only.  Nintendo just spent last gen courting casuals.  DD-only is incredibly hardcore and niche.  With MS making tons of money with Kinect, why would they go with that?  They're just pissing that audience away.

Probably what it is is that they're more or less switching to cartridges.  We're so used to discs now that saying a system has no disc drive sounds like a DD-only system at first listen.

Though if they want to do it, fine.  I wouldn't mind MS shooting themselves in the foot.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Lets see.

$6 for a 8 GB SD Card at consumer pricers.

Volume would probably drop that like a stone.
MS doesn't need to use the fastest tech.  You can write to an SD Card so, it could note it being used before.  MS did this on Floppy Windows installs back in the day.  When you installed it would save your info in such a way that it couldn't be redone without a hack.

Even if its the $6 price they could just pass that to the consumer.  $59.99 for a physical version of the game and $53.99 for a Digital version.  Probably still make more off the game digitally and every digital copy of a game is another game they don't have to worry about being sold used, don't have to worry about the cost associated with physical items (storage, transportation, media are more expensive for physical than digital.  Put that into perspective MS is charging 15 cents per gigabyte used when using there Azure product.  They must be getting the bandwidth cheaper then that but lets say they are providing it at cost so, that's only $1.20 to transport that game. A $1.20 would only get me 1/3 of the way to work with current gas prices.)

With there own tech they also save money from licensing fees.  I'm sure that it wouldn't be cheaper then Optical media in raw cost, the advantages could outweigh that difference.