Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 791014 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I wouldn't worry too much about PC gaming as long as there crazy developers in the Americas and Europe making equally crazy PC games. It'll just be harder to find them, that's all.

It may not be harder to find them, but it may be harder to swallow the crap that comes with big name titles. There are already a few games that have been absolutely ruined by Games for Windows Live. Grand Theft Auto IV is a chore just to start up, and the recent Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition doesn't look too much better. Funny how DRM actually prevents legitimate sales rather than prevents piracy, isn't it?

Does anyone actually use their Xbox as a media center? The software looked pretty damn primitive... Oh, and you have to pay MS a monthly fee to access Netflix through it. You could build a much better HTPC for not too much more, or get a very capable Boxee device for about the same. Either way, you won't really be missing anything on TV. Cut that satellite/cable cord and save yourselves a phenomenal amount of money every year! ;)
Or get a PS3 and your fully covered.  Use PlayOn to stream Hulu from your PC (Not paying for Hulu Plus), Netflix native app, use TVVersity or PlayOn to stream your PC Content (Any DLNA server would work), watch DVD's, and Watch Blu-Ray.  Especially with the Blu-Ray remote for it.  Get the benefits of not having to aim the remote with the wireless and a traditional remote setup.  Now if the accessory they released in Japan was here state side and let me translate over the air through my PS3 I never have to leave it except to play Wii.  PS3 may not be a great gaming machine but as a media center its very functional.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Grand Theft Auto IV is a chore just to start up, and the recent Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition doesn't look too much better.
I'll give you GTA IV since the series started on the PC but Street Fighter?  Who has ever played fighting games on a PC?  Any fighting game worth a **** starts in the arcade and for home versions it has clearly been a "console genre" since day one.  I don't like obtrusive DRM at all but if you want to play a fighting game, get a console.  You could never argue that the success of the Xbox has compromised fighting games on the PC because they were never there in any serious way to begin with.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
If I recall correctly, the majority or a huge chunk of traffic on Xbox Live is non-gaming. Looks like at least quite a fair amount of people use their 360 as a media center. Or at least a Netflix box.

Grand Theft Auto IV is a chore just to start up, and the recent Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition doesn't look too much better.
I'll give you GTA IV since the series started on the PC but Street Fighter?  Who has ever played fighting games on a PC?  Any fighting game worth a **** starts in the arcade and for home versions it has clearly been a "console genre" since day one.  I don't like obtrusive DRM at all but if you want to play a fighting game, get a console.  You could never argue that the success of the Xbox has compromised fighting games on the PC because they were never there in any serious way to begin with.

There have been fighting games on the PC in the past. It's just that they have never been the Japanese ones unless they were emulated. These days, a few big fighting games make their way on to the PC. Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition being the latest. You can also get BlazBlu Calamity Trigger and some Guilty Gear games.

Also, fighting games on PC are worth it for the zany mods you can do.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Or get a PS3 and your fully covered.

No thanks. My HTPC does everything and more, for cheaper than a PS3 would have cost. I don't have the redundancy inherent in having a PS3 either. The only reason I get Nintendo consoles is because I can't get those games anywhere else. Outside of a small handful of games each generation, I don't miss out on anything "multiplatform".

Get a console? There's absolutely no reason that the genre shouldn't have a larger presence. There are plenty of good joysticks and arcade pads available that hook up USB. If anything, it'd be a better environment simply because of the peripheral selection. The problem isn't the platform, it's lazy developers seemingly intent on sabotaging their own product. BlazBlue does just fine on the PC, the original Street Fighter IV sold tremendously. The market is there. Of course, maybe I should just "get a console"... just not a Wii, since it doesn't have **** worth of selection in that particular genre... right? :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
So how much was your HTPC.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Get a console? There's absolutely no reason that the genre shouldn't have a larger presence. There are plenty of good joysticks and arcade pads available that hook up USB. If anything, it'd be a better environment simply because of the peripheral selection. The problem isn't the platform, it's lazy developers seemingly intent on sabotaging their own product. BlazBlue does just fine on the PC, the original Street Fighter IV sold tremendously. The market is there. Of course, maybe I should just "get a console"... just not a Wii, since it doesn't have **** worth of selection in that particular genre... right?
Well you seem to get pretty uppity about PC genres like FPS being "consolized".  Here is a genre that is more of a console genre and you're talking about it on the PC.  So shouldn't a console gamer like myself be concerned about it being "PCized"?  I personally have no problem with fighting games being on the PC but if we're going to have that, it has to go both ways.  Things are homogenizing and it seems that any genre that used to be associated with one platform is now common on the other.  If you want fighting games on the PC, console gamers should be free to ask for first person shooters.  But that means that distinction between the two platforms if going to blur and differentiate themselves less.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Fighting games are an arcade genre. They already traditionally see their share of sacrifices when coming to the console market. The differences have lessened as arcades have died and consoles have become more capable however. Now if console gamers want first person shooter, they can have them. I don't want my experience hindered because the developers only catered to consoles though. I don't want muddy textures and low resolutions. I don't want clunky controls and auto-aim. Nor would I expect console gamers to have to play their fighting games solely with a keyboard. Developers need to tailor their games to utilize the strengths of the system they're on. As someone on a Nintendo site, I'd think you could understand that at least. :)

So how much was your HTPC.

I spent around $300 on parts when I first built it. In the six years I've been running it, I've probably spent another $100 on additional RAM and a new video card. I don't foresee it requiring any additional upgrades in the next few years. As of now it primarily runs Boxee, though is perfectly capable of anything else you would desire. I have quite a few emulators running on it for gaming even. I need to finish my Hyperspin frontend for those, actually...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:11:06 PM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
lol, $400 dollars is a wash with the PS3 but, I was really just adding it to he list of alternatives.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
The PS3 is a way better media device than the 360. Neither one's as good as my jailbroken AppleTV, though. That thing's a hell of a deal for the price, especially if you own an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad.

EDIT: Goddammit, I didn't realize there was another page.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:09:32 PM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
720 to have visuals on par with Avatar?
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »
You mean this hasn't happened yet?
Technology company AMD (supplier of graphics hardware for the Xbox 360) is claiming that the Xbox 360's successor will be capable of producing the kind of visual detail seen in James Cameron's Avatar, as reported on examiner.com via the August issue of Official Xbox Magazine US.

Cramming the kind of technology it took to render every frame of the eyeball-searing Avatar into a console within the next year or so sounds impossible, but AMD is claiming the next Xbox will launch with this within reach.

AMD would not confirm it was actually working on the next Xbox but director of ISV relationships at AMD, Neal Robison, has said that gamers have a lot to be excited about. Beyond visual fidelity Robison claims that the AI and physics capabilities of the next generation will allow for every pedestrian in an open-world title like GTA or Saints Row to be an individual character with a unique personality. This would mean NPCs would react in a whole host of new and different ways to in-game actions.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1182471p1.html

I'll believe it when I see it.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
The PS3 is a way better media device than the 360. Neither one's as good as my jailbroken AppleTV, though. That thing's a hell of a deal for the price, especially if you own an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad.

A little late on this one but, its sad it has to be Jailbroken.

You mean this hasn't happened yet?
Technology company AMD (supplier of graphics hardware for the Xbox 360) is claiming that the Xbox 360's successor will be capable of producing the kind of visual detail seen in James Cameron's Avatar, as reported on examiner.com via the August issue of Official Xbox Magazine US.

Cramming the kind of technology it took to render every frame of the eyeball-searing Avatar into a console within the next year or so sounds impossible, but AMD is claiming the next Xbox will launch with this within reach.

AMD would not confirm it was actually working on the next Xbox but director of ISV relationships at AMD, Neal Robison, has said that gamers have a lot to be excited about. Beyond visual fidelity Robison claims that the AI and physics capabilities of the next generation will allow for every pedestrian in an open-world title like GTA or Saints Row to be an individual character with a unique personality. This would mean NPCs would react in a whole host of new and different ways to in-game actions.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1182471p1.html

I'll believe it when I see it.

Agree.  Though they didn't say how long it would take to render that frame of Avatar :D.

Interesting some forums say it take 48hours per frame to render a traditional machine.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:29:14 AM by Ceric »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
AMD is bullshitting and just trying to get more people to buy their products thinking they can do it. Remember the PlayStation 2/Toy Story comparison? Yeah, the PS2 never was capable of that.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
Come on guys, we all remember the how the ps2 had Toy Story graphics.

Seriously though, the next gen still won't be able to touch Toy Story so this is ridiculous.  Its one thing for Sony of MS to bullshit their console but this is supposed to be the company that makes the actual chips.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:11:43 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile

A little late on this one but, its sad it has to be Jailbroken.

It's still pretty good without it, but the jailbreak makes it easier to play non-iTunes-formatted video and lets me run Plex Media Server on it, which is a fantastic interface for a device like that. AirPlay is awesome tech when you've got another iOS device, at least when the app supports it, which isn't nearly often enough. AirPlay support for MLS MatchDay Live was what made me buy the thing.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Avatar like graphics, right, and the n64 had ever evolving 3d worlds lol
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Develop-Online says:
MS won't reveal 720 till E3 2013 for a late 2013 release
http://www.develop-online.net/news/38917/Sources-point-to-2013-launch-for-Xbox-Next
Microsoft and industry partners are working towards a 2013 launch of the next generation Xbox, Develop understands.

Multiple sources across the industry, from processor chip manufacturers to middleware firms, have told Develop they expect the console to be fully unveiled at E3 2013, months before its release. The collection of data points to a 2013 launch for the system across all main regions, though early 2014 remains a possibility.

A loud "sighhhhhh" is heard coming from the Nintendo camp.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
So they have a year to convince 360 owners that waiting the year for MS new console is a futile effort?
Nintendo has an uphill battle much more so then if they had 2 years.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
The fact the Wii U's competition is far off is both a good thing and a bad thing from Nintendo's perspective. Its bad because the later the competition shows up the more powerful that competition is likely going to be when it does appear. But the positives of having such an early head start probably outweighs that negative.
is your sanity...

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
So who is expecting another Wii to 360 gap? Or is anyone expecting a PS2 to GCN gap? At this point I would love to see what Microsofts console will be able to do visually and how much they are going to incorporate motion and a tablet.

I think Nintendo is in a great position.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
If 720 comes end of 2012, the I expect an GC -> Xbox gap
(no real discernable difference)

if 720/PS4 comes end of 2013, then I expect a PS2 -> Xbox gap
(noticeable but nothing that shouldn't easily scale between the 2 groups)

if PS4 comes end of 2014, then I expect a DC -> PS2 -> Wii gap
(engines should scale, but graphical leap will be easily recognized)

Truth is that graphically, regardless of what 720/PS4 have packed under the hood, all 3 next-gen systems should be able to support the same graphical effects on the same exact engines.
It will all come down to which machine can do more of them at once, across the whole scene and at 60fps when pushed, and which ones need to be scaled back a little to get a similar effect. Outside of the detail oriented internet folk that will compare everything side-by-side, I don't expect the average Joe to see much of a difference (graphically) between the 3.

Feature set, controller, User Interface and exclusive games will be the difference maker next gen, not graphics.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
The next Xbox will not be called "Xbox 720". Not only does it not make any sense, but 720 would confuse consumers because 720 is an HD resolution and not even the best HD resolution either, so consumers who own TVs capable of 1080 output or whatever might think the XBOX 720 would not output to the fullest potential. So no, that's not going to happen.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
WHO FUCKING CARES

why does this have to be re-explained time and time again.
Xbox720 is the unofficial universal codename for the Next Gen Xbox that we all use to refer to the Next Gen Xbox with out having to type out Next Gen Xbox since none of us know what it will be called, now stop bringing it up.

Xbox720Xbox720Xbox720Xbox720Xbox720Xbox720Xbox720Xbox720Xbox720Xbox720Xbox720

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Then XBOX 420 it is.

8 - ))))))))))))))))))))))
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Xbox720 = Xbox L∞p?
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2011, 11:16:47 PM »
Could the Nextbox codename be "Loop"?

Xbox Loop? Xbox L∞p?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449403
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32041554&postcount=1
Note/Glossary: If some of the acronyms don't make sense, RTW = release to web, RTM = release to manufacturing, RC = release candidate, 3G = third generation, and we think PU = product update given that Windows 8 has one well after its release.
http://msnerd.tumblr.com/post/11725284513/rhythm

CES 2012
Win8 + WinStore beta
<ONM> CTP
Tango1 launch

MWC 2012
Tango2 SDK

MIX 2012
Win8 RC
<ONM> beta
Tango2 launch + Apollo announce
Kinect commercial SDK

E3 2012
Xbox SDK, 3G Kinect games announce
Apollo SDK
Win8 RTM

Aug 2012
Win8, <ONM>, WP8, Xbox Store launch

Build 2012
XAML+XDE platform
Win8 PU DP
<OSN> announce

CES 2013
Win8 PU Beta

MWC 2013
Apollo+1 teaser

MIX 2013
HTML platform (IE11)
Win8 PU RC
<OSN> Beta
Apollo+1 SDK

E3 2013
Xbox”loop” announce

Win8 PU RTM

Build 2013
Win9 DP
<OSN> RTM
Xbox”loop” launch

CES 2014
Win9 Beta

MWC 2014
WPN teaser

MIX 2014
Win9 RC
WPN SDK
Kinect SDK update

E3 2014
Kinect HP2 announce
Xbox PU announce

Build 2014
Win9 RTM (IE12)
Win9M RTM
<OSN+1> CTP
Xbox PU preview

Nov 2014
Win9, Win9M, Kinect HP2 launch
Xbox PU RTW

And if this is anything to go by, that would confirm the 2013 release timetable.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 03:55:13 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Also seems to imply that the system would also let Kinect be used at full capacity.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.