Author Topic: Next-gen forum roundtable: What do you want from NX?  (Read 5500 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Next-gen forum roundtable: What do you want from NX?
« on: August 26, 2016, 06:07:01 PM »
After 10 years of motion controls and touch screens, what direction are you hoping the NX will take? I can't imagine them going back to a simple classic controller without something out of left field, like a thumbprint reader to switch between NX and 4DS accounts more easily. Will the controller look like the Wii remote or will it resemble an iphone?

Does the detachable controller rumor intrigue you or does it sound unrealistic?

Will Amiibos get even greater gameplay integration? If so, how will they be used?

Giant, open world games like BOTW are already possible on Wii U, so what kinds of new experiences are you expecting from the extra power of the NX?

Launch games. Whataya want? New Super Mario 64? Galaxy 3?

Are you hoping for an evolution or a revolution? :reggie:
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Next-gen forum roundtable: What do you want from NX?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 07:11:06 PM »
Super PS4/Xbox and NOTHING else.

herp derp!

But let's forget about the NX for a moment and my spam comment and post something of real value. I think Khushrenada is great a true boon to humanity. If I was Nintendo, I would have him involved in making the NX and all future hardware and software. Then we wouldn't be having these discussion because Nintendo would dominate the market forever and every gamer would have their wildest dreams come true every time. So, that's what I want from the NX. More Khushrenada.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 08:27:26 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 07:27:06 PM »
I don't want something weird or different for the sake of being different.  I just want something good.  Good games, good features, good controls.  It's not like the NES and SNES had wacky gimmicks to make them standout.  They just played games at the current graphical level that was expected at the time and played them well.  Any extra features were industry standard stuff.

My feeling is you go with gimmicks to hide inadequacies.  So if Nintendo is going with gimmicks it suggests a design where they either can't or won't deliver the goods properly so they need some wacky feature to make up for something legitimately important that is being neglected.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 07:33:00 PM »

herp derp!

* Forum posts are expected to be on topic and deliver a certain level of content and legibility. "Spam" and other posts without value are not allowed and may be edited or deleted at the sole discretion of forum moderators.

Good games, good features, good controls.

This is an opportunity to speculate and imaginate what you want to happen. If you were :reggie: what would you order from the various development teams?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 08:12:42 PM »
I would trust my talented developers to deliver things that are beyond my imagination. I liked the Gamecube. I liked the Wii. I liked the Wii U. They could all use a few tweaks here and there, but I'm pretty content with seeing what Nintendo comes up with.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 08:24:58 PM »

herp derp!

* Forum posts are expected to be on topic and deliver a certain level of content and legibility. "Spam" and other posts without value are not allowed and may be edited or deleted at the sole discretion of forum moderators.

Thanks for the reminder. Man, there sure are a lot of posts I need to get to editing. Welp, no time like the present.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 08:48:40 PM »
I want it to play good games and not have to pay additional fees for online.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 08:50:04 PM »

herp derp!

But let's forget about the NX for a moment and my spam comment and post something of real value. I think Khushrenada is great a true boon to humanity. If I was Nintendo, I would have him involved in making the NX and all future hardware and software. Then we wouldn't be having these discussion because Nintendo would dominate the market forever and every gamer would have their wildest dreams come true every time. So, that's what I want from the NX. More Khushrenada.

That's better. Thanks Zap Slipstream. I'm always on the lookout to hire more agents for my forum secret police that I'm secretly starting. If you would like to help report the posts of other forum users for me to edit, you could be a forum secret police agent too.

On topic, however, I don't really have any major ideas or suggestions of what I think Nintendo should do because I've always been happy enough with the product they provide and own more games than I've played with a great backlog of my own to last a long time. Occasionally, I may come across a game that I'm just not in love with even though others are like Super Mario Galaxy. However, there's always a new game coming around the corner to try and maybe I'll be geeking out over that one instead like Kirby's Epic Yarn. It's hard for me to provide much input since I've never been greatly tempted to buy another brand of hardware from any company aside from Nintendo. On occasion, there might be one or two games that interest me but they fade from memory after their release and I'll have bought a bunch more games for my Nintendo hardware anyways to bother fretting about them.

I've been pretty happy with most ideas Nintendo tries out whether it be touchscreens, microphones or bongos. The only one I've been mixed on was motion controls but it depends on their usage. Even then, I really like the design of the Wiimote and Nunchuk. Instead of holding my hands together around a controller, I can just let them relax by my sides as I operate the game. If I'm moving the Wii remote around, I've still got the Nunchuk hand steady and guiding myself. So, hardware I've never had a problem with. It's always improving anyways. It's not like Nintendo has decided their next console will be back to a 16-bit processor. All the competitors seem to offer is just a bit better specs and maybe different online experiences. So, if Nintendo thinks adding some different kind of functionality to their console will help their game development, I've got no issues with it since it seems to be working for me. I also don't have any suggestions of what it should be since I'm not thinking up or designing games.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:50:40 AM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 09:56:22 PM »
Portability is pretty much a must for me, which obviously is a safe bet. After that, a decent visual upgrade on the 3DS (the 720 rumor has me excited), a unified VC with the major games from all the previous consoles, and a more diverse software lineup including titles from major western developers. I like the touch screen controls, especially for menu navigation and inventory maintenance, but I'd like to see more tap-and-drag functionality.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 10:01:53 PM »
I honestly just want another Xenoblade, everything else is gravy.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 10:48:00 PM »

herp derp!

Good games, good features, good controls.

This is an opportunity to speculate and imaginate what you want to happen. If you were :reggie: what would you order from the various development teams?

My comment was attempt at a subtle jab at a large segment of the typical responses to these kinds of questions.

- Make it as powerful as I imagine the competitor's new products will be!
- Make it have a super duper online system that is just like the competitors! No, I won't give specifics!
- Make it have a gamerscore achievement system!
- Make it have the same kind of controller! Don't do anything new!
- Make it play the same games as the competitor!

It grows tiresome. Why are Sony and Microsoft the bar that they have to reach anyway? PC surpasses the other consoles in most every category already, but they ignore that.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 11:14:14 PM »
I kind of don't want Nintendo to just make an Xbox that plays Nintendo games because it wouldn't feel like they're trying.  Really, I just want a concept that is fully fleshed out from the get-go and that Nintendo themselves looks like they buy into.  With the Wii, M+ needed to be there from the start (blah, blah, HD, blah).  With Wii U, so few games really made use of the gamepad, it just felt like a half-flaccid idea.

For the online, I hope they keep Miiverse.  I like it.  Achievements are ok, but I think we, as a culture, need to get over gamerscores. A cumulative points system is dumb.  I want to use a nicer word than dumb, but I don't feel like it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 11:28:39 PM »
The basics of course: a bit of hardware that allows Nintendo's software devs to create quality Nintendo games, from intense games like F-Zero and Zelda, to artistic endeavors like Mario Paint or Art Academy, to fun social experiences like Pokemon or Mario Kart, to lifestyle experiences like Wii Fit and The Louvre Guide, to stabs at things never seen before like Wii Sports and Streetpass Plaza.

But then on top of that? My pie-in-the-sky wishlist is...

- Mass Market Price: $249 USD or below
- Streetpass
- Cellphone modem expansion options
- New expansion into Asynchronous multiplayer
- Continued support for local multiplayer
- TONS of Indie Dev Support
- Tight integration with their Mobile App Ecosystem (Even to the point that every Nintendo Mobile game can be played on the NX)
- Tight Integration with MyNintendo missions and rewards (MyNintendo missions are better than achievements or gamerscores)
- Miiverse evolved to be tightly integrated with Miitomo or even combined
- Official options to swap in denser, longer-lasting battery packs
- Mario Kart 9 within a year of launch
- Mario Maker, Splatoon, and Mario vs. Donkey Kong Tipping Star sequels
- Surprises
- Next Level Games being given a chance to make their own IP
- Shin'en, WayForward, and Renegade Kid having games at launch
- Amiibo 2.0 whatever that may be
- The return of full comprehensive eShop Gifting, or at least ANY eShop title (even third-party ones) being purchasable as a code to give to someone else
- Full Virtual Console library at launch or early on (No more of this slow release stuff!)
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 11:47:53 PM »
It's not like the NES and SNES had wacky gimmicks to make them standout.
Wait, what? Most controllers back in the early to mid 1980s had joysticks. And let's not forget this guy that Nintendo included to even get NES into stores:

As for what I want and in light of ShyGuy's post:

1. USB Type-C standard.
2. No power brick.
3. A hard drive bay. Sorry, this may be too mainstream.
4. The inevitable GamePad variant doubles as a universal remote (credit to BlackNMarvel2k1)
5. The ability to return/refund e-shop purchases within 14 days of purchase granted the game was played for less than two hours.
6. The ability to trade digital copies of games for e-shop credit. Really, I just want to purge Trine 2 from my account but get some kind of compensation for my terrible life choices.
7. Start up tutorials given by the Duck Hunt dog and when you do something wrong, he laughs at you.
8. Indigo and Spice colored controllers.

As for launch titles, since I don't play video games too often, I'd be set with Breath of the Wild and an enhanced Super Smash Bros. for Wii U port. I'd get around to the rest of the games eventually.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »
I know the NES had R.O.B. but it was basically a trojan horse to fool retailers that thought videogames were a finished fad into carrying a videogame console, while Nintendo rightly assumed the general public actually was still interested in videogames.  Once that clever trick was over and the NES as selling, R.O.B. was abandoned.  And the Famicom launched years before R.O.B. existed so it wasn't like he was some essential piece of the console from the start.  He's on par with the SNES mouse, an optional accessory that didn't really go anywhere.  That's a huge difference from something like the Wii or Wii U where the gimmick is fully integrated into the console itself.  An NES works fine without R.O.B. and most systems were sold after he was discontinued.  You cannot have a Wii or Wii U with the Wiimote or Gamepad.

I find comments about "the same games as the other guys" odd and I imagine it comes from a post-1996 Nintendo fan perspective.  Who wants to buy multiple consoles if they don't have to?  It's expensive.  Having a good price point isn't that impressive if the console has such a small lineup that a purchase of another console is a borderline requirement.  Nintendo can't release a healthy amount of games on their own and they also ignore whole genres and styles so without good third party support you're limited to a small lineup of games from one company with a certain amount of variety just not being available to you.  So the options are to either buy two consoles, which is expensive, or make do with a very narrow selection of games.  That works for some people but to me that sucks.  Poor support might happen anyway but the NX shouldn't be designed in a way that specifically sabotages third party support like the Wii and Wii U were.  Things should be flexible enough that if the console has a good killer app or something and sells really well that those sales can attract strong third party support and not have some restriction that prevents that, like how the Wii's third party support was terrible despite the console being one of the biggest sellers of all time.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 05:22:59 PM »
A dog.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 06:04:01 PM »
I have warmed up to the idea of a hybrid with wireless video... a reverse Wii U.  One of the best things about it is that all software development could shift to one platform (and mobile).  Ideally for me, I could just download games for play on my PC and have better graphics/AI/physics than any console.  But, that's an unrelated fantasy to the NX.

In terms of features beyond the obvious, I would like head tracking for perspective shifting based on head position.  It would be a "3D" effect without the glasses and could even be integrated into gameplay.  It would also be cheap to implement.  If it involved wearing small infrared-emitting earpieces, they could also have rumble/sound/fans in them, giving you spatial cues about the environment you are in.  An odd thought, but it could be interesting for the few games that used it.

The main thing I hope for is big games made by enthusiastic people.  Many Nintendo games now feel like they are just there because it is time for another title in that series.  I want the creators to instead be inspired and encouraged to see the franchises in a new way.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 01:11:23 AM »
Honestly, I want Nintendo to keep doing what it is doing.  After getting a PS4 and carefully looking over the games I was saddened to see so few games for with the E rating.  So few games with local multiplayer and how everything was basically an M murder simulator...now I know there are exceptions to this...but honestly it is just a real bummer that companies believe that for a game to be mature and geared towards adults it has to be graphic.  Nintendo need to continue doing what it does and shoot for Teen and Everyone rated games that appeal to all ages and don't compromise on the gameplay.  If Nintendo can nail that, AND get online multiplayer better than I would be happy.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 01:37:47 AM »
No longer have a PS4 in the house, but it sat untouched for the last six months we had it. Beyond just lacking non-M games, I was continuously surprised by how anemic the release schedule was, especially if you remove sports and multiplayer only titles (and remasters!). The NX would have to be a complete disaster not to have a better library in its first year with the full force of Nintendo's production.