Author Topic: howstuffworks article on Wii...  (Read 1253 times)

Offline the wiizel

• Vatch out for teh Viley Viizels!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
howstuffworks article on Wii...
« on: May 01, 2006, 09:27:08 AM »
Has any one seen the article on howstuffworks.com about Wii?  They never hit the nail on the head on that site about video games.

"The graphics processor (code-named "Hollywood") will use an ATI chipset running at 243Mhz with 3 MB of texture memory. It might also have 32 shader pipelines -- 16 fewer than the Xbox 360. However, the Nintendo GPU is rumored to run at 500 million triangles per second (100 million sustained) -- roughly equivalent to the Xbox 360. It will also be able to handle 50 billion shader operations per second, which is about the same as the 360 as well.

If Nintendo pulls it off, the Wii console will have all the firepower of Xbox 360 and much simpler architecture that makes life easier for software developers.

The system is set to launch sometime in the second half of 2006 (yes, in time for the Holidays) with a projected price point of $200 or less. "

I know not to compare the other next-gen consoles to Wii, but they make it out that, visually it will be able to compete with the 360.  Nintendo has stated otherwise numerous times that is not what they are after.

Also, when was a $200 price point ever announced.  Reggie said under $300.  Am I right, or did I miss something.?
lets go Pens!!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: howstuffworks article on Wii...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 09:31:10 AM »
howstuffworks is just a terrible site
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Michael8983

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:howstuffworks article on Wii...
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 10:18:11 AM »
I think the under $200 is a very, VERY safe assumption.
Nintendo usually doesn't go over that and they're certainly not going to start with the console that was designed with affordability as a leading goal.
As for it being able to match the 360. I think it very well could on non-HDTVs.
Nintendo may downplay the graphics but they did the same the Gamecube which managed to match the XBox despite appearing to have much lesser specs.