Author Topic: More Revolution Tidbits  (Read 33582 times)

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: More Revolution Tidbits
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2005, 04:06:54 PM »
they could always have an external hub or something for the controllers.  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:More Revolution Tidbits
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2005, 04:11:07 PM »

Originally posted by: Grant10k

Originally posted by: Savior

On another subject, I do hope that Nintendo will put 4 gcn controller ports on the system as well as have 2 GCN memory card slots for complete backwards compatibility. I also hope that I can play PSO and LAN games through the wifi setup.

Thats kind of my concern as well... If its so tiny AND Backwards compatible? can it all fit?

well, they'd have to have at least one memory card slot, and worse case senario, it would only accept wavebird controllers, but GC controller ports arn't all that big, so i don't think there will be a problem.

What if they had a wireless multitap 'wave-tap' that you plug conrollers into and the multi-tap just pretends each contoller is a wave-bird, and communicates with the system.  
The system sounds way too small to have 4 contoller ports anywhere on it, I like this idea alot better.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2005, 04:27:46 PM »
"What if they had a wireless multitap 'wave-tap' that you plug conrollers into and the multi-tap just pretends each contoller is a wave-bird, and communicates with the system.
The system sounds way too small to have 4 contoller ports anywhere on it, I like this idea alot better."

Sigh ... the Revolution controllers will be backwards compatible as well.  You'll use them to play GameCube games.  No controller ports are necessary.

As for the memory cards, they might keep the same format, and just move up to larger sizes (like the PS2 did), or they might go with a completely new format, or you'll store them on internal storage.  So you might have to start your games over (unless you have a USB card reader), but the games themselves will be compatible, as promised.

Wait, did I say something about internal storage?  Scratch that.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2005, 04:32:27 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
Wait, did I say something about internal storage?  Scratch that.

I'm quoting that just in case it vanishes You know it could vanish from this post too, if we actually cared. -Bloodworth  Anyway, I hope there is some way to transfer my data off my old card, which is a 3rd party interact 16xx one (hasn't failed me yet). The data I'm mostly interested in getting off there is Super Smash Bros. Melee, to be honest.  

EDIT: I was hoping that fact would be overlooked Bloodworth.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2005, 04:44:59 PM »
from what i gather based on my lingual observations
Rev will have its own proprietary media(similar to hd-dvd)
will play dvds(as in movies)
and will be backwards compatable with gcn disks.

The controllers will be wireless, maybe wavebirds will connect..possibly you can switch channels in software.....that way you just turn the knob on your wavebird..and then theres no need for a knob on the system because its in the ui.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2005, 04:46:09 PM »
Hmm...I dunno what to make of this language change, but Nintendo would be frankly stupid not to include DVD playback this time around, just because of the whole image problem. I think they've wisened up enough to realize that.

Only three more days...

BTW

GameCube's GD-ROM discs are based on DVD technology

I know this is gonna sound, but weren't GD-ROMs what the Dreamcast used, and G.O.D.s what the GC used?
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2005, 04:53:57 PM »
"Sigh ... the Revolution controllers will be backwards compatible as well. You'll use them to play GameCube games. No controller ports are necessary."

<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2005, 05:21:18 PM »
Think about it, people.  Part of what makes a piece of electronics big is because of the ports you put on it.  Standard ports need to be a standard size, the best electronics (and smallest) are the ones that find a way to work without needing extra ports. The reason the GBA SP omitted the headphone jack was to shave off a few millimeters.

Without needing controller ports, ethernet ports, memory card ports (perhaps), including slot-loading DVD instead of a tray ... suddenly, you can make a very small machine.

Nintendo's Director of Public Relations says that this is the smallest console they've ever made.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2005, 05:25:51 PM »
Rick is right.

Rick, you think they'd include a harddrive to eliminate the memory cards? Harddrives can be pretty tiny, certainly not any bigger than two memory card ports, if not smaller.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2005, 05:52:43 PM »
Instead of a hard drive we may something like an SD card in the Revolution.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2005, 05:53:57 PM »
Not this vaporware again.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2005, 06:10:38 PM »
The reason I want controller ports are for two reasons, bongos and the GBA, without the contoller ports I see no way in those two things working. The memory card slots I want for two other reasons, so that I can still use my old saves and for the MP6 microphone, because they said that that will be used for future games.

I would also like to be able for PSO, which I do play online, to be able to go through the wifi however it goes through the broadband router. Same I guess for LAN games too, even if there are not many of them. It will be a lot easier to setup MKDD lan partys when you can hook up the Rev to a VGA monitor.

I don't think these things are to much to ask, and maybe there will be a work around that we are unaware of and I have no reason to worry.

*EDIT: Cleaned up some grammar and added blurb about LAN.*
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2005, 06:24:13 PM »
Laptop hard drives are pretty small ...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2005, 06:34:54 PM »
i have taken apart a gamecube before..and while the ports dont look big..the chip that holds the ports is about a half(sideways) a dvd case and 1.5 dvd cases in thickness.  
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2005, 07:09:49 PM »
"Sigh ... the Revolution controllers will be backwards compatible as well."

So you're confirming that Nintendo didn't complete wang the controllers with their new idea?  That's good to know.  That means they kept a d-pad on their too.  They have to or stuff like Metroid Prime won't work.

Still I would like to be able to use Cube controllers because I won't buy four Rev controllers right away.  Because of backwards compatibility I can put my Cube in storage.  But if friends come over and want to play SSBM I can just use the Cube controllers for multiplayer instead of having to reconnect the Cube or buy extra Rev controllers.  If I can't to that it's not that big of a deal but it would be a nice feature.  And the PS2 can do it so it would be feature matching.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2005, 08:34:08 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
Laptop hard drives are pretty small ...

Indeed, a fully loaded Macmini manages to incorporate most everything the Revolution needs in a similar form factor.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2005, 08:36:17 PM »
Its also possible the "backwards compatibility" isn't all its cracked up to be. Kind of like how the DS offers GBA compatibility, but it won't play GBC/GB games like a real GBA, doesn't offer connectivity to the Cube, and doesn't support multiplayer.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2005, 09:39:43 PM »
Laptop drives are gigantic next to a 2.2GB harddrive that fits into a CF slot. A CF card is as large as a GC memcard but only as high as a DS card. They go for 100 bucks at retail but I doubt they are that expensive to make, especially in sufficiently large numbers.

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2005, 04:54:48 AM »
A DS card can only hold 1 Gigabit right now, which is ~ 128MegaBYTES. 8 bits in 1 byte.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2005, 05:00:32 AM »
About the Rev. DiscFormat/ Size: Based of HD-DvD 15.Gig. Let us not forget that the GameCube disc are the basis on which HD-DvD's codec/software is looely based, so making the new system backwards compatible  as well as DvD movie enabled wont be that hard. This isn't new info either I think we all just forgot about that( I thought Nintendo help fund the students/firm who designed the software for Toshiba/Mitsutashi's HD-DvD)

About the Memory card: Expect the card to be the same size and format as the Ds gigabit card. Why? Have not the slightest idea but thats what I have foreseen. I bet a cold drink that I'm right on both fronts.!!!
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2005, 05:43:44 AM »

Originally posted by: Nile Boogie

About the Memory card: Expect the card to be the same size and format as the Ds gigabit card. Why? Have not the slightest idea but thats what I have foreseen. I bet a cold drink that I'm right on both fronts.!!!

That's a very cool idea. Maybe for instance a Metroid game could unlock Super Metroid for the DS as a playable bonus if you beat it with 100%, then you could just plug the card in directly.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2005, 07:19:15 AM »

Originally posted by: jasonditz

Originally posted by: Nile Boogie

That's a very cool idea. Maybe for instance a Metroid game could unlock Super Metroid for the DS as a playable bonus if you beat it with 100%, then you could just plug the card in directly.

Or just download it wirelessly...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2005, 07:53:34 AM »
Yeah, but then you lose it when it powers down. I like the idea of the writable DS card that can store a whole bunch of minigames on it.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2005, 07:55:52 AM »

Originally posted by: BiLdItUp1

I know this is gonna sound, but weren't GD-ROMs what the Dreamcast used, and G.O.D.s what the GC used?

You're right, I've got a stack of GD-R's in the corner... they're the Dreamcast's discs

I think it stands for "God Damned ROMs"

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2005, 08:04:02 AM »
Nintendo's new console, code-named Revolution, will be a sleek box about as big as a stack of three DVD containers, said Reggie Fils-Aime, executive vice president of sales and marketing for Nintendo of America.

Revolution will play DVDs as well as older GameCube games, and a range of color options are being explored, he said.

"It's the most industrial design we have ever done," Fils-Aime said.

The second time the DVD thing has been brought up...

Source
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~