Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 675241 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Rumors and Speculation Thread (Mighty Switch Force Edition)
« Reply #2850 on: December 26, 2016, 12:29:03 PM »
Not sure what you guys are talking about, but the X1 in the Shield can do 4K @ 60FPS (and does in the Nvidia Shield Android TV).

I remember this, but I thought this was only for media playback (Netflix, playing video files, etc.) and not on any actual interactive/game content?

I think the claim, as I understand it, is that the video source from the GPU is at the higher resolution but is then "right-scaled" by the GPU to the display "native resolution." This is actually a nice way of leveraging the muscle of a GPU to create a nicer, sharper image onto the screen. I've known gamers to bump their GPU resolution to 4K and "right-scale" it to their native resolution to get better visuals.

Ooh, that sounds like what he's referring to. I believe this is called supersampling, a way of doing full-screen antialiasing? Anyways, it still sounds pie-in-the-sky for me because it implies that the system is more powerful than I've been led to believe.

In regards to the "Gigi bits v Giga bytes: dawn of seconds" discussion, was there a specific reference to the speed being greater than the 3DS? Fact checking the 128MBps statistic would affirm whether or not it was bits v bytes, correct?

I remember reading some speculation on Neogaf that where this numbers comparison seems to make sense is comparison of the game cartridge connections between the 3DS and the alleged Switch game cart. But if so, this would put the game cartridge read connection vastly faster than the fastest SD card connections right now. I still don't know what to make of that rumor, it doesn't seem to easily slot into any clearly-arranged context.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: December 26, 2016, 07:08:14 PM »
There are a handful of games that support 4K native resolution on the SATV. I mean technically if you can output 4K for video services, you can output it for anything.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: December 26, 2016, 10:53:35 PM »
I think the claim, as I understand it, is that the video source from the GPU is at the higher resolution but is then "right-scaled" by the GPU to the display "native resolution." This is actually a nice way of leveraging the muscle of a GPU to create a nicer, sharper image onto the screen. I've known gamers to bump their GPU resolution to 4K and "right-scale" it to their native resolution to get better visuals.

Ooh, that sounds like what he's referring to. I believe this is called supersampling, a way of doing full-screen antialiasing? Anyways, it still sounds pie-in-the-sky for me because it implies that the system is more powerful than I've been led to believe.

Yes. It's a form of supersampling.

Run PC Games at a higher resolution than your monitor supports

It's very inefficient. I would hope this is not the case, because I'd rather have more rendered in each frame and have fewer pixels than the opposite.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: December 27, 2016, 02:34:38 PM »
That would essentially be pointless. Super sampling is used to run games at a higher resolution than your monitor supports, essentially it's a form of anti-aliasing. The limitation is your monitor though, in this situation - not the hardware of the console. PS4 Pro can do this with some games (for instance if you only have a 1080p monitor). Sure it would be a nice option to have, but it would be a *stupid* standard to have. If you have the horsepower to output at 4K, then output at 4K - don't render a 4K image and then output it at 1080p.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: December 27, 2016, 02:54:19 PM »
OR a simpler explanation is that the handheld screen just supports multiple screen modes. I bet the games will likely still be 720p......or 900p as the OLD rumor suggests.

Brandogg, in another thread you were saying the Shield does 4k rendering(or not)? Or is it just video. They should change your title to resident ShiledTV expert. I think your the only one with a Shield. I could be the Ouya expert. I've made working Ouya software.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: December 27, 2016, 09:38:47 PM »
I guess Michael Pachter has it on good authority (read: developer sources) that the Switch is by far the easiest platform of the three (referring to PS4, XB1) to develop for.

Holy **** dude, never ever quote or cite Michael Pachter. He has never been right about anything. I actually expect it to be harder to develop because he said it is going to be easy.

Full Pascal would have been quite nice as it is very, very good performance per watt for full fat chips. The cards consume half the power of an equivalent Maxwell card. It is so good enough in fact that there is no laptop version of the 10xx series aside from form factor. It is the same chip whether it is a desktop or not.

Being hybrid Pascal or having Pascal elements would be good news as a lot of Pascal's technologies are applicable to mobile when it comes to power consumption.

Yes. It's a form of supersampling.

Run PC Games at a higher resolution than your monitor supports

It's very inefficient. I would hope this is not the case, because I'd rather have more rendered in each frame and have fewer pixels than the opposite.

*cough*Nvidia Maxwell DSR Tech*cough* A much better solution more efficient than doing something dumb like brute forcing a higher draw resolution.

Depending on the game it has almost not performance impact like Mad Max where it will maintain the same frame rate whether you run it at 1080p or 1440 DSR. The opposite of that is PayDay 2 where rendering in DSR would bring my system to it's knees pretty quickly and feels sluggish right out of the gate. DSR can be a nice way to do anti-aliasing however from experience it varies a lot between games while other methods are more consistent.

The drop clock rates are worrying news if true. However clock rate these days have *somewhat* less importance than it use to have. Some applications though will demand a high clock rate like emulation.

However this news doesn't seem to pass the sniff test as the drops are absurdly high and would require a massive **** up or near ground breaking custom tech to make sense. So I am definitely wait and see on this.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: December 28, 2016, 12:24:22 AM »
I wouldn't say I'm a Shield expert, but I probably am the only person on these forums that has one (and I remember your Unity demo on the OUYA - sold mine when I got the Google ADT-1). If the tablet has a 720p display, there is no reason to run anything at higher than 720p when it's undocked - you'd only be killing battery life.

720p on a 6.2" will probably look "fine" - especially when it's still a relatively powerful system. The display on the Shield (original, portable version) is 5" and 720p and it looks pretty amazing, and to be honest the display on the Wii U Gamepad isn't *horrible* even at 480p. But like I mentioned before, it's a no-go for VR. Any rumors on if it will support 3D though? I think it's weird enough that it supports touch, because obviously that's not going to work when it's docked - unless the base for the Joycons they've been showing is a touchpad like the PS4.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: December 30, 2016, 12:06:47 PM »
Here's some pretty ridiculous speculation. Hell, I don't even think it's speculation, it's just throwing **** on the wall and seeing if it sticks.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MOlzz3s4jnik8lKLjNa8vLPyEFv35jNqqdJghIEk4mg/edit

I mean, look at some of the ridiculous fanboy nuggets being thrown out:
- Nintendo creating their own eSports league.
- Super Mario Switcharoo
- A Pikmin game having online multiplayer.
- No mention whatsoever of Retro Studios.
- Overwatch on Switch with a special Nintendo character (lol)
- Somehow thinking EA is going to bring 8 games to the Switch (including the bonus delusion that Nintendo has any say in the Rogue Squadron series)
- There will be approximately 405934069 different Switch bundles, with most 3rd party publishers getting in on the action.
- Red Dead 2 on Switch!
- Final Fantasy XIV is a "nindie".
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: December 30, 2016, 12:36:41 PM »
I can't wait for the "NEW Super Mario Super Show".

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: December 30, 2016, 02:14:49 PM »
There's no way any of that is based on facts.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: December 30, 2016, 03:27:20 PM »
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2861 on: December 30, 2016, 03:38:45 PM »
 ::)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

« Reply #2862 on: January 01, 2017, 02:55:21 PM »
More rumors from Laura Kate Dale found here http://www.vgnmagazine.com/2016/12/31/nintendo-switch-wont-have-lte-more-features-released/

There’s a record button on the left Joy-Con.

There will be no friend codes, DeNA is helping Nintendo with the networking.

The leak from Reddit user ‘Genos’ is fake.

Laura was asked if there was the possibility of Red Dead Redemption 2 or Overwatch coming to the Switch. Regarding Red Dead, she stated that there’s almost no way it’s going to happen due to Rockstar’s relationship with Nintendo. She assures that Overwatch wouldn’t be there at launch, and the two stated that it would require a massively overhauled port due to the ‘always-online’ nature of the title.

Don’t expect a delay for the Nintendo Switch.

Laura was asked about voice-chat, before she was going to answer she asked if she could say anything due to OBE1 releasing a video detailing it out soon. This basically confirmed the fact that it’s going to be included, smooth move guys.

The system will have Bluetooth, not sure to what extent.

The Joy-Cons will be available to be purchased separately at launch date. Docks will be purchasable after 6 months and will be ‘cheap’.

There won’t be a bundle that includes the Pro Controller, they will be purchasable separately.

The battery will last around 3 hours with everything at maximum.

The charging port is USB and will easily and quickly charge the system.

Only expect three virtual console GameCube games at launch, they will be optimized for their original resolutions.

At launch there will only be one color of the Switch, and it will be the default grey. However, there’s a slight chance that there will be multiple colors after launch.

The right Joy-Con has an IR pointer akin to the Wii mote, this will allow touch-screen functionalities while docked.

The entry bundle for the switch will have 32GB of onboard storage, Micro SD card support will extend to 128 GB.

When asked about Mass Effect Andromeda, she brought up the point that Mass Effect 3 sold horrendously on Wii U and that there are no plans to release the title.
I am NOT MysticGohan.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: January 01, 2017, 04:36:53 PM »
Still gotta love the "sequel to franchise never released on this underselling platform releases much later than other platforms with a built-up franchise fanbase, and then sells like ****, so the next sequel that could've release same time as other consoles, on this new console, will not release at all"

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: January 01, 2017, 05:07:38 PM »

The entry bundle for the switch will have 32GB of onboard storage, Micro SD card support will extend to 128 GB.

My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2865 on: January 01, 2017, 05:09:48 PM »
More rumors from Laura Kate Dale found here http://www.vgnmagazine.com/2016/12/31/nintendo-switch-wont-have-lte-more-features-released/

The leak from Reddit user ‘Genos’ is fake.

No ****.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: January 01, 2017, 07:08:05 PM »
Still gotta love the "sequel to franchise never released on this underselling platform releases much later than other platforms with a built-up franchise fanbase, and then sells like ****, so the next sequel that could've release same time as other consoles, on this new console, will not release at all"

I know. Don't you just want to club someone over the head (in this case, LKD and obviously whomever actually makes this decision) when they state this reason and logic behind the new game getting little/no consideration on the new console?

But you know, I really blame Nintendo. It's Nintendo's fault. If they wanted a certain game, they'd get it. It's really only their fault when these games skip their console just like it's their fault when their console gets late ports.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: January 01, 2017, 07:47:59 PM »
But you know, I really blame Nintendo. It's Nintendo's fault. If they wanted a certain game, they'd get it. It's really only their fault when these games skip their console just like it's their fault when their console gets late ports.

The reason EA gave the Wii U Mass Effect 3 instead of Trilogy and inteniontally sabotaged all their Wii U games is because they wanted Nintendo to use EA's shitty Origin for the Wii U's online and Nintendo rightfully told them to **** off. 

Seriously, what exactly was Nintendo suppose to do in that situation, just allow EA to have full control over Nintendo's entire online infrastructure?  Yeah Nintendo has done a lot of stupid things with third parties but these third parties are far from innocent in the **** they pull as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: January 01, 2017, 09:35:06 PM »

The reason EA gave the Wii U Mass Effect 3 instead of Trilogy and inteniontally sabotaged all their Wii U games is because they wanted Nintendo to use EA's shitty Origin for the Wii U's online and Nintendo rightfully told them to **** off. 

Seriously, what exactly was Nintendo suppose to do in that situation, just allow EA to have full control over Nintendo's entire online infrastructure?  Yeah Nintendo has done a lot of stupid things with third parties but these third parties are far from innocent in the **** they pull as well.

In comparison with that mess of an online gaming service the Wii U ended up with? I honestly don't know. At least if it was Origin, the Wii U probably gets a crap load more games.

That situation only comes about because Nintendo obviously had poor/no plans for their online gaming infrastructure. It had to look like a great deal in EA's eyes. Furthermore, Nintendo has dug this hole that they are in, so naturally they are last on the priority list and don't even seem to care.

Would you agree that Nintendo appeared to not care? I think they do care a little with regard to the Switch, but it was all lip service with the Wii U.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: January 02, 2017, 12:33:00 AM »
I wouldn't say I'm a Shield expert, but I probably am the only person on these forums that has one (and I remember your Unity demo on the OUYA - sold mine when I got the Google ADT-1). If the tablet has a 720p display, there is no reason to run anything at higher than 720p when it's undocked - you'd only be killing battery life.

720p on a 6.2" will probably look "fine" - especially when it's still a relatively powerful system. The display on the Shield (original, portable version) is 5" and 720p and it looks pretty amazing, and to be honest the display on the Wii U Gamepad isn't *horrible* even at 480p. But like I mentioned before, it's a no-go for VR. Any rumors on if it will support 3D though? I think it's weird enough that it supports touch, because obviously that's not going to work when it's docked - unless the base for the Joycons they've been showing is a touchpad like the PS4.

So, does someone have a copy of Dark Infinity floating around?  Because that would be hilarious.  Also, funny to know  someone played "Rival". Which version did i send you? The field with the giant fish you could move and the camel? Some poor new Ouya owner loads it up and is like "ooh dark infinity sounds cool" loads it up and is like WTF is this?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: January 02, 2017, 12:37:25 AM »
Would you agree that Nintendo appeared to not care? I think they do care a little with regard to the Switch, but it was all lip service with the Wii U.

Well Nintendo kind of had a good reason not to care back then since many of these same third parties literally killed themselves last gen or came pretty close to bankrupting themselves.  We even have a nice little thread in the OT section that hasn't been the most active of late but gives a pretty good idea what the videogame landscape was like back when Nintendo would have been designing the Wii U in the first place.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=30285.0

Yes, I do agree Nintendo has done a poor job in dealing with third parties overall, but at the same time, it's not hard to see why Nintendo doesn't exactly trust them.  Look at how recklessly many were gambling their entire companies last gen, especially EA who was taking some pretty big losses for much of last gen and you can't exactly blame Nintendo for not given a **** about them for making the Wii U.  These same companies were the ones who demanded Microsoft and Sony make the 360/PS3 as powerful as they were and both companies lost billions as a result of trying to please them.

Of course the industry is in a different place now then it was back in 2011.  For one third parties have started to care more about containing cost, especially the Japanese ones, then they were and Nintendo themselves have gone through their own HD growing pains on the Wii U so they at least have a better understanding on how development on this kind of hardware works.  So at least with the Switch, both sides are somewhat closer on understanding the other which should help Nintendo at least get better support early on then they did with the Wii U.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: January 02, 2017, 02:10:37 AM »

In comparison with that mess of an online gaming service the Wii U ended up with? I honestly don't know. At least if it was Origin, the Wii U probably gets a crap load more games.

That situation only comes about because Nintendo obviously had poor/no plans for their online gaming infrastructure. It had to look like a great deal in EA's eyes. Furthermore, Nintendo has dug this hole that they are in, so naturally they are last on the priority list and don't even seem to care.

How exactly was the Wii U's online service a mess? It's not really missing much from its competitors. The games weren't there to take advantage of it, but I really can't find a ton of fault with the service itself.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: January 02, 2017, 02:17:24 AM »
The only thing Nintendo's online service needs is voice chat.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: January 02, 2017, 03:25:50 AM »
Yeah, the lack of a systemwide party voice chat system is really the only big thing it's missing that I can see.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: January 02, 2017, 04:41:18 AM »
As long as it stays free, I dont mind what happens. Im happy enough with online games on the Wii U.

Another accidental leak from EB Australia

Looks too good to be a quick mock up, I would say its real.
New content for Mario Kart 8 sounds great
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 05:39:08 AM by Lemonade »