Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 675239 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Calm before the storm? Edition)
« Reply #1950 on: September 05, 2016, 01:39:39 PM »
and I thought I would drop this in here for easy reference to all the NX rumors so far w/ links

Quote from: NeoGAF
source: Dystify@NeoGAF

Everything we know about Nintendo NX (with sources)

Everything here is a rumor, unless stated otherwise.

If you think I missed anything or made a mistake let me know here or on Twitter. I will keep updating this list until NX is officially announced.
Source links can be found below. New information will be [highlight]highlighted[/highlight].

Hardware

• Nintendo NX will be a portable, handheld console (Eurogamer article #1, backed by Kotaku and WSJ article #1 among others)
  • A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect NX with your TV (Eurogamer article #1)
  • Six inch (6.2 inch?) multi-touch screen (Emily Rogers article #2)
  • The touchscreen has 720p resolution (Emily Rogers article #3)
  • The device is around 14 – 15 mm in thickness (Emily Rogers article #2)
Controls
  • NX has detachable controllers (Eurogamer article #1, among others)
  • Features motion controls and next-gen vibration technology (LPVG article #1)
  • The d-pad is split (LPVG article #2, Emily Rogers article #2)
  • It has a Share / Social button (LPVG article #2, Emily Rogers article #2)
  • There are at least two shoulder buttons. No info about Triggers yet. (Emily Rogers article #3)
  • The right analogue stick will be below the face buttons. (Emily Rogers article #2)
Features
  • Custom Nvidia GPU chip based on Tegra (Semiaccurate article #1, Eurogamer article #2)
  • Nintendo NX to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture (@DirectFeedGames on Twitter aka. NateDrake on NeoGAF. Tweet Link)
  • NX CPU is more powerful than the CPUs of PS4/XBO. (LCgeek on NeoGAF. Comment Link)
  • Nintendo NX will use cartridges (Eurogamer article #1, WSJ article #2)
  • 32GB of built-in internal storage (Emily Rogers article #2)
  • SD card support (Emily Rogers article #2)
  • Supports USB 2.0 and 3.0 (Emily Rogers article #3)
  • The dock has two 2.0 USB ports and one 3.0 USB port (Emily Rogers article #3)
  • Below PS4 and XB1 in raw power (Emily Rogers article #2)
  • Camera and microphone are not built into the NX portable device. Note: This does not mean there isn't a camera/mic somewhere. We don't know yet. (Emily Rogers article #3)
  • Cooling is still a little noisy (Emily Rogers article #3)
  • Battery Life doesn’t sound to be great (Emily Rogers article #3)
Other features
  • Nintendo NX is Region Free (No region lock) (LPVG article #3, Emily Rogers article #3)
  • Supports Unreal Engine 4 and Unity Engine (Emily Rogers article #2)

Software

• NX is compatible with Nintendo's smartphone games (WSJ article #1)
  • Any game that runs on PS4/XBO should run on NX with little to no issue. (Osirisblack on NeoGAF. Comment Link)

Confirmed Games
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Nintendo (Source)
  • Just Dance 2017 - Ubisoft (Source)
  • Holiday 2017 Sonic Game - Sega (Source trailer)
  • Dragon Quest X - Square Enix (Source)
  • Dragon Quest XI - Square Enix (Source)
  • (Pikmin 4 - Nintendo (Source 1 | Source 2) Note: While the game is officially confirmed it is currently unclear if it will launch on NX, but we can safely assume it will be on NX.)

Indie Games
  • Tank it! - Bplus (Source)

Rumored Games

• A Mario game within 6 months of launch (Source)
  • A Pokémon game by Gamefreak within 6 months of launch (Source)
  • A Super Smash Bros. game for NX launch (Source)
  • Splatoon (Source) Note: This game is in development but may not release. See source.
  • Super Mario Maker (Source) Note: This game is in development but may not release. See source.
  • Beyond Good and Evil 2 - Ubisoft (Source)
  • [highlight]A Mario Sports Superstars port[/highlight] (Source | Reference on the leaker)

• Bandai Namco is working on several NX titles. (Source)
  • Retro Studios is not working on Metroid, DKC or Diddy Kong Racing, sounds like a new IP (Source)
Source Links

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:42:29 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: September 05, 2016, 04:43:10 PM »
What about the most obvious solution to store DLC? On the game cards themselves.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: September 05, 2016, 05:01:52 PM »
What about the most obvious solution to store DLC? On the game cards themselves.

Unless you are doing everything though Digital Download.

Otherwise wouldn't that be the whole purpose/advantage of using cartridges again? or any solid-state media? Speed of Access and Writable Storage Space.
A fast 32GB card probably cost a large manufacturer like $1-$2, the game itself is probably only 10-20GB's considering you don't need to replicate data to make it easier to find, like you would on a disc.
that leaves you with potentially plenty of writable storage space on the game itself, for DLC, save games, and whatever other ideas Miyamoto had left over from the 64DD experimentation phase.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: September 05, 2016, 05:38:55 PM »
Storing stuff on carts is a pretty archaic because, frankly, physical media is dying out.  Old geezers like me want it but young people that stream all their movies and music are fine with digital only.  The concern about true ownership isn't a priority to them.  These days I figure a game system should be designed with the intention of people going all digital and physical media just being a grandfathered feature for older customers that aren't comfortable going all digital yet.  Ten years from now we probably will see consoles with no physical media at all, so for Nintendo to emphasize it, and going back to cartridges as well, looks backwards.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: September 05, 2016, 05:43:02 PM »
But both the PS4 and XB1 accept discs, so who's really archaic?

And then you mentioned streaming movies and music but still thought having the information on your HDD is a non-archaic solution.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: September 05, 2016, 06:33:24 PM »
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1956 on: September 05, 2016, 07:38:32 PM »
Pulling up a quote from an old interview does very little.  All we know is Nintendo is looking at building an OS that can be shared across both platforms and create assets.  Game Engines, Character Models, Physics Engines, Logic Engines, and other programing/gaming tools that can be used in all future Nintendo products.

This could mean 2 systems a portable and console...or it could just mean a new philosophy that no matter the system Nintendo is moving to unify and simplify development.  Personally, this quote could even be used to support a hybrid/docking system if they wanted too. 

I am curious what Nintendo decides to do next.  What is interesting about Nintendo is everyone keeps saying their next console is their last chance to prove themselves in the market...but since Nintendo continues to do things differently than Microsoft and Sony, even when they bomb...they are valuable to the market place because nobody is doing what Nintendo is doing.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: September 05, 2016, 09:05:14 PM »

And then you mentioned streaming movies and music but still thought having the information on your HDD is a non-archaic solution.

Well I'm not saying the NX shouldn't support physical media.  But in the era of downloads if your solution to concern about storage space is "don't worry you can save onto the cartridges" you might as well have just walked out of a time portal from 20 years ago.  It sounds like something a confused old man would say.  Maybe this thing should run on AA batteries and connect to the internet by dial-up while we're at it.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: September 05, 2016, 09:21:07 PM »
What ever happened to C and D batteries? I got a flashlight the other day it held four AAA batteries in a circle! You could fit a C in there and save on parts!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: September 05, 2016, 09:28:18 PM »

Well I'm not saying the NX shouldn't support physical media.  But in the era of downloads if your solution to concern about storage space is "don't worry you can save onto the cartridges" you might as well have just walked out of a time portal from 20 years ago.  It sounds like something a confused old man would say.  Maybe this thing should run on AA batteries and connect to the internet by dial-up while we're at it.

Well, the rumors suggest onboard storage and expandable storage through SD cards and probably USB HDD's. That would be your DIY unlimited solution to your storage space, assuming it's true.
So yes saving game related data directly to the game cartridge it pertains too is also a part of that solution, since the solid state media they would be using is fairly cheap and easily expandable upon demand in size.
And even though Nintendo is traditionally behind the times when it comes to technology, I wouldn't be surprised to see them adopt cloud storage solutions as part of the Nintendo Network. As it's a very good way to keep people logging in, and staying invested in the Nintendo Software/Hardware Platform.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1960 on: September 05, 2016, 09:37:29 PM »
What ever happened to C and D batteries? I got a flashlight the other day it held four AAA batteries in a circle! You could fit a C in there and save on parts!

Companies realized that the most common batteries in peoples houses are AA and AAA batteries.  So for convince they started making most battery powered things use those types.  As well I think battery technology has gotten better so you can produce more power in those smaller batteries indicating you don't need to have the larger batteries. 

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1961 on: September 05, 2016, 09:39:55 PM »

Except that cartridges are much cheaper these days, and actually it is always simpler and easier to have the save data on the cartridge that the game is on when possible...it is something that was severally lacking in the DVD/CD era of games...that is less of a problem with hard drives and cloud storage, but still...I like the idea, I have my game cartridge I have my save game file.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1962 on: September 05, 2016, 10:14:41 PM »
So no final Fantasy 7 remake anymore?
Made you look ****.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: September 06, 2016, 03:11:37 AM »
On wii U i've been using two 32 gb USB sticks to store my excess data. Considering they were only $12 it works pretty well. Could I see games returning to cartridges?

Well, sort of I'm like already kinda doing it. If I do it right I can store all my metroid games on one stick, zelda on another, and mario on the other.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: September 06, 2016, 09:12:26 AM »
I don't know where you all reside, but in Western Illinois, we have data caps on our internet, and you have to pay a pretty penny to get to an internet tier where you have more than 15 mbps and a 250 GB cap before having additional charges.  That cap isn't much when factoring in video streaming and digital game libraries, because when I lived in NC, Time Warner didn't have a data cap but let you view your usage, and in colder months we easily hit 500+.

I don't think most users are at the "all digital future" until at least the above issue is solved.

Another question - Regarding kids' expectations to have everything installed on the device - I think kids can and still do differentiate well enough on expectations between something like a phone and video game system.  Also, when Christmas comes up, what's going to be exciting about giving your child a box and having it opened to show a download code, or just a note saying that "Mario NX" is already installed for them!".  Kids are enamored with the physical, tangible in equal, but different ways.

I'm not excited about the lackluster internal memory size based on the Rumors, but if my Wii U is any indication, I wouldn't want to purchase full retail games digitally on my Nintendo console, anyway.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: September 06, 2016, 12:05:20 PM »
So no final Fantasy 7 remake anymore?

Nope. Nintendo stuck with a cartridge format for the NX while PlayStation 4 went with a CD format so now the Final Fantasy 7 remake is going to be on PlayStation instead.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: September 06, 2016, 05:20:24 PM »
I'm sure all-digital is in the cards eventually, but beyond the aforementioned lackluster internet in much of the states still (and as fiber remains elusive, games are pushing 50 gigs), it will require people getting fully on-board with not owning resalable media.

I got the digital versions of Smash, Mario Kart, and 3D World on the WiiU because I was fairly confident those would have an evergreen rotation due to the multiplayer. Everything else I bought physical and everything else I resold. A big part of the industry in the states still revolves around the used game ecosystem. Gamestop is trying furiously to differentiate in to a video game Hot Topic, but at the same time Walmart and Best Buy have gotten into the used games game.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: September 06, 2016, 06:07:13 PM »
I like physical media too, but Nintendo's "NX is a platform" talk may mean that they are going to make digital more attractive.  With Android, Steam, etc., I purchase once and can play on all sorts of platforms for an indeterminate amount of time.  If Nintendo can design a system like that, I would make more digital purchases.  Even with the improvements they have made, I still feel like my content is locked to a system that will one day die and take all the content with it.  Cloud backups for saves is also an important element, although also possible with physical media.

A nice way to introduce this feature would be to have all 3DS games purchased digitally available on the NX for no extra cost when logged in to the same account.

The true answer to this issue is the same it always has been: no DRM.  I can still play PC games that were sold in the 70s because of that.  The Steam approach is the closest thing that major publishers will actually work with.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: September 06, 2016, 06:17:47 PM »
A nice way to introduce this feature would be to have all 3DS games purchased digitally available on the NX for no extra cost when logged in to the same account.

3DS games are tied to the system though.

I get where you're going but this is Nintendo we're talking about. Start smaller and hope this is the case at least for Virtual Console.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: September 06, 2016, 08:40:38 PM »
I'm sure all-digital is in the cards eventually, but beyond the aforementioned lackluster internet in much of the states still (and as fiber remains elusive, games are pushing 50 gigs), it will require people getting fully on-board with not owning resalable media.

I got the digital versions of Smash, Mario Kart, and 3D World on the WiiU because I was fairly confident those would have an evergreen rotation due to the multiplayer. Everything else I bought physical and everything else I resold. A big part of the industry in the states still revolves around the used game ecosystem. Gamestop is trying furiously to differentiate in to a video game Hot Topic, but at the same time Walmart and Best Buy have gotten into the used games game.

you know, I didn't even pick up on that, but now that you mention it, the only way for GameStop to really move forward is to switch to a game swag store. As time goes by the games subculture will be such that it could support a store on swag alone.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1970 on: September 06, 2016, 09:47:50 PM »
Digital is an interesting beast.  Where buying used games used to be the only way to buy games at a discount, unless you waited for store sells or half a year for discounts.  Digital stores allow for more frequent and more common sales.  Since there is no overhead for packaging/shipping, and no markup for the stores to make a small profit, the publishers can make more money on each digital purchase...allowing for more frequent digital only sales. 

So, for the consumer, Digital is actually a really good deal.  Specially once Digital matures and games are updated for newer systems and you don't have to worry about repurchases (like the App Store for ipad.)  This is where Microsoft correctly sees the future as not having to be generation based.  Once a strong platform for programming games is created, hardware just needs smaller jumps to remain relevant.  As long as a policy of supporting the legacy console for up to 5-6 years + exist. 

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: September 06, 2016, 11:50:50 PM »
Nintendo NX - Specs Upgraded & Two Ubisoft Exclusives?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ScwIn2mi1pg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Apparently, there's more to the NX :)

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: September 06, 2016, 11:56:05 PM »
NX wasn't really delayed because of games, it was delayed because of specs were upgraded according to SMD64 and his sources. So there's that, and it fits in  line with what I've been hearing prior to EG's "sources"

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: September 07, 2016, 12:17:27 AM »
C'mon man, even SMD64 isn't totally dismissing Eurogamer's reporting anymore like you are.

Also, Ubisoft isn't giving Nintendo an exclusive BG&E2 out of the kindness of their heart. Nintendo is paying for that if true.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: September 07, 2016, 12:32:48 AM »
C'mon man, even SMD64 isn't totally dismissing Eurogamer's reporting anymore like you are.

Also, Ubisoft isn't giving Nintendo an exclusive BG&E2 out of the kindness of their heart. Nintendo is paying for that if true.

He also doesn't agree with them either, they are off about the system. But we'll see :)