Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 675067 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: NX hot scoops straight from Google!
« Reply #1925 on: September 01, 2016, 12:05:34 PM »
So the big amount of 3DS stuff revealed today is making me think that the NX is not going to be a replacement for the 3DS and will solely be a Wii U successor.  Today's direct suggests that Nintendo plans for the 3DS to last a bit longer.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: September 01, 2016, 12:49:56 PM »
Well, there is a chance they support both.  The original plan with the DS was it was going to be sold alongside the GBA in case the DS flopped.  Since it didn't, the GBA eventually stopped being made but there were new games for it at least a year after the DS came out.

Sony is still having new content for the PS3 even though the PS4 has been out for 3 years now.  It's not unprecedented for a company to continue to support the old system as the new one is in its infant stages.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: September 01, 2016, 04:30:18 PM »
So the big amount of 3DS stuff revealed today is making me think that the NX is not going to be a replacement for the 3DS and will solely be a Wii U successor.  Today's direct suggests that Nintendo plans for the 3DS to last a bit longer.

I thought the same thing.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: September 01, 2016, 07:06:06 PM »
I could see the NX being compatible with 3DS. It reportedly takes cartridges, so who knows. You'd probably be giving up 3D though which I would be sad about. I like the 3D.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: September 01, 2016, 08:17:32 PM »
Well, there is a chance they support both.  The original plan with the DS was it was going to be sold alongside the GBA in case the DS flopped.  Since it didn't, the GBA eventually stopped being made but there were new games for it at least a year after the DS came out.

Sony is still having new content for the PS3 even though the PS4 has been out for 3 years now.  It's not unprecedented for a company to continue to support the old system as the new one is in its infant stages.
Exactly, it's happened a number of times before, especially when Nintendo had more popular systems like the NES and SNES which continued a few years after their successors released. Heck, the DS still saw Pokemon Black and White 2 a while after the 3DS came out, and those were pretty major games. Some of the 3DS stuff we're getting also came out in Japan a while ago.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: September 02, 2016, 12:04:47 AM »
I'm still holding out hope for NX backwards compatibility with 3DS. How I don't know, but it'd be a really neat feature.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: September 02, 2016, 12:19:30 AM »
Yeah it's not a surprise Nintendo is keeping the 3DS around longer.  The system still has an active userbase of around 60 million, something the NX even if successful will takes years to reach.  Plus Nintendo isn't stupid, they know not to put all your eggs in one basket.  If the NX is a failure by the end of 2017, I can guarantee they probably have some kind of backup plan to release a traditional successor to the 3DS in 2018, just like they had a backup traditional successor planned for the GBA if the DS failed.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: September 02, 2016, 01:44:52 AM »
Theory: NX will play 3ds games and 4ds will play nx games.

Wii U games will be available on NX, but downloadable only. Also, most likely Nintendo titles only. If you have the wii u disc, you an download a patch to bridge compatibility.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:47:04 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: September 02, 2016, 09:50:49 AM »

Wii U games will be available on NX, but downloadable only. Also, most likely Nintendo titles only. If you have the wii u disc, you an download a patch to bridge compatibility.
I like this idea
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: September 02, 2016, 05:14:20 PM »

I like this idea
I like it too.  Too bad Nintendo always wants you to buy the game again. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Calm before the storm? Edition)
« Reply #1935 on: September 04, 2016, 11:12:26 PM »
I was hoping someone else would post this because I was too lazy to format, but fine, I lost this game of chicken.

Not Really New Rumors From Emily Rogers

For those too lazy:
Disclaimer: Everything in this blog post is rumor until proven otherwise. Please take everything with a grain of salt.

Here is what you can expect from the final retail product:

-Custom Nvidia GPU chip
-Region Free (No region lock)
-Six inch (6.2 inch?) multi-touch screen (Heard nothing about a stylus)
-The touchscreen has 720p resolution.
-32GB of built-in internal storage
-SD card support
-Supports USB 2.0 and 3.0
-The dock has two 2.0 usb ports and one 3.0 usb port.
-The device is around 14 – 15 mm in thickness.
-The right analogue stick (or circle pad?) will be below the face buttons.
-Camera and microphone are not built into/inside the NX portable device.
-Cooling is still a little noisy
-Detachable controllers (motion controls and next-gen vibration technology) <– Everything Laura Kate Dale said in her article was correct.
-Share / Social button that Laura Kate Dale posted is true.
-There are *at least* two shoulder buttons.
-Battery Life — Ehhh not great. I haven’t heard an exact number of hours, but it doesn’t sound great.
-Below PS4 and XB1 in raw power.
-Supports Unreal Engine 4 and Unity Engine.
My Thoughts (this section became longer than intended so I don't expect everyone to read it):

1. Cooling is noisy because development kits are using X1. Final hardware will be based on nvidia's recently announced Parker SOC while also based on already available Pascal GPU architecture (16nm FinFET process) with all the automobile stuff stripped out for obvious reasons. There will be no heat sink on the retail unit because one makes no sense on a handheld. Nintendo is going with something based on Parker for energy efficiency rather the performance boost.

2. Region free is pretty nice. It's something Iwata mentioned Nintendo was thinking about. I think this is a smart move. Region locking is not worth the trouble to implement since few people will take advantage of it anyway.

3. A 6.2 inch screen is surprising as it's portable yet not pocketable. This decision is oddly encouraging. Pockets are for phones these days, but that doesn't mean people won't still carry NX in a bag. This could be a preliminary hint that Nintendo is starting to understand its place.

4. Nintendo had no choice but to go at least 720p with a screen that large in 2017. If Iwata's "brothers in a family of systems" ever comes to pass, I'd expect a 1080p screen at some point.

5. Not really understanding why Nintendo would still be fucking with USB 2.0. I hope this is a development kit thing. There to show it will be there but not representative of the final product. Anything less than USB 3.0 is unacceptable though I'd push for USB 3.1. It's backward compatible and standard now. No excuse for this if true.

6. Depth of 14mm to 15mm is encouraging as it's much thinner (and likely lighter) than the GamePad. With Parker, Nintendo can fit a larger battery in there.

7. I expect a camera and microphone if only for backward compatibility and augmented reality.

8. Everyone keeps speculating that the detachable controllers are so you can play two player games with them. One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is that each part would then require a battery. That adds weight and cost. My thinking is that the physical buttons detach to make the touchscreen easier to hold for games that heavily use the touch screen. Doubtful Nintendo ever pushes dual screens at home. When demoing Breath of the Wild, Nintendo admitted that forcing players to look away from the TV disrupted gameplay. I would not be surprised DS/3DS backward compatibility on the go was achieved by viewing the screen vertically.

This also has the added benefit of allowing people to really punish the controller parts with impunity without having to worry about replacing the whole unit. I can personally attest to this. I prefer not using the GamePad for fear of wearing it out. I don't doubt that there will be niche peripherals in lieu of the standard layout.

9. Social/share button is likely the Miiverse button. I'd be downright shocked if it was for something like Twitch or YouTube. I'd never use it, but I'd welcome it. I could see maybe a menu popping up. Then again, couldn't that just be implemented by pressing the home button. Who knows?

10. I'll judge battery life once we know what the SOC is in this thing. I'm hoping for 10 hours. Anything less than 5 hours is garbage-tier. Either way, I will almost always have this thing docked. I'd prefer if there was a straight-up home version of this and consumers can buy a touchscreen separately though that confuses the messaging here. A powerful handheld with HDMI-out is the right call. Once the platform is established with Nintendo (hopefully) nailing the marketing, it can start releasing other models.

11. I'm okay with NX being below Xbox One in power considering NX is, by all respected accounts, a portable that trounces Wii U. Being on a modern API (Vulkan) and natively supporting most modern engines will help tremendously. EA's Frostbite engine may be the only holdout and even that can probably be ported. Additionally, Neo and Scorpio probably won't change anything either.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1936 on: September 04, 2016, 11:26:35 PM »
Why mess with USB 2.0? Maybe they got a whole bunch of hardware $$$CHEAP$$$ when the Wii U came out and they want to burn through it. That's about the only thing I can think of.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: September 04, 2016, 11:36:56 PM »
32gb of internal storage sounds low

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: September 04, 2016, 11:50:41 PM »
Why mess with USB 2.0? Maybe they got a whole bunch of hardware $$$CHEAP$$$ when the Wii U came out and they want to burn through it. That's about the only thing I can think of.
Perhaps though this isn't the time to be going cheap. Nintendo is presumably transitioning back to one platform. Go big or go home.
32gb of internal storage sounds low
It is low though it may even be too high. I suspect the internal storage is primarily reserved for the operating system similar to 3DS. Nintendo expects people to buy an SD Card. You can get a 128 GB micro SDXC card for $40. Even so, there is bound to be a lot of "cleaning out the fridge" for anyone digital only. This makes USB 3.1 even more necessary.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: September 05, 2016, 12:21:42 AM »
With how bloated games and patches are getting, I don't think a 256gb would be enough.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: September 05, 2016, 01:05:57 AM »
Low amount of internal storage is pretty stupid.  This is the age where people will buy all digital.  I guess if this is portable that a hard drive isn't going to work too well but I figure you either put enough storage in as a default or you have essentially none and offer a lower priced system with the understanding that people supply their own hard drive separately.  Don't sort of have some storage and let people buy it thinking everything is fine only to be tearing their hair out once a couple system patches eat up all their space.  If they have to buy a separate hard drive make it obvious up front (and maybe offer two SKUs).  And USB 2.0 is fucking ridiculous.  Only with Nintendo would I assume such a rumour is true.  Might as well use Firewire or Zip drives.

If they can't match even the XB1 and PS4, which are about to have incremental upgrades that will presumably make the base units outdated, then all those PS4 and XB1 third party games aren't coming to the NX.  Take that and combine it with seemingly doubling-down on the screen concept and it's the Wii U 2 and I would expect it to sell about as well as the Wii U.  It might sell worse since I figure some amount of the existing Wii U userbase has been turned off.  You don't release consoles with the problems the Wii U has and expect to retain 100% of your customers.

The best case scenario I can see with an NX that resembles these rumours is that it replaces the 3DS as Nintendo's handheld and for all intents and purposes Nintendo is seen as having left the console market.  The whole thing sounds like taking the Wii U and making it portable.  But then it won't be as small as a proper handheld and it won't have that level of pricing or battery life.  Nintendo is smart to have 3DS releases continuing into 2017 in case this thing flops.

The whole thing sounds like trying to make the Wii U more like an actual tablet instead of a console that has a tablet-esque controller.  I think this makes a rather dumb assumption that the Wii U concept was a great concept that just wasn't done quite right.  If this is the NX, the NX is probably going to be a bigger bomb than the Wii U was.  This is basically an oversized handheld that plugs into a TV and I question what the market is for that.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: September 05, 2016, 03:39:46 AM »
Also something to note. Ouya, which is a ancestor of this line was able to get better performance because it was plugged into the wall and didn't have to be as energy efficient. Also, the thing got really damn hot.

another nice thing, because it was android based(an old rumor for nx), you could download any cell phone game you could make work.

I got the android Grand Theft Auto Vice City on ouya because it was in the Amazon store. I got Dead Trigger too.

I also, have running APK files from old versions of my game. I stopped making games for it though when I realized they didn't have self shadowing in unity yet on android.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: September 05, 2016, 06:50:45 AM »
With how bloated games and patches are getting, I don't think a 256gb would be enough.
Absolutely. I don't think there's a really good solution to this currently. NX shouldn't have a regular hard disk drive because the moving parts make unit less durable and energy efficient. While physical size isn't really an issue because there are HDDs the size of postage stamps, anything that small and proprietary is going to drive up cost. It doesn't make sense for Nintendo to push for something Parker-based then waste the benefits it provides. If somehow NX isn't Parker-based, Nintendo would be releasing a product that is really unacceptable as a handheld.

500 GB would be the best start though even that will get eaten up really quickly.
Also something to note. Ouya, which is a ancestor of this line was able to get better performance because it was plugged into the wall and didn't have to be as energy efficient. Also, the thing got really damn hot.
A common thought is that, unconstrained by battery requirements, NX's SOC will reach greater performance in docked mode as in more cores will be available. I'm not sure I buy that nor do I think the dock serves as a supplemental computing device as recent patents suggest. I think it's more likely that most games will be developed with 720p in mind while others (e.g. Super Smash Bros.) will have 1080p assets and will naturally look better when connected to a 1080p television.
I got the android Grand Theft Auto Vice City on ouya because it was in the Amazon store. I got Dead Trigger too.
Did they run well?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:52:30 AM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: September 05, 2016, 06:56:52 AM »
It doesn't get mentioned very much, but the storage issue does seem to be one of the biggest hurdles in implementing the hybrid concept. Having 25 GB game cards is all well and good until you want to sell those games digitally in that format.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: September 05, 2016, 07:37:17 AM »
Sadly, it's even worse than that. Wii U discs top out at 25 GB. Rumors state NX will have 32 GB cards available at launch which doesn't even take into account space needed for DLC. 64 GB cards may even pop up in the future. A lot of the games on PS4 greater than 32 GB probably aren't coming to NX anyway.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: September 05, 2016, 08:05:26 AM »
It'll be the GameCube all over again, losing games because of low capacity media.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1946 on: September 05, 2016, 10:08:37 AM »
Hopefully whatever SDK the system would have in this scenario would have good compression (in addition to the need to only have 720p assets) to keep the file size down.

And I can see a scenario where USB 3(.1) is advertised strictly as a storage port, with the 2.0 ports used for backwards compatible accessories. I've got a Skylanders portal and the Pokken pad, which doesn't need to transmit data that quickly. Some of you bought a thing to use the worst controllers ever on the Wii U and that ran off USB, which would work with the rumored Smash ultimate edition. And so on.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: September 05, 2016, 10:46:59 AM »
And I can see a scenario where USB 3(.1) is advertised strictly as a storage port, with the 2.0 ports used for backwards compatible accessories.

I sincerely hope that the USB ports can draw enough power individually for an external hard drive without the need for an external power supply.  Tracking down one of those split USB cables was a pain in the butt for the Wii U. 

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: September 05, 2016, 10:59:23 AM »
There's no reason Nintendo needs to mess with USB 2.0 on a console releasing in 2017.

I wonder if Nintendo will go the route of mandatory game installs. It doesn't seem likely with these rumors. It's funny, I've never had to fridge clean my Wii U Basic with my 250GB external hard drive in the nearly 4 years I've owned it but I've had to go and clear up space on my 500GB PS4 several times in less than a year of ownership. My copies of Little Inferno and Mighty Switch Force HD still live on my console ready to play at any time.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: September 05, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »
isn't there a new USB out that obsoletes all previous USB?

was it a different form factor or something?