Author Topic: Where are the cell-shading naysayers?  (Read 12001 times)

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Where are the cell-shading naysayers?
« on: March 31, 2003, 05:38:07 AM »
They seem to have disappeared now that Zelda is in their hands.  Maybe they've learned not to judge a game before they've played it.

Offline ResidentEvil

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 06:30:51 AM »
You've got one right here.  I'd give the game an "above average" rating, but not great.  The graphics still look crayola-ish.  I don't know why people are over-hyping this game as if it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  People skipping school just to play a video game?  Nintendo has some really sad fans.  Well I guess just because it's a "Zelda" game and it's the last decent game Nintendo will have on the market until...who knows when, that people put so much time and accolades into a game that will lose its luster, soon.  *Yawn*

Offline PorpoiseMuffins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 09:35:03 AM »
Uhhh... Actually... No.  Why are you here?

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2003, 09:58:32 AM »
I pity you for not being able to appreciate this game to the fullest extent.  
I'll shut up now...

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 10:31:30 AM »
Don't categorize everyone who wasn't quite happy with the cel-shading into the "too quick to judge" group. I think Wind Waker is easily one of the best games ever made, and certainly my favorite games ever, but I still think I would've enjoyed a Zelda game with a realistic a bit more. Just my opinion.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Laser60

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2003, 01:09:24 PM »
Its not just nintendo fans who love this game, its nearly everyone.  Look at gamerankings and look at all the ecellent reviews.  It's beautiful.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2003, 01:41:17 PM »
I STILL can't believe there are people who don't like the new style.  I think they should go for a CAT scan or something.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2003, 05:18:44 PM »
Yes, Resident Evil, and I'm sure the series you're named after is the epitome of good gaming.  Gimme a break.

Right on Grey Ninja.  I haven't even played the game yet (oh, one more day I hope. . . accursed Wal-mart should have sent it to me long ago), but I still love the graphics.  My passion, I'm sure, will be doubled when I play the game.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline ResidentEvil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2003, 11:36:11 AM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
Yes, Resident Evil, and I'm sure the series you're named after is the epitome of good gaming.  Gimme a break.

I never said it was, dumb@$$.  But it sure as hell does a better job w/ the graphics engine

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2003, 11:46:47 AM »
Richard, cool it with the insults.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2003, 12:17:52 PM »
"My passion, I'm sure, will be doubled when I play the game. "

Doubled is by far the wrong term- I prerfer the phrase quadrupled when referring to Wind Waker.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2003, 12:23:03 PM »
pointy chins, less then vissible noses, unaturally colored hair, big eyes...wtf people Ocarina of time was anime/manga styled. They really didnt change much. Theoretically switching to a cartoon look is more suiting to zelda. Zelda was always cartoony...hell i remember beign in toys r us playing majora's mask and soem one said it looked cartoony. All theyv doen is taken it a step further. Seriously half zelda games ever were was meeting homesexual characters that looked deformed and parodying them. Don't beleive me ask Tott(of coarse i was exagerating.....but you dont see people dancing around in the mdidle ages with rainbows on their backs always calling you guy...hey guy! i like to dance guy...wanna see my moves guy?). Everyone loved that. If they got rid of that it just wouldnt be zelda.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2003, 01:20:54 PM »
"wtf people Ocarina of time was anime/manga styled"

No it wasn't, man- it just had blocky graphics. REALLY blocky graphis by today's standards.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2003, 02:32:23 PM »
Don't give me graphics engine nonsense. . . I like Space Invaders more than Resident Evil.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but you should expect to be insulted if you disrespect people (especially Nintendo people, loyal fans, as you have noted yourself, and especially especially me).
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2003, 02:39:56 PM »
"But it sure as hell does a better job w/ the graphics engine"

Actually, the only reason Resident Evil had such good graphics was because only the characters, items, and enemies were done in real-time graphics while everything else, meaning all of the environments, were prerendered, aka FMV (hence 2 discs). Sure it looked great, but EVERYTHING in Wind Waker is done under the Gamecube's own power, and to me that's much more impressive.

Offline Mike-OPN2000

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2003, 03:10:00 PM »
People who arent videogame programmers dont realize just how difficult the cel-shaded visuals were to pull off.  It does look like a cartoon.  The animation is great, its runs steady at 30fps, and as always is fun to play.  I know there has been some debate about nintendo using same game engine for the sequel on Cube, I personally belive that it would be a shame if they didnt use it.  Just like Majora's Mask took the OoT engine and improved on it, the sequel to WW can do the same.

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2003, 03:17:23 PM »

Originally posted by: Mike-OPN2000
People who arent videogame programmers dont realize just how difficult the cel-shaded visuals were to pull off.  It does look like a cartoon.  The animation is great, its runs steady at 30fps, and as always is fun to play.  I know there has been some debate about nintendo using same game engine for the sequel on Cube, I personally belive that it would be a shame if they didnt use it.  Just like Majora's Mask took the OoT engine and improved on it, the sequel to WW can do the same.

so true- but the zelda cel-shading did a little more
they dont have those thick black outlines on the characters
also i think that zelda also used some of the same animation techniques that is used in the show south park
personally i always liked cel-shading and i think this was a good technique used for zelda
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2003, 03:31:59 PM »
I like this place, because I'm not surrounded by blind, ignorant idiots. . .

Offline zumpiez

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2003, 05:16:42 PM »

Originally posted by: rpglover

also i think that zelda also used some of the same animation techniques that is used in the show south park

They used construction paper cutouts?

Zelda > *

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2003, 06:13:52 AM »

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2003, 06:13:54 AM »
I liked the comment of my brother's wife: "THAT'S a videogame?!?!?  It doesn't look like a ideogame.  It looks just like a cartoon!"  Yep.  It's absolutely amazing.  No strange-looking characters with odd-looking points on their bodies... no pixelation.  Zelda looks beautiful.

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2003, 06:13:56 AM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
Zelda was always cartoony...hell i remember beign in toys r us playing majora's mask and soem one said it looked cartoony
EXACTLY.  I've heard people say the the cartoon-look doesn't suit Zelda, but if you look at the designs of older games like Ocarina, Link to the Past, and Legend of Zelda the style was always cartoonish.  Nintendo simply made the graphics match the cartoonish style.

IMHO, people who want an ultra-realistic look don't want to play Zelda (either this game or past cartoonish games).  They should go play Final Fantasy or Baldur's Gate.

Troy (Sidles off)

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2003, 10:41:15 AM »
"EXACTLY. I've heard people say the the cartoon-look doesn't suit Zelda, but if you look at the designs of older games like Ocarina, Link to the Past, and Legend of Zelda the style was always cartoonish. Nintendo simply made the graphics match the cartoonish style."

No, no, no- that was just people who deep down *didn't* like the cel-shading rationalizing Nintendo's choice of the graphical style by saying that's the way it's always been when that's NOT the way it's always been. LoZ was a very early NES game, so I'm sure Nintendo was more focused on getting the graphics to look close to what they were, meaning they had very little room for any kind of "style". A Link to the Past had a pretty cartoony look- not full blown, but the style of the graphics were a big change. The Oracles had a more anime influenced style (that's anime, NOT cartoons), and Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were both obviously pushing mainly for a realistic style. Granted the N64 couldn't convey that feeling perfectly, but with a few exceptions saying OoT and MM were cartoony is just a disillusion. Just face it- Nintendo changes the style of Zelda often and that's why *I* finally came to grips and accepted the graphical style, because I realized that all good things come to an end and it's important broaden the game's scope to other fields. Even so, there are many moments in Wind Waker that are decidedly realistic, despite the cel-shading (namely the Tower of the Gods).

What I find funny is if people say a realistic Zelda would've been better, immediatly someone jumps out with the argument that they don't want Nintendo to do the same thing over and over again and wear it out. Yet those SAME people turn around and claim Zelda's ALWAYS been cartoony and so people shouldn't be mad that it's cartoony now. If they don't want Nintendo using the same idea over and over again, why, according to them, are they perfectly content with a cartoon style for all *9* Zelda games?

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2003, 10:53:19 AM »
The cartoon shading and Link's design are new, but the Zelda style is the same.  The majority of characters in OoT and MM have a very cartoony style to them, despite the fact that the environments used more realistic textures.

!!
You know what I just realized?  There are no chickens in Wind Waker - what a jip!
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2003, 11:02:05 AM »
No chickens, but pigs, Dan!. They serve the same purpouse as well- wack them enough with your sword and you die.