Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1551557 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2400 on: June 29, 2011, 03:12:12 AM »
I'm planning another "Day @ the Movies" for the end of July.
Transformers 3 is one of the main reason's for that. I hope it will still be in the theaters at that time.
I'm also going to watch Capt. America + Cowboys & Aliens. If I'm not burnt out, or it just fits into the schedule, I'll probably go see Attack the Block since I missed the free viewing a month or so ago.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: June 29, 2011, 10:01:21 AM »
At least you'll be able to appreciate Captain America a bit more after watching Transformers 3. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2402 on: July 02, 2011, 11:51:05 PM »
Super 8. See this movie.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: July 03, 2011, 12:56:43 AM »
Like TF1, only at least Transformers has big robots fighting to bring in the money.

Transformers is a stupid series, with cringe-inducing acting, and ludicrous plots apparently written by an 8-year-old suffering from terminal ritalin withdrawal, directed by one of the biggest douchebags in the industry.

... but I see 'em all, in the biggest theater I can, because the damn robot SFX are so insanely jaw-dropping.

I stand by my belief that Transformers is basically Twilight for boys.

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: July 03, 2011, 01:38:08 AM »
Transformers is a stupid series, with cringe-inducing acting, and ludicrous plots apparently written by an 8-year-old suffering from terminal ritalin withdrawal, directed by one of the biggest douchebags in the industry.

... but I see 'em all, in the biggest theater I can, because the damn robot SFX are so insanely jaw-dropping.

I stand by my belief that Transformers is basically Twilight for boys.

Hmm, I suppose the acting in Twilight could be pretty accurately described as "jaw-dropping robot effects"...

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: July 03, 2011, 11:26:25 AM »
I also suppose that would have had to watch Twilight to accurately describe anything about it...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: July 03, 2011, 05:46:36 PM »
Limitless- I don't know which version of the movie I saw, but i remember wanting to see the movie real bad because of the trailer. The movie didn't disappoint. Two thumbs up.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: July 04, 2011, 11:58:20 AM »
X-Men: First Class: 9/10

Everything was brilliantly done, my only gripe being that I wish they had developed the friendship between Xavier and Magneto a little bit more.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: July 04, 2011, 09:41:26 PM »
I wish they had developed the friendship between Xavier and Magneto a little bit more.

Agreed. That was easily my biggest beef with the film. The mutual respect going forward really doesn't seem to have much of a basis given what little time is spent on building it up in these origin stories.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: July 06, 2011, 02:29:01 AM »
Pirates 4- back to being good
I saw this movie before it was called Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade...i kid i kid.

Transformers 3, still not good...but better. I was thinking 2 hours in i could have skipped the first 2 hours, but then every other good scene was followed by a dumb scene. I was rooting for the Decepticons by the end.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:31:06 AM by ThePerm »

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: July 09, 2011, 08:28:44 AM »
Thor: 6/10
Generic as hell. The best part of the movie was the clip after the credits.

The Adjustment Bureau: 9.6/10
Probably the best movie I've seen so far this year. The premise was good, and I really liked how they showed the story from the point of view of both Matt Damon and The Adjustment Bureau. Very interesting! The beginning of this movie was spectacularly funny, the middle was tense and intriguing (even if it did get a little too slow at some points), and the ending was succinct and inspiring.
I thought tying the story to the history of humanity's ups and downs was brilliant, as was having one 'angel' be more human than the rest, and one less emotional than all others. I wish Matt Damon would have asked the obvious question of, why can't I do both now that I have the knowledge that I need to, but the rest of the movie makes up for that.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2411 on: July 12, 2011, 08:39:04 PM »
In theatres:
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Great movie, one of the best of the year. I recommend seeing it in 3D if you can because it is just great. The storyling between Shia's character and generic blond actress seemed forced (and I don't buy that he could get her, she was way out of his league), but otherwise good movie. I wonder how they would do a fourth movie considering Megatron, Sentinel Prime, and Soundwave were all killed in the movie. Perm, why would you root for the Decepticons? They wanted to turn the Human race into slaves on Cybertron. The only characters I hated were Shia and the guy who was working to help the Decepticons.

At home:
Hotel Rwanda - Dragged on in a few places, but very interesting. The Hutu and Tutsi are basically the same (they did touch on this in the movie) with the Belgians sorting them based on stuff like how many cows they owned, so they actually had to check the ID's and names of people to know who to massacre.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:40:45 PM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: July 12, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »
I think i can answer that for Perm. Not enough movies have the enemy win. That's what made 'The Empire Strikes Back' the greatest of all the Star Wars movies. That's what made the 'Devil's Advocate' great. That's what made 'The Mist' incredibly memorable. That's what makes 'Fight Club' one of the greatest movies ever made.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: July 12, 2011, 09:04:46 PM »
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Great movie, one of the best of the year. I recommend seeing it in 3D if you can because it is just great. The storyling between Shia's character and generic blond actress seemed forced (and I don't buy that he could get her, she was way out of his league), but otherwise good movie. I wonder how they would do a fourth movie considering Megatron, Sentinel Prime, and Soundwave were all killed in the movie.

I get the feeling the sanctity of the Beast Wars and Beast Machines series are about to be violated.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: July 12, 2011, 10:33:44 PM »
That's what made 'The Mist' incredibly memorable.

I'll give you the others... but The Mist, really? That film was so utterly predictable, ending included. The only thing it accomplished was showing what whack jobs religious folk are. :P

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: July 12, 2011, 10:41:02 PM »
That's what made 'The Mist' incredibly memorable.

I'll give you the others... but The Mist, really? That film was so utterly predictable, ending included. The only thing it accomplished was showing what whack jobs religious folk are. :P:

I'm sure what you meant to say was "showing what whack jobs religious folks can be", right?

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: July 13, 2011, 09:36:51 AM »
I wish they had developed the friendship between Xavier and Magneto a little bit more.

Agreed. That was easily my biggest beef with the film. The mutual respect going forward really doesn't seem to have much of a basis given what little time is spent on building it up in these origin stories.

I missed this somehow last time, but it's that's so true. I'm hoping that in the sequel Xavier's team and Magneto's team aren't wholly against each other just yet, and they have to work together again, giving the two leaders a chance to grow closer and understand each other better.

Inception: 7/10
Pretty good, I liked the premise, but what ruined this movie for me was everyone talking about how weird and confusing it was, and then I didn't find it confusing at all. There were some things I didn't get completely and was corrected on them by my smart-ass 16yr old niece, but the movie itself wasn't so great. I didn't like where it started from, I didn't really like the wife, the architect, or the stretching of the plot to make it all come together in the end.

True Grit: 8/10
I was surprised by how good this was. I was expecting the typical man and small female child on a long journey movie, it was somewhat like that with her needing to be rescued toward the end but this is a very good movie about the way people live. The characters are all unique and beneficial to the story, it has a good pace with never a forced moment imo, and the acting was top-notch.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: July 13, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »
Inception: 7/10
Pretty good, I liked the premise, but what ruined this movie for me was everyone talking about how weird and confusing it was, and then I didn't find it confusing at all. There were some things I didn't get completely and was corrected on them by my smart-ass 16yr old niece, but the movie itself wasn't so great. I didn't like where it started from, I didn't really like the wife, the architect, or the stretching of the plot to make it all come together in the end.

I thought it was very well done. It's nice to see films still using traditional special effects and just enhancing them through CGI. The film really wasn't confusing though, as the entire story arch could been seen pretty easily once the rules of the universe were established. I thought that DiCaprio's acting felt pretty forced... but then, it always does. Likewise, I really didn't like the Ariadne character. Her ability to perceive and point out everything in such a short period of working time was rather annoying. I realize her character was essential to explain things to the audience, but it felt like a sloppy way to go. Still, it was one of two or three films I paid to go see in theaters that year and it was well worth the time and money. :P

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: July 13, 2011, 04:22:43 PM »
I think i can answer that for Perm. Not enough movies have the enemy win. That's what made 'The Empire Strikes Back' the greatest of all the Star Wars movies. That's what made the 'Devil's Advocate' great. That's what made 'The Mist' incredibly memorable. That's what makes 'Fight Club' one of the greatest movies ever made.

Also, i dont want to pick a stupid kids movie apart, but why the **** would giant robots need human slaves? Robots don't get tired, they don't get hungry, the don't **** and piss, and if they get bored they can always make drone workers that don't.

Also, Why not keep those teleportation pillars on the moon. Wouldn't it be a risk to leave them on an active planet where they can be attacked?

Why earth anyways? Don't say water. These are robots with intergalactic ability, they might as well mine Jupiter and its moons for hydrogen if they needed water.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:26:17 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: July 13, 2011, 05:31:10 PM »

Also, i dont want to pick a stupid kids movie apart, but why the **** would giant robots need human slaves? Robots don't get tired, they don't get hungry, the don't **** and piss, and if they get bored they can always make drone workers that don't.

Also, Why not keep those teleportation pillars on the moon. Wouldn't it be a risk to leave them on an active planet where they can be attacked?

Why earth anyways? Don't say water. These are robots with intergalactic ability, they might as well mine Jupiter and its moons for hydrogen if they needed water.
I'm assuming your talking about Transformers.

Shortpacked has an interesting link that explains some of that.
It involves the extended lore.

Though a robot would use Human slaves because their there and probably easier to use till their dead then building new robots.  Then they build the new robots.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: July 14, 2011, 12:12:37 AM »
im not going to pick it apart anymore than it has been

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: July 14, 2011, 03:34:40 AM »

I am sorry, but I have to point out Transformers does take a piss, the piss and a steaming dump in cinemas across the world. A movie has issues when the original cartoon made more sense.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: July 14, 2011, 10:19:21 PM »
The Sting

A classic movie with Robert Redford and Paul Newman.  Every grifting or conning movie or tv show has borrowed something from this at some point in time.  Definitely recommend it.

I really liked the few scenes that involve the assassins going after Redford.  They aren't some high octane chase scenes like you have today and it really seems to give them a much greater sense of danger.  Particularly when He returns to his apartment to see that the paper fell off the door.  He simply dives down the stairs in one leap and the assassin jumps out and takes a far away shot.  Done.

I also really want the suit Redford buys when he steals the money in the beginning.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:21:28 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: July 15, 2011, 02:42:13 AM »

I am sorry, but I have to point out Transformers does take a piss, the piss and a steaming dump in cinemas across the world. A movie has issues when the original cartoon made more sense.

well obviously metaphorical pisses are duly noted

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: July 15, 2011, 11:19:36 PM »
I rarely go to the movies these days, but I just got back from seeing Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows - Part 2.  I've been very critical of the movies for trying to do too little from the books in too short a time, but like Part 1 this movie is excellent.  There are sections of the original book that were seemingly written to be a movie script, and they lived up to my expectations.  I have a few minor nitpicks here and there with some elements from the book that are either changed or summarily dropped (such as the fate of Harry's wand, and how stretched-out the final battle is), but the movie is overall very faithful to the book.  I'm actually impressed that they managed to make that wonky epilogue from the book work in the movie as a fitting finale.  It helps, of course, that they split this final book into two halves so the script actually had room to breathe.  I especially liked the nice touch that despite the many crew changes that have occurred over the course of these movies, when characters return to locations from previous movies they look pretty much how you remember them.

It's amazing how much the quality of these Potter movies increased once they finally again picked a consistent director to helm them starting with Order of the Phoenix, rather than the nonsense of having a new director every movie that plagued Movies 3 and 4.  I just wish this guy had helmed those movies as well.  The books are still leagues better than these movies IMO, but the movies have become a decent substitute if you're not inclined to read them.  Highly recommended, though only if you've seen Part 1 or have read the books.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:04:48 AM by broodwars »