Author Topic: GameStop Approached Nintendo to Publish Xenoblade Chronicles  (Read 10036 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: GameStop Approached Nintendo to Publish Xenoblade Chronicles
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 04:05:10 PM »
In a way buying this USED from Gamestop would be the best way to stick it to NOA since they get no money for it.

That would hurt the chances of The Last Story coming out then because sales of Xenoblade will determine if it comes out here.

Hurt the chances? Only if you actually believe that NoA is seriously considering bringing The Last Story over to begin with.

Given what we know and what is rumored about Nintendo of America releasing Xenoblade, it's very difficult to believe that they are seriously looking at The Last Story unless Xenoblade greatly exceeds current sales expectations. To do that Xenoblade would need to overcome a limited release, virtually no effort or expense applied during publication, and minimal advertising support...

Somehow I don't think that used sales for a huge game that takes dozens of hours to complete are going to have much (if any) effect.
NNID: ejamer

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »
The rumor is that GameStop is only interested in helping to bring over Last Story (like they are with Xenoblade) if Xenoblade does well. So if people decide to buy the game used, they are hurting the chances of Last Story ever coming out here.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 04:19:40 PM »
Saying that preorders aren't doing that great right now is kind of stupid, since it was only announced a week ago and the game isn't coming out for almost four months. They expected people to go out of their way to preorder it immediately and wait that long? Especially if you want to get it from a physical GameStop location, why the hell would you go there during the madness of this shopping season, unless you were already going for some other reason, when you could wait until things calm down?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 04:31:09 PM »
Hmm... The real rational conclusion probably includes timing and visibility though.

When those preorders were placed, it was in the midst of the game getting a large grass-roots publicity push. Being in the public eye and actively discussed in many online gaming forums makes a game more desirable for many people. But publicity (and public interest) have largely dried up in the months it took for NoA to confirm that the game was coming.

You're saying the very demand that was the source of all the publicity declined because that publicity subsided? How exactly is that rational?

The movement gained the Public's eye only after it got the game to the #1 spot on Amazon. Meaning the initial pre-orders that got it to the top were made prior to the publicity. The movement drying up, explains lack of interest of pre-orders made from the publicity. Not, the initial pre-orders that created the publicity. Therefore there are two possibilities:

A.) There was a  grassroots effort that culminated from legitimate demand that was being unheard.

B.) There was a small, yet very organized minority group whose numbers weren't big enough to warrant a release but who worked together create the false appearance of being in larger in numbers to to warrant the release.

If the demand was legitimate in the first place, a lack of publicity wouldn't make it decline.

First, you should read the whole post. There are several things I think combine to account for a decline in interest. Fake preorders do matter, but are clearly not the only thing that matters.

Second, if you don't easily see why momentum and timing are important when releasing software in the gaming industry then it's unlikely anything I say will change your mind. Feel free to pick apart what I'm about to say, and I'll feel free to ignore you from here on out.

When there is a crowd of people talking about and passionate about a game, then other people become more interested and more likely to talk about/play/buy that game. A sense of momentum builds that increases the appeal of that game and artificially increases demand. In this case, the most fervent supporters have already imported while most of the other interested parties have changed their focus to the next hot release (and there is always a hot new release just around the corner in the gaming industry). Any momentum and demand generated by the European release of this game is dead, and everyone is sick of hearing about Operation Rainfall in North America.

Building hype and securing preorders a second time is usually more difficult than the first, because at least some of your core supporters have been lost. Asking people to actually put money down instead of just stating they have interest is a huge difference as well. I suspect that Nintendo will be lucky to get 25% of the preorders that were gathered previously simply because of how this release was handled - granted, 50% of the previous preorders might've been cancelled anyway so maybe it's not a big difference.
NNID: ejamer

Offline GrabMyBoomstick

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 08:44:55 PM »
Just put my pre-order in for Xenoblade yesterday when I picked up my copy of Skyward Sword. Hopefully The Last Story will make its way to the US as well.
Groovy