Author Topic: So, is the Wii Zapper worth getting?  (Read 11728 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
So, is the Wii Zapper worth getting?
« on: November 25, 2007, 10:03:21 AM »
I was looking forward to this, but after reading the review for it on this site I now have my doubts. An overall rating of 4.0 seems pretty bad...

Is this the view of everyone on the Wii Zapper? Has anyone who bought it actually like it? How does it play with the other games besides the Crossbow one it comes with?
is your sanity...

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE: So, is the Wii Zapper worth getting?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 10:28:59 AM »
Well my sister got it. She loves the crossbow game, but when we went to play Resident Evil with the Zapper she ended up switching back to the regular setup as she noted her accuracy was down. So yeah, I guess it's worthwhile if you think you will like Link's Crossbow training.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline wulffman04

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:So, is the Wii Zapper worth getting?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 10:33:39 AM »
well... it is only $20, it depends if you think the game and the zapper are worth it. Links crossbow training would be fun for those friends and family that might be interested in the whole wii thing. I will end up getting it just because $20 is worth it to me.
Follow the Hobo <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo#Hobo_code">Code![/url]

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 10:41:16 AM »
well, the thing is.....you don't really need it for the games that use it

the only advantage is you can hold the wii remote like an actual gun, instead of holding it like normal which is like holding a phasor from star trek the next generation.

other than that it doesn't really give a great advantage
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 10:58:49 AM »
I haven't played Crossbow traning yet, but so far I don't see how you can lose if you can stomach the molesting of the Zelda franchise to create a shooting gallery style game. I'm interested in trying out the zapper, and will hopefully get that chance later tonight
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 11:25:13 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

I haven't played Crossbow traning yet, but so far I don't see how you can lose if you can stomach the molesting of the Zelda franchise to create a shooting gallery style game. I'm interested in trying out the zapper, and will hopefully get that chance later tonight
Oh come on. All of the recent the mainstream mainline Zelda games have a shooting gallery style mini-game, in them. Tell me how many have not had some kind of archery or hookshot aiming skill game to earn rupees or heart containers or other helpful items.

So why is pulling out the archery skill test mini-game contained with in mainline Zelda games "molesting" the Zelda franchise?  
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 11:40:54 AM »

Originally posted by: 31 Flavas

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Oh come on. All of the recent the mainstream mainline Zelda games have a shooting gallery style mini-game, in them. Tell me how many have not had some kind of archery or hookshot aiming skill game to earn rupees or heart containers or other helpful items.

So why is pulling out the archery skill test mini-game contained with in mainline Zelda games "molesting" the Zelda franchise?

I think what she means is that this is the first time Nintendo has used the Zelda series to sell a peripheral and created a spin off like mini game disc to do so.

In short, "the first time Nintendo has whored Zelda outside the main games".
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 12:10:33 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64

I think what she means is that this is the first time Nintendo has used the Zelda series to sell a peripheral and created a spin off like mini game disc to do so.

Perhaps this is just nitpicking, but didn't Nintendo "whore" out Zelda with the 4 swords adventure game to sell GBAs and link cables? Or use the mainline GBC Zelda's to pimp the GameBoy Camera? What about the Tingle Tuner in Windwaker?

It just seems rather arbitrary to now call "molestation" on something that has been standard issue, and well recieved, in nearly all Zelda games. Why can't that, like 4-swords was, be fleshed out into a game that will give value to the Wii Zapper? Link's crossbow training is quite short, maybe an hour or two to get all platinum medals, but it is by no means a crappy game.  
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 12:19:14 PM »

Well when the game only cost $20 and comes with a giant piece of plastic, I wouldn't consider that whoring.  Now if they release a Zelda Party or a Zelda Golf and charge $50 for it, then I'd say they're whoring the series out.  
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 12:36:58 PM »

Perhaps this is just nitpicking, but didn't Nintendo "whore" out Zelda with the 4 swords adventure game to sell GBAs and link cables? Or use the mainline GBC Zelda's to pimp the GameBoy Camera? What about the Tingle Tuner in Windwaker?

It just seems rather arbitrary to now call "molestation" on something that has been standard issue, and well recieved, in nearly all Zelda games. Why can't that, like 4-swords was, be fleshed out into a game that will give value to the Wii Zapper? Link's crossbow training is quite short, maybe an hour or two to get all platinum medals, but it is by no means a crappy game.

Just in case, I don't mind Link's crossbow training. I am trying to guess why some people are annoyed by it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 12:54:18 PM »

Just in case, I don't mind Link's crossbow training. I am trying to guess why some people are annoyed by it.
Yea, for the record, I wasn't slighting you.

Getting back on topic.... (I'll try, at least)

Whether or not Wii Zapper is "worth it", I'd hazard a guess, is going to be subjective. Find a friend, maybe ask at an EB/GS if you can demo one. Regardless, I think you'll get $10 of enjoyment out of the game. If the Zapper does nothing for you, you can sell it for $10 to a friend that wants an extra, or on Craig's list, or eBay. Hell, i'll buy it from you for $10.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 01:52:32 PM »

The key points being that all those mentioned games were full fledged Zelda games, even Four Swords even if it was streamlined a bit. Link's Crossbow training is a shooting gallery game that has Link use something he hasn't ever SEEN in previous games. Next I suppose Nintendo will bring out Zelda the Light Gun game. Zelda never was meant to be a mini game collection, which is basically what Link's Crossbow training is. It is almost as bad as Metroid Pinball was even though I liked that game, though I cannot deny it whored out the franchise to something it was never intended to be.  Also I do not believe I called it a bad game, but it doesn't change the fact that Nintendo is sucking off the Zelda franchise to make mini-game shooting gallery for a series that has been about adventuring and puzzle solving.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 02:26:23 PM »
Zelda was never meant to be 3D either. Things change.

TP didn't even have a shooting gallery did it?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 02:32:57 PM »
Can't wait for Zelda-Odama pinball with peripheral paddle accessories to fit over your Remote + Nunchak.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 02:59:56 PM »
Tetra's Trackers
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline MilkManX

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 03:38:38 PM »
I love the Zapper. I think it is getting alot of flack for various reasons.

1.) It takes time to adjust to it especially if you are use to just holding the Wii Mote

2.) Once you adjust(I am a righty and I found it better when I have my right hand on the trigger area and my left on the chuck...which is totally backwards from the Sub Machine Gun shape of the unit) it becomes alot better.

3.) I dont know about anyone else but I am having alot of fun with it and thats what I like about it!
Wii Friend Code 3896 5966 4421 6752

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 03:53:28 PM »
I played Link's Crossbow Training and MOH Heroes 2 with the Wii Zapper - and I think it totally kicks ass. Sure it doesn't actually change how you play the game, but it definitely gives you a more authentic "light gun feel" when you play the games. If you're not going to get games like MOH Heroes 2, Link's Crossbow Training (which is packed in obviously), Resident Evil: the Umbrella Chronicles, Ghost Squad, and the upcoming House of the Dead games, then you have no reason to get one, but if you are into those games, then you owe it to yourself to buy a Wii Zapper. It's awesome. On a side note, if you have the Nyko Charge Station, which includes replacement battery covers/grips, then you need to remove the grips when you use the Wii Zapper, or it doesn't completely "lock" into place, which is only an issue when reloading in arcade mode in MOH.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 04:17:12 PM »

Originally posted by: Brandogg
I played Link's Crossbow Training and MOH Heroes 2 with the Wii Zapper - and I think it totally kicks ass. Sure it doesn't actually change how you play the game, but it definitely gives you a more authentic "light gun feel" when you play the games. If you're not going to get games like MOH Heroes 2, Link's Crossbow Training (which is packed in obviously), Resident Evil: the Umbrella Chronicles, Ghost Squad, and the upcoming House of the Dead games, then you have no reason to get one, but if you are into those games, then you owe it to yourself to buy a Wii Zapper. It's awesome. On a side note, if you have the Nyko Charge Station, which includes replacement battery covers/grips, then you need to remove the grips when you use the Wii Zapper, or it doesn't completely "lock" into place, which is only an issue when reloading in arcade mode in MOH.

QFT. The Zapper is awesome and feels great, plus LCT is a great pack-in game and happens to be a ton of fun. After using the Zapper to play Ghost Squad, I couldn't imagine playing it without it.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 04:59:58 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Zelda was never meant to be 3D either. Things change.

TP didn't even have a shooting gallery did it?

Except that Zelda has always been about adventuring and puzzle solving from day 1, not some stand alone light gun shooter. While the graphical presentation has changed, the core basics of the series has stayed in tact with mini-games as more a fun diversion. Even Four Swords had those elements. I'm just worried that Nintendo is going to go down the Mario route with Zelda now that its popularity is waining and I see Link's Crossbow as a potential first step to whoring out the license like they attempted to do with Metroid Pinball, arguably even Hunters, genres that the series was never meant to be turned into.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 05:23:40 PM »
No. Rage against the cheapening of the great game. RAGE.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 05:48:54 PM »
I quite enjoyed Metroid Prime Pinball, and would probably have no problem with Metroid Prime Pinball 2, if they made it... in my mind, it could become its own little sub-franchise with its fantastic graphics and clever implementation of Metroid regulars into well-designed pinball tables.

I haven't played Link's Crossbow Training, but the impression I get is: it seems less like "whoring out the Zelda name" and more like "reusing the resources from Twilight Princess" because it's a low-budget game and reusing resources is cheap. I don't see this as a turning point or a worrying trend for the Zelda series... it could just as easily have looked like Wii Play or Wii Sports, but the Zelda world is a better fit for this sort of 3D game.

I also can't  fathom why people keep complaining about Link using a crossbow. The world of Twilight Princess does seem like its technology is at the level where crossbows would exist.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 05:55:05 PM »

Originally posted by: LuigiHann
I quite enjoyed Metroid Prime Pinball, and would probably have no problem with Metroid Prime Pinball 2, if they made it... in my mind, it could become its own little sub-franchise with its fantastic graphics and clever implementation of Metroid regulars into well-designed pinball tables.

I haven't played Link's Crossbow Training, but the impression I get is: it seems less like "whoring out the Zelda name" and more like "reusing the resources from Twilight Princess" because it's a low-budget game and reusing resources is cheap. I don't see this as a turning point or a worrying trend for the Zelda series... it could just as easily have looked like Wii Play or Wii Sports, but the Zelda world is a better fit for this sort of 3D game.

I also can't  fathom why people keep complaining about Link using a crossbow. The world of Twilight Princess does seem like its technology is at the level where crossbows would exist.

Whoring is pretty much stamping a respected franchise onto an unrelated genre (with a low budget usually) or takes one element not related to the overall genre of the game(Some of Ratchet and Clank games come to mind) and putting it on the market to make a cheap buck. They've been doing it with the Mario series ever since its inception. BTW like I said I liked Metroid Pinball but I cannot deny it was a low budget knockoff to suck off the Metroid name!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2007, 09:11:42 PM »
Okay, then this is whoring out the Zelda franchise. It isn't the first time, even if Four Swords itself wasn't, Tetra/Navi Trackers was. So what? As you said, they've done it with Mario forever. Did you ever once during Galaxy say or think "This is great, but it would have been so much better if Nintendo had never made Mario Party!"? How does the whoring in any way diminish the consistent greatness of the mainline games in Nintendo's series? If the answer is, and I think it is, "it doesn't", then who cares if they whore out the franchises from time to time, especially considering that we usually get a good game out of it?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2007, 09:24:43 PM »
Even better, did you or stop to think, geez, Galaxy would be so much more fun if they never made Mario Kart? No. Of course not. Because Mario Kart is made of epic win. Not withstanding the Mario franchise is better off because of this "whoring", this molestation, as GP would have you believe it is.

Link's crossbow training is no different.

GP is made of fail and lose.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 11:56:53 PM »
As for the whoring out of the Zelda Franchise, wasn't that already done before with Tingle?
is your sanity...