Author Topic: No Online for Metroid 3  (Read 13616 times)

Offline therat

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
No Online for Metroid 3
« on: July 03, 2007, 07:19:35 AM »
"It's something we talked about early on, but we only have so many resources. We opted to devote those resources to making a better single-player experience," he said.

source

Thanks nintendo! keep lying to us kiddies! I dont know how i feel about all this lack of nintendo online. they shouldnt even put wifi on the wii and sold it for 100$.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: No Online for Metroid 3
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 07:26:58 AM »
Dear Nintendo,

Thank you for not wasting your time and instead making the best game you can.

~Me
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:No Online for Metroid 3
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 07:30:59 AM »
That was the only thing that would have made me consider buying it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 07:33:09 AM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R

I may not have finished either Prime or Echoes myself, but I know a non-believer when I see one.  

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 07:50:21 AM »
I wouldn't have minded online multiplayer though I'd take a better overall Metroid game than Echoes over online multiplayer in Metroid any day.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 07:58:04 AM »
Well nothing surprising here. It is disheartening, but I'm sure the game is going to be awesome regardless. At least it won't be the giant mess that MPH was, where neither the single player nor the multiplayer was very compelling.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 08:08:39 AM »
what? Nintendo never lied, in fact the denied online from way back when the game was announced, you have only yourself to blame for the dissapointment.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 08:18:44 AM »
WHY DO PEOPLE CARE SO MUCH ABOUT ONLINE!

Does noone like to read a compelling book these days? Or watch a heroic movie by yourself? Why are games so different, especially one that focuses on a LONELY bounty hunter?!

I say good riddance(sp?)!
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 08:25:14 AM »
So sorry all you Halo-Loving poser Metroid fans, but your tears of sadness taste like candy to me.

But seriously, Nintendo/Retro has been saying there wasn't going to be multiplayer in this game for over a year now. This shouldn't surprise anyone even a little.

Just think about it though! Retro has spent the better part of the last three years crafting/refining this game, and likely cramming in more detail, more art, more lighting effects, and more AWESOME into this game, we probably won't see this stuff again until Retro makes another Wii game.

It gives me chills. The good kind.  

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 08:26:32 AM »
This is when I lose hope for Nintendo fans.

1) Nintendo never said it would come.  It was theorized by game journalists when it was no longer a launch title and through some nebulous remarks by Reggie that said more or less "I can't tell you what Retro is doing."

2) Who cares.  Focus on the single player.  If you want an online shooter so bad, let the FPS muscle that is Retro be flexed in a completely new IP.

Christ people if you want Halo 3 go buy a damn 360.  The Wii aint neva' gon' have it.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 08:29:13 AM »
Yeah why is this a surprise? As was stated before multiple times above me Nintendo / Retro Studios had previously declared there to be no multiplayer in the game.

They said they wanted to maintain all focus on the single player elements to make sure the game could be as good as it was ever going to be. That's all that matters to me and hey it's a metroid game, it's ALL about the single player experience anyway.

Edit: The only games I will truly be mad at for not being online will be SSBB and the next Mario Kart. So long as MP3 delivers a fantastic one player experience I will be happy.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 08:43:26 AM »

Same. Nintendo just sold me a copy of Redsteel 2.

I don't intend to buy a 360 or Halo because I despise the filth that is microsoft, but beyond that, analogue controller-driven FPSes suck a whole pile of sweaty ass.

I want a Wiimote-driven online FPS. I don't care that it's not Metroid. The first company to make one will have my $50 on launch, guaranteed.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 08:55:45 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

I don't intend to buy a 360 or Halo because I despise the filth that is microsoft, but beyond that, analogue controller-driven FPSes suck a whole pile of sweaty ass.

I want a Wiimote-driven online FPS. I don't care that it's not Metroid. The first company to make one will have my $50 on launch, guaranteed.

QFT.

I really don't understand why everyone is so anti-online. It's not the greatest thing in the world but it sure gives you more bang for your buck and more of a reason to pick up the game and play after the single player has been conquered. Since when is getting more for your money a bad thing? For years and years and years PC game shave included online multi and it carried those games well beyond a normal life-cycle of a game with that single feature.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 08:56:05 AM »
It's fine if non-Metroid fans wonder at the lack of multiplayer, and opt to sit this one out. Metroid is actually a pretty hardcore game, almost niche-y, and that should be perfectly fine with those of us who DO love it, and understood and accepted by those of us who don't.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 08:58:54 AM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack

QFT.

I really don't understand why everyone is so anti-online. It's not the greatest thing in the world but it sure gives you more bang for your buck and more of a reason to pick up the game and play after the single player has been conquered. Since when is getting more for your money a bad thing? For years and years and years PC game shave included online multi and it carried those games well beyond a normal life-cycle of a game with that single feature.

We're not anti-online. It's just that Metroid Prime is SO GOD-AWFUL not suited for online at all. (The Metroid universe though...?)

We want to see online done right, not shoe-horned in to become a half-hearted bullet point on a meaningless feature list. And... *shrug* that means no online for Metroid Prime 3.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 08:59:39 AM »
I personally loved Hunters because it gave me the chance to not only play with but TALK TO fellow PGC forumers. Sadly, not many people here will likely buy RS2 so I'll have a smaller pool to draw from.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 09:00:27 AM »

I really don't understand why everyone is so anti-online. It's not the greatest thing in the world but it sure gives you more bang for your buck and more of a reason to pick up the game and play after the single player has been conquered.

Don't get me wrong, or any of us wrong, I don't feel we're 'anti-online' but remember Retro said they cut out the multiplayer aspect to pretty much get the single player aspect as perfect as they can.

So I am happy about no online just because it is guaranteeing a better single player experience. It would be different if they just said "Well we don't like multiplayer so we said screw it this time around", they just want to make the best Matroid experience they can and that's all about single player.

I'm sure an awesome FPS will come along and be online for Wii and I too will buy it but I am not upset that MP3 isn't that game.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 09:00:53 AM »

I personally loved Hunters because it gave me the chance to not only play with but TALK TO fellow PGC forumers. Sadly, not many people here will likely buy RS2 so I'll have a smaller pool to draw from.

I will! You know I will!  

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I will! You know I will!

Yes, I know.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 09:02:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro

I really don't understand why everyone is so anti-online. It's not the greatest thing in the world but it sure gives you more bang for your buck and more of a reason to pick up the game and play after the single player has been conquered.

Don't get me wrong, or any of us wrong, I don't feel we're 'anti-online' but remember Retro said they cut out the multiplayer aspect to pretty much get the single player aspect as perfect as they can.

So I am happy about no online just because it is guaranteeing a better single player experience. It would be different if they just said "Well we don't like multiplayer so we said screw it this time around", they just want to make the best Matroid experience they can and that's all about single player.

I'm sure an awesome FPS will come along and be online for Wii and I too will buy it but I am not upset that MP3 isn't that game.

I would've gladly waited a few more months to have online multiplayer.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not some sort of casual Metroid fan. I am a strong supporter of the series and have played and beat every single Metroid game to ever come out. I just don't see how you can't build multiplayer into the game. Sure the game's focus is around flying solo, but that doesn't really have anything to do with a multiplayer portion of the game. Had Nintendo delayed the game for a few more months and included online multiplayer I'm sure they would've moved a few more copies of the game and satisfied a much larger crowd than just the niche Nintendo fan.  
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 09:08:09 AM »

I would've gladly waited a few more months to have online multiplayer.

Some of us believe that you could wait as long as you want, it wouldn't be good.

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007, 09:27:39 AM »

Truth! Every word!

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 10:28:57 AM »
Truth be told I actually don't mind this at all.  We really don't need another blunder like Metroid Prime Hunters in terms of multiplayer which is exactly what would happen.  If I'm not mistaken Red Steel 2 is supposed to be online and as long as they do a better job this time than they did the last I don't see why that wouldn't be enough.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 10:33:51 AM »

Originally posted by: darknight06  We really don't need another blunder like Metroid Prime Hunters in terms of multiplayer which is exactly what would happen.

Minus hand cramping and some balance issues, MPH online was AWESOME.

If NST remade hunters on the Wii with Wiimote controls, I'd be insanely happy with it.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 10:44:23 AM »
But is it worth it?

Why not use some other IP or make a new one entirely?
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 10:47:19 AM »
Metroid Prime Hunters really wasn't a bad game, but I'm not disappointed that online isn't included for MP3..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 11:00:40 AM »
they never promised such thing, and the SP portion will be top-notch, so I couldn't care less about the lack of multiplayer
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2007, 11:20:07 AM »

Originally posted by: darknight06
If I'm not mistaken Red Steel 2 is supposed to be online and as long as they do a better job this time than they did the last I don't see why that wouldn't be enough.

Haha. This is Red Steel we're talking about. "Enough" is... sorta... stratospheric...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 11:28:30 AM »
This gives me an idea.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2007, 12:39:27 PM »
Well, the game will be great, no doubt, but with all this demand for a Wii-make compilation of the first two, Retro, or perhaps a newer scrub studio could attempt on revamping the control and graphics of the first two games, while also working on a multi-player aspect.

That's an option I think Nintendo will consider, but I have to say, I think Retro is about ready to do something a bit new and different, and I don't exactly see HAL or EAD developing a rich first-person shooter multi-player experience happily.  I imagine they'd want a Western developer, since the game is an FPS/FPA, but really, I don't think Nintendo likes to work with Western devs using their own IP.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2007, 01:21:11 PM »
There is going to be a major race to be the first online FPS on the Wii once Nintendo really opens the door and lets developers fully understand how the online strategy for the Wii works.

I am really excited for Red Steel 2, and I hope that the team actually creates a better experience than what was available for the first game.  However, I am sure many developers are waiting for Metroid Prime 3 and are waiting to see how Retro designs its game.  It will obviously be the most polished FPS to date...and many developers will copy the feel of its controls.

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2007, 04:38:18 PM »
Imagine, if you will, the pre-order bonus for Metroid Prime 3 is a Wii-tooled Metroid Prime Hunters. NST could handle the porting and then everyone could have the lovely cake that will be Prime 3 and the lucious frosting that is Hunters: Wii Edition. But alas, it is merely one fan's silly dream.
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline ShineGet887

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2007, 04:51:47 PM »
This doesn't really bother me because... * Prepares to be crucified * I've never really liked the Metroid games. It's not like I haven't tried to, heck, I own Zero Mission, Prime, Echoes, Super Metroid, and Metroid. I don't know what it is, but the whole gameplay style of the series never really appealed to me, I guess I'm just more of a Mario kinda guy.

Anyway, while I don't really have a dog in this fight, I don't see why any self-respecting Metroid fan could be upset about this development. It's a single player series, and it should stay a single player series.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2007, 05:11:36 PM »
You didn't even like Super Metroid?! ::prepares the cross:: ~_^

Offline ShineGet887

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2007, 05:54:05 PM »

You didn't even like Super Metroid?! ::prepares the cross:: ~_^

Yeah, I don't know what it is about the series I could never get into, it's not that I don't think they're good games, I guess it's just not my style. Heck, a buddy of mine can't get into Zelda for the same reason, and we're both life-long Nintendo fans.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2007, 06:00:08 PM »
I have trouble getting into the 3D Zeldas, but I love most of the 2D ones.  I can't imagine why you wouldn't like Super Metroid, though.  To each his own, I suppose.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2007, 06:09:16 PM »
I still want that Mii based first person shooter we had the idea about a while ago.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2007, 06:17:38 PM »
It's cool ShineGet I'm just playin =)

To each their own, not everyone will like the same games, I mean I don't really get into the Final Fantasy games for example, though many of my friends LOVE the series I just can't get into it like them.

Oh and I know what you mean thatguy even though I love Zelda, truth be told I didn't like OoT all that much. I often get yelled at for how amazing it was but I felt the games concepts were ahead of the technology and WW and TP do a better job refining the gameplay and representing Zelda in 3D.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2007, 06:51:22 PM »
Why is it alright for a developer to release a fps that only has online and yet not for them to release one that only has single player?  I want to hear the bitching about Battlefield having no single player campaign.  Metroid has always been about big single player experiences so no complaints from me.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2007, 08:06:07 PM »
NO ONLINE, YES!

THIS IS JUSTICE
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2007, 08:08:37 PM »
Online only suggests (but does not guarantee) better, if not infinite, replay value. That's why.

Nintendo fans want their Halo. The Prime series is in 1st person so its natural to put the two together. I'd rather Retro make their own original FPS so they're free to do what they want and no Metroid fan can say, "That's not Metroid!" I think an original IP is doable by Winter 2009. Long ways off, but I like what I've heard about Prime 3 and I wouldn't want the game to be pushed back any further just so they can add multiplayer.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2007, 08:20:50 PM »
Well I know their initial stance on the Wii is that it is too weak to do what they want but . . .

Free Radical Design could always end up making TimeSplitters 4 on Wii. Personally I like the TimeSplitter games (well future perfect specifically) more than Halo. I would love to see what they could do with the Wii and it's controls.

Though an original first or second party IP would be awesome.  

Offline ShineGet887

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2007, 08:36:40 PM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel
Why is it alright for a developer to release a fps that only has online and yet not for them to release one that only has single player?  I want to hear the bitching about Battlefield having no single player campaign.  Metroid has always been about big single player experiences so no complaints from me.

I don't even consider the Prime series true FPS' though, they're more or less action adventure games from a first person perspective, and while they may share -some- FPS characteristics, they're far more exploration-based.  

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2007, 08:59:11 PM »
Only people who don't know what the hell they're talking about consider the Prime games first person shooters. That's not even tongue-in-cheek either.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2007, 09:11:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Adrock
Online only suggests (but does not guarantee) better, if not infinite, replay value. That's why.

Nintendo fans want their Halo. The Prime series is in 1st person so its natural to put the two together. I'd rather Retro make their own original FPS so they're free to do what they want and no Metroid fan can say, "That's not Metroid!" I think an original IP is doable by Winter 2009. Long ways off, but I like what I've heard about Prime 3 and I wouldn't want the game to be pushed back any further just so they can add multiplayer.

I agree with you, I want to see Retro create an original IP, in fact I think Nintendo NEEDS them to in order to help push Nintendo into the next generation with an IP that can suck in "gamers" who aren't into Nintendo's current IPs (I think you have to be nuts to not enjoy a good Nintendo IP but hey you have to do what you have to do). It could even be a Halo killer, or better yet maybe they can tackle another genre entirely that will have mass "hardcore" appeal.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2007, 09:24:58 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

or better yet maybe they can tackle another genre entirely that will have mass "hardcore" appeal.

Hmm. . . Raven Blade anyone?  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2007, 09:26:51 PM »

or better yet maybe they can tackle another genre entirely that will have mass "hardcore" appeal.

Well I say if they can pull off a great game (I heard Raven Blade had a very shaky start) then they should go for it. Maybe with Miyamoto's guidance they can actually do it, like they did with Metroid Prime.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2007, 09:31:23 PM »

Well I say if they can pull off a great game (I heard Raven Blade had a very shaky start) then they should go for it. Maybe with Miyamoto's guidance they can actually do it, like they did with Metroid Prime.

Oh no doubt. Miyamoto's guidance and influence is always a good thing.

Plus the development team is (probably) more 'matured' since working on these past 3 Metroid titles, I'm sure they learned a lot of what works and what doesn't and it'll definitely help with whatever title they tackle next.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2007, 05:04:46 AM »
I'm sure Retro learned a lot more than Silicon Knights.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2007, 05:40:29 AM »
I know there are those who'll disagree, but if MP3's engine is as good as it has been sounding, Retro (or someone) could possibly take it and make an on-line only Metroid Prime 3.5 or such.  Or even use the engine and make a whole new game with a focus on online multiplayer.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2007, 05:54:22 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
I know there are those who'll disagree, but if MP3's engine is as good as it has been sounding, Retro (or someone) could possibly take it and make an on-line only Metroid Prime 3.5 or such.  Or even use the engine and make a whole new game with a focus on online multiplayer.

Sounds like and needs more Metroid Prime Hunters 2.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2007, 07:10:52 AM »
Excellent news.  Anything that keeps the FPS fans out of Metroid Prime is a good thing.  Those who b!tch about a game that was never supposed to play like an FPS are no different than those who back in 1998 b!tched that Ocarina of Time didn't have a jump button.  The only difference is Nintendo gave those people several 3D platformers so they got off Zelda's back and they haven't given us a real FPS so people want to turn Metroid into one.  Metroid should remain Metroid.  It's not a game for everybody and I don't think it ever should be because I think that would require it to lose a lot of what gives it its appeal.  Still I DO want a good FPS from Nintendo and have ever since Nintendo lost Rare, and thus lost Perfect Dark.  It would best for everyone if Nintendo made that FPS and made it a new IP.  Then everyone would get what they want and not both be trying to dictate the direction of one franchise they seem to be forced to share.  I don't even think the FPS people necessarily want a Metroid FPS.  I think they just want ANY FPS (that's what I want anyway) so it's not like a new IP would bomb or anything.

Retro would also probably do a fantastic job of an original FPS.  Considering they've done three Metroids in a row I think it's ideal for them to have a break and make something different.  After all back when Metroid was only a trilogy there was only one game per system so it's not like the Wii will need another Metroid Prime game after this one.  The Wii is selling so well Nintendo can take the risk and have Retro work on something else.  Besides Metroid Prime is never going to be the system seller they want it to be.  It's too, well, GOOD for lack of a better term.

And I'm not anti-online I just see no need to include it when it's not needed, particularly when those calling for it don't really want a real Metroid game in the first place.  Now if SSB or Mario Kart or F-Zero are revealed to not be online you're going to hear me b!tching because in that case not going online makes no sense.  Online is like 3D.  When it makes sense it's awesome but there's a time and place for it and too often people just demand it because it's new and modern and popular.  Motion control is also slowing becoming like this as everyone just asks for it whether it makes sense to use it or not.

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2007, 07:30:42 AM »
I'd like to eventually see a kick-ass online Wii-mote FPS on the Wii sometime with great atmosphere and fluid, exciting play. I just don't think this game needs to be that particular game.

Instead of taking an existing franchise and making it something it's not, I'd like to see a developer step up to the plate and take the challenge of making a whole new FPS franchise that fluidly integrates online play and the controller.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2007, 08:30:38 AM »
"Excellent news. Anything that keeps the FPS fans out of Metroid Prime is a good thing."

We agree on something.

Too bad that nemo guy isn't here anymore LAFFO

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2007, 08:52:51 AM »
The MP2 multiplayer was bad so why would anyone want to play MP3 in multiplayer, anyway?

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2007, 05:10:51 PM »
The more I think about it the more I realize everyone is trying to pigeon hole games into a specific category.  A first person view doesn't mean a game has to be based on twitch game play.  Games of all sorts should be able to be played though all kinds of perspective.  The press and many people want to force it to be like other games though and I think that is bad for games overall.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »
To be fair though, a FPS doesn't mean it has to be based on twitch game play either...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
Complaining about a lack of multiplayer in Metroid (online or off) is ridiculous because you're essentially asking Retro to make two games in one.

Prime 2 proved that that style of gameplay is not conducive to multiplayer. Making Metroid into a great multiplayer experience would require changing the basic formula into something completely different.

Metroid Prime Hunters made for an excellent multiplayer game, but was lacking in the single player mode because they designed it first and foremost as a FPS, and that just doesn't translate well for Metroid.

I wonder if it's ever going to sink in that the term "First Person Adventure" isn't just some nonsense buzzword made up by Nintendo. Did Deus Ex suffer from a lack of multiplayer?
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2007, 09:07:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Urkel
Did Deus Ex suffer from a lack of multiplayer?

Deus Ex had multiplayer.
GOREGASM!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2007, 12:29:37 AM »
Though there is really no reason to argue my point further, Metroid as an online FPS most certainly works and MPH is a great indicator of that. The only thing that really killed that game was Alt-Forms. If you played with other people who barred using those moves from the game in the capacity many people were using them, the game was a ton of fun. I'm sure something similar could've been included in MP3 and it too would've been fun. Sure it would've meant more development time, and that may not be feasible which I can understand, but to say that multiplayer just doesn't belong in Metroid is kind of ridiculous.

If I was to get a different FPS from Nintendo I would be pretty happy, but not getting online in Metroid is disappointing because it is a unique game that bears some similarity to an FPS that could have a very compelling online component that is like no other FPS out there. A Metroid online FPS multiplayer mode is far more interesting to me than some crappy online WWII FPS game, or that hunk of sh!t, Halo 3.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2007, 01:28:53 AM »
MPH was barely any more of a Metroid game than Super Smash Bros. is.  The only thing MPH demonstrates is how to dilute a franchise.
GOREGASM!

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2007, 03:32:14 AM »
wasn't Geist multiplayer fun? thats what I've read as the only good thing of the game...
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2007, 03:37:20 AM »
I would like a Metroid multiplayer game, but only in the Metroid universe. It doesn't need to have any relation to Samus or even bear the Metroid title.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2007, 03:41:19 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
wasn't Geist multiplayer fun? thats what I've read as the only good thing of the game...

Geist single player was insanely awesome.

You got to possess a pile of plates and fling them into a chef's face, possess grenades and make them roll up to people and explode and possess a showerhead in a women's locker room.

Geist is easily the #1 game I'd recommend be ported to the Wii. The only complaint I ever heard about the game was about the analogue control. An updated port, especially one with online play, would be awesome.

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
The MP2 multiplayer was bad so why would anyone want to play MP3 in multiplayer, anyway?

Because Metroid Hunters' multiplayer was excellent.

I'd like NST to port MPH to the Wii, personally. I'd buy that in a heartbeat whereas I have zero intention of buying MP3.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Excellent news.  Anything that keeps the FPS fans out of Metroid Prime is a good thing.

Anything that keeps people who don't own a Wii from talking about it as if they do would also be a good thing.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2007, 03:48:56 AM »
ARGH NO!

NO MORE PORTS! even this game I haven't played, make Geist 2, polish it, improve on it, retain what worked and dropped what it didn't, why is everyone so damn fixated on ports!!? stop approving Nintendo's laziness.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2007, 03:59:39 AM »
A port is when a company releases an already-established game onto a console at full price, like Ubi did with pretty much everything.

An update is when they rerelease a game with a budget price and some more features, generally done if the game didn't achieve it's full potential before.

Iwata said they were considering rereleasing some GC titles with budget pricing on the Wii.

I almost assume RE4 was the first of this. It's only a travesty when they charge full price for it. There'd be nothing wrong with a $30 Wii-enabled Eternal Darkness, MGS: Twin Snakes and Geist.

All of these games have one thing in common: none of them got the press they deserved and were excellent games. A Wii rerelease could get people who previously had no idea these games even existed to give them a try and even look forward to a sequel.

The ironic truth? ED, MGS and Geist could be given Wii-releases and I'd guess that a healthy 40% of Wii owners who buy them wouldn't even realize that these are ports of old games because the GC was so much lower in profile. These games have a much, MUCH better chance of selling to the Wii fanbase than that of the GC and can only be improved by Wii controls.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2007, 04:48:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_BrotherA port is when a company releases a game onto another console.

fixed that for you, stop trying to make excuses for such crappy decisions, thats up for their PR, not us their consumers, we should demand quality, and ports aren't quality for a console whose whole philosophy is to provide new experiences, period.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2007, 05:26:06 AM »
The only crappy decision by most 3rd parties was to not support the Wii right out of the gate.

If it's a choice between playing a Wii-aiming enabled RE4 or nothing, I'll take RE4 over letting my Wii gather dust.

And my point isn't that ports are a great idea. My point is that a lot of games (RE4 included) got the shaft when it came to sales because they floundered on the GC. Those games could stand to be brought back just to give them an ACTUAL chance to shine.

I agree that just ports won't cut it, but I cannot fathom these ports getting in the way of regular development when Nintendo has so much money to throw around.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2007, 08:46:01 AM »
I think it's a minor shame that this isn't included.  For one thing I kinda liked the multiplayer in MP2 (weird I guess) and for another thing, if adding a more traditional FPS multiplayer mode to the game increases sales and helps out Wii, why not?

I understand that it's a crime against the purity of Metroid, but not being a huge Metroid fan, I don't care.

On the other hand I think the "OMG, this game NEEDS to be the definitive online FPS that proves Wii" camp is overreacting too.  The system is selling amazingly well without such a game, and a tailor-made FPS (maybe even Red Steel 2 if they fix the controls) would probably have a bigger impact.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline therat

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2007, 07:29:10 PM »
meow couchmonkey

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2007, 01:35:50 PM »
Hunters is a game that features a multiplayer mode with no balance whatsoever and un-interesting maps. The single player side of things manages to be even worse then that. It is not good. Saying you had fun playing it with friends is not a valid argument as to why it is good. Any piece of sh*t game can be fun with friends.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2007, 02:36:07 PM »
Conflict: Desert Storm is a perfect example. The first game on XBox was AWESOME 4-player co-op with your best frienda and pulling an all-nighter.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2007, 03:55:31 PM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
I think it's a minor shame that this isn't included.  For one thing I kinda liked the multiplayer in MP2 (weird I guess) and for another thing, if adding a more traditional FPS multiplayer mode to the game increases sales and helps out Wii, why not?

I understand that it's a crime against the purity of Metroid, but not being a huge Metroid fan, I don't care.

On the other hand I think the "OMG, this game NEEDS to be the definitive online FPS that proves Wii" camp is overreacting too.  The system is selling amazingly well without such a game, and a tailor-made FPS (maybe even Red Steel 2 if they fix the controls) would probably have a bigger impact.

I found the multi to have more space then needed.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2007, 05:37:18 PM »

Everyone said this (including myself) about Hunters, but still nobody (including myself) bought it.

they shouldnt even put wifi on the wii and sold it for 100$.

No then we wouldn't have the greatest online experience ever aka Mario Strikers.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2007, 07:33:11 PM »
Oh man, this news just made my day.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2007, 11:38:50 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Everyone said this (including myself) about Hunters, but still nobody (including myself) bought it.

Tell that to Metts, Bloodworth and all of the NWR regulars I played it with.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2007, 11:44:03 PM »
hunters is fun til u play online, and get spawn killed 5times in a row