Author Topic: PlayStation 3 will use Blue-Ray discs  (Read 9927 times)

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
PlayStation 3 will use Blue-Ray discs
« on: August 04, 2004, 06:30:44 PM »
SUPER NEWS FLASH

Gamespot reports Sony have confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will use Blue-Ray discs as the game medium.

I'm not sure if this is good.  DVD technology hasn't been around for that long, and I don't think customers want another medium to replace their beloved DVDs too early.  And secondly, do games really need 25GB of data storage?  How many PS2/Xbox games take up a full DVD disc?

I shudder at the thought of a FF game starting off with an opening cutscene running for 2 hours.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
RE: PlayStation 3 will use Blue-Ray discs
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 07:14:57 PM »
Doesn't this push PS3 launch back considerably?  Xenon launches too early, PS3 will likely launch too late and hopefully the Revolution will be just right.  I agree with you, AiAi, that I don't see people throwing themselves on board the BD-ROM boat.  Not only do PS2/ Xbox games barely take up a full DVD, Movies with unnecessary amounts of extras and previews don't usually come with more than two discs.  So that is 9.4 GB standard right now for DVD movies.  What do we need more for?  And god forbid BD-ROM players not be backward compatible.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:PlayStation 3 will use Blue-Ray discs
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 07:45:21 PM »
The Blu-Ray players are fully compatible with the old DVD standard, so putting the new drive in will not affect the use of all old DVD's, it only adds the use of Blu-Ray disc, which therefore quintuple the data storage size which will allow for some really HD-games and movies.

p.s. I think this story was posted here first (not that it matters)

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 11:08:59 PM »
AiAi: It's not a new format, just a higher-density DVD medium. But yeah, it can't be read by normal DVD drives.
I hope this doesn't make the PS3 more expensive, or I guess I'll just hold out until the price wars start all over again before considering it.

Sony did not say whether the PS3 would be able to play DVDs or will be backward-compatible with PS2 games.
Uh-oh.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 02:18:49 AM »
I know Blu-Ray players are compatible with the DVD standard, but won't Blu-Ray disc be protected in a plastic cover similar to the way floppy disc are?

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 03:52:18 AM »
You're right, AiAi. They look alot like the bigger brother of the UMDs that are used in the PSP.
They have a website too Blu-ray.com

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 05:40:10 AM »

Originally posted by: Uncle Rich AiAi
I know Blu-Ray players are compatible with the DVD standard, but won't Blu-Ray disc be protected in a plastic cover similar to the way floppy disc are?

They arent. Read the article carefully. It says that Blu Ray Players will have to compete against HD-DVDs (high Definition DVDs). HD-DVDs will have the upper hand because they are backwards compatible with DVDs, but only hold 30GB on a dual-layer disk, rather than the BD's 50GB.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 06:11:07 AM »
Man, Sony is severly screwing everyone here!! With this Blu-Ray technology you can get MORE than 50GBs on one "CD."  Blu-Ray technology is what has been the main problem with FMD discs.  With these discs you can hold up to one TERABYTE!!  Count it, that's 1000 GBs.  These CDs are ready for mass producing and don't cost much, actually cheaper than standard DVDs.  Goshdarn technology.  Lying to us saying this is the wave of the future....I guess so was Beta. ;-)  Stupid Sony.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 11:07:09 AM »

Maybe they will have a usable plastic case that you can put standard DVD's and games into.
actually they will most likely sell a bunch of these cases for you to store all your games and movies in, even though you can only play them in your PS3.  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 11:24:35 AM »
It doesn't matter that the huge size of Blu-Ray isn't needed to make good games because it still serves some purposes for Sony:
1. It makes the PS3 look way cool to average schmoes.
2. Developers will find a way to use the extra space: as a bonus for Sony, when developers leave features out of their ports they will blame media size for it.
3. It might slow down pirating (not sure on this one, can Blu-Ray be copied cheaply?)
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 05:09:11 AM »
Not until later in the generation.  The burners have to be there before the discs can be ripped.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2004, 02:38:12 PM »
Huge RPGs will probably be seperated into parts.  Like if there is some RPG that should take 120 hrs to beat they'll make it look like a trilogy because like a movie no one will just watch Lord of the Rings in one go.  Unless they use all that space to make it look like RE only no pre-rendered backgrounds or stilled cameras.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2004, 09:18:21 PM »
::WARNING: Take following statement(s) with grains of salt as they are a little truth dipped in a whole lot of 'What If'

Also Microsoft may be supporting Blu-Ray in some form or another in the future (as in maybe the drive for the X-box 2?)

"We're still evaluating the final feature set of the forthcoming operating system, and nothing is set in stone at this point," said Jonathan Usher, director of Microsoft's Windows Digital Media division. "Microsoft remains neutral with respect to the technology we plan to support for high definition DVD playback in future versions of Windows, and we remain committed to discussions underway with other groups like Blu-Ray."

source: TeamXbox Forums

If this did happen (speaking hypothetically here) where would this leave Nintendo?

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2004, 01:10:49 AM »
Indifferent.
The media is probably not definite at this point, as it can be decided later in the development cycle. They won't jump aboard the BD-ROM media anytime soon, IMO. It just doesn't make sense that Sony makes money off every Revolution game sold. Boo-urns!

"we remain committed to discussions underway with other groups like Blu-Ray."
Sounds like a 'you scratch my back, i'll use your media format' situation to me. But if they don't get a satisfactory deal, they'll use the HD-DVD media.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2004, 04:56:46 PM »
Why is everyone glossing over this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They arent. Read the article carefully. It says that Blu Ray Players will have to compete against HD-DVDs (high Definition DVDs). HD-DVDs will have the upper hand because they are backwards compatible with DVDs, but only hold 30GB on a dual-layer disk, rather than the BD's 50GB.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2004, 03:53:57 PM »

Originally posted by: The Omen
Why is everyone glossing over this:

to the mis-informed:

Sony has successfully developed a single three-wavelength optical head, capable of recording and playing next-generation Blu-ray Discs, as well as conventional DVDs and CDs without requiring an extra optical head for backwards compatibility. The technology requires less parts, is cheaper to produce and provides full backwards compatibility with current DVD/CD formats.

source:
Blu-Ray.com

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2004, 01:06:38 AM »
Ah, I just took mine from the Gamespot article. My bad.

This sounds damn expensive, don't it?  

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2004, 04:24:37 PM »
I hope to god they get the laser right this time.  I will not send back a ps3 because they made the same mistake as they made on ps2.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2004, 02:28:12 PM »

Originally posted by: manunited4eva22
Not until later in the generation.  The burners have to be there before the discs can be ripped.

? what do you mean exactly, because BRD Burners have already been released.  

I like that they're using Blue Ray, it will make Blue Ray discs in general be less expensive (BRD-RD's, BRD movies, etc).  I'll like that we'll be able to have entire TV show seasons on one disc and have 50 gb available for burning BRD, hell I'll be able to save lots more stuff that i get off the computer.

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2004, 08:50:40 PM »

Originally posted by: SgtShiversBen
Man, Sony is severly screwing everyone here!! With this Blu-Ray technology you can get MORE than 50GBs on one "CD."  Blu-Ray technology is what has been the main problem with FMD discs.  With these discs you can hold up to one TERABYTE!!  Count it, that's 1000 GBs.  These CDs are ready for mass producing and don't cost much, actually cheaper than standard DVDs.  Goshdarn technology.  Lying to us saying this is the wave of the future....I guess so was Beta. ;-)  Stupid Sony.

Wow, and I thought I was the only one who remembered FMD's.  Why doesnt anyone talk about them is beyone me.  Not only are the drives compatible with DVD's and CD's, they also hold much more than Blu-Ray and HD-DVD combined.  This would be the ideal format for Nintendo systems.  Not only would they have more storage than Sony could muster, they wouldnt be paying Sony royalities for the technology.  Plus, in addition to the discs, FMD card's were designed too.  These cards are about the size of a credit card, and with storage sizes of 10GB and up, it would be the perfect medium for "GBEvolution" (that is, if Evolution is Nintendo's technological answer to the PSP, but that's a whole new ballgame right there).  Nintendo should definetly invest in this tech before this gem is discovered by others.

Edit:  here's a website on the FMD tech.
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2004, 10:57:08 PM »

FMD storage technology, created by Constellation 3D, is a major removable storage breakthrough. Its applications are virtually limitless and are certainly not limited to computers. I have very little doubt that FMD will join the ranks of current removable storage acronyms such as CD-R, DVD, DVD-RAM, and CD-RW.

^ blol bold prediction in 2000 what
The reason why we don't see FMD media around is quite simple - the company has gone under. Their domain is for sale, and no-one has heard boo from these guys in a while.

However, IBM decided that there were too many difficulties in producing a 6 layer disc and scrapped the project.
Or that.

1. First off, they are not compatible with current CDs and DVDs -  the lens detects wavelengths of 680nm, not the 650nm of "red" lasers that are in CD players.
2. The filter that the technology uses is not part of the disc - it sits between the media and the lens.
3. The designers weren't even sure of the best way to write to these discs. I found another article which describes in more detail the concept of fluorescent multilayer media, and it sounds like there is no way to make a rewriteable FMD at all, let alone a definite way to write to the discs.

Digit-Life.com
This article was written a while ago (pre-2000), and they too speak of FMDs being a major rival to DVDs

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2004, 09:49:36 AM »
While it is true that the company has gone under, isnt there a possibility that Nintendo could buy the rights to the tech?  It seemed like the product was basically there, the only need would be to condense the hardware down a bit (the card reader was huge).
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2004, 04:39:45 PM »
Joe, sorry I haven't paid much attention to this thread.

The burners exist, but at a 3500 dollar price tag, no one is going to be able to burn them for atleast a few years, assuming blu-ray does become a big success and hits affordable levels.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2004, 09:18:38 PM »

Originally posted by: manunited4eva22
Joe, sorry I haven't paid much attention to this thread.

The burners exist, but at a 3500 dollar price tag, no one is going to be able to burn them for atleast a few years, assuming blu-ray does become a big success and hits affordable levels.

They had them for 3000 months ago, so by next year they will be significantly cheaper.  In two years time, if things go well they could be a couple hundred.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2004, 10:11:33 PM »
Once a format goes big the burners get cheap.