Author Topic: Doom 3  (Read 12325 times)

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Doom 3
« on: August 04, 2004, 07:36:23 AM »
has anyone else played this yet?  i thought i had a pretty good computer, but i let it pick what settings would be best, and it picked 640x480, with minimal graphics options.  i guess it's time for a new video card.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
RE:Doom 3
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 09:39:40 AM »
Plays gorgeous on my rig.  A64 3000+, 1024 pc3200 Geil Value RAM, 9800 pro A 417/366.  I really enjoy the game so far too.  The scripted events are very well done.  I have read critisism of the flashlight usage, but I find that it really adds to the tense gameplay.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Doom 3
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 10:19:34 AM »
I currently don't have the money to purchase the game yet, but a friend of mine says that the flashlight thing is annoying...Having to put away your flashlight to use a weapon is just silly in my opinion...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline 3rdrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 10:42:46 AM »
the main character should invest in some tape and strap the flashlight to his gun
Fuzzy eybrows!

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 06:46:47 PM »
I just bought it, but I need a few more megs of ram to play it : S

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 08:45:12 PM »
it doesn't play any better in my other box.  dam i need a new video card.
box 1:  P4 3.02 w/Hyper, 1GB RAM
box 2:  A64 3200+, Asus K8V deluxe, 1GB RAM
i suppose i'm due for an upgrade....

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 09:20:12 PM »
Anyone tried it with hardware around this* level?

GeForce 4 ti 4800se 128MB
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83GHz
1GB of RAM
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 10:00:35 PM »
That sounds like it should work well, it's quite a bit above minimum requirements, and I suspect their minimum requirements are a safe margin above the "real" minimum (like they did with Quake III).

Update: I just ordered a gig of ram

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 05:04:44 AM »
I can run decently, wishing I had a newer video card.  Running 1024x768 2xAA

2.4a (prescott) @ 3.6
1GB PC3200
9800 Pro @ 512/408 (I like to overclock, can you tell)
Abit IS7

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 11:16:52 AM »
BTW, for any of you that have  DOOM3 and lots of RAM 512MB or more, check this out...

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=5733&tid=1438663

I've only heard success stories from it so far. It has brought very big improvements for a lot of people.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 11:29:56 AM »

Thanks!

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2004, 07:05:56 PM »
Wait!  Doom 3 actually and finally came out?!?!  Good thing I have absolutely no interest in it.  Have fun everyone else who will enjoy it.  :-D

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2004, 04:22:05 PM »
Done that mod already, there is another one that hardocp linked to, supposed to improve performance as well.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2004, 05:05:41 PM »
Yes, the cache size upping is a great little tweak, also turning on tripple buffering in my drivers also helped.  If you use vSync, when the framerate dips below 60, it is halved to 30 and so on.  Enabling tripple buffering stops this.  You can change anisitropy also, I heard that it defaults to 8 in the config, so obviously lowering that will help.  There are no two ways about it, though, the game is a beast.

Edit: mine is set to 512 and it works rather well.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2004, 11:05:53 AM »
I will try upping from 256 tonight.  Also, you can try out the new 4.9betas if you want, seem to have boosted frames an adition 5 or 6 in some spots.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2004, 02:33:18 PM »
have fun with it, hopefully I'll be able to play it in a year or so.  Unless they let you run a 5 inch version of it on the computer... then maybe my computer could handle it.  Or maybe I'll get an XBox, cause I do want Fable and some other games.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2004, 02:47:47 PM »
I want to get this game, but I'm poor... And I doubt my computer would handle it.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2004, 05:37:50 PM »
I don't really care about this game.  I want innovation, and I'm waiting for Half-Life 2.  Sure, I wouldn't mind playing it if I found it used for $10, but other than that I don't really care.  I *would* like to play a demo though, just for a graphics tech demo.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2004, 05:42:48 PM »
Half life 2 is basically going to rely on the physics engine.  Any FPS at this point isn't goint to be very innovative, it is a played out genre.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2004, 06:07:20 PM »
I was mighty unimpressed with the little go-through at a friend's house...Wow, the game is really pretty...Big deal...The game was interesting for the first halfhour with all the PDA stuff, but as you go through the game it's just a trite FPS(with monsters coming out of walls...what?)  Though I'm not a huge fan of Doom or FPSs in general, so maybe that's why...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2004, 06:09:25 AM »

Any FPS at this point isn't goint to be very innovative, it is a played out genre.

I thought Geist looked pretty innovative.  I'm sure there are more ways to make FPS's more original, it's just that developers are probably too afraid to try.  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2004, 06:30:32 PM »
Watching just about any game that relies upon clicking a button is boring unless you are playing.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2004, 09:58:38 AM »

Watching just about any game that relies upon clicking a button is boring unless you are playing.

Wtahcing someone play just about any game is boring, except for DDR of course.

I thought Geist looked pretty innovative. I'm sure there are more ways to make FPS's more original, it's just that developers are probably too afraid to try.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there- there's plenty develoeprs could do with FPS's they're just not ready to take the risk of breaking from the tried and true mold and attempt something new.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2004, 10:29:09 AM »
They need a Japanese mind there since the only thing I hear about from people about new FPS is always graphics.  There are some but they always end in failure.  Who is most likely to think of a wizard using wands for an FPS game?  Plus a lot of the existing fans are going to think of g@y and messed up.  They want soldiers with guns and only want to kill.  Comparing MP will be really dope but there are a lot of things in MP that they could atleast use in the single player since really I look at who does the best multiplayer.

I still plan to get this game once I get a new computer.  I just really like Id Software.  Their FPS online is just really awesome.  Even the old deathmatch kicks ass.  I like their past games even more than Counter-Strike.  Quake III, Return to Castle Wolfenstein,  Doom, etc  I only liked Half-Life for its single player.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2004, 02:57:54 PM »
I don't know if graphics are the only thing that matter.  There is only so much you can change in a fps, but there are still innovative things out there.  In ET they made a hybrid between rpg and fps where you gained experience and weapons for kills/objective completions.  In cod there was a great hoop la over there being a lot of realism, sound, environment, ai.  

Obviously fps aren't going to be everyone's piece of cake, but if you watch someone play and decide that sucks, you haven't given it a fair chance.