Author Topic: Buy Less Than Jake's new album, DO IT NOW  (Read 6766 times)

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
Buy Less Than Jake's new album, DO IT NOW
« on: July 24, 2004, 05:01:17 PM »
www.lessthanjake.com

B is for B-Sides

The new album from Less Than Jake. It's all B-Sides recorded along with the stuff that was on anthem. It f#cking rocks. The whole album has a more urgent song. Vinnie's lyrics are fantastic. It's not over-popped like anthem. was.

Stand-out songs included

Bridge and Tunnel Authority - my favorite on the CD, it rocks me like no other
Jay Frenzal - totally old school LTJ, yelling about some dude they know (who happens to be Jay Wally from Frenzal Rhomb) who hit their bus with a 2x4
National Anthem - best ending of any LTJ song ever

Really though, the whole album is fantastic. I absolutly f#cking LOVE it. Probably my second favorite LTJ album of all time. The order would go

1. Hello Rockview
2. B is for B-Sides
3. anthem.
4. Losing Streak
5. Pezcore
6. Borders & Boundries

In other news, I saw LTJ twice in three days this past weekend. I saw them in their (and my) hometown of Gainesville, FL. Excellent f#cking show. I saw them again on Monday in Tallahassee (where I'm up at school), another great show. I talked to Roger after the Tallahassee show, he's a cool guy. They played Liquor Store and motherf#cking Where the Hell is Mike Sinkovich? Actually, they played my favorite song off of every album (except Losing Streak).

Favorite LTJ songs for each album

1. Hello Rockview - Scott Farcas Takes it on the Chin (History of a Boring Town is an extremly close second)
2. B is for B-Sides - Bridge and Tunnel Authority
3. anthem. - Plastic Cup Politics
4. Losing Streak - Lockdown
5. Pezcore - Where the Hell is Mike Sinkovich?
6. Borders & Boundries - The Last Hour of the Last Day of Work  

----------------------------------

The People's History of Less Than Jake

Less Than Jake's first ever DVD is now avaliable. For $12 you can own a boat load of live footage, interviews, and zany skits.

I got mine today, and it's awesome.

Order at www.fueledbyramen.com  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Buy Less Than Jake's new album, DO IT NOW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 06:42:23 PM »
Nah nah nah, the order goes like this:

1. Hello Rockview
2. Losing Streak
3. B is for B-Sides
4. Anthem
5. Borders and Boundaries
6. Pezcore

My favorite songs from each go as such:

1. Hello Rockview - Nervous in the Alley (best ska song ever written, in my opinion)
2. Losing Streak - Jen Doesn't Like Me Anymore
3. B is for B-Sides - Sleep it Off
4. Anthem - Motown Never Sounded So Good
5. Borders and Boundaries - Gainesville Rock City
6. Pezcore - Where the Hell is Mike Sinkovich?

I've only seen LTJ live once, at Warped Tour last year. They were more than worth the price of the ticket alone, though- their live shows are just amazing. I might see if I can go to Projekt Revolution, but all the bands on it besides LTJ suck balls.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 06:42:36 PM »
Damn.  Duly noted, my man.  I'll check it out
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Buy Less Than Jake's new album, DO IT NOW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 08:59:58 PM »
Buy??? Music??? Until the RIAA stops hating ME I won't stop hating THEM. I'm boycotting them for years now and their behaviour is only worsening. If you want to sell me music perhaps you should make music that doesn't make me want to rip my ears off. And perhaps you should stop trying to take my rights away from me (Orin Hatch should be shot for even proposing INDUCE!)! Copy protected "CD"s... Whose idiotic idea was THAT, anyway?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 09:54:11 PM »
Then get your friend to buy it and borrow it. You shouldn't let a boycott stop you from listening to this amazing CD, even if it is against evil incarnate themselves, the RIAA.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 04:18:18 AM »
If my friend bought it the RIAA would still get the money, wouldn't it?

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 05:00:33 AM »
Right... I'll just stick with Genisis and Yes.
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 05:38:48 AM »

If my friend bought it the RIAA would still get the money, wouldn't it?

Actually, no- I may be wrong, but I don't think Sire, the label B is for B-Sides was released on, is a member of the RIAA.

Offline bonestormer

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 08:45:53 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Buy??? Music??? Until the RIAA stops hating ME I won't stop hating THEM. I'm boycotting them for years now and their behaviour is only worsening. If you want to sell me music perhaps you should make music that doesn't make me want to rip my ears off. And perhaps you should stop trying to take my rights away from me (Orin Hatch should be shot for even proposing INDUCE!)! Copy protected "CD"s... Whose idiotic idea was THAT, anyway?

LMFAO... garbage like that just makes me laugh so hard. So if you disagree with someone that makes it okay to steal form them? HAHAHAHA! If you want to "boycott" them, go ahead. Just don't think the alternative is to download MP3's.

You're just trying to justify to yourself that there's nothing wrong with taking for free something someone has worked hard on. Please. I hope if you ever do/make anything that someone steals if from you after all the hard work you put into it...

The B-sides to Anthem is better than Anthem itself? Hmm... Oh yeah, 1) Hello Rockview 2) Losing Streak 3) Anthem....

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 09:04:04 PM »

LMFAO... garbage like that just makes me laugh so hard. So if you disagree with someone that makes it okay to steal form them? HAHAHAHA! If you want to "boycott" them, go ahead. Just don't think the alternative is to download MP3's.

You're just trying to justify to yourself that there's nothing wrong with taking for free something someone has worked hard on. Please. I hope if you ever do/make anything that someone steals if from you after all the hard work you put into it...

You know what's REALLY funny? KDR never said anything about downloading music- in fact, no one did.

Oh, wait, what's that on your face?  Mmmmm, cherry.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2004, 09:42:31 PM »
bonestormer: You're using the same moronic reasoning the RIAA does. The assumption that people somehow cannot survive without music and therefore anyone who doesn't buy music must be pirating it. Music is a commodity, we aren't entitled to it but we don't need it, either. I can survive perfectly well without getting any new music and listening to the same old songs for years now. If I get bored by them I throw in a few bad songs from time to time so I appreciate the good ones much more.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2004, 11:59:25 PM »

Actually, no- I may be wrong, but I don't think Sire, the label B is for B-Sides was released on, is a member of the RIAA.
I haven't seen the credits for LTJ's latest album, but "Anthem" mentions Warner Music Group (a division of Time Warner) alongside Sire in the fine print, and have copyrighted the album under their name - and those guys are listed on the Boycott-RIAA website.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 12:40:49 AM »
Yeah, you're right, Shifty- I guess Warner owns Sire or something.

Still, this is not an album to be missed. You may be keeping money out of the RIAA's hands, but you're also keeping money out of the band's hands.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004, 12:52:52 AM »
*still waiting for it to be released down under*

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2004, 08:44:20 AM »
m_c: The problem is that the band is getting something like five cents and the RIAA gets five dollars. If you want to make sure the mony reaches the band, go to their concerts, they get a much larger share from those (and I heard that most artists can't even make enough money to live off their CDs (or even take losses) so they have to make concerts to get in the money).

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2004, 08:45:35 AM »
Ah well, your loss, because this album kicks ass.

Especially Sleep it Off- one of my favorite LTJ songs yet.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2004, 09:29:55 AM »
I saw a commercial for them the other night and I found the songs they were playing for the commercial to be really annoying.  So in short I really doubt I will be buying anything from them.  
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2004, 03:57:07 PM »
I never found them that great.  Good show, but the music was eh.

EDIT:Johnny Quest..  is a great song however.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2004, 04:43:16 PM »
Meh, not my type of music, it has lyrics.

I've bought a total of *ONE* CD in the past 5 years, and i got that because someone else was paying.  Haibane Renmei OST..  Beautiful little CD,(Mainly violin and piano pieces) now i just need to buy the series.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2004, 04:06:49 PM »
I have only bought 2 CD's in the past 5+ years, as well: No Doubt (self-titled) and Beacon Street Collection. Both excellent ska albums, and along with Tragic Kingdom I'd recommend them to everyone.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2004, 06:43:03 AM »
Am I the only one who actually buys cds?  Even if the big bad evil RIAA gets some of my money, do I really care?  Are cd's overprice?  Yes.  Are some artists underpaid? Yes.  

Honestly though, who do you think it hurts more, a smaller ska band, or a group that is directly responsible for marketing, surveying, and popularizing most of the music in America.  Until the boycott-(insert name here) movement is actually taken serious by any major news media (read: extremely improbable) it will not have any more effect other than giving the RIAA a scapegoat.  The RIAA makes the majority of their money on advertising big names, Britney Spears, whoever has a name that sells.  They take a lot of risks giving publicity to smaller bands, and as such a lot of times pay them less than a small record label.

I don't particularly support the RIAA, but if your only reason for not buying the album is because the RIAA may receive 5 dollars of your money, you really need to look at the rest of your spending, I'm sure you could stop using heating because the big bad local electric company owns a franchised monopoly on providing power. If you believe there is no good music out today, then why express interest in this album?

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
RE:Buy Less Than Jake's new album (AND DVD), DO IT NOW
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2004, 06:58:40 PM »
The People's History of Less Than Jake

Less Than Jake's first ever DVD is now avaliable. For $12 you can own a boat load of live footage, interviews, and zany skits.

I got mine today, and it's awesome.

Order at www.fueledbyramen.com

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2004, 11:24:32 AM »
Agreed, manunited.
I bought four CDs in the past two days: Stellastarr*, The Libertines, the Pixies, and the Clash.
I'm feelin' good about it, too.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2004, 04:52:09 PM »
You should feel good about The Clash...
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2004, 09:40:38 PM »
Oh, I most certainly do.  I feel very good about all of them.  Nowadays, I never make a purchase I later regret.  So it goes with video games, movies, and CDs.