Author Topic: RPGs on the DS  (Read 3770 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RPGs on the DS
« on: July 12, 2004, 08:18:45 PM »
Are there many RPGs  announced to come out on the Nintendo DS?  

I've heard people complain that the only thing the 2nd screen is being used for is maps, and I think RPGs would be a natural for the second screen. Stat management during battles, inventory at a glance, dialog from talking to NPCs. It just makes sense to me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: RPGs on the DS
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 09:39:23 PM »
Square-Enix has three DS games in the works, if that means something...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 09:45:57 PM »
I'm sure RPGs will begin turning up...A Pokemon title is a given, Camelot's next Golden Sun game may be for the DS, and the Tales team at Namco would love to work on the DS as well...Don't worry, you'll get your RPG fix in one way or another...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Draygaia

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 05:39:18 AM »
The GBA has RPGs and the DS plays GBA games.  What an accomplishment already and its not even launched!
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 11:38:17 AM »
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is confirmed to be in development for DS.

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 05:22:06 PM »
I wasn't that thrilled with FF:CC for GCN... But if they have 16 player FF:CC on the DS... *goes and preorders*

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 07:25:00 PM »
I would love a Grandia or Skies games on the DS...........

...but that's wishful thinking.

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
RE:RPGs on the DS
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 10:28:42 PM »
Great thread topic ShyGuy....and you are so right about the DS's potential to streamline games such as RPG's and strategy games. I really think it can be more intuitive for displaying an RPG's generally more complex menu set. New gameplay dynamics could of course be invented to reside on the second screen. Like having your main characters brain represented on the second screen . Only his brain is compriseded of colorful, cute little monsters. Who, like battle psychic intruders. All while your main guy is doing his RPG thing on the overworld screen.
If none of this makes sense, theres a very good reason. Im rambling. But I hope I had you there for a second.

Anyways, would love to see strategy/RPGs in particular on the DS. Fire Emblem, Ogre Battle, FF Tactics, Disgaea....Advance Wars would own, definitely.

-Blackknight131

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 02:05:00 AM »
Hmmmm.... 16 player FFCC... Split 'em up into multiple caravans roamingthe same map and let them compete for Myrrh drops and level-up items. Heck, maybe have group goals like Green: Recover an item. Red: Make sure the green caravan doesn't get out of here alive!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 04:06:32 PM »
well the screen is lighted..it wont suck as much..but  man there were some things about ffcc that in retrospect
really turned me off. I hte it when your friends are leveled up and your not.  I wish i could just play with friends
and not have to worry about playing the damn single player game to keep it up with em.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 03:06:53 AM »
EGG MONSTER HERO is looking good.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 09:44:19 AM »
I want another Chrono game on the DS by Square-Enix.  One screen you play in the past but see how its starting to affect the future at the same time in the other screen and you can fix it that way.  Or you see whats happening in the past to see whats available to you that can be done in the future.  It doesn't have to be time.  It can be reality and dreams, dimensions, all three ideas I mentioned, life and after-life, etc
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 02:39:05 PM »
We need final fantasy 2/3(4/6) for the DS.  Those were undoubtly some of the best games of all time.  In a fight you could have the first screen showing cool fight animations while you pick your moves in the second screen.If you add knew additons to these games theres no telling how great they could be.
PikkCuber

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 12:17:57 AM »
We need completely new FF games, not just rehashes.
Square seems to be working on a load of original titles, though.

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2004, 01:38:57 AM »
I look forward to trying out Baten Kaitos as I remember the director of that game commented specifically that the game would translate beautifully to the DS.
I also would like to see how Harvest Moon can be adapted to the touchscreen and dual screens...PSP is getting a new one afterall.
Playing Vagrant Story the other nite got me thinking...about what kind of 3-D graphics to expect in a DS RPG. With higher quality models of course...

-Blackknight131

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2004, 05:52:49 AM »
I want a Star Ocean game, a Valkryie Profile game, a Panzer Dragoon RPG...

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2004, 11:41:05 AM »
I do admit I would like FF:CC on DS. If they do they should make the dungeons more 'branchy' so people can split up in groups of four with different chalices. Yeh the four caravan idea would be good and they could make it that the person who gets the most points gets the mhyrr except if their chalice is full in which case they are there just to help the other caravans. That would be good.

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2004, 03:15:43 PM »
I do admit new Final Fantasys on teh DS would be great but if they port ff 2/3 (4/6)early in the DS lifespan you would get great games and square would learn how to make newer final fantasy's on the DS even better.
PikkCuber

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2004, 09:17:58 PM »
The mainsteam will just spout crap like "OMG! 2d Final Fantasy rip-offs! Screw this, I'm getting the PSP!". But then if there was an original FF game they'd spout crap like "OMG! Final Fantasy without FMVs and not on Playstation! Screw this, I'm getting the PSP!"

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2004, 05:13:33 PM »
Who cares what other people thinks the original final fantasy games were awesome we need them
PikkCuber

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2004, 03:07:30 AM »
Square-Enix does....