Author Topic: Memory Card Rip-off  (Read 6017 times)

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Memory Card Rip-off
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2004, 04:42:52 PM »
Those of you in MC-unfriendly territories can import the 1019 for a fair price.

Play-Asia

Lik-Sang
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Memory Card Rip-off
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2004, 09:48:51 PM »
The only game that has issues with an MC1019 and isn't so excrutiatingly bad you want to fork out your eyes is SA2:B. And tat only has two problems, incorrect display of free space if more than three digits and a limit on the numbr of saves. The GC itself imposes a limit on the number of saves, though.

Offline soulfate

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2004, 03:46:10 AM »

Originally posted by: Caillan

I didn't even know Monaco distributed player's choice titles here. I'm down in Dunedin though, and there's lots of instances where Auckland/Wellington will get deals that aren't down here (Metroid Prime was released here a month late because it sold out up north the first two shipments). Are you buying from an EB games? They privately ship their product from Aussieland, so they have player's choice titles for retail, just they're not 'official', Monaco-approved ones.

Out of interest, did you see a deal a little while ago where you would recieve a free player's choice title with a new GC? It was with both EB and Central Park down here, so I have a suspicion it was Monaco's bidding. It was on top of the Zelda bonus disc deal as well, so I sold my Cube and bought another one.

I buy from EB and Gamesman. I'm pretty sure that Gamesman has Players Choice games too.
I saw that package in EB, and really wanted the Zelda game, but I didn't wanna buy another Cube just for the game. Since you can't buy it retail, I bought it off someone that was buying the package right there and then in the store for $80 They seemed pretty happy to get rid of it...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2004, 07:17:10 AM »
"there are some issues with the 1019 not recognizing certain games because of programming issues (Sonic Adventure 2 can't recognize 999 blocks or something like that.)"

I fail to see how this would have been an issue if the 1019 had always been the standard.  There would have been no programming issues because the developers wouldn't be working under the assumption that a smaller card would be used.

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2004, 06:59:00 AM »
think 50 bucks is too much for a card think about how much you paye for  all the mem cards you have. My self excluding the 1019 is 95$
PikkCuber

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2004, 12:00:06 AM »
Isn't the SA:2B "problem" just that it won't show more than 999 blocks left?  You can still save, right?

And to be honest... I'd rather have a small memory card that only cost $15 or so bucks, rather than a huge one for $40, like the PS2 one, that EA stuff would still bloat over.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2004, 10:05:04 AM »
Ian: Stupidity. All of the games that suffer from this are really bad or buggy. Stuff like Mary-Kate and Ashley. I think the official dev spec sheets from Nintendo included cards up to 2043 blocks.

Offline RCmodeler

• banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2004, 04:08:40 AM »

Originally posted by: DeguelloI'd rather have a small memory card that only cost $15 or so bucks, rather than a huge one for $40, like the PS2
As someone who owns both a Cube & PS2, the bigger card is better.  I've only bought one PS2 card, and it's still half empty.  I'm now on my 4th 251 Cube card.  So the Cube savecards actually cost MORE than my one PS2 savecard ($80 vs. $40).

Perhaps the reason Nintendo can afford to sell Cubes for $50 less than the competition is because they are making big bucks off the savecards.

Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion.  If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance.  Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious.  Thank you. -----  PLAY GAMES FOR FREE! -   http://www.atariguide.com

Offline SuperMario35

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2004, 02:44:59 PM »
So the GC memory card is now close to or the same to the PS2 memory card right?

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2004, 08:17:26 PM »
The same. But more expensive.  But smaller.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2004, 10:55:21 AM »

Originally posted by: RCmodeler

Originally posted by: DeguelloI'd rather have a small memory card that only cost $15 or so bucks, rather than a huge one for $40, like the PS2

As someone who owns both a Cube & PS2, the bigger card is better.  I've only bought one PS2 card, and it's still half empty.  I'm now on my 4th Cube card.  So the Cube savecards actually cost MORE than my one PS2 savecard ($80 vs. $40).

Perhaps the reason Nintendo can afford to sell Cubes for $50 less than the competition is because they are making big bucks off the savecards.

Apparently nintendo is just flat out losing over 20 billion yen a year on hardware:  http://game-science.com/news/000671.html
I'm guessing "hardware" includes memory cards and other things like controllers (And obviously systems)

Offline RCmodeler

• banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2004, 03:50:25 AM »
Yeah, but think about how much Nintendo would lose if Cube owners only bought ONE gigantic card, instead of 4-5 littles ones.
Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion.  If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance.  Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious.  Thank you. -----  PLAY GAMES FOR FREE! -   http://www.atariguide.com

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2004, 05:19:38 AM »
The technology for such a huge amount of space on the media Nintendo uses probably wasn't available or was too expensive when the GC first came out. And people complaining about paying $200 when the GC was released, that's just plain rertarded. PS2 was $300 at launch, as was XBox, and they're both $150 now. As time moves ahead, technology gets cheaper - remember when a Pentium 2 166Mhz PC with a 15" monitor and a bubble jet printer cost about $2,000? Nowadays you can't even find a PC near that price (unless you dont know how to shop). Anyway, I'm rambling.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2004, 02:52:27 PM »
Don't make me laugh, 8mb flash memory was affordable a year before gamecube launched.  Everyone makes money off of memory cards, get over it.

Offline RCmodeler

• banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2004, 03:39:31 PM »
I suggest reading the rules again before continuing posting