Author Topic: Ikaruga Hype Thread  (Read 7055 times)

Offline OutOfTheCube

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« on: February 07, 2003, 04:58:12 PM »
Hello one and all! First, I'd just like to say 'hi'. Err...hi! As not to be off topic...

Who else here is eagerly anticipating Ikaruga? I know I sure am! After seeing the incredibly well done American box art, I got really excite for it. So, yeah. Discuss it...oh and is Treasure really the ones behind Wario World? Just curious.

P.S. Good to be back.
I'm baaaaaack!

-OOTC

Offline Sullichin

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 05:07:01 PM »
Yeah, Treasure is also working on Wario World. They delayed it when working on GC Ikaruga. I heard it was great on the DC, I'll definitley rent it.
NIN is teh roxor.

Nintelligent Network :: Smart Nintendo Coverage - Reviews, Guides, Wallpaper, Screenshots, News, and more.

Offline UberFlop

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 05:07:57 PM »
I'm very much looking forward to this game.  I haven't played a great 2D vertical shooter since the SNES days, so I'm very excited about Ikaruga.  Also, since Treasure announced that the U.S. version of Ikaruga will only be $39.99 instead of the usual MSRP of $49.99, that's just icing on the cake . . . which I'll get to blow up with some sort of ultra-destructive weapon that destroys everything on the screen.
I'm good at what I do

Offline RK4ever

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 05:08:35 PM »
That changing color of the ship deal sounds intriguing.   I'll be sure to pick it up in April.
"No point in introducing myself to the dead..."

Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 01:13:28 AM »
I can't wait to get the game. It looks great.

Offline Dr Synthetic

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 04:30:16 AM »
I'm particularly interested in the high score codes you can enter into the Ikaruga site so that you can be ranked in world standings.  I hope this feature is used in future games *very* often.
I'll show you a trick with ants...

Offline L0rdPain

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 05:53:05 AM »
Yeah, i will be getting this too, perhaps not right away, but definitly someday.  
>>insert funny signature here<<

Offline epicac

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 10:56:06 AM »
I plan on buying this game. My only hesitation comes from hearing how difficult it is. I'm not sure if I'm a good enough gamer to fully appreciate a game like this. Of those of you who have played Ikaruga already, by what other games can I estimate the skill level required to enjoy it?

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2003, 11:33:45 AM »
  Its harder than super ghouls and ghost ,or ghost and goblins, for that matter.  And those 2 games are brutal.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2003, 12:40:45 PM »
I imported this game for the DC last year when it came out, and I absolutely adore it.  It's not Treasure's best game, but it's up there with their best, pretty much.  I never played "Radiant Silvergun," but who has?  Haha...

Anyway, it's a frantic and fantastic game that anyone who likes or loves hard-core gaming should pick up.  It's an old-fashioned shooter with new-fashioned graphical beauty and spot-on perfect control.  You won't beat the game quick, so that's quite a consolation considering the game is so short.  Shooters never were all THAT long--heck, think of how fast you could blast through "Lifeforce" for cripes sakes!  Great stuff, certainly, but I'm also anxious to see what Treasure does with "Wario World," and I'd die if they made another game like "Guardian Heroes" or even a bigger version of an action-RPG like "Light Crusader," which had great puzzles but was so, so, so brief.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Ikaruga

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2003, 03:41:56 PM »
My handle speaks for itself.

Yep, I can't wait to play Ikaruga. Shooters are hard to come by these days, and it good to see Treasure keeping the spirit alive.  

Offline SaMuS

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2003, 03:46:15 PM »
I'm a huge fan for everything that Treasure does.  Everytime it's a blast, any games they're coming with.  Remember Sin & Punishment, for those import freaks? Ahhhh Viva Treasure
SaMuS
Senior Editor
NintendojoFR

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2003, 05:44:05 PM »
Treasure is definitely one of the most underappreciated developers out there. I'm a huge Treasure fan and I can't wait for Ikaruga to come out

For those worried about it being too hard... don't worry, just have some patience and practice. Eventually you'll find yourself getting better as you keep playing. Challenge isn't something to be feared, it's something that gives you greater appreciation when you finally overcome it

BTW, wasn't the Wario World thing a translation error and that Treasure is not developing Wario World?

Offline Icons by Size

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2003, 06:50:17 PM »
I never knew this "Treasure" existed.  
Deftones own.

Offline Lucent97

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2003, 09:04:34 PM »
Bought import ........ play it EVERYDAY ...... not a walk in the park but something you won't play -> finish -> back in case for eternity
can't wait for USA version (play as much as JAP Soul Calibur 2)
Destiny belongs to those who search for it

Offline Lucent97

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2003, 09:09:41 PM »

Originally posted by: epicac
I plan on buying this game. My only hesitation comes from hearing how difficult it is. I'm not sure if I'm a good enough gamer to fully appreciate a game like this. Of those of you who have played Ikaruga already, by what other games can I estimate the skill level required to enjoy it?

equivalent to Gradius serious with a twist .... the color thing makes it interesting,  controls are simple (stick - move, A-Fire, B-Charge, R-Change Color) and also like the "training" mode to play a mission over and over again
Gamecube version looks smoother and plays smoother than dreamcast in my opinion (blessed with a 24" flat screen)
Destiny belongs to those who search for it

Offline Celsius

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2003, 10:30:10 PM »
Where can I see a pic of the US coverart?  And did they really announce it to be $40??  That's great news!
"What! Sarah, look not upon me with doubting eyes." - Motoko Aoyoma (Love Hina: Mystery Guests at Hinata Hotel)

Offline epicac

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2003, 11:05:27 PM »

Originally posted by: Celsius
Where can I see a pic of the US coverart?  And did they really announce it to be $40??  That's great news!

You can see the boxart here, and also you can preorder it for $39.99.  

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2003, 11:44:56 AM »
Sky, I remember what you're talking about; I've read that very thing, but I think that that notion, of Treasure developing WW being a translation error, has since been debunked.  I guess I can't be sure, but fairly recent previews of the game have gone on to mention Treasure's role in the game.  Anyone have more concrete evidence than the shifty and unreliable evidence of memory?  ;-)
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Tsunekazu

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2003, 11:50:03 AM »
I can't wait.  I decided not to import for DC when I heard it was coming out for Gamecube.  Then I was in the process of filling out the billing info for my order of the import Cube version when my friend IMed me and said "You see this?  Ikaruga is coming to the US."  That was a close one

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2003, 01:54:35 PM »
I love schmups, and this one looks farking awesome.  Can't wait.  Looks great.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2003, 05:14:07 PM »
You guys have to see this Ikaruga vid. Don't watch it if you don't want the entire game spoiled for you.

Click either link underneath the Ikaruga graphic in the center.

One of the best shmups vids i've seen in a while.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2003, 08:21:59 PM »
yay, i cant wait for this game it brings me back to my old Amiga 500 days, anyone here every played, Swiv, The Hybris, Blood Money, Xenon etc
all top quality games ^_^

Offline Zomboi

• View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2003, 03:34:17 PM »
I seriously CANNOT wait for this game, it's been at the 2nd spot (behind Wind Waker of course) on my list forever! To tide you over before the incredible awsomeness (if that's a word) that is embodied into this game, you can download (for free) 2 games I highly suggest, Warning Forever and Shooters Solitude System 4, both can be found here. While on the subject of Ikaruga, I was wondering if any of you would happen to own a Hori Digital Pad, if so how is it!? I already own Capcom vs SNK 2 and was hoping that the big d-pad would be worth the 25 dollar investment. Thanks in advance for any input you have on this subject........and happy shmupping to all!
Sure getting shot the first few times IS annoying but knowing that after a hards days work you'll eventually get a meal.........well that just makes the day worth it.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Ikaruga Hype Thread
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2003, 10:16:59 PM »
I found this link to a game on the IGN boards which is very much like Ikaruga. A good warmup on the more difficult settings. Have to change to Ika mode. Use arrow keys to move around and Z button to fire. I still waiting on  a reply from someone there if you can change colors to absorb other ammunitions.

rRootage  

Edit:  Figured out that pressing the X button will switch your color. Good thing. Back to playing this. Damn addicting.  
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.