Author Topic: Cowboy Bebop & Anime  (Read 7264 times)

Offline Metaphysical Spirit

• The Aggressive Coconut!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Cowboy Bebop & Anime
« on: February 17, 2004, 10:23:25 PM »
I just got done watching the complete DVD set of Cowboy Bebop today and man, it was better than I thought. I loved the show and found myself always watching it on Adult Swim and Reign the Conquer so I ordered both DVD sets (Still haven't received Reign the Conquer in the mail). I have watched all but the last 2 episodes and Im pumped to see them tomorrow when I wake up and have time. For any of your anime freaks out there, I recommend this to all of you. If you don't like it at first, watch a couple more episodes and I promise you will be hooked. Also, while you're at it, check out Fist of the North Star and both versions of Vampire Hunter D (The Orignal and Bloodlines, I think thats what the second was called - too lazy to get up and check my DVD collection).  
I'm aggresive, and I'm the rarest of the rare! Fear me Now! For I am....

THE AGGRESSIVE COCONUT!!!!!!!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Cowboy Bebop & Anime
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 12:20:47 PM »
I'm not a big fan of anime.  I'll watch it, especially Miyazaki stuff, and sometimes enjoy it, but I'm not really into anime.

Cowboy Bebop, however, is hands down the best show ever made.  It's by far my favorite, and I'm not usually a person that picks favorite (i.e. I have no favorite video game).  I hope to make stuff like that someday. . . amazing.  The style, plot, music, animation, dialogue, characters, everything. . . perfect.

Yeah, very good.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Cowboy Bebop & Anime
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 12:31:05 PM »
It's got the drama of Trigun, except with fewer funny scenes...I still love it, though maybe not as much now that I've seen everything...I don't really like sad endings... ;_____;
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 01:57:36 PM »
Metaphysical Spirit, you'll love the last two episodes.  Hands down, best anime ending I've ever seen.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 02:00:04 PM »
Trigun is pretty good, though I never finished watching it.  I didn't like it nearly as much as Cowboy Bebop (I didn't mind the show not being serious, but the parts that were serious lacked completely in any sort of style and meaning, to me), but there are many funny parts.  Good show, but it kind of annoys me.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 02:43:02 PM »
Cowboy Bebop is a very, very good anime, no doubt about it.  The characters, plot, emotion, music, animation, action, and everything all combine to create an amazing experience.  My only gripe is that it was too short...26 episodes isn't enough.  The sad ending didn't bug me - it suited the show perfectly.  One of the few times I've ever cried from some form of entertainment...yes, I admit it.  The only thing that bugs me is the <SPOILER> relationship between Spike and Julia, and how it was so short-lived (yes, I know that they know each other from before, but they could have had her a bit more in the other episodes)</SPOILER>.

Trigun is very, very good as well, though the animation isn't so great, mostly because of it's age (about 1993, if I remember correctly).  The show is funny, but it actually gets very serious once you get to around episode 15...and the final seven or so episodes are in some ways even more serious than Cowboy Bebop's.  The plot of the show is very good, and it has some excellent twists and turns.  You have to really watch everything.  Once you get past the first ten or so episodes, things really start to pick up, even though the change is abrupt.  Really, watch the whole thing, you will not regret it.    

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 02:55:58 PM »
Yeah I just got done watching the last two episodes.. and wow. That is up there in my favorites and my classics. Almost too perfect. I don't really like Trigun to much though, I never really watched it. Very good, besides what SearanoX said. It is too short, but the ending did fit it really well. They should have kept it going for a little bit more after ::Spoiler:: Edward leaves the scene and gotten more into Faye. It maybe would have stretched it out more, but I think it would be interesting and kept it going for a bit longer. I also want to know what happens to Jet too. Hrm.. I was very pleased.  

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 03:28:07 PM »
Hehe.......my brother has a Media Center PC and has every CB episode saved and ready to burn on DVD's.  Oh yeah...  he should start recording Trigun....I've only seen one episode and it was very good.  As well as Big O...I only saw one episode of that and it was pretty good, but I don't think the series as a whole is the greatest since no one ever talks about it.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 04:08:21 PM »
CB is very cool, even in a mainstream sense.

Of course, if you wanna checkout the "EXTREMES," look at:

GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka, it's "great" for many unmentionable reasons)

Golden Boy (so good/virtuous yet so naughty)

The Ping Pong Club (vulgarity beyond that of South Park)

Hellsing (BLOOD AND VAMPIRES OH YEAH)

Azumanga Daioh (210% cuteness, yields much comedy if you can properly fit its wavelength)
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 06:16:19 PM »
Is Cowboy Bebop an american show? I've never heard of it and I live in that backwards little country of England. It's so wierd, i live in a place called a Shire. Hampshire to be exact. I sometimes feel the sudden urge to trek across the earth wearing jewelry :S

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 06:24:46 PM »
FLCL, best anime ever.    I loved Trigun, but my heart really lies with Inu Yasha.  Can't wait for the new eps in April.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 10:17:55 PM »
Yeah, CB is an awesome anime.  One of the best I've seen (but nowhere near my favourite anime ).  Like SearanoX; the way it's done, the character designs, music, and the style is very good.  I love the opening music, "Tank!".  And Ed is one of the best anime characters ever!

I plan to buy the boxset soon.

As for Trigun, I didn't find it to be as good as most people did.  It's good, but not great.  Nicholas D. Wolfwood is one cool character though!!!!

Offline DarkSyphor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 10:22:23 PM »
I like wacthing
Akira series
Transformers Armada
Cowboy Bebop
Bubble gum crises
Neogenesis and Neogenesis evangelion
Crush gear

i love wacthing cartoons because im still young
oh and heres my collection of DVDs

Akira
Spriggan
Vampire Huter D
Spirted away
Ninjas scroll (new to watch)
Transformers the movie
Ghost in the Shell (new to watch)
The guyver (new to wacth)
blood, the last vampire(new to wacth)

new to watch means i just got them like 2 weeks or later or earlyer and havent wacthed the whole thing

I love Akira its awsome

I hate long paragraphs, because when i begin reading i fall asleep.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 11:38:51 PM »

Originally posted by: DarkSyphor
I like wacthing
Akira series
Transformers Armada
Cowboy Bebop
Bubble gum crises
Neogenesis and Neogenesis evangelion
Crush gear

You have to be kidding. I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of Transformers Armada and went "arggggggghhhhhhhhh, this is bad"
Beast Wars was really good, and Beast Machines was okay.

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2004, 10:41:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Jale
Is Cowboy Bebop an american show? I've never heard of it and I live in that backwards little country of England. It's so wierd, i live in a place called a Shire. Hampshire to be exact. I sometimes feel the sudden urge to trek across the earth wearing jewelry :S

No, Cowboy Bebop is a Japanese anime.  There are nearly no good ones that are made outside of Japan (although there are certainly some great mangas), and there won't be for some time, because all the people here are concerned with is making money off of kids, and of course, kids can't handle things like plot, character development, or anything else like that, and adults are always too busy watching Alias and Law & Order to pay attention to "childish" cartoons.

Oh, and the Japanese version of Cowboy Bebop is far superior to the English one.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2004, 11:46:46 AM »
I disagree, in terms of the movie, anyway.  I've seen some English episodes and some Japanese, and watched the movie in both.  They're both excellent, of course, but I think that the English version handles it in a more graceful. . . western manner.  And it's very influenced by western culture as it is, so that, instead of being a problem, is an advantage.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2004, 11:49:51 AM »
Cowboy Bebop is actually one of the few animes that I enjoy the English VAs over the Japanese ones...(Trigun being the other)

<3 Edward...

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2004, 01:28:39 PM »
You prefer the English version of Trigun?  The voice acting is...well, horrible.  I can't see how someone could actually prefer it...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2004, 01:51:46 PM »
Trigun's VA, horrible!?  No way!  At least not in the main characters where it actually counts...(Plus, I have a soft spot for Meryl's VA,
Dorothy Melendrez, who just happens to sport major roles in 3 of my favorite anime ^_^ *Rurouni Kenshin, Love Hina, Trigun* )  

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2004, 02:22:32 PM »
Well, I don't usually watch CB, from watvhing the extras on teh DVD of the movie I know I prefer Edward's american voice over her japanese one.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2004, 03:04:43 PM »
Yeah.. I like the English version of Cowboy Bebop better than Japanese version. I don't know if you guys pay attention, but the sound effects are done really nicely in Cowboy Bebop. EVERYTHING is where it is supposed to be, thats not likely in a lot of cartoons/animes. Again, I don't like Trigun too much.

My DVD Collection
-Akira
-Cowboy Bebop Box Set
-Inu Yasha first 4 DVDs
-Vampire Hunter D (Both Versions)
-Fist of the North Star
-Ninja Scroll series
-Spirited Away
-All ExoSquad episodes(Ruined my taste for Trigun)

Soon to be Reign The Conquer. If you haven't seen this anime, and like Philosphy and European History.. this is a must see. The creator of these animes is a genuis like all the other anime series he has done.  

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2004, 05:01:50 PM »
I saw Cowboy Bebop in Japanese a few years before it hit the air on CN, and Faye sounds more youthful and attractive in the original jpn version.  All the other voices sound just right as they were originally intended, without getting into character too much to the point it sounds rather silly and overdone.

I don't recall Reign being anime, and I don't recall its creator (responsible for Aeon Flux and The Maxx) being Japanese.  If it was animated by a Korean studio, it's close, but no cigar.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2004, 09:40:26 PM »

Originally posted by: SearanoX
Oh, and the Japanese version of Cowboy Bebop is far superior to the English one.

CB is one of the few animes where the English dub is EXCELLENT.  All the main VA do an awesome and their voice matches the their character's personality.  Especially Wendee Lee, as Faye Valentine.  I can't really comment on the Japanese VA, since I've only seen the movie in subs.

Originally posted by: Bill
<3 Edward...

Stay away from Ed!  I'm the originator of Ed avatars on this forum.  She belongs to me!  

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2004, 11:24:34 PM »
Faye Valentine in english.

Uncute voice.

Make me vomit.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2004, 11:34:11 PM »
Where do you get the idea Faye Valentine should have a cute voice?  She's a badass bounty hunter who loves to gamble.  No cute voice is needed.