Author Topic: Great games that were never popular? (but should)  (Read 5807 times)

Great games that were never popular? (but should)
« on: October 10, 2003, 09:43:14 AM »
Examples: Eternal Darkness.  Or Wings on the Amiga.  Below is a list produced by gamespy.com... can you think of anything else worth adding?

25. The City Building Series
24. Wizardry 8
23. Blood
22. Um Jammer Lammy
21. Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis
20. Codename: Eagle Multiplayer
19. No One Lives Forever
18. Jumping Flash! I & II
17. Suikoden II
16. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
15. Persona Series
14. Rez
13. Zork Zero
12. Valkyrie Profile
11. Clive Barker's Undying
10. Wheel of Time
 9. Planescape: Torment
 8. Herzog Zwei
 7. Grim Fandango
 6. Rocket: Robot on Wheels
 5. Sly Cooper and the Thievious Raccoonus
 4. Alone in the Dark
 3. System Shock
 2. Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
 1. Ico

Favorite classic games
Space Invaders, Missile Command, Berzerk, Defender, Mario 1.5, Final Fantasy 6

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Great games that were never popular? (but should)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 03:03:33 PM »
I hated Alone in the Dark, System Shock, Undying, and probably some others on that list.

I wish to commend the inclusion of Valkyrie Profile, and Rez though.  Valkyrie Profile because it's one of the finest RPGs I have played, and Rez, simply because of the article on GameGirl Advance.  Anything that cool should be on the list.

But yes, I wish to add Eternal Darkness, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, PTO 2, and... some others I can't think of right now.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:Great games that were never popular? (but should)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 03:27:56 PM »
"5. Sly Cooper and the Thievious Raccoonus"

HAHAHA! oh, sorry...

Mischief Makers, Gunstar Heroes, and basically almost every game that Treasure makes have been sleeper hits that have only a small cult following...like me
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 05:47:51 PM »
i agree totally with grey on that-
valkyrie profile is one of the best rpgs the playstation has to offer- the battle system alone makes the game worth owning and the story is very good- not the norm of other rpgs

and eternal darkness definately stands out as well- that game is very well done and the story is well crafted- it is a shame not too many ever owned that game- it is one of the best the gamecube has to offer

and bill is right- most of treasures games are very very good- ikaruga and raidient silvergun are very good games, along with gunstar heros and mischief makers
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2003, 07:27:34 PM »
Diddy Kong Racing! I know the characters were overly cute, and it was way too hard for some people, but I loved this game! I spent hours and hours playing this game, but Mario Kart 64 overshadowed it. 36 tracks, 4 battle tracks and 3 different vehicles gave this game so much replay value. The graphics were a huge leap from Mario Kart 64, the characters were 3D, and the tracks were interesting and had beautiful backgrounds. The music was some of Rareware's best work, in my opinion. This is the game that made Banjo and Conker, long live DKR!  
Om mani padme hum.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2003, 07:46:45 PM »
Ummmm....  I hated DKR too....
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2003, 09:48:20 PM »
Diddy Kong was a great sleeper hit for me, though not nearly as good as Mario Kart...I might have to check out Valkyrie Profile.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003, 10:36:07 PM »
i lovd dkr...i had so much fun racing and battling with my brother. Sure it was a mario kart clone...but it was a good one. We mostly raced with airplanes anyways.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2003, 11:34:41 PM »
I think Gamespy's list focussed too much on the PS/2.
Look here for a site paying honor to those forgotten games. Especially the Hall of Belated Fame is worth a look.

Offline WackerJr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2003, 02:51:10 AM »
I'm glad that Rocket: Robot On Wheels was included on that list, got unanimously good reviews, but came out around the same time as Donkey Kong 64 and got crushed!

I'd like to add my name to the Eternal Darkness vote as well. Once I got into it I was hooked!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2003, 04:02:40 AM »
WINGS FOR AMIGA SCORE! you have some class after all mr honda basically i could rattle off an arm load of amiga games that most people have never heard of, i should probably stick to games on the nes and beyond. ill have to go with bill on Mischief Makers (love the avatar) its truely an awsome game, 2d games are awsome, and this is awsome for a 2d game.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2003, 06:44:21 AM »
STARFOX ADVENTURES

I cant stand all the hate this game gets, its really really good

Oh, and Eternal Darkness of course. And i think Super Monkey Ball should be alot more popular than it is.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2003, 08:37:38 AM »
7th Saga, I loved this RPG for SNES.  Such a great game that many never knew about.  I also really enjoyed SFA.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2003, 09:10:10 AM »
7th saga was very good.  As is Planescape torment(which i'm currently playing).  But i have to say Shadowrun for the SNES is my favorite game from that generation, and i dont believe it was very popular.  It also was about the matrix before 'The Matrix'.  Also, the Lufia series of RPGs.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2003, 09:20:14 PM »
Shadowrun... I'm not sure, but I think there's a pen & paper RPG of the same name...

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2003, 11:40:40 PM »
Eternal Darkness, all the way... I'm insulted it isn't on their list.

Someone mentioned 7th Saga... I was just considering picking that up to. (Now I'm going to!)

I might have to check out Valkyrie Profile.

Hehe, it is pretty hard to find (with a reasonable price tag).  
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2003, 04:51:47 AM »
Unirally and Shadowrun (both SNES).
I spent many hours on these games growing up, and recommend them to anyone if they can still find them.

For the uninitiated, Unirally was a two-player racing game where you took on a CPU or other player on a course with unicycles (there were no characters, just unicycles come to life), to win (duh). The fun part was the tricks you needed to pull off to gain speed. Always pushing the limits was necessary to win, and it was frustrating to crash and have to catch up, but the rewards of pulling off some insane tricks was very satisfying. It was 2D, and the two-player races were right up there with Mario Kart for sheer fun for the time.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2003, 05:46:30 AM »

Shadowrun... I'm not sure, but I think there's a pen & paper RPG of the same name...

Thats true, and the game is based on that universe.

I would be remissed if i didnt add Eternal Darkness.  I havent finished it, but it has been great all the way through.  Also, Ultima Exodus on the NES was my first RPG, and its great.

"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2003, 06:13:41 AM »
Stupid question, but was Wings that airplane game where you started on thatbig ship and had torpedos and bombs and you had to destroy those Japanese bases and planes?It was fun game, but don't remember was it Wings.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2003, 09:18:02 AM »
balloon fight is this SHlT!!
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2003, 02:39:27 PM »

Originally posted by: Shifty
Unirally and Shadowrun (both SNES).
I spent many hours on these games growing up, and recommend them to anyone if they can still find them.

For the uninitiated, Unirally was a two-player racing game where you took on a CPU or other player on a course with unicycles (there were no characters, just unicycles come to life), to win (duh). The fun part was the tricks you needed to pull off to gain speed. Always pushing the limits was necessary to win, and it was frustrating to crash and have to catch up, but the rewards of pulling off some insane tricks was very satisfying. It was 2D, and the two-player races were right up there with Mario Kart for sheer fun for the time.

you mean "Uniracers"
Awesome game, I own it.
and i know its "uniracers" because I'm looking at the cartride right now.  I've heard the name unirally though, is that the european name?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2003, 03:01:04 PM »
Unirally and Uniracers are one in the same...

Offline gnom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2003, 03:40:10 AM »
here friendsgames.com i found some great games

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2003, 07:40:32 AM »
Are you thinking of Sky Fortress for the NES? You flew around shooting plane after plane while big flying fortresses came along blowing flak at you until you around to an island with this tiny little target you had to torp? Fun as, but ultimately a repeative game, well it had endless levels .
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2003, 03:56:46 PM »
hahaha they called it unirally somewhere, i was intrigued when i saw that game 10 years ago but i never got to play it.  thinking back now it seems like it was made to show snes could do genesis like speed, i mean didnt the cycles speed down a sonic like ground and loopty loop?

anyways i nominate these games: Kirbys Dream Course snes, Waverace BS, Rage Racer
and i agree DKR was awesome