Author Topic: Xenosaga 2: Jenseits Von Gut Und Bose  (Read 7654 times)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Xenosaga 2: Jenseits Von Gut Und Bose
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2003, 05:48:07 PM »

oh, and emulators = piracy becasue emulators allow you to play pirated games, thus allowing piracy to continue.

You could say the exact same thing about CD-Burners, Cassette Recorders, and DVD-ROMs.  Emulators are easily abused, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.  Please actually back up your arguments, rather than just saying you are right.

Maybe you just said something wrong or i'm taking it wrong. Is there any other reason than "it's not nintendo" as to why you never bought a PSX or PS2?

The same reason I don't buy Pepsi.  It's not Coke.  Shouldn't that be immediately obvious?  I am making a statement.  Same reason I don't buy MS Office, or don't use AIM whenever possible.  

I find nothing wrong with piracy. I love my Windows XP, Office XP, Adaware 6, Ahead Nero, my burned DC games, my emulators I love it all and I am glad I didn't have to pay a penny for it. I don't care what anyone says, if you have $100 to go buy something go ahead, for those of us who dont theres an easy way to get what you want.

I hope someone mugs you someday so you can see what it feels like.  After all, he didn't want to actually go out and earn his money, as that was too hard wasn't it?
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline HiTmaN

• View Profile
RE:Xenosaga 2: Jenseits Von Gut Und Bose
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2003, 06:15:14 PM »

I hope someone mugs you someday so you can see what it feels like. After all, he didn't want to actually go out and earn his money, as that was too hard wasn't it?

Ok...um...that was the most pointless and stupidest post I have read to date. Mugging and piracy are not related. I didnt go up to Bill Gates beat him up and steal a copy of MS Office and XP. I simply typed Windows XP into my Kazaa search and downloaded it.

I pirate because I feel these companies have not earned their money. Getting millions for selling some software is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. There are REAL people with REAL jobs doing things for us everyday and get paid and treated like crap. Pirate on!  
Temptation why wont you leave me alone?

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2003, 06:18:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
No I am not.  Emulators are perfectly legal, and there's nothing wrong with them.  You use an emulator just to access this site half the time.  Some of the ads around here are Java based, which uses a theoretical system as a base.  It's universally compatable cross-platform because the Java Virtual Machine emulates that system.

When playing Ocarina of Time on GameCube, you are using an N64 emulator written for GameCube.

Linux users will often use Wine to run Windows programs.  Wine is a Windows emulator written for Linux.

I use a GBA emulator to develop my own software for the system.

Tell me how emulators = piracy in any of those cases.

explain how we use an emulator to access this site, 'half the time'.
ofcourse it is not piracy when nintendo creates an emulation of their own copyrighted software, they own the copyrights...  

regarding using an emulator to play legally owned software (which is exactly what you say you will do) the IDSA [International Digital Software Association] had this to say:

Using an emulator with legally owned software:

"If the sole purpose of an emulator is to allow the playing of a console game on a PC, and the owner of the copyrights in that console game has not authorized the performance, display, or derivative work created when a console game is played on a PC, then the creation and use of that emulator constitutes a contributory infringement of the copyrights in the console game."

The Interactive Digital Software Association also claims:

"Programmers who are properly licensed to create games for a game console use a hardware emulator, which uses proprietary code in combination with a modified console system and other specialized hardware," according to a statement from the trade group.

"In contrast, most emulators that are freely available today are merely software emulators that have no role in the creation of properly licensed video games, and therefore have the exclusive purpose of infringing copyrights," it said.

Nintendo spokeswoman Beth Llewelyn had this to say about N64 emulators:
"It promotes continued piracy."

the dictionary defines piracy as: "one who makes use of or reproduces the work, esp., the literary work, of another, illicitly or without permission."

a form of piracy doesn't always have to go against the current laws in place.
i'm sure in the future dictionaries will also include programming code and distributing art entertainment(music, etc) under the especially part.
if you read the disclaimers for PS2 games, you will see that they say: "Licensed for play on the Playstation 2 computer entertainment systems with the (insert NTSC, PAL, etc) designation only."
not only is this to say you cannot use it on other designations, but that it is to be used on playstation 2 systems only.

and the only reason emulators for ps2 don't use roms is because the games are too large.  

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2003, 06:30:58 PM »

Originally posted by: HiTmaN

Back to the topic, what exactly is Xenosaga, is it the kind of RPG that makes you just say....WOW. I haven't had that feeling in a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

most definitely yes

Offline Zeth

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2003, 06:55:41 PM »
OMG IF I GET A PS2 MY FANBOYISM WILL B ERASED!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111111

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2003, 02:23:50 AM »
Joe: You know the IDSA is most likely a group of suit terrorists that would like you to not know/give up your rights for their profit? The RIAA says there is no fair use, while the law says otherwise.

Most EULAs violate laws. E.g.: Many state you may not reverse engineer a software, while the laws of France explicitly grant you this freedom. So not everything in these agreements is legally binding. BTW, when does one legally agree to the EULA of a console game? It's clear with the PC, but what about the console? Do I agree when I fire the game up? Do I when I hand over my money to the clerk at the store? And what with those games that don't even have an EULA? This area of law is pretty grey and it's not clear whether these EULAs are even legal.

Example: You bought a GC game which came without manual (let's say, used.). Now, the disk contains no info about any licenses, neither does the packaging. That means, you are not aware that there are any contracts involved and probably even own the copy. In case of Metroid Prime (didn't check the other ones) even the manual says nothing about licenses...

That licensed for PS2 probably means they acquired a license from Sony to use the PS2 platform, just as you see "Licensed by Nintendo" on GBA games.

Emulators aren't covered by copyright AFAIK. While a patent covers the way of working (probably a hardware implementation), the copyright is merely for the device itself. Unless you build a PS2 (or paint it or whatever) it's not a copyright thing. I'm not sure, but most countries have additional laws for interoperability as well. Either way, as long as you didn't know you're commiting a crime, the courts will probably let you go free.

Hitman: You know, the BSA could force PGC to give 'em your IP number, then force your ISP to give them your name, address, etc. and sue the hell outta you, whereby the courts would only get involved in the last step? Now you know why I hate Sony, MS and all other members of BSA, MPAA and RIAA...

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2003, 03:31:13 AM »

Ok...um...that was the most pointless and stupidest post I have read to date. Mugging and piracy are not related. I didnt go up to Bill Gates beat him up and steal a copy of MS Office and XP. I simply typed Windows XP into my Kazaa search and downloaded it.

I pirate because I feel these companies have not earned their money. Getting millions for selling some software is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. There are REAL people with REAL jobs doing things for us everyday and get paid and treated like crap. Pirate on!

You seriously sicken me.  Never speak to me again.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2003, 06:09:59 AM »
Ok kids, play nice.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor