Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 700767 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1375 on: August 20, 2017, 10:17:35 AM »
I'm really digging Sonic Mania right now. As someone who grew up with the series I can honestly say this is the first game in over 20 years to really get the feel of the series right, even though this specific approach has been tried before. It's a great blend of remixed themes from the old games but with enough new ideas to feel fresh. My favorite moment so far has to be the final boss battle of Chemical Plant Zone where you have to win a round of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: August 23, 2017, 12:22:42 AM »
Back to Brutal DOOM or it's far more expansive offspring Project Brutality. Combine it with the Hell on Earth map campaign by the same author and you have a what should be sold as a retail game given it's quality and extensive of content.

New enemies, weapons, animations, better tuned difficulty, upgrades, secondary features to help you survive.

Add the Ultimate DOOM Visor if you like a more complete modern look with those sweet Metriod visor effects. The default setting is for maximum realism as visor damage and liquids stay on the visor making each hit more and more difficult for you to play.

Get it here http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/downloads
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: August 24, 2017, 12:22:52 AM »
Technically, I completed Cave Story+ since I got the Bad and Normal endings. I'm currently in Blood Stained Sanctuary. I'm already not great at video games so the faulty D-Pad on the Switch Pro Controller is making this more difficult than it already is. I think I can get through this because Cave Story is a keep-failing-until-muscle-memory-gets-you-through-this-total-bullshit-area kind of game. I've failed countless times because I really need the booster to work flawlessly, and it doesn't due to the D-Pad. I haven't tried the Joy-Cons so maybe I should.

I'm torn between finishing this and just giving up because I'm tired of looking at this game. I'd like to jump back into Breath of the Wild.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 12:28:27 AM by Adrock »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: August 24, 2017, 07:05:46 AM »
Technically, I completed Cave Story+ since I got the Bad and Normal endings. I'm currently in Blood Stained Sanctuary. ...

I still haven't beaten that game's final ending. The ultra-challenging last levels aren't really enjoyable for me, so usually ends with me giving up after a handful of failures... but every now and then I go back to try again on a whim. Maybe I'll just YouTube that ending at some point and be done with it.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: August 24, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
I still haven't beaten that game's final ending. The ultra-challenging last levels aren't really enjoyable for me, so usually ends with me giving up after a handful of failures... but every now and then I go back to try again on a whim. Maybe I'll just YouTube that ending at some point and be done with it.
I've done this many times before. I prefer not to since I have no idea what I'm doing when I revisit the game. That's why I never completed Champion's Road in Super Mario 3D World or like the last 1/3 of Skies of Arcadia Legend. Sometimes I restart a game entirely to commit to finishing it.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: September 03, 2017, 07:39:22 PM »
Had a brief go at F-Zero GX again today, but Christ is it tough! Used to be pretty good at the grand prix mode at least, and cleared most of them on all difficulty levels. However today I just played on novice and totally game over'd on the third cup already! And even if I was careening off the track at breakneck speeds, the A.I. was really good at keeping up until the finish on some tracks. Even had to settle for 2nd or 3rd a few times.

This game is so great though, I love the hyped up music, sound design, the scoring system and especially how it'll highlight your closest rival. It's really enjoyable to run them off the track, and immediately see the rival indicator switch to the car that's one place further removed from yours in the championship. Especially on the lava field track it's super fun to chase after cars and try to ram them out of the race.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: September 07, 2017, 11:29:55 PM »
@Steef: It's so so hard even with practice, but knocking out rivals one by one to stay atop the rankings is such a great feeling.

I got NFS: Hot Pursuit this summer on a steam sale for $5 and just started playing it. It came out in 2010 but it's still got some epic looking scenery. The courses are just the right length, with winding scenery full of eye popping depth (it came out in 2010 but I still think it's a beaut). There's a time limit in each course that awards points if you do well, which unlocks more and more cars, so this game is constantly announcing more unlocks with flashy, whizbang looks at the hawt, licensed high-end cars and true to life stats.

I love the balanced challenge and enemy AI. It's not easy to nudge them into traffic, and even with a crash, you or other racers can still manage to come back. Of course you can also play as the cops and smash things up if you're into rough justice. Great way to get your aggression out til the next F-Zero.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: September 08, 2017, 11:23:58 PM »
I've been playing through Knack 2, and IMO it is a dramatically better game than its predecessor. For one thing, the designers made an effort to finally rebalance the gameplay in favor of something akin to the LEGO games. In the first game, you died in 2-3 hits, no matter how many relics you had or where you were in the game. And when you got hit, that damage was persistent until you either found more relics, you hit the next area, or you died and respawned at the last checkpoint. Now, when you get hit, you lose a pile of relics & get smaller as usual, but if you can avoid damage for a few seconds, the relics fly back on and reattach, essentially giving you regenerating health.

The game also plays a lot more with alternating size & scale. Outside of the Stealth Knack sequences in the first game, you always started a stage small & progressed through the stage progressively growing larger. It lacked variety. Now, you can shrink back down to Little Knack at any time to fit through small holes & find secrets or to navigate puzzles.

Oh yeah, there are actual puzzles & platforming now. They're basic, but I find them satisfying enough.

You also have a skill tree of stat boosts & new moves you acquire by progressing through the story & finding XP crates.

So far, I'm about 1/3 of the way through the game, but I like it so far. I think Sony actually hit the "all ages cartoons platformer" mark they were aiming for, especially since you can play it local Co-Op. I'd recommend it for kids or the Young At Heart (TM).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 03:50:30 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: September 09, 2017, 01:49:08 PM »
I love the balanced challenge and enemy AI. It's not easy to nudge them into traffic, and even with a crash, you or other racers can still manage to come back. Of course you can also play as the cops and smash things up if you're into rough justice. Great way to get your aggression out til the next F-Zero.

Did you ever play any of the Burnout games? Particularly 3 or 4? Those weren't on Nintendo consoles sadly, although 1 and 2 were. It's from the third one onwards where they really allow you to run other racers off the track and send them flying, so that one's probably the coolest.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: September 13, 2017, 04:36:17 AM »
I picked up the Switch version of Rayman Legends, and so far it seems like a very good port of a very good game. It's another example of a game I've owned before but didn't play much of, and I'm hoping that like with Cave Story and Shantae before it, having it in this form factor will be the impetus I need to really dig into it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: September 13, 2017, 04:40:31 AM »
Really? r/NintendoSwitch and Digital Foundry are crapping all over the Switch Edition, with many saying the Wii U version is superior, though reddit tends to house a lot of graphics snobs (they shat on Lego City Undercover due to a sub-par framerate, and that game was fine).
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: September 13, 2017, 04:45:16 AM »
I hadn't seen that. I haven't noticed any technical issues or anything, the only sort of downside is that you can't use the touch screen stuff, which is mostly automated even if you're playing in handheld mode, though a lot of people might prefer it that way. Looking around it seems like it's getting pretty good reviews from most outlets.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: September 13, 2017, 04:47:58 AM »
Hopefully its just the elitist folks poo-pooing it then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BENbHo5cvck
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: September 13, 2017, 07:41:10 AM »
Murphy levels in Rayman Legends are BETTER with button controls than with touch.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: September 13, 2017, 07:43:24 AM »
Like I said, a lot of people probably prefer it that way, but I'd like the option.

J.P. Corbran

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: September 14, 2017, 09:25:43 AM »
Destiny 2 is my mainline game currently.  If you didn't like Destiny 1, you're probably not going to like Destiny 2.  That said, for me, it's some of the best feeling shooter mechanics mixed with light RPG elements that keep me engaged for quite a while.  The story is still generic, but it isn't incomprehensible like the first game, has a start and conclusion, and each level feels so much more full compared to the threadbare levels in Destiny 1.  The few strikes I've played feel so much more interesting than the ones in Destiny 1, namely in how different they feel from the general overworld.  You're still going to be grinding rep to get better gear to beat more difficult monsters and get better gear to play strikes to get better gear so you can attempt the raid, but it is a lot closer to reaching the potential I saw in Destiny 1.

I purchased Absolver, I like what I've played so far in my limited time, but don't have enough under my belt to give an informed opinion.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: September 14, 2017, 11:02:25 AM »
I liked Destiny 1 but didn't play very far into it. That series is something I'd really love to see ported to Switch.

J.P. Corbran

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: September 14, 2017, 11:14:04 AM »
I liked Destiny 1 but didn't play very far into it. That series is something I'd really love to see ported to Switch.

Given they dropped last gen (PS3/Xbox 360) partway into Destiny 1, going as far as to not offer some of the late-life DLC, I suspect they're not going to port it to Switch.  Moreso because they seemed to be going in the opposite direction in supporting the PC, with pretty incredible graphical upgrades and FPS improvements.

I'm playing on PS4 because that's where most of my friends are playing, but that PC version is pretty.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: September 14, 2017, 03:23:13 PM »
Lots of new game playing lately:

Never Alone (Wii U eShop) - Typical indie game in some ways: very pretty artwork, and nice storytelling. But the actual gameplay is clearly subpar. I'm happy to own/play it, but couldn't recommend it to others without caveats.

Rush (Wii U eShop) - Too easy so far, although I'm only about half-way through. Still a fun diversion. Makes me wish that ChuChu Rocket would get a proper re-release somewhere.

Ys Memories of Celceta (Vita/PSTV) - Just started, so not a lot of comments yet. Like what I've seen though. Opening has been fun and easy so far.

Picross 3D (DS) - Enjoyable, but the magic of seeing those blocks chip away is starting to wear off. Despite starting to feel stale at the half-way point, still find myself oddly compelled to keep working my way through.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: September 16, 2017, 09:16:57 PM »
If you don't own Chicken Wiggle you need to fix that now. That game is amazing.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: September 21, 2017, 12:36:08 AM »

Did you ever play any of the Burnout games? Particularly 3 or 4? Those weren't on Nintendo consoles sadly, although 1 and 2 were. It's from the third one onwards where they really allow you to run other racers off the track and send them flying, so that one's probably the coolest.

I liked the game but was a little miffed at first that there was a cutscene at every crash. NFS: Hot Pursuit does the same and it's kinda cool but kinda frustrating to suddenly go from cutscene back to driving really fast.

Other nitpicky things have cropped up since I became a NFS fiend:

*Some races have rubberbanding AI. They'll be hard in the first third and last third of the race, give you a break in the middle, and force you to do the last third perfectly.
*Others only allow you to win with the "right" car, no matter how well you drive, even if the cars are closely matched
*Enemy drivers frequently make tight turns perfectly and somehow end up going even faster afterwards >:-|
*Time limits for medals can be brutal, even with frequent trial and error and incredible driving
*Shortcuts are often not shorter (which is stated in the game) but they're also too narrow to use and the game doesn't make it easy to see ahead sometimes. Loading or framerate issues? Not sure
*There are brief parts of some levels where a whole panel of the screen doesn't load or flickers, which is not acceptable!
*Wish load times were a little faster considering all the retries
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: September 24, 2017, 11:21:50 AM »
I liked the game but was a little miffed at first that there was a cutscene at every crash. NFS: Hot Pursuit does the same and it's kinda cool but kinda frustrating to suddenly go from cutscene back to driving really fast.

Other nitpicky things have cropped up since I became a NFS fiend:

*Some races have rubberbanding AI. They'll be hard in the first third and last third of the race, give you a break in the middle, and force you to do the last third perfectly.
*Others only allow you to win with the "right" car, no matter how well you drive, even if the cars are closely matched
*Enemy drivers frequently make tight turns perfectly and somehow end up going even faster afterwards >:-|
*Time limits for medals can be brutal, even with frequent trial and error and incredible driving
*Shortcuts are often not shorter (which is stated in the game) but they're also too narrow to use and the game doesn't make it easy to see ahead sometimes. Loading or framerate issues? Not sure
*There are brief parts of some levels where a whole panel of the screen doesn't load or flickers, which is not acceptable!
*Wish load times were a little faster considering all the retries

Yeah agreed on all counts really! Burnout is pretty frustrating for sure, but I guess there's not too many games out there like it unfortunately. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted are both by Criterion I think, so they're basically other Burnout games. But despite its many flaws I feel like Burnout 2 and 3 really nail that white-knuckle exuberance by balancing risk and reward so well. Just a shame the A.I. opponents are clearly cheaters haha.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: September 27, 2017, 01:20:25 AM »
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

A - Ranks
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Korok Seeds
uuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Help me I'm caught in completionist hell. :C

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: September 27, 2017, 07:35:12 AM »
Just started Chrono Trigger (DS) again. Although I've played it once or twice before, it was never at a time when I could really put more than an hour or two into the game before having to set it aside for various reasons. Fingers crossed that this will be the first time actually finishing...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: September 27, 2017, 05:51:38 PM »
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

A - Ranks
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Korok Seeds