Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 700749 times)

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #825 on: June 26, 2015, 01:16:12 AM »
Whatever, I'll post twice in a procedural update:

Witcher 3 (PC):

I got properly hooked into the Velen main plot structure, and was really impressed with how the various quest lines meshed together and how much you could affect the outcomes, either through immediate action or long-strung-out consequences. It elevated the experience above the gameplay fundamentals, which remain kind of shitty, and it's very rare at this point that I'll take that trade. But then I went to Novigrad and spent six or seven hours in that ecosystem, and my enthusiasm for the game died off swiftly. The intricate quest design went to hell, I guess because you're in a city and it severely restricts what can happen with the game engine, and it became a terrible dot chasing slog between dialogue scenes with a few perfunctory enemy clots. (Also, fist-fighting in this game is fucking worse than Assassin's Creed 2.) I finished that main thread and resolved to do no more sidequests, and then went to Skellige, but when I saw it was another huge-ass map with a wintery mountain theme, I just turned it off. Might not ever boot it again.

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (3DS):

I walked away from this at about the same time I started Witcher 3, and then went back to it after I walked away from Witcher 3. Compared to the fastidiousness of the Witcher game and long blank periods of traversal, I found myself enjoying this game more than I did initially. All the original complaints still stand, but I've been picking up the 3DS and playing twenty minutes at a time here and then, and find it far more tolerable as a result. The New 3DS boot times and sleep mode are big contributors, and I also don't have to keep track of jack ****. I find myself trying to nail Expert Challenges for a session, because the basic fusion of action-RPG and turn-based elements are genuinely fun in small doses. 

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 05, 2015, 06:28:33 PM »
Spent time with Batman: Arkham Knight It's a decent game, but probably my biggest disappointment of 2015. The Batmobile man, the Batmobile. There is no need to jam it into so much of the action. I don't play Arkham games to play Tank Battle! Why does Riddler care about the car?

On a positive, the game is beautiful and a technical marvel. (PS4) The combat feels good, and there are plenty of little treats they threw into the background for Batman fans.

The tone of the game feels weird though. You know what it felt like? It felt like the last season of a great TV show that has went on too long and half the original cast has moved on and you don't care anymore and just want it be over.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 05, 2015, 07:14:53 PM »
I was pretty disappointed in Arkham Knight as well. Personally, it's possibly the weakest of the Arkham games, even worse than what I played of Origins. There's just nothing "special" about anything you do or who you interact with, as the villains just feel thrown in without a care to how they're used. And yeah...the Batmobile. I like it, but the game uses it as an excuse to turn BATMAN into a SHOOTER as you spend 50 hour blowing up wave after wave of generic tanks. I'm not sure it's my BIGGEST disappointment this year (FF Type 0 HD makes a pretty solid case for it), but it's down there.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 06, 2015, 10:12:57 AM »
Payday 2 (PC): I think I'm in love. Game is buggy more often then not, but the concept and execution of heists is done so much better then GTA V's. Beautiful game but need to be tweaked a lot.

Don't like how it has raped my HDD though with the amount of space it is taking up.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 06, 2015, 11:50:12 AM »
Yeah, my brother picked up an Arkham Knight PS4 last week on a whim, and I've gotten about halfway through most of the content threads. It's a really odd experience and often downright depressing. It looks great technically, it plays as smooth as ever, but the whole thing feels like its struggling for a reason to exist. The batmboile is actually integrated very fluidly into the controls and game systems, but absolutely sabotages the overall experience through the insecure idiocy of its constant inclusion. I usually wouldn't bother complaining about Video Game Logic (TM), but this is Other M levels of bad. Almost every problem or obstacle has Batman go "Hmmmm, what can I do about this . . . I know, I'll jump the batmobile in here in a ludicrously over-elaborate fashion so I can use its jumper cables, nevermind about that batwing."

The side missions are also really wan, open-world-itus activities for the most part, chase 8 transports, beat up 25 checkpoints, clear ten towers, etc. There are very few indoor areas comparable to the intricately designed highlights from previous games. There's also a number of new modifiers and enemy behaviors for the brawling that make the whole process too chaotic and fiddly to manage, on top of fights being much rarer now in favor of batmobile, so you never quite get polished.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 06, 2015, 12:57:47 PM »
Payday 2 (PC): I think I'm in love. Game is buggy more often then not, but the concept and execution of heists is done so much better then GTA V's. Beautiful game but need to be tweaked a lot.

Don't like how it has raped my HDD though with the amount of space it is taking up.
Wait till you get a 30MB update then call it rape. Love the game, but the updates...
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 06, 2015, 07:09:56 PM »
I burned through The Walking Dead: Season 1  on PS4 pretty quickly once I got invested into the story.  Played it a 2nd time with my wife once I knew it'd be something up her alley.  From a storytelling standpoint, this game deserves all the praise it got.  I'll make mention that we had a few technical problems that soured the experience playing through the 2nd time with my wife:

• The 2nd save file that had my wife's save that we were playing together got corrupted in the middle of episode 4.  We had to use my first save file to play through the remainder.  A nice feature we learned of due to this mishap is the "rewind" option, which lets you go back in any save file to a point in the game and let's you play over from that point to the end.  That said, my wife was a bit unhappy she lost her choices from earlier.
  • In replaying the 4th chapter after this, there was a glitch in the Crawford segment that gets you stuck in an area and doesn't trigger the next story event.  wasted a good 1/2 hr trying to figure out what happened before realizing the only "fix" is to keep replaying that section until the glitch didn't happen.

Once we finished up the 1st season and the 400 days DLC, we've started up on The Walking Dead: Season 2.  Immediately the game seems to be a bit cleaner looking & detailed.  The button prompts are also a bit different, as well as adding directional movement QTE to the gameplay moments.  Admittedly, I don't think this is a good addition. 

The story has been ok so far, with playing as Clementine working better than I would have expected to both from a storytelling standpoint and doing a good job of instilling a sense of dread. The first episode has some bad pacing issues in the beginning, along with some events that seem disjointed/purposeless, but picks up as you near the halfway mark.  The 2nd episode has a surprise reveal that I still don't understand how it's possible given the events of the first season, but am curious as to if they'll better reveal how Kenny survived either scenarios Lee gets separated form him.  I'm still enjoying the 2nd season, but there's a little bit too much disjointedness so far and less a reason to be invested as in the first season.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 09, 2015, 03:16:29 AM »
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (360):
This is a weird game.

It sound paradoxical but Portable Ops -- a lazy cash-in cobbled together of MGS3 models and a cheap rope felt more of MGS game than this.

Peace Walker changes every single game mechanic:
  • movement -- can move while crouching, can't move lying down, a complete reverse of how it's been
  • combat -- can't drag bodies anymore but, can slam mooks into walls and each other, also -- chain takedowns
  • mission structure and ranking -- PO already had divided campaign into small missions, but now you can replay them for better score like an action game.
  • alert states (you can bump into people and they will raise an alert but if you taken them down right there this alert will be lifted and won't count)
"Bosses" so far are all just mechanized war vehicles (tanks, LAVs and other similar machines), so there is no personality attached to them, no backstory and no Assasin's Creed-style final speech because it's just a helicopter or something.

These bosses feel like they've either been design around co-op exclusively or with a monumental grind in mind. You only have two weapons -- even less than in Portable Ops! And if you want to take down "boss" non-lethally you need to dedicate one of the slots to either Mosin-Nagant (tranquilizer shooting sniper rifle) or tranq gun.

Weapon limitation wouldn't been as bad if you didn't went out of ammo not even 10% into the fight. So i suspect they want you to level-up your weapons until it becomes good enough so you can kill bosses in one go without calling for support (which reduces your rank). Or just play with three buddies.

If boss has troops accompanying it the only way to approach the battle is to throw a smoke grenade and then take down the troops one by one and send them flying into the air by attaching balloons to them and repeat until there are no more reinforcements.

This is a shocking downgrade in boss design both from gameplay and writing viewpoints. Previous games all had some outrageous great diverse characters that sometimes were even fun to fight mechanically.

Here -- have a tank or something, i dunno.

I actually really like hand-drawn cutscenes, It's actually 3d in-game cutscenes that look bad for me -- because of the same Snake's absent never-changing face, no emotion no nothing, it's like a dead mask. Very distracting.

DMC3 (360):
Spent a lot of time playing and finally after about 3 years and 100+ hours of playing i can say that i am officially mediocre at it. Yay. I S-ranked normal campaign but it took me a ridiculous amount of time and retries.

My main problem is how DMC3 commits you into animations only allowing to get out of the combo in certain windows, so you have to know when exactly is the next opening in a combo and to time them to stay safe and not get hit. In Bayonetta and NInja Gaiden you roll away whenever you like, but in DMC there are moves where you are locked in and can't do anything if you see a demon attacking.

Eventually i just started to completely stop attacking a full second in advance when i see an enemy starting a swing at me. So i just stand there and wait until attack comes and then i do short jump (the most safe evasive move).

Playing this type of game makes me rethink entire Bayonetta combat because of how elementary Witch Time makes it -- basically each time you dodge all enemies get become immovable for about three seconds. Only on Non-Stop Infinite Climax where Witch Time is disabled you get closer to how DMC3 plays on even on Normal.

Assasin's Creed: Rogue (PC):
Game is like a mish mash of all previous games: building city from II is back, and so are random assasins from Brotherhood, but you also have managing fleet from III and IV and overall setting and even characters from III.

Seeing features from II cropping up in this game made me retroactively realize how much of a gamechanger III was. It dropped so much from previous games and it all stick so now seeing "old features" coming back and merged with post-III series is jarring and weird.

By now i am fully a templar for all intents and purposes but game still pretends main character can't put 2 and 2 together and doesn't know it, despite that my new clothes have a templar cross and i a have been killing "bandits" with assasins flags for a while now.

Motivation for main character for going rogue was kinda weak and amounted to simple miscommunication.

Weird how assasins that come up randomly and try to kill me are all identical, scruffy looking women, maybe Ubisoft just made one model and didn't felt like doing another one

Super Meat Boy (Steam):
This game took over my lunch breaks for the last weeks.

In a way this is as much of a grind as managing mother base or launching ships in Cormac's fleet minigame because it's almost endless too -- collecting bandages, unlocking characters, finding and beating warp and glitched levels, getting A-rank times on everything, and each of these little goals may take hours to do because of how stupidly hard it became it this point.

It's obviously much more involved than just staring at TV watching some numbers change though. Beating all levels in a world in one go requires an average player like me to figure out the most safe patterns and play each one of them for hundreds of times.

Most of the characters feel like useless gimmicks, but Ogmo (from Jumpman free games, i actually played several of them before that, they're pretty cool) feels like a full upgrade over regular Meat Boy. It also seems like some of the bandages can only be reached with Ogmo's double jump. Not only Ogmo's double jump gives a lot more mobility but you also get a lot more control because second jump nullifies your momentum in the air.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 10, 2015, 08:49:08 AM »
Taking a break from meatier games before delving into The Last of Us: Remastered, I've been burning a lot of time into Rocket League on PS4.  Very surprised it was announced as free for PS+ on release, as I was mulling over buying it outright. 

The game is like an over-the-top car version of soccer.  The games range from 1v1 to 4v4, but the online games & league mode are the most fun to me in at least a 3v3 mode.  You play on a field surrounded by a cage which you can drive up and across.  There is a boost gauge you fill by running over yellow markers on the ground, whcih are good to catch up to a runaway ball, or if you're aggressive, you can boost fast enough to destroy opponents' cars if you ram into them.  You also have a double-jump that works pretty well for both blocking shots and turning yourself around if you find yourself facing the wrong way.  Games last 5 minutes, which given the fast-pace nature of the game is perfect for a very frantic, generally high scoring game.

Fun game.  Don't hesitate to download if you have PS+.  There have been some occasional challenges in the servers showing offline for the game occasionally, but i'm hoping that's a temporary problem due to the game coming out.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 12, 2015, 04:26:49 AM »
Gotta chime in again about Arkham Knight (PS4):

I'm about 80% done with the content, keeping pace with story progression. It's really just kind of a weird fart of a game, with insane production values. And worse character art design than ever, replete with absurdly bad faces.

I'm overall kind of shocked at how thin most of the main and side missions are, with an aching lack of defined "levels". In one sense I admire that they took the game in such a direction to avoid repeating the open world formula for the third time with the franchise, but it necessitated making the "world" a contiguous space. As a result much of the city feels like it's part of a construction zone with open tower heads and bizarre cut-away spaces that accommodate the fluidity while rendering most of the play space generic and illogically constructed.

Like, so far the only bit that felt like the beautiful core of the first Asylum game was the airship segment, because it was contained, specifically designed, and could not factor in the batmobile, while still introducing a novel environmental control factor.

To me, the first Asylum game felt like Metroid Prime, a joyful leap into a new idea of 3D game design. Knight feels like if Metroid Prime 4 came out and it played like a Battlefield game half the time while dragging along vestigial elements of the original formulation.

A much better tack to take with the game would have been to base it around the team-up elements, which currently act as novelty set-pieces. The instinct with the batmobile, to expand the scale of challenges and involve a second actor in environmental interactions, is sound and compatible with Batman's MO, and would have been far better realized with a batpool of allies you accumulate whom you can switch to as seamlessly as you can call the batmobile, each with different abilities and fighting styles.

I even kind of minorly enjoy the tank **** but it doesn't jibe with the rest of the established gameplay at all and is the knuckle of the whole enterprise. This is reflected I think in the paucity of gadget and upgrade stuff. A significant chunk of the upgrade tree is dedicated to throwing gadgets at punks as you're gliding toward them, a very edge-case scenario that is almost never necessary. Other upgrades revolve around tetchy super-charged finishers and such other contextual scenarios that don't meaningfully rejuvenate the base hook of combat or sneaking.

I'm also bewildered that two of the functions on the gadget wheel are completely optional to the plot (and side plot) and are extremely easy to miss. I happened to find both but if I hadn't I would have had no clue where to seek them without cheating and would be friggin baffled and confused about certain obstacles. Like, if you could find the electro-gloves optionally, that you could activate or not, that would have a major drawback but would change the fighting tactics, that would be a fine bonus for the fastidious, but the goddamned electro-gun and freeze grenades? C'mon!

Of staleness also was the rogues gallery, with noticeably worse and Kindergarten-level characterizations. But I was absolutely delighted when Professor Pyg showed up, I think for the first time outside the comics, even if they whiffed the execution in most ways. I wish more of the game had drawn from Grant Morrison-era Batman. As to the identity of the Knight, this was embarrassingly obvious from this first minutes of his appearance in the game if you have any familiarity with Bat-lore, like even from just watching the cartoons. And from there it gets even more insanely obvious.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: July 12, 2015, 09:41:33 AM »
I wanted to talk a bit about Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze for a second.

I got this game for free thanks to Club Nintendo, and while I would say it's an incredible platformer with the right level of difficulty, I probably never would have played it if it didn't include co-op. I enjoy banging my head against the wall with RPGs, but not so much with platformers, and there's a number of areas in this game so far that I simply would not have had the patience for if it weren't for the inclusion of a determined friend. Also, I have not once been to a secret level because of how insanely difficult it is to find puzzle pieces. That IS how you get to secret areas, right? They aren't just mocking me for getting through the level without exploring every nook and cranny?

The soundtrack is also wonderful, and I've not yet felt like the underwater segments have been overused (I just reached world four). Autumn Heights was absurdly difficult, but the next world (Savannah-something-or-other) was very easy and a great release in terms of difficulty and visuals. The bosses are also something that I would become far too aggravated with if going alone- they are just so damn annoying.

But I can honestly say that I'm enjoying this game, and never having finished Returns, I am much more open to checking that game out again after I complete this one. It might be a rough transition because of controls and graphics, but I feel like I owe it to the series after having played what might be my favorite platformer in a long time.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: July 12, 2015, 04:21:45 PM »
They also used Professor Pyg in the Beware the Batman animated series, although (because it's a kids show) he's substantially toned down from his comics incarnation to be an animal rights nut.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: July 14, 2015, 05:32:20 PM »
They also used Professor Pyg in the Beware the Batman animated series, although (because it's a kids show) he's substantially toned down from his comics incarnation to be an animal rights nut.

Ha, wow, and I thought they'd pussed out on him in Arkham Knight. Motherfucker is dark, these are the dolls:

Also, correction to my previous comments: the electricity gun is required for the endgame missions, you can just find it at any point in the game. In my playthrough upon being warned by Alfred of extra tricky traps, Batman says something like "Good thing I already found it!" It's still a bit silly, and ice grenades are completely missable (and one of the most useful gadgets when you're dealing with mixed crowds with unpunchable WWE guys).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:35:43 PM by MagicCow64 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: July 25, 2015, 10:27:43 PM »
Super Mario Sunshine:

Holy god, how the hell is this camera this bad? After playing about 80 stars into Mario 64 upon its Virtual Console release earlier in the year, I can decidedly say this game's camera is considerably worse. I just can't get past it, even with the fudge of the hover nozzle the platforming here is quite a bit less precise than something like Galaxy. I'm not sure I can make myself go on with this.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 26, 2015, 08:44:46 AM »
Re-playing Half-Minute Hero (PSP, playing via PS TV). Anyone who played and enjoyed 8-bit RPGs will (probably) love this game. The main mode is really a puzzle game based on RPG tropes more than an actual RPG, but is quite funny and very easy to play in short bursts. There are a handful of other modes in the game that really help give the game a lot of variety.  Apparently this game was a massive retail failure - that's a shame because it is a really great, really quirky title.

Also playing The Walking Dead: Complete Season 1 (Vita, playing via PS TV). Part way through the first chapter and enjoying it. Definitely not charming or relaxing the way Half-Minute Hero is, but still engaging. There are some minor technical issues with the Vita versions... but I expect that from TellTale games regardless of platform.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: July 26, 2015, 10:25:07 AM »
Taking a break from meatier games before delving into The Last of Us: Remastered, I've been burning a lot of time into Rocket League on PS4.  Very surprised it was announced as free for PS+ on release, as I was mulling over buying it outright. 

The game is like an over-the-top car version of soccer.  The games range from 1v1 to 4v4, but the online games & league mode are the most fun to me in at least a 3v3 mode.  You play on a field surrounded by a cage which you can drive up and across.  There is a boost gauge you fill by running over yellow markers on the ground, whcih are good to catch up to a runaway ball, or if you're aggressive, you can boost fast enough to destroy opponents' cars if you ram into them.  You also have a double-jump that works pretty well for both blocking shots and turning yourself around if you find yourself facing the wrong way.  Games last 5 minutes, which given the fast-pace nature of the game is perfect for a very frantic, generally high scoring game.

Fun game.  Don't hesitate to download if you have PS+.  There have been some occasional challenges in the servers showing offline for the game occasionally, but i'm hoping that's a temporary problem due to the game coming out.

Rocket League is great fun. Best new multiplayer experience I've had in a few years I think. Very simple to pick up, but difficult to master. They've seemingly got past all their server issues as I haven't experienced any for a while. Get this one PS+ owners before it costs money!!
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline sudoshuff

• View Profile
« Reply #841 on: July 26, 2015, 11:20:17 AM »
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (3DS):

I walked away from this at about the same time I started Witcher 3, and then went back to it after I walked away from Witcher 3.

I'm ashamed to say Dream Team is the only game I've ever stopped playing after sinking 30 hours into it.  I just couldn't take it any longer.  I don't play many games, and therefore don't regret time spent playing games that often, but this was a major regret.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: July 26, 2015, 02:48:49 PM »
Batman Arkham City (PC...through Nvidia GRID on my SHIELD Android TV)
Started playing this on Xbox 360 with my nephews over vacation. Awesome game and series...gonna pick up Arkham Knight for PS4 soon.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: July 27, 2015, 12:41:56 AM »
Super Mario Sunshine:

Holy god, how the hell is this camera this bad? After playing about 80 stars into Mario 64 upon its Virtual Console release earlier in the year, I can decidedly say this game's camera is considerably worse. I just can't get past it, even with the fudge of the hover nozzle the platforming here is quite a bit less precise than something like Galaxy. I'm not sure I can make myself go on with this.
The camera is sensitive enough that you can wipe it to get a better angle during fast-paced platforming. A rookie mistake most people make with the camera in Sunshine is keeping it insanely zoomed out when it excels in the mid range. There's a certain rhythm to Sunshine, especially when using the hover nozzle, that allows for multiple camera readjustments. If positioning the camera isn't important to you in 3D platformers, then I can't really say much more to convince you of its merit.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Woof. I've played Splinter Cell briefly with a friend, doin local co-op, but he more or less guided me though the level and I did as I was told. With the recent Ubisoft sale I decided to give this series a proper go. The game seems to delight in throwing the player into crappy circumstances with under leveled abilities and taunting them with objectives they could in no way complete with a particular play style (ghost, panther, and assault). That being said, when the game does give you time to plan out approaches and hide yourself and your gadgets properly, it's extremely rewarding and satisfying. I was a bit embarassed playing co-op online however, as I was unfamiliar with the map and died many times in different ways. In any case, the missions have been mostly fun so far but I'm going to grind some money so that I'm better prepared for what is to come.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: July 27, 2015, 01:28:09 AM »

The camera is sensitive enough that you can wipe it to get a better angle during fast-paced platforming. A rookie mistake most people make with the camera in Sunshine is keeping it insanely zoomed out when it excels in the mid range. There's a certain rhythm to Sunshine, especially when using the hover nozzle, that allows for multiple camera readjustments. If positioning the camera isn't important to you in 3D platformers, then I can't really say much more to convince you of its merit.

Yeah, I've said this before on this forum in other contexts, but Sunshine is actually an important game in design history for its radically hands-off approach to the camera. Controlling the camera is part of controlling the game. Virtually every 3rd-person game at this point just assumes that you're babysitting the camera most of the time on the right stick as a primary function. Interestingly Nintendo did a total 180 away from that in the 3D Mario games.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: July 27, 2015, 05:39:48 AM »
Maybe it's just because I've been playing a lot of Galaxy 2 lately as well, and in that game the camera just works, without any micromanagement.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: July 27, 2015, 07:23:28 AM »
Because the level design is markedly non-three-dimensional in Galaxy, in that it's perspectives are focused on showing you only what you need to see rather than letting you see what you want to see. In playing Super Mario 3D land, I noted how obvious the hidden stars are, or how simplistic the paths to obtaining them can be. Because you become so accustomed to not-seeing what you want in those titles, it's now obvious where things are hidden. This has an adverse effect in Sunshine, where secrets are hidden in much more obscure places because it's so easy to spot things with your camera.

There's a definite trade off in specific titles, but Sunshine's movement and caned a systems are far nore impressive than subsequent titles in the series.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: July 27, 2015, 07:35:16 AM »
Yes, the way it works in Galaxy is certainly because the more linear design allows them to tailor the camera better to certain situations. But the fact that Sunshine's more open and ambitious doesn't negate the fact that its camera system is an atrocity. This game could really use a Wind Waker-style Wii U remake with a better camera and replacing the blue coin system with actual levels.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: July 27, 2015, 08:06:48 AM »
You use the term "atrocious" quite freely. What exactly is so bad about it? It has centering, focus, and free handling modes.

Galaxy's camera has far worse flaws, in my opinion.

Offline sudoshuff

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: July 27, 2015, 11:05:03 PM »
Galaxy's camera has far worse flaws, in my opinion.

Yeah, like you can't really move it at all.