Author Topic: My Skylanders Adventure...  (Read 13203 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: My Skylanders Adventure...
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 08:26:14 PM »
A) KMart had no exclusives - Toys R Us, Walmart, Best Buy, GameStop and Target all did.
B) TRU had BOGO 40% off and Best Buy had B2G1Free.

I'm surprised you even sold one. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 08:29:37 PM »
I really don't care, and it doesn't surprise me. Kmart is always the last to get in on technology, and we usually have the lower end stuff. Hell, we don't even sell Apple products.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 10:47:39 PM »
I went to a Wal-mart today to pick up a few Skylanders and the shelving for the figures was completely bare. It looked  as a if a hurricane had swept through the aisles and took every figure on the racks. The area was also a mess like a mass stampede had went through the aisle and demolished everything in sight. I am surprised the store did not shut that part of the store down for repairs.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
Hell, we don't even sell Apple products.

Sounds like a merit to me.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 09:01:19 AM »
I went to a Wal-mart today to pick up a few Skylanders and the shelving for the figures was completely bare. It looked  as a if a hurricane had swept through the aisles and took every figure on the racks. The area was also a mess like a mass stampede had went through the aisle and demolished everything in sight. I am surprised the store did not shut that part of the store down for repairs.
That is how it looked for months after Christmas last year when they got popular.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 11:34:33 PM »
That is how it looked for months after Christmas last year when they got popular.

That's funny, where I'm at (outside Raleigh, NC), there isn't much of a shortage with the exception of some of the store exclusives. 

My wife and I are having a blast with the game.  Levels are much more substantive and varied than Spyro's Adventure, and it feels like everything has more polish to it.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 12:19:10 AM »

That's funny, where I'm at (outside Raleigh, NC), there isn't much of a shortage with the exception of some of the store exclusives. 

My wife and I are having a blast with the game.  Levels are much more substantive and varied than Spyro's Adventure, and it feels like everything has more polish to it.
I feel the Exact Opposite about 3DS and Console Version of Giants compared to the original.  The only thing I can really say improved are its harder to find everything.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 12:36:58 AM »
I haven't played much (any) of the console version yet... but I'm loving the 3DS version.  The lack of the timer anytime you finish a challenge - allowing you to easily explore and complete multiple challenges at once and the complete lack of Radiance "Challenges" is amazingly awesome.

The sheep love room is... creepy though.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 09:55:27 AM »
I haven't played much (any) of the console version yet... but I'm loving the 3DS version.  The lack of the timer anytime you finish a challenge - allowing you to easily explore and complete multiple challenges at once and the complete lack of Radiance "Challenges" is amazingly awesome.

You see I feel the exact opposite about that.  I enjoyed the timer after finishing the challenge and Radiance challenges from the first one.  I found I could always explore on a different run through.  Even in the first one I complete multiple objective at once plenty of times.

The Sheep is a hold over because they are using the same model from the Console Version.  That's Persephone's room and they needed to do something with it.

Also feel the Ship is restrictive and not as interesting as the island in the first one.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 12:13:27 PM »

I feel the Exact Opposite about 3DS and Console Version of Giants compared to the original.  The only thing I can really say improved are its harder to find everything.

I can only speak to the PS3 version, as I have not opened the 3DS version, but one of my biggest complaints of the original (despite the fact that my wife and I loved the game) was that the majority of the levels were pretty cookie-cutter in terms of the level structure and how to progress through the levels, with the exception of the background/theme.  Nearly all of the levels also felt pretty short, as well.

For Giants, the levels are definitely longer (at least they take us longer to progress through when we play them, as we're usually exploring them more thoroughly).  I find myself having to actually employ strategies when approaching a mob in this game to effectively dispatch them, whereas in Spyro's Adventure it was basically:

A) approach mob
B) mash favorite move for skylander
C) kill everything in mob

I also feel that the new Skylanders have much more varied movesets, which makes the experience completely different depending on which one you're playing as.

And not that this point is as important to me as everything else, but I think the humor and story is greatly improved over the first.  Everything looks to have better flow and character design (IMO).  I've never had my game crash once, whereas Spyro's Adventure has crashed on us a handful of times.  To me, that all makes it a much more polished and enjoyable experience.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »

You see I feel the exact opposite about that.  I enjoyed the timer after finishing the challenge and Radiance challenges from the first one.  I found I could always explore on a different run through.  Even in the first one I complete multiple objective at once plenty of times.

The Sheep is a hold over because they are using the same model from the Console Version.  That's Persephone's room and they needed to do something with it.

Also feel the Ship is restrictive and not as interesting as the island in the first one.

I'll agree the ship seems much more constrained, but when you figure much of the island is excess empty space, and made it arduous to walk back-and-forth between Persephone, the mole nerd, and the next level, I think the ship works much better if they decided they still needed a hub world.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 12:41:41 PM »

I can only speak to the PS3 version, as I have not opened the 3DS version, but one of my biggest complaints of the original (despite the fact that my wife and I loved the game) was that the majority of the levels were pretty cookie-cutter in terms of the level structure and how to progress through the levels, with the exception of the background/theme.  Nearly all of the levels also felt pretty short, as well.

For Giants, the levels are definitely longer (at least they take us longer to progress through when we play them, as we're usually exploring them more thoroughly).  I find myself having to actually employ strategies when approaching a mob in this game to effectively dispatch them, whereas in Spyro's Adventure it was basically:

A) approach mob
B) mash favorite move for skylander
C) kill everything in mob

I also feel that the new Skylanders have much more varied movesets, which makes the experience completely different depending on which one you're playing as.

And not that this point is as important to me as everything else, but I think the humor and story is greatly improved over the first.  Everything looks to have better flow and character design (IMO).  I've never had my game crash once, whereas Spyro's Adventure has crashed on us a handful of times.  To me, that all makes it a much more polished and enjoyable experience.
Are we playing the same game my experience was a lot different.  Ironically enough we our playing the exact same version with our Wives respectively.

I've got a lot of hours logged in the PS3 version of the original game and I can't remember it crashing.  Now the Portal getting glitchy and eating batteries is another story.

The first one I found the story good and the humor to be entertaining.  Plus their was always a little something.  Like the enemy Descriptions.  This time around they just tell you the new enemies name with no amusing descriptions. 
  • The Script are less lore and more help tips. 
  • While the levels are larger they feel a little to long especially if you are trying to find everything. 
  • The new Skylanders Moveset are in-line with the variety in the first 32. 
  • I do not like how they changed the items from manipulating the right analog to tapping the triangle. 
  • The first one I felt was more challenging enemies wise.  I had to crank this one to hard to get a similar feeling and I'm using my Newbie Series 2 figures. 
  • I am little peeved that my Series 1 don't Register as my figures automatically in Giants. 
  • Portal is easier to confuse this time for some reason.
  • I little disappointed they didn't bring in the dashing from the 3DS games (Would have really liked the jumping but that's another story.)
Its just doesn't feel like this was crafted with as much passion as the first games.  That this is just more or less an iteration. I put the expansions on last night and jumped into them because I was excited they worked.  Lo and Behold they are exactly the same... No new story for the Pie Eating Ghosts.  They might have well just kept them as uber items.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 12:46:49 PM »
Ceric, I'm cutting out the older quotes to keep the conversation streamlined.  My comments are in red:

Are we playing the same game my experience was a lot different.  Ironically enough we our playing the exact same version with our Wives respectively.

I've got a lot of hours logged in the PS3 version of the original game and I can't remember it crashing.  Now the Portal getting glitchy and eating batteries is another story. Battery life was terrible on the old portal.  Ours was on the fritz (didn't always recognize the skylanders), so we bought a portal pack for Giants, and we're loving the fact that the new portal is USB cord, so we don't have to bother with batteries anymore.

The first one I found the story good and the humor to be entertaining.  Plus their was always a little something.  Like the enemy Descriptions.  This time around they just tell you the new enemies name with no amusing descriptions.  Again, I didn't have a problem with the original story, and I thought the original had funny moments, but I find myself laughing out loud more often while playing this one.  It helps that most of the characters are already established.  I personally have no qualms about them leaving out the enemy descriptions, but that's a personal preference issue.

• The Script are less lore and more help tips.  I suppose the lore is less important to me, as it's more a backdrop to the gameplay for my experience.
  • While the levels are larger they feel a little to long especially if you are trying to find everything.  I agree that if you like the levels to be 5-10 minute bite-sized levels for the most part, you're going to be disappointed with the length of each level.  I think it'll be tougher for some kids to get into the game because of this, as well.
  • The new Skylanders Moveset are in-line with the variety in the first 32.  I suppose this may be true to an extent, but again, from personal experience, the characters i've been playing with (potion guy and the hawk with an air gun) seem at least relatively varied in comparison to the ones I played the most as in the original.
  • I do not like how they changed the items from manipulating the right analog to tapping the triangle.  This one took me a bit to get used to as well, but I prefer this method, as I was always concerned about wearing out my analog stick playing the game before.
  • The first one I felt was more challenging enemies wise.  I had to crank this one to hard to get a similar feeling and I'm using my Newbie Series 2 figures.  I've been only playing with series 2 figurines, and have been playing on normal so far.  I'd disagree that it's too easy on this setting, as my wife and I see ourselves getting mauled once or twice, but I'll agree we haven't hit any brick walls yet. But don't you like that they actually provided a difficulty option in this game?
  • I am little peeved that my Series 1 don't Register as my figures automatically in Giants.  I can't speak for this, as mentioned above, I haven't tried using series one skylanders.
  • Portal is easier to confuse this time for some reason.  (See above, I ended up getting the new portal with Giants, which is another big improvement over the original IMO)
  • I little disappointed they didn't bring in the dashing from the 3DS games (Would have really liked the jumping but that's another story.) I agree they could have implemented some things from the 3DS version of Spyro's adventure, but I do like that you can fall off cliffs in Giants.  Makes you have to pay better attention to your surroundings.  But this isn't a big enough disappointment for my experience.
Its just doesn't feel like this was crafted with as much passion as the first games.  That this is just more or less an iteration. I put the expansions on last night and jumped into them because I was excited they worked.  Lo and Behold they are exactly the same... No new story for the Pie Eating Ghosts.  They might have well just kept them as uber items. 

I'm not sure what you mean by it not being crafted with as much passion.  I think a lot of care was taken when they designed the new characters, worked on the level environments, and new gameplay mechanics.  Maybe we were just looking for two different things in a sequel to Spyro's Adventure, because most of what I wanted was similar gameplay with new characters, more detail in environments and character designs, and more varied gameplay options, and I think between the interactive moments with the Giants, SkyStones, and what feels like more variety in boss battles, this game feels much more robust in my opinion.

Maybe you were looking for them to try something that would radically change the game?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 03:36:07 PM »
Parsing the Quote just going to take to long.

I'm glad the new one has a USB Cord.  Maybe I can eventually find one cheap.  I got the 3DS Starter pack because it had a Variant in it.

As of yet I haven't really ran into as many funny moments in this game as I did the original.   As for the Environments I just don't see it.  It feels as varied or maybe even less then the first one so far.  I might change my opinion as I get further along so far though been to more than a couple of areas and they just don't feel as different as the first.  Granted part of that may be I haven't hit anything that I couldn't think of a solid analog to the first game for really.

Skystones is a better card game then the one from the original one.  Though you have to ask yourselves why do Pirates like Card Games so much in the Skylander Universe?

On the Difficulty, having setting I don't mind but, I was expecting Normal to feel as hard as The first game.  Original plan was to go with my Son on Easy, we go a pass through on Normal wife and I. Then do Hard to finish things out.

I don't feel like the little things are there like the first game.  Take Pop Fizz.  In the first game you can recolor the sheep with different characters or make them frizzy.  I was really thinking that throwing a potion on one of them would at the least change their color; at best transform them.  But it just like hitting them with any normal hit.  The ship doesn't feel like their is as much to tool around.

Also Luckitron Wheels can go take I hike.  We've got chapters of everything but finding the Luckitron Wheel.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 02:50:14 PM »

I'm glad the new one has a USB Cord.  Maybe I can eventually find one cheap.  I got the 3DS Starter pack because it had a Variant in it.

Skystones is a better card game then the one from the original one. 

Also Luckitron Wheels can go take I hike.  We've got chapters of everything but finding the Luckitron Wheel.

Here are some things we can both agree on  :D

Can I ask how far you are in the game?  My wife and I completed it last night.  I would be disappointed in the length, but I enjoyed it enough to re-play it on nightmare mode a few times.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2012, 02:58:18 PM »

Skystones is a better card game then the one from the original one. 

Here are some things we can both agree on  :D

Can I ask how far you are in the game?  My wife and I completed it last night.  I would be disappointed in the length, but I enjoyed it enough to re-play it on nightmare mode a few times.
We're not that far.  I haven't been able to dedicate as much time for varying reason.  Some of which actual sprang from this forum.  We are at the Cardboard Town.

Most places so far look like the island from the original. (Brown Paths and Green Grass.)