Author Topic: Bands  (Read 35963 times)

Offline dmbfan755

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Bands
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2003, 03:58:35 PM »
OK, Manunited, i'm glad you think you're all cool and stuff, but DMB raked in more money last year than anyone else in the industry. Almost 2x as much as Eminem made. and since I've never heard of most of the bands posted so far, then I don't think they have made that much. Also, I do agree that it's not really dave that owns it but BAMA RAGS, who is Dave's supervisor/owner, who really owns the music industry. I think I've made my point that dave, having been around for over 12 years and who has played over 1200 shows, is ultimately way better than any other band in existence today. I think that ends the debate. I will be surprised to see another post in this thread, althogh it will probably happen.
If anybody wants to give me any virtual boy games, that would be, Indubitably, Neat-o.  

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
Bands
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2003, 04:01:30 PM »
I think it was cool how Dave fired his entire band and got a totally new one, and didn't bother to change the name at all. It was cool how the sound of the band completly changed and he let a lot of people down between the two albums.

And oh yeah, since when did making a lot of money make somebody a good artist?

Offline dmbfan755

• View Profile
Bands
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2003, 04:14:08 PM »
Real quick, what are you talking about? Dave formed his band in 1989, and only one person quit since then, who was never really part of the band. The original band members were dave, leRoi, and carter, and stefan, and then boyd joined before they were really known, so the band was always intact. they also usually have butch, who playes the keys, tour with them during the summer. He never fired his band. And I now the money really doesn't have anything to do with it, I was just reiterating that more people like dave than other bands I also dont think that 2 electric guitars, a bass, and drums count as a band. I think other instruments are needed. In dave's band, there is a saxophonist/flutist and a violinist, which makes them awesome. Also, they write there own lyrics, have 12 (14 after this summer!) CDs out, and have over 70 songs, all of which are amazing and are written by dave himself.  
If anybody wants to give me any virtual boy games, that would be, Indubitably, Neat-o.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Bands
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2003, 04:24:04 PM »
I think judging someone's character based on what kind of music they listen to is incredibly immature and, well, quite frankly STUPID. Jesus, guys- can't you just accept that other people like different music than you do and leave it at that? Just because someone doesn't particularly like your kind of music doesn't make them any worse than you and liking a particular band doesn't make you any better than anyone else. I may disagree with most of you on what bands are good, but I'm not gonig to insult you because of it. I really expected a lot more out of you guys, especially you, Striker, being a staff writer.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline dmbfan755

• View Profile
Bands
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2003, 04:30:18 PM »
Sounds like a plan.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Bands
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2003, 04:48:15 PM »
????

I say Sounds like a plan ALL the time. That's crazy, I thought I was the only one who did that. Good to know other people out there use superb phrases.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline dmbfan755

• View Profile
Bands
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2003, 05:00:33 PM »
Yeah mouse clicker!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
Bands
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2003, 05:16:08 PM »

Originally posted by: dmbfan755
I also dont think that 2 electric guitars, a bass, and drums count as a band.

ahem... yay for opinions, but come on thats a bit daft isn't it, just because a band doesn't have alot of instruments doesn't make them any less good/talented, look at the beatles for example, completly changed music for the better but OH NO they only had 4 members/instruments for the majority of their songs. hell a duet is still a band.. blagh you love dave mathews band that doesn't make other bands any less good because they have less memebers/instruments

Offline dmbfan755

• View Profile
Bands
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2003, 06:07:03 PM »
We...uh...ended that discussion a long time ago PIAC. (See Above). So lets just get back to naming our favorite bands, not for ripping others    .:sorry guys:.     that's what I created this thread for!

Offline StrikerObi

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
Bands
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2003, 06:40:35 PM »

Originally posted by: dmbfan755I also dont think that 2 electric guitars, a bass, and drums count as a band. I think other instruments are needed.

It seems you know as much about my band as I do about yours. Less Than Jake has one electric guitar, a bass, drums, a trombone, and a sax. They're a punk/ska band.

Aso, they write there own lyrics, have 12 (14 after this summer!) CDs out, and have over 70 songs, all of which are amazing and are written by dave himself.

Less Than Jake has over 50 releases total since the beginning of the band (proof). I probably couldn't count how many songs they've done, most of which are written by Vinnie the drummer (save for a bunch of covers done in their early years).

Offline StrikerObi

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
Bands
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2003, 06:42:38 PM »

We...uh...ended that discussion a long time ago PIAC. (See Above). So lets just get back to naming our favorite bands, not for ripping others    .:sorry guys:.     that's what I created this thread for!

This is an internet forum. You don't just end discussions because you want to. It doesn't work like that.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Bands
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2003, 07:12:32 PM »
First, it has to be locked, and then second lots of people have to be banned for it to work like that.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Bands
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2003, 08:31:11 AM »
Yeah, well sometimes it's best for discussions to end even if there's no way to officially do so. Why are we still fighting over which band is better? It's pointless, exhaustive, immature, and really STUPID. It's like debating over whether PC's are better than Macs- you're not going to get anywhere! You should really be the one saying this, Striker.

Offline dmbfan755

• View Profile
Bands
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2003, 11:51:11 AM »
THe only thing we all seem to agree on in this forum is that GC is better than xbox...

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2003, 03:56:44 PM »
Nah, I'm sure there's a few people here who think Xbox is teh r0x0r.

Gamers are seriously the most divided group I know of.  It often amazes me that we can all classify ourselves as gamers, yet most of us hate the majority of the others.  There's only like 2 things we can all agree on pretty much unanimously.  Everything else we are divided on, and just fight amongst ourselves.

1)  Anti-video game people suck.
2)  Video games are cool.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Bands
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2003, 04:10:11 PM »
I think it's just the internet community in general that's so divided. You usually don't encounter a lot of people who are radically different than you aside from the internet, and on the internet it's so much easier to flame someone about it.

Offline dmbfan755

• View Profile
Bands
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2003, 10:01:24 AM »
I like that... Go Dave!

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2003, 10:13:06 AM »
Anti-Flag
Tossers
Pogues
ThreeBelow
Offspring(older)
Nirvana
SoaD
American Nightmare
Presidents...
Catch 22(older)
Five Iron Frenzy
Mustard Plug

A few more.

Edit, after reading more of the thread I have more to say...I hate you all, your bands are teh suck, you are stupid and immature.  

Seriously...all in fun...  

Offline swimguy228

• View Profile
Bands
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2003, 10:35:12 AM »

OK, Manunited, i'm glad you think you're all cool and stuff, but DMB raked in more money last year than anyone else in the industry. Almost 2x as much as Eminem made. and since I've never heard of most of the bands posted so far, then I don't think they have made that much. Also, I do agree that it's not really dave that owns it but BAMA RAGS, who is Dave's supervisor/owner, who really owns the music industry. I think I've made my point that dave, having been around for over 12 years and who has played over 1200 shows, is ultimately way better than any other band in existence today. I think that ends the debate. I will be surprised to see another post in this thread, althogh it will probably happen.

I know this may be kicking a dead horse, but Dave acheived all of this by keeping the price of tickets for his concerts down around $50-$100. Many other bands, such as Aerosmith, charge $300 for tickets. Dave, just like GameCube, is more appealing in price. This leads to a more diverse group of people attending his concert rather than just hardcore fans. Therefore, more people are likely arttracted to his music.

Without DMB and there reasonable ticket prices, the music industry would have already reached the downfall that it is in danger of.

Dave is the man! (you better thank me for this one Weston)
I pitty da fool who bought da Xbox. ~ Mr. T

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2003, 11:14:58 AM »
You know, I go to more than 5 shows a month now, and frankly, I have seen many more local bands that do far better shows than dave. If price is such a concern to you, I will take my 8 dollar show with a good CD.

And to be frank musical talent has as much to do with good music as my ability to blow bubble gum. How many people would agree that eternal darkness was a good game? How many people agree that Grand Theft Auto is a better game? How many people justify 8 million copies difference?

Very few, which is why very few people believe money has anything to do with talent.

And as for Dave making a lot of money, thats chicken feed compared to what high ranking execs make. (which was the point I was making)

Bands
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2003, 01:55:30 PM »
I guess this follows in the same vein as manunited4eva's last post, but on average, a musician makes between 24-30 points for every album sold. so when u talk about a band like for instance, metallica, selling 10 million copies of the "black" album. multiply that number by 30 cents, then divide it by 4. then go ahead and take out 10 percent that goes to management/agents, and then another 30-40 percent for taxes. artists don't make a lot of money for selling albums. the real money comes from all the touring, something that DMB does constantly. anywho, I also recommend SOD (Stormtroopers Of Death) it's scott ian's side-project punk band, when he wasn't busy tearing sh!t up with anthrax.

Offline dmbfan755

• View Profile
Bands
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2003, 02:00:05 PM »
yeah B you're amazing...

...all right good stuff.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Bands
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2003, 04:08:19 PM »
$50-$100 is expensive for a conert- I saw Incubus and Hoobastank for $30, and Weezer, Sparta, and Dashboard Confessional for $27. My sister sees shows like Julianna Theory, Coheed and Cambria, and The Used for like $15. Even Ataris tickets are pretty cheap.

Offline dmbfan755

• View Profile
Bands
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2003, 04:45:13 PM »
MOuse clicker were supposed to be on the same side.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Bands
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2003, 05:35:48 PM »
I dont' recall taking sides, just saying that bashing someone because of the band they like is stupid. I do honestly think $50-$100 is pretty expensive, though. My mom wants to go to a Fleetwood Mac concert that would cost $220 a ticket (and Stevie Nicks won't even be there!). I think bands, no matter how big, shouldn't charge outrageous amounts for their concerts. They make enough money on album sales. Luckily most of the bands I like are pretty underground, so cheap tickets are all but insured.